Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives (9633 Views)

Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant / Rector Of Federal Polytechnic, Ekowe Dies During Sex With Teenager / Ayoola Oguntade And Juliet Eko Win N1m Each At Cowbellpedia Maths Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by dammy13(m): 11:40am On Mar 03, 2017
Airtel Nigeria has joined in the effort to rehabilitate destitute children who are currently roaming the streets of Lagos.

In the third episode of its Touching Lives Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programme, which aired on television at the weekend, the telecom giant awarded a scholarship worth one million Naira to a promising teenage boy whose continued stay in school had become uncertain.

Having lost his father and with no one else to raise him, Rotimi Azeez had hustled his way to the country’s commercial capital in a desperate move to raise money for his education.

However, a few months after his arrival, he became homeless and at the mercy of the city’s caprices. “You never know when it’s going to rain on you all night because you can never predict the rain,” he said.

But he was soon rescued by the Street Child Care and Welfare Initiative (SCCWI), a non-governmental organisation devoted to vagrant children.

Speaking to Airtel Touching Lives , Comfort Alli, president of SCCWI, said the problem of destitute children had become a public emergency. She noted that more than 250,000 minors are currently drifting around in the metropolis. “The problem is bigger than the government of Lagos State,” she said. “Everybody has to be on ground to make sure that they fight this problem.”

This is why, according to her, the charity elected to focus on bringing relief to runaway and abandoned kids. Some of the wandering youths had become “fathers of street children” and many were exposed to drugs, homosexuality, and life-threatening diseases such as HIV.

Before the 116-year-oldwas rescued, he was “very wild, shattered, and malnourished; he probably would have become an armed robber or pickpocket,” said Folake Shittu, a senior counsellor at the aid organisation.

Now, three years later, “his attitude has changed, he has better self esteem, and improved academic performance,” said Victor Adejunle, who had been Azeez’s mentor at SCCWI for more than two years.

But since the economy slid into recession in 2016, donations to the NGO have dwindled significantly. For this reason, Alli explained, paying for Azeez’s schooling would no longer be as easy as it used to be. Although the boy had always hoped to become a lawyer, “if he doesn’t get help, he’ll be back to square one,” she said.

While accepting the Airtel intervention, Azeez said the grant would change his life. “I don’t think anyone in my family has ever received a scholarship of one million naira. I’m happy today. It’s a good thing,” he said.

The telco company noted that ‘Touching Lives’ will be back this weekend to its regular schedule on local and international television networks.

“On Saturday, the fourth episode of season three will premiere on Africa Magic Urban at 6:30pm and on Africa Magic Family at 7pm. It will later air on RaveTV from 9-9:30pm.

“The next day, Africa Magic World will show a rerun of the episode from 6-6:30pm. NTA Network and ArewaTV will do the same from 6:00-6.30pm and from 7-7:30pm, respectively,” it summed.

http://thenationonlineng.net/homeless-teenager-receives-n1m-airtel-scholarship-on-touching-lives/

1 Share

Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by Nobody: 11:42am On Mar 03, 2017
Airtel advertisement

2 Likes

Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by jesus500(m): 12:08pm On Mar 03, 2017
Very good

2 Likes

Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by chemberlin(m): 12:08pm On Mar 03, 2017
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by ayatt(m): 12:08pm On Mar 03, 2017
oboi this one don hammer oh
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by ExpiredNigeria: 12:08pm On Mar 03, 2017
Please I want to understand something, why do I have to denounce my religion first and accept islam and mohamed before I could make a comment on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3658612/dont-abandon-widows-divorcees?

Mods are you going to address this or block me for asking.. I'm understanding that nairaland is now a muslin thing and seun is a religious bigot for allowing muslim to freely comment on other religions' thread but have you first denounce yours and accept islam before you could participate in the muslim topic..

below is the picture of what I met this morning on following the link.. can any of the mod address that? I don't know if I would be blocked for asking this question but that will make me understand what muslim really mean in this country.. go ahead and explain this or block me..

21 Likes

Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by romeoetin(m): 12:09pm On Mar 03, 2017
Ok
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by kinmanj: 12:09pm On Mar 03, 2017
nice one
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by Vickiweezy(m): 12:09pm On Mar 03, 2017
Wow
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 03, 2017
Nice one from Airtel.

1 Like

Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by godwinnd: 12:10pm On Mar 03, 2017
SECOND. U TRY FOR 1 MI
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by Kingxway: 12:10pm On Mar 03, 2017
wink

1 Like

Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by ayatt(m): 12:10pm On Mar 03, 2017
ExpiredNigeria:
Please I want to understand something, why do I have to denounce my religion first and accept islam and mohamed before I could make a comment on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3658612/dont-abandon-widows-divorcees?

Mods are you going to address this or block me for asking.. I'm understanding that nairaland is now a muslin thing and seun is a religious bigot for allowing muslim to freely comment on other religions' thread but have you first denounce yours and accept islam before you could participate in the muslim topic..

below is the picture of what I met this morning on following the link.. can any of the mod address that? I don't know if I would be blocked for asking this question but that will make me understand what muslim really mean in this country.. go ahead and explain this or block me..

get over it dude..

1 Like

Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by sheykruz1(m): 12:11pm On Mar 03, 2017
Let me book a space for my fellow afonjas grin grin

Mm, let me come and be going joor grin
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by chinex276(m): 12:12pm On Mar 03, 2017
congrats.... more money to their account
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by Jafar1: 12:13pm On Mar 03, 2017
ayatt:
its a scholarship bro, its not a promo
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by Jafar1: 12:13pm On Mar 03, 2017
ayatt:
its a scholarship bro, its not a promo, she may not be given the money
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by ayatt(m): 12:14pm On Mar 03, 2017
Jafar1:
its a scholarship bro, its not a promo

okay
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by ArcFrisky(m): 12:15pm On Mar 03, 2017
Thank you airtel, and continue in this kind gesture of yours...
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by Branzy(m): 12:16pm On Mar 03, 2017
nice one
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by ExpiredNigeria: 12:17pm On Mar 03, 2017
ayatt:

get over it dude..

Not happy about it bro, isn't this the demarcation line we're all kicking against now playing out in Nairaland? isn't that the root cause of our problem as a nation where one is more a Muslim, Christian, Igbo, Housa or Yoruba than Nigerian? God!

1 Like

Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by anonimi: 12:20pm On Mar 03, 2017
dammy13:
Airtel Nigeria has joined in the effort to rehabilitate destitute children who are currently roaming the streets of Lagos.

In the third episode of its Touching Lives Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programme, which aired on television at the weekend, the telecom giant awarded a scholarship worth one million Naira to a promising teenage boy whose continued stay in school had become uncertain.

This good and kind gesture would have been unnecessary if Tinubu, Fashola and Ambode had ensured there is free and COMPULSORY education for all children resident in Lagos instead of stealing the taxes paid by and collected on behalf of the people while using their heads to play football.
Their disdain for education despite calling themselves progreTHIEVES to their zonebee followers explains why it was easy to team up with the sick dullard in London two years ago. Birds of a feather flock together naturally. angry sad

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2092636_my_jpeg32c947b9a6de6f2209b785db74601af5

HungerBAD:
At a time when knowledge acquisition in other climes is getting increasingly sophisticated, the same cannot be said to be the case in most parts of the country.

While the much-touted leaders of tomorrow in some states attend classes in ad-hoc environments including under trees, unsafe environment and sundry locations, Lagos State, many say should never be found in the company of such needy states.

But that is not the case. As a matter of fact, students in some schools in the state are taught while sitting on bare floors, while classrooms in some schools across the state are without roof, sundry fittings and devoid of requisite learning aides

Oshodi Nursery and Primary School, Oshodi, which has been in deplorable condition for a very long time is a classic example of this sad story.Located only a few kilometres away from Bolade Bus Stop, along Oshodi/Agege Motor Road, the school, which has up to four buildings within the premises, sees pupils scampering for safety anytime it rains, even as the learning process also has to be halted at such times.
This explains why parents and concerned residents of the area are urging the state government to come to their aid, by rehabilitating the school, and providing an enabling environment for the pupils to learn, in consonant with their rights to attend school in conducive environments.

The pathetic condition of the school first attracted the attention of The Guardian Newspaper, which carried a report to that effect in The Guardian on Sunday edition of February 7th, 2016. Ever since that publication, nothing has been done to improve the fortunes of the school.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4860558_owoseni_jpeg06e2ea1f21ecfae7256699d95aacebb5

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by ucee64(m): 12:21pm On Mar 03, 2017
ExpiredNigeria:

oga no mind d religion bigot
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by Timiblanko(m): 12:24pm On Mar 03, 2017
Job well done. I have emptyhen
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by CellTabRepairs: 12:26pm On Mar 03, 2017
This is good...

**Click My Name & View That Resource You Need!**
Don't wait in perpetuity for job invitations after applying! March is here already today! The thief you harbour is PROCRASTINATION! Therefore don't wait until the whole year runs out!

Great dreamers don't stay idle at home. They take steps!
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by DLuciano: 12:32pm On Mar 03, 2017
dammy13:

http://thenationonlineng.net/homeless-teenager-receives-n1m-airtel-scholarship-on-touching-lives/

Idonbilive all these scam promotion stories until you show us the pishure of the boy and airtel officials
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by willjoe: 12:39pm On Mar 03, 2017
ExpiredNigeria:

SECONDED.
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by EzigboNwanma(f): 12:47pm On Mar 03, 2017
Beautiful kiss
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by tolexy007(m): 1:14pm On Mar 03, 2017
ExpiredNigeria:

dude u are very correct, that is y u see people insulting Christianity here in NL because, Seun purposely allow anybody to comment on Christian thread.
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 03, 2017
ExpiredNigeria:

I totally agree with you, muslims comment on every christian thread

Or could this be nairaland ISLAMIZATION

#ibelieveinequity

Lalasticlala
Mynd44 (d guy I respect)
Seun
Re: Homeless Teenager Receives N1m Airtel Scholarship On Touching Lives by mykeljosef: 1:26pm On Mar 03, 2017
ExpiredNigeria:

guy forget we have been complaining for years...

this is classic racism and discrimination

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

OAU Suspended From NUGA Games"- SSANU Chairman / 4 Things That Must Be On Your Daily To Do List As A Student / National Open University N20,000 Re-mark Fee ‘extortion’ — Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.