Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,570 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Waiting For 'up Nepa' ( A Story About Nigerian Power Sector) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Waiting For 'up Nepa' ( A Story About Nigerian Power Sector) (682 Views)

The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. / Jane's dilemma(A short story about love and double-dating)by Onojeta Grace / CHOICES AND Chances(a Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Waiting For 'up Nepa' ( A Story About Nigerian Power Sector) by Divepen1(m): 5:30am On Feb 28, 2017
There was no noise anywhere for the first time in a long time as I moved to urinate in the toilet. The silence was extremely unbearable.

Did I sleep till the next day? I rushed to the parlour and went outside. The sky was dark and there were light in the different houses of our street. There was an unusual silence.

Oh I lie! There was the regular noise of Tunde and Segun, my playful four-year-old friends (they were actually twins); there was the noise of our neighbour Mr. George and Aunty Grace, another neighbour whose moan and cry of ‘oh more!’ never ceased to filter to my ear. Mum had told me to always leave that side of the house whenever I hear that noise that it would corrupt my heart, and I believed her.

But I still searched for that humming, buzzing, head-pounding noise which was not there again. I hurriedly ran inside, to the kitchen and tugged my mum’s wrapper, not minding that she was still shouting instructions to my elder siblings- Segun and Tofunmi- to put water in the fridge and to dust the pepper-blender we had never had cause to use in a long time.

‘Mummy, everybody have buy big generator.
They have off their generator and we also have light’, I said half delighted, half surprised that we who couldn’t afford generator (whose father still returned home with his dusty, tattered shoes, distraughtedly after searching for jobs, whose mother was the bread winner )would be
able to afford a generator.

She smiled brightly at me and shook my head playfully, ‘no honey. PHCN has restored our
light’.

I nodded and the light went off and returned again then I learnt a new phrase, ‘ Up NEPA’. Then, the light went off again. And the generators resumed their duties.

Seeing the need to take count, I began to watch out for the day people would cry the phrase again, but it came only twice in November- once on a Sunday and the second time on Friday for five minutes.

It came again last month, but nobody put off their generator for two hours. But the light remained, till 5 a.m and went off. This is February.
We are still expecting the shout of ‘Up Nepa’.
Re: Waiting For 'up Nepa' ( A Story About Nigerian Power Sector) by TreasuredLeidy(f): 6:29am On Feb 28, 2017
interesting
Re: Waiting For 'up Nepa' ( A Story About Nigerian Power Sector) by Divepen1(m): 7:28am On Feb 28, 2017
TreasuredLeidy:
interesting
Thanks
Re: Waiting For 'up Nepa' ( A Story About Nigerian Power Sector) by dasilver20(f): 12:43pm On Mar 02, 2017
Amazing facts about niger weldon bro
Re: Waiting For 'up Nepa' ( A Story About Nigerian Power Sector) by dasilver20(f): 12:45pm On Mar 02, 2017
But have not been seeing your break light in my thread CROSSROADS e no gud o
Re: Waiting For 'up Nepa' ( A Story About Nigerian Power Sector) by Divepen1(m): 6:27am On Mar 22, 2017
dasilver20:
Amazing facts about niger weldon bro
Just seeing this.. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

I Found My Story On One Rogue Site / RUMOUR HAS It.......a Kanzahsays Series / Having To Sleep Under The Bed You Made

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.