Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,932 members, 7,817,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

A New Job, But Am So Confused - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A New Job, But Am So Confused (1784 Views)

Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused / Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? / When You're Not Qualified For A Job But You Have Connections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A New Job, But Am So Confused by charles009(m): 6:37pm On Mar 03, 2017
Hey folks, I am a gainfully employed guy, married and resides in calabar. On monday I received a new offer which offers about 40% increase in my previous pay with other amazing perks.
I have two challenges,
The new job is in lagos, its a new coy, so will definitely be chalenging.
The stress I see in lag is just crazy. Thinking of moving wife and son to start a new life in contrast to where we coming from. Calabar is very peaceful.

honestly, I have been in a subdued mood since collecting the offer, maybe a word or 2 from some of you guys here will give me a reason to believe.
Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by Cutehector(m): 6:40pm On Mar 03, 2017
Lol, in Lagos u will be exposed to lots of new friends and business contacts.. So its a step in the right Direction...

The most important thing is the contacts ...

2 Likes

Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by akabu2016: 7:14pm On Mar 03, 2017
Calabar is better. With small cash survive there but lag with ur millions nothing to show forth.

1 Like

Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by pikintea55(f): 8:22pm On Mar 03, 2017
U beta go for lag.. .with bigger opportunities as for spending cut ur coat according to ur material. But if Ure lazy n love d stress-free easy life. Stay Der.. . D truth z dat in Lagos u will adjust n adapt With d rigours which becomes lesser as u gain more influence and experience grin smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by obinoral1179(m): 9:06pm On Mar 03, 2017
Was born in lagos and I served in cross river, akamkpa to be precise. If you want the easy life and less challenging career you can stay in calabar and enjoy the serene environment but if you are ambitious and you want more, bro move to lagos but you will need to adapt to lagos. Waking up late and going back late depending on where you are going must be adapted to....

I still wish to work in calabar..... The peoples paradise..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by Nobody: 9:37pm On Mar 03, 2017
charles009:
Hey folks, I am a gainfully employed guy, married and resides in calabar. On monday I received a new offer which offers about 40% increase in my previous pay with other amazing perks.
I have two challenges,
The stress I see in lag is just crazy
. Thinking of moving wife and son to start a new life in contrast to where we coming from. Calabar is very peaceful.

honestly, I have been in a subdued mood since collecting the offer, maybe a word or 2 from some of you guys here will give me a reason to believe.

Yes, money is important, but not at the expense of your personal happiness and peace of mind.

That doesn't mean you should go hungry. It just means you could also consider taking a closer look at your current financial situation.

How could you increase your income streams even where you are in Calabar?

Don't buy the lie that you can only make your fortune in Lagos. I assure you there are very wealthy people right where you live.

Your environment matters. If you live in a place where you don't think you fit in but where you just want to make money, you are likely to lose your personal peace and this could affect your family life.

Please let us know what you finally decide.

Thank you

5 Likes

Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by Sleezwizz: 9:42pm On Mar 03, 2017
I will advice you stay put in calabar.. Cost of living, transport, school fees for your kids and so on are so high here in Lagos.. Don't be surprised that that salary u are talking about might not be able to take care of ur expenses, u might be spending more.. My own opinion sha, it all depends on u..

3 Likes

Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by tundeone: 12:23am On Mar 04, 2017
why not take the challenge but leave your family in Calabar. Squat or get a small place for yourself, then, see if you can cope alone before bringing them to Lagos. With God, time and exposure, you might even get a job that is 200% your current one. You need to expand, bro.

3 Likes

Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by Misswang001(f): 1:35am On Mar 04, 2017
Lagos is better; 40% salary increase,a change of environment and a land of more opportunities is a better deal....Btw, have you asked your wife on her thought?
Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by nenergy(m): 1:39am On Mar 04, 2017
40% increase in monthly pay is NOT enough to leave the peace you enjoy in calabar. Lagos is not easy, you might succumb to the stress and Lagos expenses will make you salary look like alawi. If salary increase is the only reason you wanna come to Lagos, then please don't!

3 Likes

Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by ekay39(m): 5:16am On Mar 04, 2017
Sleezwizz:
I will advice you stay put in calabar.. Cost of living, transport, school fees for your kids and so on are so high here in Lagos.. Don't be surprised that that salary u are talking about might not be able to take care of ur expenses, u might be spending more.. My own opinion sha, it all depends on u..

So on point. 40% might not necessarily mean much in Lagos because of the high cost of living. School fees, accommodation, et.al no be child's play ooo.

I believe you will save more in calabar with your present salary than in Lagos.

In essence, a 40% increment is not sufficient to make such move in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by Nobody: 7:01am On Mar 04, 2017
Misswang001:
Lagos is better; 40% salary increase,a change of environment and a land of more opportunities is a better deal....Btw, have you asked your wife on her thought?

I like the last statement/question. Op, have u discussed deeply with your wife and ask her on her thoughts about the whole ish?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by Erums(m): 11:19am On Mar 04, 2017
Howmuch is the salary... Den ee can advice
Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by kidman96(m): 12:01pm On Mar 04, 2017
charles009:
I have two challenges,
The stress I see in lag is just ocrazy. Thinking of moving wife and son to start a new life in contrast to where we coming from. Calabar is very peaceful.

stay in Calabar oooo... hmm... if you were single it's a different case. my guy all the bad thins you hear about Nigeria na Lagos all of them de oooo. in calabar you have you family and all your friend.there are no friends in Lagos. and its a new company anything can happen and there is nothing to fall back. lagosians are so stingy if you beg them for anything they won't just SST no,they will insult you. even beggers are scared of begging. and everyone is out to swindle you, including your boss. there are very few good people in Lagos. Lagos is an unforgiving place and all that talk about Lagos beinga place of opportunity na scam oooo unless u know people. the stress will kill you if you survive they the people. you can come if you want to but be prepared.
Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by Adebaba1(m): 2:11pm On Mar 04, 2017
kidman96:

stay in Calabar oooo... hmm... if you were single it's a different case. my guy all the bad thins you hear about Nigeria na Lagos all of them de oooo. in calabar you have you family and all your friend.there are no friends in Lagos. and its a new company anything can happen and there is nothing to fall back. lagosians are so stingy if you beg them for anything they won't just SST no,they will insult you. even beggers are scared of begging. and everyone is out to swindle you, including your boss. there are very few good people in Lagos. Lagos is an unforgiving place and all that talk about Lagos beinga place of opportunity na scam oooo unless u know people. the stress will kill you if you survive they the people. you can come if you want to but be prepared.
Lol.....guy e be like say Lagos don do u strong thing

3 Likes

Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by iamclime(m): 3:41pm On Mar 04, 2017
My brother, the first question you should ask yourself is: What is best for my family? Then what is my main motivator as an employee? Is it remuneration? Incentives? Opportunities? Career progression? Or job satisfaction and work-life balance? The work-life balance in Lagos is very poor. But whatever you decide, remember that your family takes priority over other things. Money is not the most important thing in life; our families need our time, our affection, and our attention. Many people discover this too late in life. Peace to you!
Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by somma690(f): 3:46pm On Mar 04, 2017
I will advise u to stay in calabar cos Lagos na jungle u r OYO n beside new coy over here in Lagos can't be reliable to avoid regretting it
Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by kidman96(m): 4:09pm On Mar 04, 2017
Adebaba1:
Lol.....guy e be like say Lagos don do u strong thing

my guy... Lagos na hell fire.
Re: A New Job, But Am So Confused by kidman96(m): 4:13pm On Mar 04, 2017
charles009:
I have two challenges,
The stress I see in lag is just crazy. Thinking of moving wife and son to start a new life in contrast to where we coming from. Calabar is very peaceful.

stay in calabar and don't regret it. trust me. Lagos is overrated.

(1) (Reply)

Experienced Female House Help Needed, Urgently+Free Skills Training / Creative Football Writer(s) Needed ASAP / NCAA Recruitment 2018 Application Form [ APPLY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.