Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,257 members, 7,953,970 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:01 AM

Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students (22179 Views)

Queen’s College Student Who Fixed Fake Eyelashes To School To Face Panel / Queen's College Student Fixed Eyelashes "For School Play" / Queen's College Orphan Pupil Buried (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by marryjesus: 6:35am On Feb 28, 2017
The management of Queen’s College, Yaba, in Lagos, has sent senior students home, after two students allegedly died of diarrhoea, between Thursday, February 23 and Friday, February 24, 2017.

Two female boarding students, Vivian Osuinyi and Bithia Itulua reportedly died after vomiting and stooling after they allegedly ate Spaghetti and drank water served in the Refectory by the college cooks.

The school sent the students home on the directive of officials from the Federal Ministry of Health and their colleagues from Lagos State who have opened investigations into the deaths.

Already, the officials from the Federal Ministry are in the school, to determine what allegedly killed the two female students.

Following outbreak of diarrhoea in the school, parents, whose wards resumed on Monday, contacted officials of the Parents Teacher Association (PTA), to find out the situation of things.

Only Senior Secondary III students resumed on Monday, to complete their examinations while the junior students were expected in school next week, but, with the outbreak of diarrhoea and the directive by health officials to send the students home, it will affect the resumption of other students.

Some parents told Daily Sun, yesterday, that the school management ought to have taken pre-emptive measures when, a month ago, some students started vomiting and stooling in the dormitory and were rushed to the sickbay by their colleagues.

A senior staff confirmed to Daily Sun that health officials have directed that the SS III students will be sent home to enable Lagos State health officials investigate the source of the diarrhoea as well as carry out environment exercise in the school.

“As soon the SS III students finish their Mathematics examination, today, they will go home. We have informed parents about their coming home. The health officials insisted the students must vacate the college to allow for thorough investigation.”

The staff, however, added that, “some parents are just blowing the issue out of proportion. The issue started a month ago when some students complained and were treated at the sickbay and two weeks ago, a student vomited and stooled and she died later. The new Old Girls Association president called the principal to inform her of another death which we are yet to confirm.’’

Daily Sun gathered that Minister of Health, Prof Isaac Adewole has visited the school.

Also, it was gathered that Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris called to instruct that health officials be allowed to carry out their investigation,.

Director of Information and Press of the Education Ministry, Mrs. Ihuoma, did not respond to calls and text messages sent to her phone on what the ministry was doing about the situation at at Queen’s College.
mora at http://www.akelicious.com/2017/02/queens-college-shut-over-death-of-2.html

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Nobody: 6:45am On Feb 28, 2017
How sad....young lives cut short because of simple dehydration or electrolytes imbalance...rip to the dead

12 Likes

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by adioolayi(m): 6:46am On Feb 28, 2017
Food poisoning.... Food intoxication...This could have been avoided by simple hygiene practice as simple as hand washing by the food handlers.... RIP to the dead, may God comfort their parents and loved ones.

20 Likes

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Einl(m): 7:07am On Feb 28, 2017
In other countries, arrests would have been made by now.
Two children died in a school??
That is a terrible scandal.
May their souls rest in peace. Amen.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by izzou(m): 7:10am On Feb 28, 2017
sad

I can't just imagine how it feels to lose a child.

Chai

2 Likes

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by MrSmith007: 7:11am On Feb 28, 2017
Sad news

1 Like

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Nobody: 7:12am On Feb 28, 2017
RIP to the dead!
May God be with their parents at this challenging period!
I hope fllatties will not come to blame PMB for this? The flat-head has made thier brains flat

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by AkachukwuD(m): 7:12am On Feb 28, 2017
RIP to them

But are the sure it diarrhoea

1 Like

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by HalfAmazing(m): 7:13am On Feb 28, 2017
Medicine after death. Nah now dem wan find out wetin kill the students. RIP to the two young mind.
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by emvico(m): 7:13am On Feb 28, 2017
i hope they have not use them for rituals
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Eprolist: 7:13am On Feb 28, 2017
Eaya
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by princeade86(m): 7:14am On Feb 28, 2017
RIP

1 Like

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by anonymuz(m): 7:15am On Feb 28, 2017
Oktoberfest:
How sad....young lives cut short because of simple dehydration or electrolytes imbalance...rip to the dead
simple!

1 Like

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by donakit: 7:15am On Feb 28, 2017
MrSmith007:
Sad news
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Rett0: 7:17am On Feb 28, 2017
My God...
Please be careful everyone... Last week God saved my entire family from diarrhoea after we drank pure water.
We ran out of water and bought pure water and drank. I noticed the water had odour. Hours after, it was a drama to behold. If not for God, it would have been fatal.
I think the problem is some of this pure water manufacturing companies do not treat their water properly these days as a way to reduce production costs due to the high forex rate.

My advice is, if you must buy Pure Water, only buy from a company that manufactures Bottle water too as they treat their water better than those that manufacture Pure water only.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by seunlly(m): 7:18am On Feb 28, 2017
sad news all over.
rip to the dead.
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Lanretoye(m): 7:22am On Feb 28, 2017
who said "parent are blowing the issue out of proportion ",if I were a king I would ask his first child to be killed and watch to which proportion he will blow it...oloriburuku person.

24 Likes

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by LorDBolton(m): 7:24am On Feb 28, 2017
Eating outside nowadays sef na risk...

Common 'wash hands' every time you touch something when cooking, they won't observe

1 Like

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by sakalisis(m): 7:26am On Feb 28, 2017
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by begwong: 7:27am On Feb 28, 2017
They must have been fed with expired spaghetti to save cost in this recession period and those big big rats for Lagos might have urinated in their drinking water.
Oya NAFDAC go carry out laboratory investigation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Nobody: 7:30am On Feb 28, 2017
Diarrhea is associated with food poisoning. Food poisoning which is consumption of contaminated foods either with microorganisms or their toxins or it can be chemical contamination of food. Consumption of spoiled food can also lead to food poisoning.
Possible causes of food contamination either by lack of appropriate hand hygiene by the food handlers, preparation of food with contaminated utensils, preparation of food with contaminated materials, water source may be contaminated with microorganisms especially fecal pathogens.

Symptoms of food poisoning are frequent loose stool, vomiting, fever or without fever. Its imperative the school should be invaded by epidemiologist so as to carry out proper assessment on what source or likely causage of the food poisoning.

5 Likes

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Nobody: 7:31am On Feb 28, 2017
Very sad, may God comfort their parents.
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by YaksonFCA(m): 7:38am On Feb 28, 2017
RIP
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Onyenna(m): 7:39am On Feb 28, 2017
Jeeez!
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Nobody: 7:39am On Feb 28, 2017
begwong:
They must have been fed with expired spaghetti to save cost in this recession period and those big big rats for Lagos might have urinated in their drinking water.
Oya NAFDAC go carry out laboratory investigation.

Nafdac kwaa abi public health epidemiologist
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Edufound(f): 7:41am On Feb 28, 2017
anonymuz:
simple!
Sad & Pathetic
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Edufound(f): 7:43am On Feb 28, 2017
izzou:
sad

I can't just imagine how it feels to lose a child.

Chai
Tough experience
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by Ezedon(m): 7:44am On Feb 28, 2017
Its a pity
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by FILEBE(m): 7:48am On Feb 28, 2017
Msy God grant the parents the fortitude to bear the loss. But come to think of it. We eat out every now and then, you wouldn't want to know see the state at which these food are cooked, the type of water they use and all. Yet we eat and hardly fall sick. why?
Not to be proud about anything but I think our lifestyles go a long way to determine our health status. Eat well, exercise well, take many fruits, drink lots of water and many more to boost the immune system.

well, Death will always look for something to hold onto when it comes.

3 Likes

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by francotunsco: 7:56am On Feb 28, 2017
Sad! RIP poor girls...
Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by hardbody: 7:57am On Feb 28, 2017
This is why I love the US. By now litigation would have been commenced against the school and the food handlers. Around here a Committee will be set up and then a sub-committee and then the PTA will meet and thereafter the Old students Association will come to the school, in the course of all these motion and no movement, the sad episode will be consigned to the dust-bin of history, pending when the same incident recurs.

Its a pity about the deceased and I wish the bereaved fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Queen’s College Shut Over Death Of 2 Students by SweetJoystick(m): 8:04am On Feb 28, 2017
Na wah! Good school is closed down sha, make parents take their children to hospitals for check up

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Brother Won 4th Place: Cbn/ibm Ennovate Nigeria Competition / Hijab: MURIC Denounces The Action Of The JAMB Invigilators And Supervisors / JAMB Releases 1,048,914 Results, Extends Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.