Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,806 members, 7,956,062 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:07 PM

Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair - Fashion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair (100458 Views)

Tips On How To Grow Your Natural Hair Using Cooking Ingredients / 5 Tips On How To Protect Your Natural Hair This Harmattan Season / Check Out My Natural Hair 2 Years After Being Mocked About My Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by omotoyecable(f): 6:48pm On Aug 10, 2017
Jigba:

I think henna comes in many colours, Im not sure though.
Well you can dye your hair if you want to, but be aware it might dry out your hair and thin it out. I would advise you to deep condition regularly at least once a week. Also, moisturise your hair more often than before.
yea it comes in many colours for the ones mixed, i used the native one that is suppose to dye my hair straberryred. Btw, can you reccomend a good conditioner+ moisturizer, and other product that would help my hair grow healthy. i've been using coconut/olive oil and shea butter, black soap as shampoo, and v05 conditioner since i transitioned.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 10, 2017
omotoyecable:
yea it comes in many colours for the ones mixed, i used the native one that is suppose to dye my hair straberryred. Btw, can you reccomend a good conditioner+ moisturizer, and other product that would help my hair grow healthy. i've been using coconut/olive oil and shea butter, black soap as shampoo, and v05 conditioner since i transitioned.

I think you probably bought the fake one. Maybe try to get the original one.
I heard the vo5 conditioner is good. Also, you use coconut oil, olive oil and shea butter. I don't really think you really need anything, but if you can get the Cantu leave-in-conditioer, it would be great. That's the only product that keeps my hair moisturised smiley
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by AgbenuAnna(f): 4:05pm On Aug 12, 2017
lovelygurl:

Awww I'm so happy for you. I knew you wanted to grow it very bad cheesy cheesy

You don't have to be scared of weavons lol, as long as you tell them to leave your edges alone, they'll be fine. This usually depends on your style though. Just don't let them apply to much pressure to it. It's very "fragile"
thanks I will fix next week
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by tatacherie: 1:49pm On Aug 16, 2017
Been following this thread for sometime now..I'm happy i can now manage ma petite's hair well
Pinterest has also been so so helpful

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 16, 2017
tatacherie:
Been following this thread for sometime now..I'm happy i can now manage ma petite's hair well

So gorgeous kiss. You are doing well by raising a little naturalista, Kudos to you smiley
Pinterest is great. It helped me a lot too during my transition journey

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Peachess(f): 12:13am On Aug 18, 2017
This thread has really been helpful, I did the big chop two weeks ago after transitioning for about three months. Please I'm new and have a lot of questions.
*I wanna know if I can use the castor oil sold in the pharmacy?
*Is it the common olive oil some Christians use for anointing, the one you guy are talking about?
*Please is there any DIY style for a 3inches 4c hair type you guys can share?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by tatacherie: 2:48am On Aug 18, 2017
Jigba:

So gorgeous kiss. You are doing well by raising a little naturalista, Kudos to you smiley
Pinterest is great. It helped me a lot too during my transition journey
Aww thanks smiley
Yea sure it is..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:35am On Aug 18, 2017
Peachess:
This thread has really been helpful, I did the big chop two weeks ago after transitioning for about three months. Please I'm new and have a lot of questions.
[Ib]Is it the common olive oil some Christians use for anointing, the one you guy are talking about?[/b]
I really have no idea how the castor oil sold at pharmacy is, but sure you can use it. The olive oil used by Christians are mostly refined so I wouldn't advise you to use it, unrefined one works better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmirLRm0xkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fmoaHCi7X8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUs03yVxrNU
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 10:20pm On Aug 18, 2017
tatacherie:

Awww her hair is so beautiful and seems so soft kiss
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 18, 2017
Hi all.. My hair is also natural. But pls can you recommend a hair cream for treating dandruff?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by tatacherie: 3:22am On Aug 19, 2017
lovelygurl:

Awww her hair is so beautiful and seems so soft kiss
Oh yeah!
Thanks a lot for the inspiration.(opening this thread) God bless you real good

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Peachess(f): 11:14am On Aug 19, 2017
Jigba:

I really have no idea how the castor oil sold at pharmacy is, but sure you can use it. The olive oil used by Christians are mostly refined so I wouldn't advise you to use it, unrefined one works better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmirLRm0xkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fmoaHCi7X8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUs03yVxrNU

Thanks, I can't wait for those huge afro and coils.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 19, 2017
Peachess:

Thanks, I can't wait for those huge afro and coils.

You are welcome wink
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 20, 2017
tatacherie:

Oh yeah!
Thanks a lot for the inspiration.(opening this thread) God bless you real good

Awww thank you cheesy

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 20, 2017
cutiem:
Hi all.. My hair is also natural. But pls can you recommend a hair cream for treating dandruff?

To be honest I don't know any but I looked into the causes of dandruff and think the most likely option is, your scalp is dry.

You can do the hot oil treatment by mixing olive oil and coconut oil together or any other kind of oil. Make sure it's warm, not too hot and then apply on scalp before washing it away after 30 mins . Also look into your shampoo if they have any sulphates or silicones. They might be too strong

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 22, 2017
buy your pure natural coconut oil... very very affordable and again is pure not mixed. 07068698924

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ginaz(f): 1:25am On Sep 03, 2017
Lovelygurl you won't believe me on this. ...I tried everything, even wasted 7k to buy shampoo and conditional with moisturizing oil still my hair refused to get soften. cry embarassed

I said OK, let me try black soap but it was a disaster, my hair got dried no matter the leave in conditional I soaked my hair with. It was like my hair developed a potbelly to drained all moisture.

I tried kernel oil, someone advised (oh Lord, my hair went bankrupt and dried up, it was horrible)

The thing now is, conditioners and whatever the heck they are doesn't soften or moisture my hair...nothing does...or if it does eventually, it dries out quickly.

I almost wanted to put a damn relaxer on it.....chaiii.

Only thing that does soften it is thread( and I hate rubber thread eh)

I'm on one right now, I decided to used wool to make it fashionable.

Please o, advise on what to do now as I'm loosing my wits. I have a really hard and strong hair.

*don't mind my oily head, the saloon woman wanted to anoint oil on my head. I won't blame her cos that was the only way she could have managed to get my hair fixed.*

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:10am On Sep 03, 2017
Ginaz:
Lovelygurl you won't believe me on this. ...I tried everything, even wasted 7k to buy shampoo and conditional with moisturizing oil still my hair refused to get soften. cry embarassed

I said OK, let me try black soap but it was a disaster, my hair got dried no matter the leave in conditional I soaked my hair with. It was like my hair developed a potbelly to drained all moisture.

I tried kernel oil, someone advised (oh Lord, my hair went bankrupt and dried up, it was horrible)

The thing now is, conditioners and whatever the heck they are doesn't soften or moisture my hair...nothing does...or if it does eventually, it dries out quickly.

Please o, advise on what to do now as I'm loosing my wits. I have a really hard and strong hair.

*don't mind my oily head, the saloon woman wanted to anoint oil on my head. I won't blame her cos that was the only way she could have managed to get my hair fixed.*

grin grin

A product does not have to be expensive to work.

I read it again and you didn't mention any DEEP conditioner.
Also water is what moisturise your hair NOT oils etc. Leave in conditioners and oil prevent moisture from escaping. They seal in the moisture/water

The wool looks dope though cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ginaz(f): 8:58am On Sep 03, 2017
lovelygurl:

grin grin

A product does not have to be expensive to work.

I read it again and you didn't mention any DEEP conditioner.
Also water is what moisturise your hair NOT oils etc. Leave in conditioners and oil prevent moisture from escaping. They seal in the moisture/water

The wool looks dope though cheesy

Thanks grin

But I used a deep conditional and I moisture too. I have a small spray bottle of water I use everyday to moisture my hair. I must have forgot to mentioned these facts yesterday. In fact it was the lady at the market to gave me a deep conditional. (olives products) it didn't work on my hair. Lovelygurl, see eh, you must find solution for me or I arrest you o. angry
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 03, 2017
Ginaz:

Thanks grin

But I used a deep conditional and I moisture too. I have a small spray bottle of water I use everyday to moisture my hair. I must have forgot to mentioned these facts yesterday. In fact it was the lady at the market to gave me a deep conditional. (olives products) it didn't work on my hair. Lovelygurl, see eh, you must find solution for me or I arrest you o. angry

Lol but I'm too you g to go to prison grin

I don't know what you are doing wrong but I will tell you what I do

Once a week

Prepoo with coconut oil and let it sit for two hours. Sometimes I start late and just sleep with it. During this time it's covered up in a shower cap and those really wooly winter caps, anything that's going to keep my head warm.

Then I shampoo

After that I deep condition. My deep conditioner is not moisturizing enough so I add a lot of coconut oil and mix it with it, till everything's creamy. I wear my shower cap again and my winter cap and leave it for 30 mins.

After that I wash it off and apply a leave in conditioner and coconut oil WHILE it's wet. My hair doesn't absorb products properly when it's dry or eve n damp.

That's actually all.

When I sleep I wrap it around in a silk scarf so the moisture won't escape and the next morning if I feel it's not moisturized enough, I spray with water and add a leave in.

This is not necessary but I love extremely full edges and always spray water and massage my edges with oil before going to bed. It doesn't take long... probably 2 mins

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ginaz(f): 10:06pm On Sep 03, 2017
OK lovelygurl, I will copy and paste your routine in my life. grin

Thanks and muah. kiss

Wait, there is this thing I wanna ask...you mentioned you prepoo once in a week, does that mean you don't make your hair? Like braiding and all that?

3 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:03am On Sep 05, 2017
Ginaz:
OK lovelygurl, I will copy and paste your routine in my life. grin

Thanks and muah. kiss

Wait, there is this thing I wanna ask...you mentioned you prepoo once in a week, does that mean you don't make your hair? Like braiding and all that?

Lol, I do they are now in braids. It's whenever it's not in any protective style that I do it every week. Usually when it's open then it is for at least a month before making another protective style
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ginaz(f): 8:31am On Sep 05, 2017
lovelygurl:

Lol, I do they are now in braids. It's whenever it's not in any protective style that I do it every week. Usually when it's open then it is for at least a month before making another protective style

But someone told me that if you wanna maintain a natural hair you got to get it fixed immediately after taking the former one off. I find it horrific, won't the hair be given a moment for rest? How can you make your hair immediately after the other? They said my hair is strong because I leave it too much before the next fixed. Is it true?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 1:29pm On Sep 05, 2017
Ginaz:

But someone told me that if you wanna maintain a natural hair you got to get it fixed immediately after taking the former one off. I find it horrific, won't the hair be given a moment for rest? How can you make your hair immediately after the other? They said my hair is strong because I leave it too much before the next fixed. Is it true?

That's not entirely true. It's all about finding a balance. Too much of everything is not good. If you always fix it immediately after taking one down, you don't really get the chance to take care of your hair properly, leading it to being dry. When it's dry, its hard and it breaks off.

Protective styles are only there to retain length. Without protective styles, you'll probably be manipulating your hair too much, making it break off.

The best to thing do is make sure you carry a protective style for 6 months and your natural hair for 6 months too. I'm not saying Janaury to June= protective style etc.

You can have braids or any style you want for a month. Then make sure when you loosen it, you leave It for a month too. It could be 2 weeks, 6 weeks etc., it's all up to you.

Just make sure you choose carefully. It makes more sense to have a protective style during months that are cold than during months where the weather is good.

Your hair is not strong because you leave it too much before the next is fixed. By fixing it too much, your scalp wouldn't be clean, which means your hair will be growing slowly because of the dirt. It also means you won't be able to wash and CONDITION, which is what makes your hair soft.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by ammyluv2002(f): 11:02am On Sep 06, 2017
Lovely thread! Thank you Op for creating this!

I have been using "WE" natural hair products from Ghana, but I'm not really getting results. I have a 4c hair so i do my LOC every morning. I'm not faithful when it comes to deep conditioning, but I want to more careful with my hair now. I bought enough wigs so I'm not ready to stress my hair

I have castor oil, olive oil and coconut oil which I added to my shea butter. Then, I also have oil mix, but the thing is that I want to change all my oils to Jamaican black castor oil, Virgin Coconut oil,a better Olive oil ,Aloe vera gel & honey.

Please can you kindly advise me on the best deep conditioner, leave in, shampoo and Conditioner? I'm thinking of Shea Moisture or Cantu(tho they are annoyingly expensive)

Secondly, you mentioned it's okay to pre-pop once a week and you also said we should use shampoo to wash it off? Please, can you state the right method for washing? Like the first thing to do then followed by this or that. If it's possible to make a time table for us to follow.

Lastly, please can you help with some of the DIY ingredients you know for;
Shampoo
Leave in
Deep conditioning.

I have tried using Google, but most of the ingredients are hardly available. Please, is it truly necessary to use satin cap cause I find it very stressful to use

God bless you Sis!

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by 1Sharon(f): 4:41am On Sep 07, 2017
Ginaz:

That wool is sucking the moisture out ur hair gurl..
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:41am On Sep 08, 2017
ammyluv2002:
Lovely thread! Thank you Op for creating this!

I have tried using Google, but most of the ingredients are hardly available. Please, is it truly necessary to use satin cap cause I find it very stressful to use

God bless you Sis!

I haven't tried shea moisture products BUT I have tried the Cantu leave in conditioner and I looooove it. It might be expensive but you don't really need much, especially since deep conditioning is the big deal. It's likely your Cantu leave in lasts for 3 months.

I don't really have a number 1 shampoo, that I use. I change it constantly. I also don't know if they're in Ghaana or even Nigeria because they are German products. Seriously any shampoo without sulfates or silicone will do. Using the alverde shampoo at the moment.

The deep conditioner I use is also a German product. To be honest it's not as moisturizing as I would love it to. So I use it as a base for a 'diy deep conditioner'. I had a lot of coconut oil because I found out coconut oil in deep conditioners make my hair super soft. Sometimes when I feel like I add olive oil too. (All my oils are cold pressed =virgin oils). When it gets too "thin" I had honey too to "thinken" the consistency. So to me any deep conditioner will do, it doesn't have to be expensive. If it's not giving that much moisture you can always add oils to it.

I always prepoo before i shampoo. Prepoo is just an abbreviation of pre shampoo. What you do before shampoo.

1) Pre poo
I detangle my hair with coconut oil. If you use a comb, start from the bottom and then gradually move to the top. Most people start from the top but the knots are in the bottom. If you start from the top, you pull your hair out when you get to the bottom. So starting from the bottom is always the best option. Then I just wear a shower cap and leave the coconut oil for 2 hours or sth. Sometimes 30 mins, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes over night, depending on how tired I am (or erm actually how lazy I am).

2) Shampoo

Just washing your hair, but focusing more on your scalp. The scalp is where your hair grows from. If it's dirty, your hair is going to grow slowly.

3) Deep condition

You apply your deep conditioner just the way your apply a relaxer. It's better to take your time and part it in little sections than in bigger ones in order for you to not miss a spot. I leave the deep conditioner for 30 mins. The thing is if you leave it for more, it won't absorb more. After 30 mins your hair has already absorbed whatever it can absorb. If you want, you can wear anything to keep your hair warm. A really wooly cap e.g anything that will warm up your hair so the deep conditioner penetrates into your strands. It's like a body cream. Your rub it in between your hands creating warmth before applying it. If you don't then it's more likely it just sits on your skin

4) After washing the deep conditioner off, I apply olive oil to my scalp and edges . I just always think it does NOT make sense to do this AFTER a leave in conditioner. A leave in is for your hair. It's too heavy for your scalp and will only sit on it, just like dirt stopping hair from growing. If I apply a leave in first and then want to moisturiser my scalp. I always feel like I'm rubbing the leave in from my hair strands into my scalp too. But unintentionally. I don't know if that makes sense. It's not really a rule or sth, it's what I do

5) Adding a leave in conditioner on my on hair

6) If I feel like, I add a little bit oil to seal the leave in conditioner in. This time on my hair NOT on your scalp. If I feel like because I love touching my hair but I hate the oil that will be on my fingers.

A satin cap/ scarf helps keeping the moisture from escaping. It's just like wearing a hair net. Why do you think it's stressful?

You wash your hair every week or 2nd week, depending on how fast your scalp builds up. To know that just scratch your scalp a little bit after a week. If it is then wash every week. If not then every 2 weeks. Or every 1 and a half week. It really depends on you. Just choose a day you have time to do the 5-6 steps of washing. And air drying.

If you have a protective style in e.g braids or wigs then wash it every 2 weeks or every month or sth. It is really up to you to decide

3 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Fabulousb36(f): 6:18am On Sep 08, 2017
Ginaz:

I will recommend cantu leave-in conditioner. That's what I use and it works perfectly. After applying the leave-in lock the moisture with shea-butter.
check my signature for a natural hair cream and oil.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Fabulousb36(f): 6:32am On Sep 08, 2017
For moisturizing and detangling, I use my spray bottle that has 50% water, 20% leave-in and 30% oil ( hair wonder oil, coconut oil, castor oil and mostly olive oil since its d cheapest)
For deep conditioning I use leave-in, mayonnaise, avacado, honey and olive oil mixed together. check YouTube for more ideas

When you want to detangle bear in mind that you want the least possible breakage to achieve your hair goals.
PROCEDURE
Section hair
Pick one section
Use ur finger to detangle gently
Finger comb
Spray or moisturizing mixture from spray bottle and massage for a while
Finally comb using a big tooth comb.
Repeat for all sections

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Fabulousb36(f): 6:41am On Sep 08, 2017
omotoyecable:
cantu leave-in should be OK. black soap is equally good but make sure you pre-poo if not your hair will be so dry AF. Finally for hair growth and dandruff treatment I've been using Hair Wonder hair cream and oil and it works.

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Fabulousb36(f): 6:45am On Sep 08, 2017
Peachess:
*Is it the common olive oil some Christians use for anointing, the one you guy are talking about?
Bantu knots and twist out will look good. I have my 1st month twist out on my dp
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:53am On Sep 08, 2017
Fabulousb36:

For me cantu is the best, its expensive tho. I've been using mine since I started transistioning and it hasn't even gone half its been almost 8months, just learn how to manage it.
for moisturizing and detangling, I use my spray bottle that has 50% water, 20% leave-in and 30% oil ( hair wonder oil, coconut oil, castor oil and mostly olive oil since its d cheapest)
For deep conditioning I use leave-in, mayonnaise, avacado, honey and olive oil mixed together. check YouTube for more ideas

check my signature for natural ways to enhance hair growth
Honestly Cantu is the best leave-in-conditioer. Makes the hair so so soft

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

Tiniest Waist: Su Naing To Beat 1939 Guiness World Record (Photos) / Miss Nairaland Contest 2016 - Elimination Round 1 / Before & After: Girl Bleaches Skin And Abuses Dark-skinned Girls..lol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.