Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:49 PM

Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria (46913 Views)

Ibrahim Tumsah Musa: The Most Corrupt Civil Servant, Richer Than 4 Governors / Nigeria Out Of Top 10 Most Corrupt Nations – [full List] / 10 Most Developing States In Nigeria - Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by goodnews777: 12:24am On Mar 04, 2017
EFCC has been bewitched BEYOUND understanding. Why in the world so many corrupt people all over delta state are moving freely is beyond anyone's Immagination. The witches in delta are celebrating the stupidity they have placed on EFCC . Not a single civil servant in delta state is clean. Not one. Governors present and past are rotten to the core. Traditional leaders are imbeciles and morons who don,t care about developments but cash only. Delta stinks so much , EFCC should have their head office in Asaba.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 12:25am On Mar 04, 2017
daveemuobo:
oniovo @ fratermathy. You think Delta is corrupt because you've not been to the north. grin grin

Corruption is not simply leadership and office style corruption as you have rightly pointed out, but you've painted it as an acceptable way of life. I disagree. My opinion though

Dockay!!! Long time!

We are all entitled to our opinions though.

I do agree that I have not spent enough time in the North but based on my research online, corruption in the North wasn't extraordinary apart from a few cases.

In any case, the aim of the thread wasn't to drag position but to prove a point that corruption is everywhere in Nigeria and that some States are more corrupt than some. It is also to show how deep corruption has eaten into our society. I may have been biased against Delta because it is my state and I am really pained at how bad things have gone.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 12:28am On Mar 04, 2017
Mrbigman1:

My flen, goan delete dat nonsense u gathered up Dia.

U just Sidon for u toilet dey type rubbish.

Wia is osun state? It's not corrupt okwaya?

Try to be civil. Your username ascribes the status "big man" to you. Act like it okay?

To address your concerns, I don't think Osun State is as corrupt as the States I have presented. If you think otherwise, engage me please with facts and figures.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by goodnews777: 12:29am On Mar 04, 2017
What the ...are you talking about North? Stop defending evil. I have lived in the north, the corruption in the north if it reaches 2 percent of what operates in delta , there will be revolts and mass killings.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:33am On Mar 04, 2017
Benue didnt make this list and Lagos did? On the evidence of high profile corruption cases at Federal courts since the third republic, Benue should make the cut. But then going by your caveat, this is your own opinion and not fact-based, and like the saying goes: opinions are like a-holes, everybody's got one.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by Depreacherman(m): 12:40am On Mar 04, 2017
Things like this shouldn't make front page because the OP stated it clearly as his PERSONAL OPINION. @OP if you are summoned in the law court, you can't even defend any of these trash.
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by mathy001: 12:46am On Mar 04, 2017
AreaFada2:

Because it is not an oil producing state. The coded aim of this thread is to say that FG should be the one squandering oil money and not the people that produce it.

Oil is the only thing keeping Nigeria together. Nigeria is a bitterly divided country otherwise. Nothing else. So they are after oil.

They just insert one or two non-oil producing states there to deceive people. And we know which parts of Nigeria most of the come from.

One quoting his wife from Delta is also deception mode. That is why some religion does not allow their women to marry men of other religion. The woman comes under the man's control.

I am a Niger Deltan from Delta State. You speak of people eating oil money in the Niger Delta. As far as I know, I have not even scented oil money from afar before in my life. Those I know who have "eaten" oil money usually move to Asaba or Warri to enjoy their "loot". They do so at the expense of their communities. That, my friend, is the most wicked form of corruption.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by mathy001: 12:48am On Mar 04, 2017
Depreacherman:
Things like this shouldn't make front page because the OP stated it clearly as his PERSONAL OPINION. @OP if you are summoned in the law court, you can't even defend any of these trash.

Have you summoned the Op before and he refused to appear or was unable to defend himself?

Instead of calling a beautiful writeup thrash, as usual of the Nigerian mentality, why don't you address the issues raised therein? Are they wrong? So are you saying there is no corruption in the States?
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:50am On Mar 04, 2017
Any state that collect the 13% derivation fund is corrupt..

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by mathy001: 12:51am On Mar 04, 2017
Mrbigman1:

Dis bloggers can kill me with nonsense.

Just carry all SE state put. Cos he dey hear say.
Wia is osun state? Ogun, Oyo? Dey re all save heavens.

Wia re all northern states dat generate 1million naiara as monthly income.

Be civil online Mister Man. Your attitude and your moniker contradict each other.

If you believe that a State or a group of States were omitted, why don't you create your thread and state your OPINION there. This thread is obviously someone's opinion. You need not agree with it. If you disagree with it, present your facts like a learned person.

So far, you can easily be mistaken for an killjoy illiterate troll.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by me69: 12:53am On Mar 04, 2017
Include Ekiti, Niger ( for the gost workers) but I agree with your list
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by Morapedi: 12:56am On Mar 04, 2017
The whole.Africa is corrupt,all these leaders are there to push corruption for their family and friends,but I think we need to fight ,the youth especially,Nigeria is rich that oil was supposed to be bringing billions that every Nigerian was gonna reap the benefits,through infrastructure,job opportunities and so on,I mean nigeria is richer than south Korea,I am just disappointed with African.leaders
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:10am On Mar 04, 2017
Evestar200:
Bayelsa Is Not A Small State, Bayelsa Is Bigger Dan 8 States In Nigeria, Bayelsa Is Just D Least Populated State In Nigeria

Lecture the fool I beg.
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by mathy001: 1:18am On Mar 04, 2017
Ekinematics:

Lecture the fool I beg.

And the "fool" doesn't deserve lectures from your highly knowledgeable self?

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by tarboshi(m): 3:10am On Mar 04, 2017
If Corruption is by the amount of unused/misused resources, then definitely Lagos is Number one. The poor standard of living in Lagos is appalling compared to its annual revenue.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by pdf90(m): 3:22am On Mar 04, 2017
Amarabae:
1.How is Ebonyi corrupt, a state that its monthly allocation is not up to 1 billion?
2. Imo more corrupt than Edo state? Are you kidding me.
When Imo is more developed than Edo state both in urban and rural areas.
3. Where is Benue state?
My Own top 5 list of corrupt states.
1. Bayelsa State
2. Delta State
3. Kwara State
4. Edo State
5. Benue State.

Imo state is very corrupt my sister .. not only political but in every aspect .... i nknow niggas that do a lot of bad stuffs and how the public of imo view them > as heros< ... if you no chop money for office your family fit disown you ... i know girls that their mothers put in the line of prostitution .. you see young boys of 17 -20 driving range rover , lexus , croos tour , big big cars ... what is their work ? but you see niggas that went to school and came out with some thing to be proud of yet they cant buy honda small 1 .. politicians here na dem b baba .. they dont even respect traffic light and nothing can be done ... once you get a post just de chop de go ... your family might never be poor again .

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by Kingspin(m): 3:43am On Mar 04, 2017
Amarabae:
1.How is Ebonyi corrupt, a state that its monthly allocation is not up to 1 billion?
3. Where is Benue state?
1. Bayelsa State
2. Delta State
3. Kwara State
4. Edo State
5. Benue State.
Borno state Nko check the monthly shared revenue from Abuja compare every state is corrupt I don't believe in the big and biggest arrangement because corruption is corruption. In fact, the more money the more stealing. And Nigerians in general are suffering it together. No electricity, no road, no food. The funny thing about this corruption I always say is that these politicians steal this money and pump them into elections. So the people remain at the mercy of these politicians everyday.
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by TundeHashim(m): 3:54am On Mar 04, 2017
I agree with the author completely..Delta and Rivers States receive higher revenue allocation than most states and they are still backward. if you're unfortunate to be living in delta state, you're FINISHED COMPLETELY...with regards to kwara state...they're is nothing to say...If you're unfortunate to be living in Kwara state..you're COMPLETELY FINISHED

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by orunto27: 3:58am On Mar 04, 2017
Our Legislators are corrupt, what else?
Just carry on legislating corruption.
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by gameboyo: 4:34am On Mar 04, 2017
fratermathy:

Are you sure you read the article at all? Please do, for your own good.

Just to reiterate a major point, Nigeria is CORRUPT! No State is free of it. Some States show it more than some hence the need for this opinionated list.

Northern States are corrupt like every other state in Nigeria and I have indicated a few of them in my list if you read it at all.

Also take note that poverty is high in the North and it fundamentally has more to do with illiteracy, religious fanaticism and established social orders than blatant corruption.

Have u bin to the north or just mere ranting? Taking any form of index into consideration, Northern states are the most corrupt, no matter how u view it. The delta state u are castigating is a Haven for investors, can same be said about any northern state were poverty, illiteracy, lack of public infrastructure is the order of the day? Poverty in the North is alarming, so alarming yet down played, if this is so, then how do u define corruption?
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by Btruth: 4:38am On Mar 04, 2017
Never knew that Delta can came 1st in this category. Anyway, I'm not surprised if a state can celebrate a renowned THIEF by spending well over N350m to celebrate his coming back from prison. What else can one say?

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by ABOKI9ja: 4:44am On Mar 04, 2017
ozoebuka1:
Mr over sabi, I'm done!!! to me, the highest form of corruption one can subject me to is making me to be an illiterate because By doing so, He's taken all from me.
Dont blame government for North's illiteracy though it has some certains vital to play but it provides schools, most of our states are on free Education from primary to secondary for boys and from primary to tertiary institution for girls. What do you exactly want from government? And mind you never believe with Media the illiteracy is not much as your thought
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by ABOKI9ja: 4:47am On Mar 04, 2017
gameboyo:

Have u bin to the north or just mere ranting? Taking any form of index into consideration, Northern states are the most corrupt, no matter how u view it. The delta state u are castigating is a Haven for investors, can same be said about any northern state were poverty, illiteracy, lack of public infrastructure is the order of the day? Poverty in the North is alarming, so alarming yet down played, if this is so, then how do u define corruption?
do you been to North? Dont judge what u never seen, if you want know more about north take Your Ass up there and see. You know nowhere and you are here barking north here and north there North blah blah.....
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by Justiceleague1: 4:49am On Mar 04, 2017
fratermathy:
This is a 2017 list of the most corrupt States in Nigeria. Corruption, as well all know, is endemic to Nigeria. It has affected every nook and cranny of the nation so much that you find it in government, schools, markets, homes, sports, business, religion, and virtually every aspect of Nigerian life. The current Nigerian President has expressed his devotion towards the fight against corruption in the country. However, corruption is so endemic that it may take years, decades even, for it to be eradicated from the psyches of Nigerians. As it stands now, the average Nigerian always looks for ways to cut corners, make things faster, get special consideration, etc, and these amount to various corrupt practices. Let's not even talk of massive looting of public funds, nepotism, bribery, and other massive forms of corruption that occurs at the governmental levels. In this list, I present the most corrupt States in Nigeria with a view to exposing them for all to see so that the people in the States, as well as their leaders, can assess themselves and rebuild their States for the better. In making this list, I considered the various strands of corruption and their density per State, based on available data from the internet and other sources. I am not eulogising the act of corruption but condemning it through an expose of corrupt States, as a shame to the leaders. It is also to be noted that no Nigerian State or the Federal Government, for that matter, is totally free of corrupt practices. The Federal Civil Service has some of Nigeria's most corrupt individuals. However, the States presented below are so corrupt that they dwarf the combined corrupt practices of other Nigerian States, put together.

1. Delta State

This should come as no surprise to keen observers. Delta State is officially the most corrupt Nigerian State. Since the return of democracy in 1999, this State has been plagued by corrupt leaders who have amassed wealth for themselves at the expense of the masses. In fact, corruption is so ingrained in the psyche of Deltans that corrupt leaders that build one or two roads and bridges are seen as heroes!!! In Delta State, corruption occurs at all levels. In governance, corruption manifests through the awards of phantom contracts, inflation of prices of contracts, amassment of public wealth for personal use, diversion of public funds, electoral malpractice, and so much more. The State Civil Service is very corrupt and civil servants are known to collect bribes for little things as vehicle license registration, among others. In terms of Education, corruption is rife as obvious in the high amount of "miracle centres" in the State where monies are collected from students to enable them to pass their examinations. This trend extends to the State University at Abraka. In fact, the average Deltan sees corruption as nothing. Internet fraud is high in cities such as Warri, Asaba, Ughelli, Sapele, Abraka, and other towns across the State. "Yahoo-Yahoo" or "Gee" as it is called, it socially acceptable in this State. The average Waffarian wants to defraud you (yes, it's true! I am one)! For over 25 years of the state, there has been no true development whatsoever and the irony is that this is an Oil Producing State and one of the richest in Nigeria! Even employment is done on the basis of nepotism and bribery! Delta State is floating in a sea of corruption and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has not shone its light there for a long time.

2. Rivers State

This state has always ranked high in corruption in Nigeria. Since the outset of the Fourth Republic in 1999, Rivers State has been transformed into a haven of corruption. Corruption exists in various forms and across all levels of governance. The most corrupt public office holders in this state are the House of Assembly members, Local Government Chairmen, Councillors and Civil Servants, including Permanent Secretaries. Corruption manifests in the award of phantom contracts, inflation of prices of contracts, misuse of funds for constituency projects, amassment of public wealth, fraud, bribery, electoral malpractice, Godfatherism, and much more. Often taunted as the Rivers of Blood, violence is rife in this State and violence occurs because the leaders are not willing to let go of the perks of power. This is also one of the richest States in Nigeria, as well as an Oil Producing State. However, funds meant for the development of communities, towns, and cities, are diverted to personal use. From corrupt schools and idle youths to corrupt governmental agencies and workers, Rivers State doesn't show a lack of corruption.

3. Bayelsa State

Bayelsa State is also one of the Oil Producing States in Nigeria where corruption has become endemic. Bayelsa is a small state of only 8 Local Government Areas.
ogogoro research
sepe conclusions grin
overall Mental grin
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by rolams(m): 5:04am On Mar 04, 2017
Lagos na die, d surname of Lagos na CORRUPTION grin. abeg can somebody remind op d governor dat spent millions of naira on borehole, website upgrading and another one that own and control d whole Lagos, he has many houses, make I no talk ooo. Abeg Lagos na number one jor. What of osun state? U don forget #52million mattress for ekiti and dat #789 million website upgrading. Watin do Ondo, Oyo nko? All na d same Again, op northerners sabi share money, dem sabi steal no be small!

5 Likes

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by oziess(m): 5:05am On Mar 04, 2017
Amarabae:
3. Where is Benue state?
1. Bayelsa State
2. Delta State
3. Kwara State
4. Edo State
5. Benue State.

Edo is not an oil producing state like other southern state and also Edo Is more develop than IMO, if you want to argue am here for you.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by Emassive(m): 5:32am On Mar 04, 2017
I still believe the media in the South makes it easy for us to list our states here as the most corrupt but we never look up North to know how corrupt they are, However, we see the result in the average life of the citizens of those state. Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Lagos, Imo are learners all behind common Kebbi

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by Timoodi: 5:57am On Mar 04, 2017
op,do you hate Niger delta that much, look at your list critically and tell me how you came up It
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by deb(m): 6:14am On Mar 04, 2017
fratermathy:

On what grounds? What are your arguments?

When your castigate a piece, you present a superior argument. That is how things are done.

There are loads of unintelligent half-baked graduates that you will have to deal with on this forum. So, take note.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by firstking01(m): 6:35am On Mar 04, 2017
Eastwalk:
River State is not that corrupt ooo wink
That's not phundecided
Re: Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria by firstking01(m): 6:37am On Mar 04, 2017
ozoebuka1:
Yea, I read your post and my stand still remain that the northern states should top the list. if "illiteracy, religious fanaticism and established social orders" aren't the highest form of corruption I wonder wht corruption is.
Education is a thing of choice...so, the op might be right after all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Saraki Doles Out N5m For Ailing Actors, Promises To Transform Nollywood / High Court Banned Open Grazing In 1969, Akeredolu Rules Effective Tomorrow / Nigerians Vent Frustrations Against President Buhari - CNN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.