Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,222 members, 7,829,369 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student (43008 Views)

Dino Melaye Shares The Statement His Brother Gave To The Police Over His Attack / Governor Dankwambo Condemns BBNaija: See The Reply He Got / The "Made-In-aba" Box Filled With Products Ikpeazu Gave To Osinbajo (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by AdedoyinO(f): 9:07pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:

despite all the people quoting me and speaking their own version of English - its so sad that you are the only one that noticed what am pointing out - wrong use of the article 'a' in the sentence he made.

he would av just simply typed: there is no 's' in million in this context.

Why using a double quotation mark when he wasn't quoting the guy verbatim!

well sha! Its compensating to know that among the crowd of the 'seeing' blind - there was a man with sight.

may God increase you richly. cool

You are ignoring 'class' in that tweet. Read the sentence again without the words in quotation. You'll read ...a...class... So "no 's' in this context" is the title of the class the guy was advised to attend by 9am. The phrase in quotation is describing the class.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by LordXaaan: 9:30pm On Feb 28, 2017
nwaanambra1:

despite all the people quoting me and speaking their own version of English - its so sad that you are the only one that noticed what am pointing out - wrong use of the article 'a' in the sentence he made.

he would av just simply typed: there is no 's' in million in this context.

Why using a double quotation mark when he wasn't quoting the guy verbatim!

well sha! Its compensating to know that among the crowd of the 'seeing' blind - there was a man with sight.

may God increase you richly. cool
Thanks alot man!
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by LordXaaan: 9:52pm On Feb 28, 2017
LordofNairaland:

You are not getting it.

The EFCC guy asks the defaulter to attend a class christianed "no 's' in million in this context".

He is merely asking him not to miss the "no 's' in million in this context" class at 9am.

For instance, let us imagine that there is a subject titled "Mathematics: The Vision of Calculus".

I can have my daughter say something like: "Hey, Daddy, I have a 'Mathematics: The Vision of Calculus' class at 9am."
*****Would've typed this immediately(battery)****Well if that is actually what the Efcc guy meant, he could have just said "There is an English context class at 9am" rather than causing a grammatical swordfight between two titled Lords that has spanned four bloodied pages of this thread-turned-arena. All because he wanted to send a teenager crawling into his hole with his tail between his legs. Sadistic! He should not have roused two Lords to draw their swords! What sayest thou LordofNairaland? **laughs small**
cc: LordofNairaland
prof800
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by LaRochelle(f): 9:56pm On Feb 28, 2017
LordXaaan:
It seems you are missing the point, Miss.

Okay. It would be nice if you directed me to the point. I'm not being sarcastic.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by dsocioemmy(m): 10:08pm On Feb 28, 2017
I always trowway my cap for this person behind the keyboard of this EFCC account
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by LordXaaan: 10:16pm On Feb 28, 2017
LaRochelle:

Okay. It would be nice if you directed me to the point. I'm not being sarcastic.
Directing you to the point would mean read all our comments****To the present*** Now that i think of it, if the Efcc guy had just removed "in this context" all this arguments wont have happened.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by prof800(m): 10:46pm On Feb 28, 2017
LordXaaan:
*****Would've typed this immediately(battery)****Well if that is actually what the Efcc guy meant, he could have just said "There is an English context class at 9am" rather than causing a grammatical swordfight between two titled Lords that has spanned four bloodied pages of this thread-turned-arena. All because he wanted to send a teenager crawling into his hole with his tail between his legs. Sadistic! He should not have roused two Lords to draw their swords! What sayest thou LordofNairaland? **laughs small**
cc: prof800
Kudos to you. grin
I greet you.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by blank(f): 12:01am On Mar 01, 2017
nwaanambra1:
Walai dis EFCC handler deserves an Oscar! cheesy

though him ma need to attend the 9am class with the student.

it should be:

there is no 's' in million in this context.

NOT.

There is a "no 's' in million in this context"

- wrong use of first person singular and also wrong application of quotation marks undecided

If these many people think you are correct, English is officially dead.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by Nobody: 12:33am On Mar 01, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

- wrong use of first person singular and also wrong application of quotation marks undecided

you need that class too
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by AlphaStyles(m): 6:40am On Mar 01, 2017
this efcc person wicked o
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by ireneidiva(f): 6:42am On Mar 01, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

You are wrong. He is right. He is actually saying that there is a class by 9am about no 's' in a million in that context.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by bobbydbobo: 11:43am On Mar 01, 2017
LordXaaan:
cc: LordofNairaland
prof800

What your comment here means is that you don't even know the difference between the word "context" and " contest". That is why the statement does not make sense to you because you are internally interpreting the word wrongly.
1st, context means 'within the scope of this', 'in this regard', 'as it concerns this particular topic' etc.

Secondly, the first quotation with double marks ( " ) is when you want to quote a statement, a speech, a title, etc putting the statement, speech or title the way it is, or the way it was coined by whoever initiated it. E. G: Tolu told me " Hey, I will break it if you stick it in". I just quoted verbatim what Tolu said. Also, "A million ways to die in the West" is the title of that movie. Here, I just quoted exactly, the title of the movie.

The single mark quote ( ' ) is telling you en quote, or in quotes; explaining an emphasis on the quoted and trying to make you take note of that particular word, letter or phrase, encouraging you to understand that it needs a second look as either significant or has what it means in that case. Eg, You ask me what Tolu does for a living and I respond by saying;
She? Tolu? Hmmmm, if you must know, she does 'business '. Now what this is saying is the known business is not the real thing she does, but other things... But I put emphasis on the word business so the person knows that I don't mean business in the real sense of it

Now take what the guy tweeted. There is a "No 's' in a million in this context" class by 9:am.

First remove the quoted and complete the statement. Does it make sense? Yes. :-There is a class by 9am.

So what is the title of the topic/class? "No s in a million in this context". However, he decided to put the 'S' in quote for emphasis' sake. Probably to make you understand that 'S' is the bone of contention here, or that 'S' and it's usage should be noted. The most reasonable reason which most likely is, is because ordinarily, "S" AS A LETTER DOES NOT FORM A WORD AND MEANS NOTHING STANDING ALONE IN A SENTENCE IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE. HOWEVER, IN THIS CASE, THE PERSON HAD TO MAKE YOU KNOW THAT "S" MEANT SOMETHING ALONE, MAKING IT EASIER FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND THE SENTENCE WITHOUT IT LOOKING AWKWARD SEEING "S" STAND ALONE IN THE SENTENCE. YOU CAN TRY REMOVING THE QUOTE ON "S" AND SEE IF THE SENTENCE WONT LOOK AND STAND ODD. The fact is, 'S' was for emphasis.

I sincerely hope you understand now. If you don't, don't struggle, you never will, maybe you never had it in you.
Cheers.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by LordXaaan: 12:39pm On Mar 01, 2017
bobbydbobo:

What your comment here means is that you don't even know the difference between the word "context" and " contest". That is why the statement does not make sense to you because you are internally interpreting the word wrongly.
1st, context means 'within the scope of this', 'in this regard', 'as it concerns this particular topic' etc.

Secondly, the first quotation with double marks ( " ) is when you want to quote a statement, a speech, a title, etc putting the statement, speech or title the way it is, or the way it was coined by whoever initiated it. E. G: Tolu told me " Hey, I will break it if you stick it in". I just quoted verbatim what Tolu said. Also, "A million ways to die in the West" is the title of that movie. Here, I just quoted exactly, the title of the movie.

The single mark quote ( ' ) is telling you en quote, or in quotes; explaining an emphasis on the quoted and trying to make you take note of that particular word, letter or phrase, encouraging you to understand that it needs a second look as either significant or has what it means in that case. Eg, You ask me what Tolu does for a living and I respond by saying;
She? Tolu? Hmmmm, if you must know, she does 'business '. Now what this is saying is the known business is not the real thing she does, but other things... But I put emphasis on the word business so the person knows that I don't mean business in the real sense of it

Now take what the guy tweeted. There is a "No 's' in a million in this context" class by 9:am.

First remove the quoted and complete the statement. Does it make sense? Yes. :-There is a class by 9am.

So what is the title of the topic/class? "No s in a million in this context". However, he decided to put the 'S' in quote for emphasis' sake. Probably to make you understand that 'S' is the bone of contention here, or that 'S' and it's usage should be noted. The most reasonable reason which most likely is, is because ordinarily, "S" AS A LETTER DOES NOT FORM A WORD AND MEANS NOTHING STANDING ALONE IN A SENTENCE IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE. HOWEVER, IN THIS CASE, THE PERSON HAD TO MAKE YOU KNOW THAT "S" MEANT SOMETHING ALONE, MAKING IT EASIER FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND THE SENTENCE WITHOUT IT LOOKING AWKWARD SEEING "S" STAND ALONE IN THE SENTENCE. YOU CAN TRY REMOVING THE QUOTE ON "S" AND SEE IF THE SENTENCE WONT LOOK AND STAND ODD. The fact is, 'S' was for emphasis.

I sincerely hope you understand now. If you don't, don't struggle, you never will, maybe you never had it in you.
Cheers.
Immaturity on display.
Grow up.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by tk4rd: 12:58pm On Mar 01, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

He was correct..
There is a class at 9am.. The "No 's' in million in this context" class..
Read the whole of the sentence again.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by GourmetChef: 7:31pm On Mar 01, 2017
nwaanambra1:

it should be:

NOT.

The meaning of his statement is: There's a class called "no 's' in million in this context".
His punctuation is accurate. Try and keep up.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by pecoprince: 9:23pm On Mar 01, 2017
That EFCC guy should be arrested. How can u finnish som1 destiny and want to just go free. This is wickedness. grin grin
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by pecoprince: 9:24pm On Mar 01, 2017
That EFCC guy should be arrested. How can u finnish som1 destiny and want to just go free. This is wickedness. grin grin dont u have the fear of God.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by pecoprince: 9:40pm On Mar 01, 2017
That EFCC guy should be arrested. How can u finnish som1 destiny and want to just go free. This is wickedness. grin grin dont u have the fear of God.
Guy no worry just hurry to school 9am go soon reach.
Re: See The Reply EFCC Gave To A Student by eyinjuege: 7:52am On Mar 03, 2017
LordOfNaira:

You are not getting it.

The EFCC guy asks the defaulter to attend a class christianed "no 's' in million in this context".

He is merely asking him not to miss the "no 's' in million in this context" class at 9am.

For instance, let us imagine that there is a subject titled "Mathematics: The Vision of Calculus".

I can have my daughter say something like: "Hey, Daddy, I have a 'Mathematics: The Vision of Calculus' class at 9am."

Ohhhh, now I get it. I was wondering what the 'a' was all about there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ayiri Emami, Dangote, Oshiomhole & Obaseki Hang Out Together / Buhari, His Wife, Aisha & Daughters Watch Election Activities After Voting / Victor Omoregie, Vanguard Manager Dies In His Lagos Office After Slumping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.