Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,437 members, 7,836,740 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student (43018 Views)

Dino Melaye Shares The Statement His Brother Gave To The Police Over His Attack / Governor Dankwambo Condemns BBNaija: See The Reply He Got / The "Made-In-aba" Box Filled With Products Ikpeazu Gave To Osinbajo (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by LordOfNaira: 4:25pm On Feb 28, 2017
LordXaaan:
Just one little question for you man. Even with the proper quotation marks)Is this sentence correct? There is a no biology class at 9am?

You are not getting it.

The EFCC guy asks the defaulter to attend a class christianed "no 's' in million in this context".

He is merely asking him not to miss the "no 's' in million in this context" class at 9am.

For instance, let us imagine that there is a subject titled "Mathematics: The Vision of Calculus".

I can have my daughter say something like: "Hey, Daddy, I have a 'Mathematics: The Vision of Calculus' class at 9am."

6 Likes

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 28, 2017
LordofNairaland:

"Math" in the example you gave is a noun modifying another noun. Technically, it is called an "ascriptive noun".

That's why I said 'adjective' because as you've said its not exactly an adjective. But the point I was making is that the content between the quotation marks was qualifying/modifying the noun 'class' and the EFCC guy was correct.

1 Like

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by femi4: 4:28pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:
Walai dis EFCC handler deserves an Oscar! cheesy

though him ma need to attend the 9am class with the student.

it should be:

there is no 's' in million in this context.

NOT.

There is a "no 's' in million in this context"

- wrong use of first person singular and also wrong application of quotation marks undecided
letter s is more appropriate
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 28, 2017
LordXaaan:
Just one little question for you man. Even with the proper quotation marks)Is this sentence correct? There is a no biology class at 9am?

With the proper quotation marks,

"There is a 'no biology' class at 9am" is correct. Meaning it is an anti-biology class grin. Anything can be talked about in the class except biology. grin

2 Likes

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by bamasite(m): 4:34pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

- wrong use of first person singular and also wrong application of quotation marks undecided
I thought same until I really read the sentence again. The indefinite article a is used for the class. It is not wrong

2 Likes

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by ddippset(m): 4:44pm On Feb 28, 2017
Nellybank:
God will not forgive dis bubu... See as our professors they waste their talent for nairaland becoz of lack of job. Broz keep dialling one day baba God go pick your call
lol, you no well. I actually typed from my office, where I am well paid. but I could still do with a pay rise sha.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by doskie(m): 4:44pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

you are wrong. Remember the class at the end of the statement. You are wrong.

1 Like

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by LordXaaan: 4:44pm On Feb 28, 2017
AnonyNymous:

With the proper quotation marks,

There is a 'no biology' class at 9am is correct. Meaning it is an anti-biology class grin. Anything can be talked about in the class except biology. grin
You sure as hell know thats not what i meant. I dont mean an anti-biology class. Think of it as a full biology class that has just been cancelled, then try answering the question again.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by StPete: 4:46pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

you're so WRONG!!!!

The EFCC guy was actually right and you also need to attend English class with the guy in the EFCC quote

3 Likes

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by ddippset(m): 4:47pm On Feb 28, 2017
chloedogie:

God bless you for that comprehensive correction. I hope he takes the correction though.
God bless you too.

1 Like

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Akaujaa(m): 4:48pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

Oga, there's nothing wrong with that sentence.

1 Like

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Black5050(m): 4:49pm On Feb 28, 2017
anibi9674:
I hear rumour say the guy way see 10 millions na
Oau graduate.
Guy na you oooo
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Nellybank(m): 4:50pm On Feb 28, 2017
Ole ... Well paid and wouldn't mind pay rise abi? You bi thief
ddippset:
lol, you no well. I actually typed from my office, where I am well paid. but I could still do with a pay rise sha.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by ddippset(m): 4:55pm On Feb 28, 2017
Nellybank:
Ole ... Well paid and wouldn't mind pay rise abi? You bi thief
guy money nor dey do o!
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by LordKushmann(m): 4:57pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

Oversabi dey worry you. The nigga is correct. There is a "no 's' in million in this context" class is absolutely correct. There is no 's' in million in this context would be correct if there had not been "...coming up by 9am" attached to it.

2 Likes

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 28, 2017
LordXaaan:
You sure as hell know thats not what i meant. I dont mean an anti-biology class. Think of it as a full biology class that has just been cancelled, then try answering the question again.

If that's not what you meant, then don't write it like that!

Scenario 1
There is a "no 's' in million in this context" class by 9am.

This means that the name of the class holding by 9am is "no 's' in million in this context".

Scenario 2
There is no 's' in million in this context.

You are telling me that I shouldn't use 's' in million in that context, because its wrong.

The way you use words give them different meanings in a sentence.

Just like saying,

"There is no biology class at 9 am" means you're telling me that a biology class won't hold, but on the other hand

"There is a 'no biology' class at 9 am" means there is a class holding by 9am and its an anti-biology class.

Hope you understand now

1 Like

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by BeardedMan: 4:58pm On Feb 28, 2017
Walahi, EFCC wicked! Haba!
ammyluv2002:
Jeez! Wicked EFCC grin grin grin grin grin
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by sammyscholar(m): 4:58pm On Feb 28, 2017
Is putting it this way correct, too?:

there is a no-'s'-in-million class at 9am.
LaRochelle:

He is actually very correct.

First, the "no 's' in million in this context" serves as an adjective to qualify the class. So, if you replace the phrase in quotation marks with a subject, let's say Biology, it would read "There is a Biology class." That makes perfect sense.

Second, "first person si ;Dngular" is usually associated with pronouns. The EFCC replier did not use any first person singular. He only used a singular verb "is" and singular article "a".

Third, the EFCC replier's use of quotation marks is appropriate. You are allowed to use single quotation marks inside a sentence/clause/phrase using double quotation marks.

Next time, evaluate well before you throw punches smiley.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by nwaanambra1(m): 5:04pm On Feb 28, 2017
LordXaaan:
The inappropriate use of the article 'a'

despite all the people quoting me and speaking their own version of English - its so sad that you are the only one that noticed what am pointing out - wrong use of the article 'a' in the sentence he made.

he would av just simply typed: there is no 's' in million in this context.

Why using a double quotation mark when he wasn't quoting the guy verbatim!

well sha! Its compensating to know that among the crowd of the 'seeing' blind - there was a man with sight.

may God increase you richly. cool
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by frankson1(m): 5:06pm On Feb 28, 2017
Jeez! Wicked EFCC grin grin grin grin grin[/quote]

Nope. This is more than being wicked. He wants to end his destiny.
The guy should crack such joke with his friends and not on official Govt.site.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Nobody: 5:13pm On Feb 28, 2017
O BOY
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Elfaris(m): 5:13pm On Feb 28, 2017
Damilare5882:
grin grin
Chai..... pure savage Lwkmd

1 Like

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by prof800(m): 5:19pm On Feb 28, 2017
LordXaaan:
I don't usually engage in this "English or no English stuff" because it is a borrowed language. But in this regard, you and nwaanambra1 are actually wrong. You don't get it. It is beyond your understanding. SIMPLE.

You can consult widely on this.

EFCC tweeted a correct statement. It seems wrong at first but when you look at the punctuation, you will see that it is a "correct statement". When you get it, you will realize. If not, don't bother yourself.

English na borrowed language. We no fit kill ourselves over one Oyinbo man language.

2 Likes

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by ElmaSpeed(f): 5:20pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

Actually you read it wrong.
What was quoted was intended as the title of the class, if you will.
Just like you have "physics" class, EFCC actually meant "no 's' in million in this context" class.

1 Like

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Roseey0(f): 5:31pm On Feb 28, 2017
LordofNairaland:

You are not getting it.

The EFCC guy asks the defaulter to attend a class christianed "no 's' in million in this context".

He is merely asking him not to miss the "no 's' in million in this context" class at 9am.

For instance, let us imagine that there is a subject titled "Mathematics: The Vision of Calculus".

I can have my daughter say something like: "Hey, Daddy, I have a 'Mathematics: The Vision of Calculus' class at 9am."
Now I understand

If you were having problems with why the efcc handle is correct look again.
Remove the entire quote and replace it with class, you will understand better.
Now that class is called no 's' in million.
Cc: nwaanambra1

1 Like

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by emerich(m): 5:58pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

For your mind you sabi English, you just made a fool out of yourself.

1 Like

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Jesusloveyou: 6:00pm On Feb 28, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
The person. Behind this twitter handle is an unserious fellow I swear grin grin grin
serious people are found in yaba left

1 Like

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by jatau7(m): 6:04pm On Feb 28, 2017
i think seun need that op of efcc.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by san316(m): 6:30pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

U sef suppose no say na quote he quote na. A "no 's' in million in this context" class.

Your reading skills need to improve else...
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Frederick2017: 6:58pm On Feb 28, 2017
Hahahahahahahaha......Chai! EFCC handler is a wicked fellow. ...
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by snowden9(m): 8:05pm On Feb 28, 2017
AfroMighty:
The handler deserve and award
If the handler sees this your comment, he'll tell you that "There is no 'deserve and award' in this context"
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by blazer234: 8:30pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

I guess you are the one who's supposed to attend that class with the student. The efcc handler is correct by a 100%

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Victor Omoregie, Vanguard Manager Dies In His Lagos Office After Slumping / Photos Of Soldiers Attacked By Boko Haram While Traveling In Borno State / Ademola Adeleke Graduates With A Degree In Criminal Justice From US University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.