Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,311 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 (27909 Views)

Dilemma Of A 2.2 Graduate / How To Get A Job In Nigeria Despite Graduating With A 2.2 / 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by Celsony: 1:11pm On Mar 04, 2017
Kenshinmunac:
@ dammy13 is 2.2 third class or what?

I wonder o... If d OP can say this of 2.2, then 3rd class na death sentence be that.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by danidee10(m): 1:12pm On Mar 04, 2017
Learn how to program!

Seriously They're literally thousands of Jobs waiting for you if you know how to write code!

You don't have to be a guru. Just start Today

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by napoleon77(m): 1:13pm On Mar 04, 2017
lonelydora:

Not always so. That's what most applicants think. Once your CV is superb, any recruiter will want to invite you for a chat.

If you apply online via an automated system and the system either does not have an option for 3rd class or specifically removes 3rd class candidates then your application would end. This is what must major private firms do.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by napoleon77(m): 1:15pm On Mar 04, 2017
Superuser:
Not really true sir. I believe if you can show them value and give them reasons to invite you why won't they. There was a time I wanted relocating to Abuja for a job and I used Google to search for some IT firms in Wuse I I, I got 5 companies which I sent value propositions to via email. Surprisingly 3 of them contacted me after 3days of sending the email. I got 2 offers afterwards and I settled for one.

Most times applicants just send CV and that's all. Have you thought about why the company wants to recruit for that position? What are the current gap the company might have? And what value or solution you can bring on board. That is very key!

You won't have the chance of "showing them value" because their automated recruitment system would remove your application. That's what major private firms do.
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by Superuser(m): 1:17pm On Mar 04, 2017
I rest my case.
napoleon77:

You won't have the chance of "showing them value" because their automated recruitment system would remove your application. That's what major private firms do.
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by anonimi: 1:29pm On Mar 04, 2017
dammy13:
5. Do all it takes to gain experience

At this point, you should not focus on making money if you want to make it big. Do not let your ego overrule when offered job in smaller companies. Jump at those opportunities because they will prepare you for the road ahead.

It is a learning curve; whatever experience you gain there may give you an edge over those who finished with good grades.

Good points you have raised.
I think that you could have included VOLUNTEERING, internship and other arrangements for doing work that is not remunerated in the quest for experience.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2851343_screenshot201509122155001_jpegbfa7784d893218beec7bbaa410aae3d9

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855780_motivationquitoswallpaper10684725_jpegbb9fda572c41a8a09a122f47defd399e

3 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by iyke2ken(m): 1:48pm On Mar 04, 2017
idbami2:
2 2 goalless draw niyen grin

2:2....goalless draw? I jus weak for your matter.

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 04, 2017
dammy13:

https://www.naij.com/1091223-8-a-job-graduating-a-22.html

The only limit a 2.2 graduate faces, is the same faced by other graduates -few jobs for to many people . The best hope of any graduate is to become an entrepreneur or, gather up skills that are hardly affected by economics of scale or diminishing returns. Skills in web design, statistical/mechanistic modeling ,web protection services and many other IT endevours are paying big time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by bukiboy(m): 2:17pm On Mar 04, 2017
Odunharry:
cool

Get professional to help review ur cv.

Improve your communication skill and confidence..

Go for a masters or professional exams.

Don't be discouraged..

Get mentors.

Do hard cv copy submission.

Be patient.

volunteer to work for free and gain experience

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by iamdurent(m): 2:22pm On Mar 04, 2017
jaysan82:
These things are relative. I graduated with a 3rd class in geology and never looked down on myself for a second. I have worked in an oil servicing company and 2 different media houses and earn what most nigerians would consider a very good salary. Thing is this, a lot of employers would offer you a job if ure confident, smart, look/ dress good, communicate effectively and ambitious. Develop urself and work on ur personality. Persona is everything.
what were you doing that you graduated with 3rd class?! 3rd class fa!

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by Melvinsofty: 2:22pm On Mar 04, 2017
When u have bet9ja and your steady 2 odds u are good to go

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by Benitomorgan: 2:46pm On Mar 04, 2017
The op does not know much about graduating with 2.2. Though its not easy to develope a story-kudos. My fellow nairalanders,ur school grade plays little role in job mkt. Most employers ask of grades in order to minimize the numbers of c.vs they will get and to discourage pple with lower grades.
#donotbediscouraged
#keepmoving
#joblessnessisnotanendinitself

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by idbami2(m): 2:47pm On Mar 04, 2017
iyke2ken:

2:2....goalless draw? I jus weak for your matter.
undecided You no go mind yyour business? Aigoo
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by macsilver(m): 2:48pm On Mar 04, 2017
True write up bro. God bless you.
But my question is this.
What do you mean by short certificate courses?
On the lighter side, forget that number 1. For the school wey I graduate, na 3rd class and pass dey dance pass for convocation. Na them their families dey cook bags of rice and cows. See you.
Even spill over students take their families to studio sessions!
And lastly, you should put the last number at the top as number 1. Prayer before everything.
Nice write up anyway.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by CellTabRepairs: 2:49pm On Mar 04, 2017
2.2 or not, add value to yourself. Education does not stop after first degree graduation. That's when your real life learning begins so you begin to do target-skill-based education. Education with a purpose to convert knowledge to money either in an organisation or for private practice!

Soon, my title on ICT Career Roadmap will be released which is designed partly to address the paths and decisions leading to a choice to go solo(PP) or be in organisations as well as the skills to go for that matches your decisions.

Anyway
Remember this; It is not enough to earn & carry about a certificate! That's phase 1. Life is about relevance & providing solutions. Someone right now somewhere is looking for someone who can do something for him/her & get paid! Opportunity Meets with preparation! Is your worth only in that paper certificate even though you hardly have a REAL skill? Therefore; EACH DAY , LET YOUR CAPITAL BE YOUR KNOWLEDGE, SKILL & BARE HANDS!

**Click My Name & View That Resource You Need!**
Don't wait in perpetuity for job invitations after applying! March is here already! The thief you harbour is PROCRASTINATION! Therefore don't wait until the whole year runs out!

Great dreamers don't stay idle at home. They take steps!

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by lonelydora: 2:57pm On Mar 04, 2017
napoleon77:

If you apply online via an automated system and the system either does not have an option for 3rd class or specifically removes 3rd class candidates then your application would end. This is what must major private firms do.

Yes it's true. But you can just click 2.2 or 2.1 to just get an invite, believing you have stuffs to upgrade yourself. Do whatever that can earn you an invite. Then, show them the stuff you have upstairs when invited. My advice has helped more than 10 people get a good paying job.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by napoleon77(m): 3:12pm On Mar 04, 2017
lonelydora:

Yes it's true. But you can just click 2.2 or 2.1 to just get an invite, believing you have stuffs to upgrade yourself. Do whatever that can earn you an invite. Then, show them the stuff you have upstairs when invited. My advice has helped more than 10 people get a good paying job.

Ethical organizations would reject you for dishonesty, but some other organisations may not care.
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by lonelydora: 3:22pm On Mar 04, 2017
napoleon77:

Ethical organizations would reject you for dishonesty, but some other organisations may not care.

You never ready to get job shaa.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by napoleon77(m): 3:29pm On Mar 04, 2017
lonelydora:

Funny guy! Do you know the number of international organisations I have worked with both in Nigeria and abroad?
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by gbagyiza: 3:34pm On Mar 04, 2017
[quote author=Odunharry post=54261638] cool

Get professional to help review ur cv.

Improve your communication skill and confidence..

Go for a masters or professional exams.

Don't be discouraged

Get mentors.

Do hard cv copy submission.

Be patient. [/quote

Most of d job offer i have gotten was tru online recriutment...
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by abasumike12345: 3:35pm On Mar 04, 2017
Kenshinmunac:

Thanks for info. But that's not really bad na. What is the difference between a 2.1 and 2.2 Graduate? Just 1 point o

I have seen third class graduates that are doing better in life than 2.1 graduates. In the North, there are stark illiterates that are self made millionaires. Not all of us are born to work for others bro

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by napoleon77(m): 3:48pm On Mar 04, 2017
abasumike12345:

I have seen third class graduates that are doing better in life than 2.1 graduates. In the North, there are stark illiterates that are self made millionaires. Not all of us are born to work for others bro

No one is doubting that.

I think the discourse is about getting a job and not about doing better than someone and the fact remains that all things being equal it is easier to get a job with a 2.1 than with a 2.2 or 3rd class but it doesn't necessarily mean that the graduate with a 2.1 would do better than the graduate with a 2.2 or 3rd class

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by Odunharry(m): 4:28pm On Mar 04, 2017
bukiboy:

volunteer to work for free and gain experience
This is true.. Also did one year Voluntary service.
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by lonelydora: 4:42pm On Mar 04, 2017
napoleon77:

Funny guy! Do you know the number of international organisations I have worked with both in Nigeria and abroad?

Do you know the number of multinationals i have worked with and the one I'm currently working for? I have many years experience in case you don't know.
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by napoleon77(m): 4:54pm On Mar 04, 2017
lonelydora:

lonelydora:

Do you know the number of multinationals i have worked with and the one I'm currently working for? I have many years experience in case you don't know.

So what's your point in saying "You never ready to get job shaa"?? Did I tell you I was looking for a job? Do you know the organization I work for in the country I am currently residing in?
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by lonelydora: 5:00pm On Mar 04, 2017
napoleon77:

So what's your point in saying "You never ready to get job shaa"?? Did I tell you I was looking for a job? Do you know the organization I work for in the country I am currently residing in?

I'm not here to know who's richer or not. You work for an international organization and I work for a multinational.
You run a blog and I run a haulage company for extra pay. You are big in your own way and I am big in my own way. That's all. Can I rest now?
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by Dondave11: 5:02pm On Mar 04, 2017
Superuser:
I graduated with a 2.2 in Biochemistry and I have worked in more than 5 multinationals including Maersk, Oracle, EMC, Reuters et al. While working at a Canadian company in Abuja I met a guy who graduated with Pass in Food Technology whom I groomed to becoming an IT Sales guru. Guess what? He worked with 2 local IT coys and he is at present working with a multinational IT coy earning $4000 monthly after tax.

Your grade is just a number if you don't believe in yourself!
lies....

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by Omotaday(m): 5:25pm On Mar 04, 2017
danidee10:
Learn how to program!

Seriously They're literally thousands of Jobs waiting for you if you know how to write code!

You don't have to be a guru. Just start Today
Please i have passion for this, i want to be a programmer. I am a final year student of mass communication, How can i get started?
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by EHI9ICE(m): 5:28pm On Mar 04, 2017
Me too.I am interested.
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by greatefa1011(m): 5:49pm On Mar 04, 2017
Yes, grade is not the ultimate measure of a man's ability cos some upper credit, 2.1 candidate couldn't express them self well. Which is the most reason why some employers are beginning to lose confidence in some grades.
Re: 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by happyjill(m): 7:18pm On Mar 04, 2017
Richy4:
I never knew 2.2 has been relegated to division 3...It used to be 3rd class before..Things has indeed changed angry...

no man the poster has no idea...2.2 is what most graduates come out with. 2.1 is like first class few nigerian university gives 1st class to deserving students

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Am Sending 10,000 Naira To An Anonymous Nigerian Every Week. / Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? / Ajaokuta Steel Company To Employ 500,000 Upstream, Downstream In 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.