Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,735 members, 7,813,418 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:04 PM

Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know (6463 Views)

Nigeria Vs India / All You Need To Know About The Nigeria Vs India Match That Ended 99-1(photos) / Can You Remember How You Learnt The First 20 Elements? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Abaje195(m): 6:22pm On Mar 04, 2017
REMEMBER THE NIGERIA
VERSUS INDIA MATCH
EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT?
HERE’S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
ABOUT IT (WITH PHOTO)

Nigeria versus India match: Virtually everybody
born before the invention of the internet must
have heard the tale of a nonexistent football
match between Nigeria and India that obviously
took place in a parallel universe and somehow
we got to hear the gory stories of that match.
Though there are many variations of the story,
every prevaricator seems to agree on a couple
of facts about this fictional football match. Each
storyteller agrees that; 1. This match ended with India scoring 99 goals
and Nigeria scoring just one goal.
2. Nigerians where unable to kick the ball
because the football kept turning to a lion (or
something scary) to prevent them from playing
the soccer ball.
3. The Indians later agreed that if Nigeria could
score a goal, they would concede defeat.
4. Samuel Okwaraji scored the winning goal and
lost his life in the process.
5. FIFA banned India from soccer because they
used black magic in that very game
With the help of common sense (not that it was
absent back then), quick access to information
and the internet, every right thinking Nigerian
has come to realize that such a story should be
filled under blatant lies.

Why Did This Story Thrive
For So Long?

Most people like to pass off this story as true
with the fact that no one has ever seen India in
an International Football Match. Since no one
actually saw India participate in most
international soccer games, this gave a little
credence to the story. India
Another reason this lie could thrive for long was
the fact that credible information was not
readily available at our finger tips. It not like
every Emeka, Audu and Ojo could visit Google in
a matter of minutes and tell our ominous
fabricators that they should stop spreading toxic
lies.
And to be honest we have a tingling feeling that
this lie was concocted by an elder of a
community because, let’s be honest who
questions the words of the elders in Nigeria.
Remember, what an adult sees sitting down a
child will never see even if he consults Google,
Siri or Cortana.
The Element of Truth In
This Story
On the 12th of August 1989, Nigeria lost Sam
Okwaraji.
Sam Okwaraji was the player rumored to have
lost his life in that game when in truth he died
during a FIFA World Cup qualifying game against
Angola in the 77th minute.
He collapsed and died of cognitive heart failure.
May his soul rest in Perfect Peace. AMEN
So that is the only truthful thing about that
story, the fact that a Nigerian player died during
a football match. That’s it. The match was not
against India, we did not lose the match and as
you must have guessed, and there were no lions
either.

What Is The Deal With
India Anyway?

India qualified for the 1950 FIFA world cup as a
result of the withdrawal of their scheduled
opponents. But the Indian football governing
body, the All India Football Federation (AIFF)
decided against going to the world cup, being
unable to understand the importance of the
event at that time.
Some of the Reasons shown by the AIFF
included the cost of travel, lack of practice
time, team selection issued and valuing the
Olympics over the FIFA World cup. It should be
noted that FIFA agreed to bear a major part of
the travel expenses, but it did not really help
their decision making.
Was India Banned For
Refusing To Play
Barefoot?
The 1948 London Olympics was India’s first
major international tournament, where a
predominantly barefoot Indian team lost 2 -1 to
France.
Following the 1948 Olympics FIFA imposed a
rule banning barefoot play.
The belief that the Indian team refused to play
because they were not allowed to play barefoot
is not entirely true according to the then team
captain who said it was just a story to cover
the disastrous decision of the AFIF.
After the 1950 fiasco, India has never come
close to qualifying for the World Cup.
The reason you do not see India in World Cup
competitions is because they do not qualify
So Does The Indian Team
Wear Soccer Boots?
In the 1952 Olympics, the Indian team lost 10 –
1 to Yugoslavia (talking about taking a beating).
As a result of this magnanimous defeat the
AIFF made it compulsory for its team members
to wear boots

Is it Possible to win a
match with a 99 – 1
match margin?

Yes.
It is absolutely possible to rake 99 – 1 from a
single football match. Let’s take a walk down
memory lane and see how this is even possible.
Now allow us to digress.
The highest scoring soccer game was 149-0!
You’re probably wondering how a soccer team
could be so bad that they let 149 goals be
scored, but the truth is it was a form of protest.
The event occurred in 2002 after a 2-2 draw
between rival teams Stade Olympique de
L’emyrne, or SOE, and AS Adema of
Madagascar, which resulted in the referees
awarding a penalty causing SOE to lose the
game.
During a match fixing debacle in Nigeria, the
Feeders scored 72 of their 79-0 victory in 45
minutes of play. Police Machine scored 61 of
their 67-0 victory in the second half. At one
point, they scored four goals in a minute.
Arbroath won Bon Accord 36 – 0 in 1885. It held
the largest margin of victory in professional
football where both sides wanted to win.
So, yes, given the “right circumstances”, a team
could actually receive 99 – 1 beating without
any black magic whatsoever.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by BLACKCHARGER(m): 6:23pm On Mar 04, 2017
So ah go read all dese tins just for match...

4 Likes

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Nobody: 6:27pm On Mar 04, 2017
99 goals to 1. I believed that story then, make I no lie. They said the ball turned to lion because of indian juju. grin cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Epositive(m): 6:34pm On Mar 04, 2017
all those magic tricks in india movies helped to back up the story,,,, chai! my uncle told me this story with full confidence but who am i to take a h'action?

#positivevibes

3 Likes

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by slyng(m): 6:38pm On Mar 04, 2017
Weldone op for the clarifications for those who needed it. I must tell you that i saw the match when we loss okwaraji but this india-nigeria story has been in existence b4 then.

1 Like

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 04, 2017
The story is true joor.
I was there when the match was played,it was sharukahn that scored the 99th goal.

17 Likes

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 04, 2017
Lalasticlala
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by okosodo: 7:17pm On Mar 04, 2017
I no believe right from time

1 Like

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Lisaflex(f): 7:50pm On Mar 04, 2017
Op, y r u lyk ds? Hw cn u wake up one mornin n put ur finger in ur nose 2 tell me dt a story i've been likin since i was born is false? It is not fair at all!! sad ..U sure knw hw 2 brk hrts

8 Likes

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Abdhul(m): 8:20pm On Mar 04, 2017
SO IT WAS IT LIE? eh op?
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Mario1989(m): 8:31pm On Mar 04, 2017
Lie Mohammed everywhere... na so so fake stories we done dey hear since we small...
#mario

1 Like

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by leewin(m): 8:57pm On Mar 04, 2017
that story was one of d sweetest fake story t
of our childhood....... so u want to now tk it away from us Abi....... wehdone sir

4 Likes

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by philGeo(m): 8:58pm On Mar 04, 2017
Thank you op, i believe the story but as i come grow, i being to the think about it.
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Tazdroid(m): 9:20pm On Mar 04, 2017
Hehehe, I bought this akara of a story, ate it with bread and digested it grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by CRAPHA96(m): 10:00pm On Mar 04, 2017
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by CRAPHA96(m): 10:20pm On Mar 04, 2017
g

5 Likes

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by PenisCaP: 10:28pm On Mar 04, 2017
CRAPHA96:
LOL those days we still live in aba u know as a son of a police man......there's this song igbo people sang about that match

abum number 1, abum number 2, abum number 3 taribo west anam echeta sam okwaraji onye nijiria kwuru okwu ike, kpa kpa kpa...kpa goalkeeper, goalkeeper............

pls any igbo person in the huz should pinish it for me....I no be igbo
OMO ODUDUWA 100%
grin grin grin..
then how were u able to deliver it perf3ctly.
O boy u wicked oo.. see how u carry me go ages backward. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by sirfit: 10:35pm On Mar 04, 2017
Own a networking site today whatsapp 09071512992 scripts avalaible at cheap price
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by AkinPhysicist: 10:35pm On Mar 04, 2017
Abaje195:
REMEMBER THE NIGERIA
VERSUS INDIA MATCH
EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT?
HERE’S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
ABOUT IT (WITH PHOTO)

Nigeria versus India match: Virtually everybody
born before the invention of the internet must
have heard the tale of a nonexistent football
match between Nigeria and India that obviously
took place in a parallel universe and somehow
we got to hear the gory stories of that match.
Though there are many variations of the story,
every prevaricator seems to agree on a couple
of facts about this fictional football match. Each
storyteller agrees that; 1. This match ended with India scoring 99 goals
and Nigeria scoring just one goal.
2. Nigerians where unable to kick the ball
because the football kept turning to a lion (or
something scary) to prevent them from playing
the soccer ball.
3. The Indians later agreed that if Nigeria could
score a goal, they would concede defeat.
4. Samuel Okwaraji scored the winning goal and
lost his life in the process.
5. FIFA banned India from soccer because they
used black magic in that very game
With the help of common sense (not that it was
absent back then), quick access to information
and the internet, every right thinking Nigerian
has come to realize that such a story should be
filled under blatant lies.

Why Did This Story Thrive
For So Long?

Most people like to pass off this story as true
with the fact that no one has ever seen India in
an International Football Match. Since no one
actually saw India participate in most
international soccer games, this gave a little
credence to the story. India
Another reason this lie could thrive for long was
the fact that credible information was not
readily available at our finger tips. It not like
every Emeka, Audu and Ojo could visit Google in
a matter of minutes and tell our ominous
fabricators that they should stop spreading toxic
lies.
And to be honest we have a tingling feeling that
this lie was concocted by an elder of a
community because, let’s be honest who
questions the words of the elders in Nigeria.
Remember, what an adult sees sitting down a
child will never see even if he consults Google,
Siri or Cortana.
The Element of Truth In
This Story
On the 12th of August 1989, Nigeria lost Sam
Okwaraji.
Sam Okwaraji was the player rumored to have
lost his life in that game when in truth he died
during a FIFA World Cup qualifying game against
Angola in the 77th minute.
He collapsed and died of cognitive heart failure.
May his soul rest in Perfect Peace. AMEN
So that is the only truthful thing about that
story, the fact that a Nigerian player died during
a football match. That’s it. The match was not
against India, we did not lose the match and as
you must have guessed, and there were no lions
either.

1 Like

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by CRAPHA96(m): 10:35pm On Mar 04, 2017
PenisCaP:

grin grin grin..
then how were u able to deliver it perf3ctly.
O boy u wicked oo.. see how u carry me go ages backward. grin
lol...my nigga I be 100% ogbeni ofe nmanu grin grin
my pale is a police nigga he was postee to aba when I waa still a kid
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Xbursta(m): 10:36pm On Mar 04, 2017
Abaje195:
REMEMBER THE NIGERIA VERSUS INDIA MATCH EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT? HERE’S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT (WITH PHOTO)
Nigeria versus India match: Virtually everybody born before the invention of the internet must have heard the tale of a nonexistent football match between Nigeria and India that obviously took place in a parallel universe and somehow we got to hear the gory stories of that match. Though there are many variations of the story, every prevaricator seems to agree on a couple of facts about this fictional football match. Each storyteller agrees that; 1. This match ended with India scoring 99 goals and Nigeria scoring just one goal. 2. Nigerians where unable to kick the ball because the football kept turning to a lion (or something scary) to prevent them from playing the soccer ball. 3. The Indians later agreed that if Nigeria could score a goal, they would concede defeat. 4. Samuel Okwaraji scored the winning goal and lost his life in the process. 5. FIFA banned India from soccer because they used black magic in that very game With the help of common sense (not that it was absent back then), quick access to information and the internet, every right thinking Nigerian has come to realize that such a story should be filled under blatant lies.
Why Did This Story Thrive For So Long?
Most people like to pass off this story as true with the fact that no one has ever seen India in an International Football Match. Since no one actually saw India participate in most international soccer games, this gave a little credence to the story. India Another reason this lie could thrive for long was the fact that credible information was not readily available at our finger tips. It not like every Emeka, Audu and Ojo could visit Google in a matter of minutes and tell our ominous fabricators that they should stop spreading toxic lies. And to be honest we have a tingling feeling that this lie was concocted by an elder of a community because, let’s be honest who questions the words of the elders in Nigeria. Remember, what an adult sees sitting down a child will never see even if he consults Google, Siri or Cortana. The Element of Truth In This Story On the 12th of August 1989, Nigeria lost Sam Okwaraji. Sam Okwaraji was the player rumored to have lost his life in that game when in truth he died during a FIFA World Cup qualifying game against Angola in the 77th minute. He collapsed and died of cognitive heart failure. May his soul rest in Perfect Peace. AMEN So that is the only truthful thing about that story, the fact that a Nigerian player died during a football match. That’s it. The match was not against India, we did not lose the match and as you must have guessed, and there were no lions either.
What Is The Deal With India Anyway?
India qualified for the 1950 FIFA world cup as a result of the withdrawal of their scheduled opponents. But the Indian football governing body, the All India Football Federation (AIFF) decided against going to the world cup, being unable to understand the importance of the event at that time. Some of the Reasons shown by the AIFF included the cost of travel, lack of practice time, team selection issued and valuing the Olympics over the FIFA World cup. It should be noted that FIFA agreed to bear a major part of the travel expenses, but it did not really help their decision making. Was India Banned For Refusing To Play Barefoot? The 1948 London Olympics was India’s first major international tournament, where a predominantly barefoot Indian team lost 2 -1 to France. Following the 1948 Olympics FIFA imposed a rule banning barefoot play. The belief that the Indian team refused to play because they were not allowed to play barefoot is not entirely true according to the then team captain who said it was just a story to cover the disastrous decision of the AFIF. After the 1950 fiasco, India has never come close to qualifying for the World Cup. The reason you do not see India in World Cup competitions is because they do not qualify So Does The Indian Team Wear Soccer Boots? In the 1952 Olympics, the Indian team lost 10 – 1 to Yugoslavia (talking about taking a beating). As a result of this magnanimous defeat the AIFF made it compulsory for its team members to wear boots
Is it Possible to win a match with a 99 – 1 match margin?
Yes. It is absolutely possible to rake 99 – 1 from a single football match. Let’s take a walk down memory lane and see how this is even possible. Now allow us to digress. The highest scoring soccer game was 149-0! You’re probably wondering how a soccer team could be so bad that they let 149 goals be scored, but the truth is it was a form of protest. The event occurred in 2002 after a 2-2 draw between rival teams Stade Olympique de L’emyrne, or SOE, and AS Adema of Madagascar, which resulted in the referees awarding a penalty causing SOE to lose the game. During a match fixing debacle in Nigeria, the Feeders scored 72 of their 79-0 victory in 45 minutes of play. Police Machine scored 61 of their 67-0 victory in the second half. At one point, they scored four goals in a minute. Arbroath won Bon Accord 36 – 0 in 1885. It held the largest margin of victory in professional football where both sides wanted to win. So, yes, given the “right circumstances”, a team could actually receive 99 – 1 beating without any black magic whatsoever.

I read it all then my account was credited thank you

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by PenisCaP: 10:42pm On Mar 04, 2017
CRAPHA96:
lol...my nigga I be 100% ogbeni ofe nmanu grin grin
my pale is a police nigga he was postee to aba when I waa still a kid

Hahaha nawao funny niGGy
u sabi am wella oo.. i busted in laff wen i saw dat ur post. grin
I dnt even know i can still sing it like this.
Asin eeh u just carry my brain go very very far behind.. i wee not forgiv u. grin

ABEG HOW LONG DID U STAY DERE FOR U LEARN THAT IGBOTIC SONG cheesy
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Idydarling(f): 10:47pm On Mar 04, 2017
na wa ooo
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by CRAPHA96(m): 10:51pm On Mar 04, 2017
PenisCaP:

Hahaha nawao funny niGGy
u sabi am wella oo.. i busted in laff wen i saw dat ur post. grin
I dnt even know i can still sing it like this.
Asin eeh u just carry my brain go very very far behind.. i wee not forgiv u. grin

ABEG HOW LONG DID U STAY DERE FOR U LEARN THAT IGBOTIC SONG cheesy
mah bro almost 9years...that was in central barracks eziukwu...I cab even bet my nokia phone say I sabi speak igbo than u... grin
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by globexpo: 10:58pm On Mar 04, 2017
India had second team playing on the air

1 Like

Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by MuskElon: 11:09pm On Mar 04, 2017
Op you can lie o. My uncle Ochuko, was the referee and he gave me the full undiluted gist.
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by dauddy97(m): 11:13pm On Mar 04, 2017
This is the greatest lie every Nigerian ever received. I was told about this story by my Teacher when I was in primary school. I emulated my teacher by telling my pupils in the class also. But now, everyone eyes has opened. Even the story sef was told by the Indian.
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by PenisCaP: 11:17pm On Mar 04, 2017
CRAPHA96:
mah bro almost 9years...that was in central barracks eziukwu...I cab even bet my nokia phone say I sabi speak igbo than u... grin

Hahaha.. as u sing dat song eeeh.
Therez nothing u no go sabi for igbo oo dat song no be here.. grin i bow
9good years wow!..
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by CRAPHA96(m): 11:25pm On Mar 04, 2017
PenisCaP:

Hahaha.. as u sing dat song eeeh.
Therez nothing u no go sabi for igbo oo dat song no be here.. grin i bow
9good years wow!..
I really like my stay bk there....I got alot of friends bk there....I really miss aba..hoping to be there one day
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by PenisCaP: 11:38pm On Mar 04, 2017
CRAPHA96:
I really like my stay bk there....I got alot of friends bk there....I really miss aba..hoping to be there one day

Eiyaa... its good know bro.
Yea u can make out time to be ther someday.
Im sure theyl b glad to see u..
Dats if u cn recognise d place oh.. grin
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by darkmarky(m): 11:57pm On Mar 04, 2017
Lol I been believe d tin scarra
Re: Remember D Nigeria Vs India Match People Talks Abt? Here Is All You Need To Know by Mayydayy(m): 12:29am On Mar 05, 2017
Walahi
India wicked.they wanted us to be kicking lions like balls.
Mind u.nobody kicks lion and remains d same.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Count Us Out Of NANS’ Planned Activities In Ekiti ―EKSU SUG / Nigerian Students Shine At World Robot Olympiad / Government Of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum FULL Scholarship 2017/18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.