Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

Mtn Pop-up Messages; A Scam Like Non-other. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mtn Pop-up Messages; A Scam Like Non-other. (505 Views)

Infinix S5 Pro - The Cheapest Motorized Pop Up Camera Smartphone / Easiest Way To Schedule Text Messages To Send At A Later Date / Whatsapp Amazing New Features For Recalling Your Messages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mtn Pop-up Messages; A Scam Like Non-other. by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 04, 2017
Every day, new ideas and opinions are developed by institutions and companies to stabilize and increase their income. The ideas could be fair to the populace, but some ideas are like ravenous wolves, built to spoil the populace and feed these institutions. Such idea as the use of pop-up messages by the telecommunication giant; MTN.
I don’t think there is a worse scam than that. As the name implies, these pop-up messages pop up suddenly and leap on unsuspecting customers, forcefully though technically to extort from them.
That exactly is what i fell victim to, when i was sent a message that i couldn’t subscribe for a package due to insufficient balance. i ignored the message feeling they are trying to remind me to recharge. Hours later i needed to make a call and then recharged. But to my utmost surprise my balance had been cart away to pay for a service i never requested.
I called the customer care helpline and was told the money cannot be refunded because i may have activated the service “unconsciously” when a pop-up message is on. The annoying thing was the customer care agent responding to my question “whether that is a cheat or not?” said it is an “advertisement strategy”.
I cant but wonder how long we will allow this “advertisement strategy” to keep sucking from us. Maybe one day, banks will employ the same strategy at the ATM, or better still, DSTV and other pay TVs while selecting channels. This should seriously continue no longer, as it is a clear exploitation of the masses. I think the N.C.C should look into this, because i really wonder how many “unconscious” fifty Naira of the masses MTN reaps into its treasury in a year.

1 Like

Re: Mtn Pop-up Messages; A Scam Like Non-other. by Heavance(m): 5:50pm On Mar 04, 2017
I couldn't get angry when I was told I subscribed, is it possible to unconsciously subscribe for dstv bouquet?
So why has mtn decided to steal from us?
I even asked the customer service, why the messages come up on our screen without our consent, she had no answer o.

1 Like

Re: Mtn Pop-up Messages; A Scam Like Non-other. by FX2BROWN: 10:42pm On Mar 04, 2017
Not only MTN, Etisalat has done it to me. I didn't subscribe to Hangout with Tubaba, but they keep deducting from my credit , too bad from these networks;

(1) (Reply)

Shop For Refurbished Iphone 5 Online / From Borderless Displays To Curved Screens, How Your Smartphone Is Changing / Do You Want To Get An Affordable Iphone Contact Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.