Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,524 members, 7,816,281 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers (26714 Views)

Your Phone Password Can Kill You / Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy / If Your Email Address Is On This List Of 711,000,000, Change Your Password Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by emmanuelgon: 10:28am On Mar 05, 2017
daamazing:
[img]https://2.bp..com/-I_7NfaGOYgU/WLtmPPOJ9KI/AAAAAAAAAOo/L3I4hwtr-ScG55CB9Ku6jqW3POGb6yQ2ACLcB/s1600/How-Hackers-Get-Your-Data-and-How-to-Prevent-It.jpg[/img]
We live in a world filled with lot of cyber-crime.Have you ever been hacked? Am sure you'll agree with me that been hacked comes with a terrible feeling of being insecured. Bank account details, or mails been released to the cyber world. If you’ve been a victim of cyber-hacking, there’s a high probability that the hacker used one of theses methods outlined below.

Trying common passwords
The first thing a hacker tries when trying to snoop into your personal accounts is 'trying random common passwords'. It may sound silly but most average internet users still use passwords that consists of few letters. Although, trying common passwords are not always a hit, but they're worth trying and if it the hacker makes a hit, he'll just probably sit back and pop a little whiskey.

Using repeated passwords
Should a hacker still fail to guess a password, they’ll have to start breaking out some true hacking skill – but perhaps not much. Most people use the same password on multiple sites, and many use just one password for everything. Hackers know this, and they also know that many sites have weak security.

Using the information found while reviewing your social networking profiles, a hacker may be able to identify sites you visit. Some are sure to be heavily guarded, e.g Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. However, in a technical sense, nothing is really guarded in the cyber world. If Yahoo and other Top IT companies can be hacked, then real internet security is just a mere dream. So if the hacker visits a low guarded site, he extracts your account information from the site and unluckily for you, you happen to share the same account login information with the site the hacker;s trying to get in, thats an easy way of saying "You have been hacked".

Phishing
This is the one of the most commonly used tools by cyber-crimetivists. It is the most commonly used method because it actually depends on how the hacker tricks an unsuspecting internet user to follow up on a link and input login details into the site. This login details is now stored on the server, and the hacker can access later on and input on the desired website. Common examples are fake facebook login pages.
[img]https://3.bp..com/---HjnlajCAo/WLtjF6f8YfI/AAAAAAAAAOc/IuhBwBILy-swlH-Zgf1pni5wM3Xl4ntzwCLcB/s640/Facebook-phishing-page.jpg[/img]

Keylogger attack
This hacking tool is very similar to Phishing and is generally spread through malware infection. The victim is usually trapped into installing a keylogger on his/her PC/Laptop by clicking on an attachment is sent to victim email. The moment you download the attachment, it scans through your browser. Once installed, the keylogger records all your Internet activity which is than relayed back to the command and control servers.

BruteForce attack
Brute force is about overpowering the computer’s defenses by using repetition. Brute force attack is a random trial and error method hack repeated till the password is finally cracked, However some websites or companies have a trial limit. For example, If a user inputs a wrong password more than 3 times, the system automtically locks out the user for a specific period of time; thereby, reducing the probability of hackers gaining something out of bruteforcing. Hackers randomly keep applying names and numbers to crack password through this pattern. Sometimes, a lot of guesswork is also used to decode password. Arithmetic numbers, birth date, pet’s name, favourite actor’s name are the password that users commonly use.

Rainbow table
This method requires a good knowledge of computers and coding.Rainbow Tables are basically huge sets of precomputed tables filled with hash values that are pre-matched to possible plaintext passwords. The Rainbow Tables essentially allow hackers to reverse the hashing function to determine what the plaintext password might be. It’s possible for two different passwords to result in the same hash so it’s not important to find out what the original password was, just as long as it has the same hash. The plaintext password may not even be the same password that was created by the user, but as long as the hash is matched, then it doesn’t matter what the original password was.
This allow for passwords to be cracked in a very short amount of time compared with brute-force methods, however, the trade-off is that it takes a lot of storage (sometimes Terabytes) to hold the Rainbow Tables themselves, Storage these days is plentiful and cheap so this is not a big issue for hackers.

This article was culled from techredirector.com
link to article:http://www.techredirector.com/2017/03/6-ways-your-password-can-be-cracked-by.html
Techredirector | TechBlog

please I'm looking for a hacker to help me, I'll pay the hacker hamesomely when it works
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by keandre: 11:18am On Mar 05, 2017
I hack facebook accounts for fun, phishing is getting outdated tho.
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by chycco: 11:35am On Mar 05, 2017
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by notoriousbabe: 11:48am On Mar 05, 2017
If you need my password for my nairaland account just type sweettotoisavailable and you on to post your shiiiiit

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by leeikem(m): 11:52am On Mar 05, 2017
TreasuredLeidy:
.Hackers r liable to die young

Hope you know most secret agents for governments are hackers ?
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by daamazing(m): 12:26pm On Mar 05, 2017
Iamwrath:
Or simply beating the shyttt out of you until you tell your password

Then social engineering
you be winch? Lol
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by chidiwar(m): 12:46pm On Mar 05, 2017
What do someone tryin to hack my twitter accnt gain from alll d stress
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Naira4Dollarz: 1:06pm On Mar 05, 2017
chycco:

Please am looking for a hacker for bountiful serious business.send me a PM ASAP
emmanuelgon:

please I'm looking for a hacker to help me, I'll pay the hacker hamesomely when it works

Send me a message on officerickfoster@gmail.com for your hacking tutorials. You guys are geeks but if you cam complete the modules. You are getting there. Most great hackers never learnt in schools.
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by godwinony(m): 1:15pm On Mar 05, 2017
Reski:
From a security point of view. There is no password that can't be cracked. Its just the length of time required to do it it that should be considered.
For example
6e4$2&3!-5 safe combo will take very long time to crack even with a brute force attack.
amaka123 or mike1987 quite weak and easy to guess.
Using THC hydra or CAIN, that won't take me 5mins to crack.
Using ARP spoofing, I can get login details by simply intercepting packets of data and decrypting to text format...most acclaimed secure sites are not even secure.

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by jimb(m): 1:26pm On Mar 05, 2017
JOACHINpedro:
U Mean My Stolen A T M Card Could Be Hacked?!
that one na small thing whre I dey
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by GreatManBee: 2:39pm On Mar 05, 2017
daamazing:
[img]https://2.bp..com/-I_7NfaGOYgU/WLtmPPOJ9KI/AAAAAAAAAOo/L3I4hwtr-ScG55CB9Ku6jqW3POGb6yQ2ACLcB/s1600/How-Hackers-Get-Your-Data-and-How-to-Prevent-It.jpg[/img]
We live in a world filled with lot of cyber-crime.Have you ever been hacked? Am sure you'll agree with me that been hacked comes with a terrible feeling of being insecured. Bank account details, or mails been released to the cyber world. If you’ve been a victim of cyber-hacking, there’s a high probability that the hacker used one of theses methods outlined below.

Trying common passwords
The first thing a hacker tries when trying to snoop into your personal accounts is 'trying random common passwords'. It may sound silly but most average internet users still use passwords that consists of few letters. Although, trying common passwords are not always a hit, but they're worth trying and if it the hacker makes a hit, he'll just probably sit back and pop a little whiskey.

Using repeated passwords
Should a hacker still fail to guess a password, they’ll have to start breaking out some true hacking skill – but perhaps not much. Most people use the same password on multiple sites, and many use just one password for everything. Hackers know this, and they also know that many sites have weak security.

Using the information found while reviewing your social networking profiles, a hacker may be able to identify sites you visit. Some are sure to be heavily guarded, e.g Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. However, in a technical sense, nothing is really guarded in the cyber world. If Yahoo and other Top IT companies can be hacked, then real internet security is just a mere dream. So if the hacker visits a low guarded site, he extracts your account information from the site and unluckily for you, you happen to share the same account login information with the site the hacker;s trying to get in, thats an easy way of saying "You have been hacked".

Phishing
This is the one of the most commonly used tools by cyber-crimetivists. It is the most commonly used method because it actually depends on how the hacker tricks an unsuspecting internet user to follow up on a link and input login details into the site. This login details is now stored on the server, and the hacker can access later on and input on the desired website. Common examples are fake facebook login pages.
[img]https://3.bp..com/---HjnlajCAo/WLtjF6f8YfI/AAAAAAAAAOc/IuhBwBILy-swlH-Zgf1pni5wM3Xl4ntzwCLcB/s640/Facebook-phishing-page.jpg[/img]

Keylogger attack
This hacking tool is very similar to Phishing and is generally spread through malware infection. The victim is usually trapped into installing a keylogger on his/her PC/Laptop by clicking on an attachment is sent to victim email. The moment you download the attachment, it scans through your browser. Once installed, the keylogger records all your Internet activity which is than relayed back to the command and control servers.

BruteForce attack
Brute force is about overpowering the computer’s defenses by using repetition. Brute force attack is a random trial and error method hack repeated till the password is finally cracked, However some websites or companies have a trial limit. For example, If a user inputs a wrong password more than 3 times, the system automtically locks out the user for a specific period of time; thereby, reducing the probability of hackers gaining something out of bruteforcing. Hackers randomly keep applying names and numbers to crack password through this pattern. Sometimes, a lot of guesswork is also used to decode password. Arithmetic numbers, birth date, pet’s name, favourite actor’s name are the password that users commonly use.

Rainbow table
This method requires a good knowledge of computers and coding.Rainbow Tables are basically huge sets of precomputed tables filled with hash values that are pre-matched to possible plaintext passwords. The Rainbow Tables essentially allow hackers to reverse the hashing function to determine what the plaintext password might be. It’s possible for two different passwords to result in the same hash so it’s not important to find out what the original password was, just as long as it has the same hash. The plaintext password may not even be the same password that was created by the user, but as long as the hash is matched, then it doesn’t matter what the original password was.
This allow for passwords to be cracked in a very short amount of time compared with brute-force methods, however, the trade-off is that it takes a lot of storage (sometimes Terabytes) to hold the Rainbow Tables themselves, Storage these days is plentiful and cheap so this is not a big issue for hackers.

link to article:http://www.techredirector.com/2017/03/6-ways-your-password-can-be-cracked-by.html
Techredirector | TechBlog

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by alezzy13: 3:02pm On Mar 05, 2017
godwinony:

Using ARP spoofing, I can get login details by simply intercepting packets of data and decrypting to text format...most acclaimed secure sites are not even secure.

Seriously?? You can crack a password like "6e4$2&3!-5" in five mins?? You be genius ooo. But yes, I know you are exaggerating. tongue

That said, a password, no matter how long or sophisticated is a pretty lousy way of securing your data. Hence most sites esp those that deal with finances require multiple authentications - 2FAs or even 3FA.
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by alezzy13: 3:17pm On Mar 05, 2017
. . .and one last tip, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS REGULARLY!!
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by daamazing(m): 3:47pm On Mar 05, 2017
AyamConfidence e Yaff hit FP without calling admin o
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 05, 2017
godwinony:

which forum do you frequent on the dark web. Whats your I.d? I will like to see your own exploits if you are so good. Hydra and cain those aint yours prove to me you are not a script kiddie.
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by pacespot(m): 4:25pm On Mar 05, 2017
The keyloggers thing is the most scary of all. Imagine, downloading a malware file that will continue monitoring your activities on the web, kind of a web version of CIA spy and wiretapper.

Someone has to be very careful before clicking a link

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by JOACHINpedro: 4:36pm On Mar 05, 2017
jimb:

that one na small thing whre I dey
Gosh!. This must be really hard on the thief that stole both my atm and wallet,cus i don't even have up to a thousand naira inside the account. but wil block the card though.
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by godwinony(m): 5:05pm On Mar 05, 2017
Reski:
which forum do you frequent on the dark web. Whats your I.d? I will like to see your own exploits if you are so good. Hydra and cain those aint yours prove to me you are not a script kiddie.
Where'd I say I created them...I just make use of them..
I don't do the dark web. Not a "tor-head".. smiley
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by godwinony(m): 5:06pm On Mar 05, 2017
alezzy13:

Seriously?? You can crack a password like "6e4$2&3!-5" in five mins?? You be genius ooo. But yes, I know you are exaggerating. tongue

That said, a password, no matter how long or sophisticated is a pretty lousy way of securing your data. Hence most sites esp those that deal with finances require multiple authentications - 2FAs or even 3FA.
Lol.. smiley
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 05, 2017
[quote author=daamazing post=54282060][img]https://2.bp..com/-I_7NfaGOYgU/WLtmPPOJ9KI/AAAAAAAAAOo/L3I4hwtr-ScG55CB9Ku6jqW3POGb6yQ2ACLcB/s1600/How-Hackers-Get-Your-Data-and-How-to-Prevent-It.jpg[/img]

Trying common passwords

Using repeated passwords

Phishing

Keylogger attack

BruteForce attack

Rainbow table

link to article:http://www.te
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by cyber5(m): 10:28pm On Mar 05, 2017
Iamwrath:
Or simply beating the shyttt out of you until you tell your password

Then social engineering

lolz

Madman

Your Nairaland password or you die
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by cyber5(m): 10:29pm On Mar 05, 2017
Electronzeez:
I use conc yoruba words as password and spell it in a very wrong way .You can never guess my password except with a keylogger.

Ever heard of OLM (Online Mole)
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by AyamConfidence(m): 8:17am On Mar 06, 2017
daamazing:
AyamCo.nfidence e Yaff hit FP without calling admin o
hallelujah but I no know wetin the thread dey about na
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Electronzeez(m): 8:36am On Mar 06, 2017
cyber5:

Ever heard of OLM (Online Mole)

I wouldn't mind learning from you sir .
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 06, 2017
godwinony:

Where'd I say I created them...I just make use of them..
I don't do the dark web. Not a "tor-head".. smiley
I don't roll with script kiddies . Go and do your homework and stay of my mentions.
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by godwinony(m): 12:26pm On Mar 06, 2017
Reski:
I don't roll with script kiddies . Go and do your homework and stay of my mentions.
Which of us mentioned the other first? I mentioned you to reply to your question earlier.
You really need a lesson in mannerisms and do something about your pompous attitude, you really don't know sh*t...as if we dey compete before. Stay your lane.
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by oluwadubem: 3:37pm On Mar 06, 2017
That #1 some pple use what is close to them as there passcode,notice that when a friend give me his that is locked,I just guess abt 10things that is close to him to unlock it and I get it right,so hackers can still use that method to be going,that #3 is another stuff,if you re not scam smart you might be a victim,have notice that in several occasion,one is a g_niggah that appear as bae,when we chat up he sent me a link and told me the site is about dating stuff that I should sign up so we can hook up hard,do some nasty nude stuff,when a click on the link I study the url nd laff in ma mind bcuz they include some input where I will insert ma card details before joining them,as a good niggah I just feed them back with ma expire atm card,let them take de details and jump to amazon save shoping.....@ op thanks 4 this,what I knw is that a real hacker can take up his time hacking an account that can fetch him cash,what he will gain hacking your social_media account or any other site that you used mainly for fun....except is all you online account is all about business,then you learn how build a gud passcode...

ThankS op for this....

(#maka ndi owutee)
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by oluwadubem: 3:51pm On Mar 06, 2017
Reski:
From a security point of view. There is no password that can't be cracked. Its just the length of time required to do it it that should be considered.
For example
6e4$2&3!-5 safe combo will take very long time to crack even with a brute force attack.
amaka123 or mike1987 quite weak and easy to guess.

Hey niggah,do you think all the site require the safe combo as you said,like accepting some special character like ($&%*_-) and many of them,I think is not all the site that will accept stuff like that,but if you re using the self combo as you said tell me the site that accept that let me draw my own combo bcuz that just make a lot sense to me but the challenge which site will accept those characters,nd again I don't think that brute force attack can hack atm card if so know that 98% of 9jafolks is not safe bcuz the passcode is still range from (0-9) I don't think there is anystuff like self_combo in atm passcode.....thanks...waiting for the #feedmemore
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Nobody: 5:33pm On Mar 06, 2017
oluwadubem:

Hey niggah,do you think all the site require the safe combo as you said,like accepting some special character like ($&%*_-) and many of them,I think is not all the site that will accept stuff like that,but if you re using the self combo as you said tell me the site that accept that let me draw my own combo bcuz that just make a lot sense to me but the challenge which site will accept those characters,nd again I don't think that brute force attack can hack atm card if so know that 98% of 9jafolks is not safe bcuz the passcode is still range from (0-9) I don't think there is anystuff like self_combo in atm passcode.....thanks...waiting for the #feedmemore
Most sites would want their user's to come up something like what I wrote up there e.g yahoo. It does'nt have to be my way just make sure it is random enough and not so generic. A combination of alphabets numbers and symbols is just perfect. Most password cracking tools work with a data base of millions of passwords so the more your password is not generic the better for you.
As for Atm's the number of trials have made it difficult for any hacker to guess your password thats if you don't use your birth year as your password or your daughter's birthyear. E.g 1980 just try to be random with your choice . Except your bank or your online transaction was hacked or you were engineered into divulging your pin to someone then you should be safe.
Cheers mate.
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by daamazing(m): 6:35pm On Mar 06, 2017
oluwadubem:
That #1 some pple use what is close to them as there passcode,notice that when a friend give me his that is locked,I just guess abt 10things that is close to him to unlock it and I get it right,so hackers can still use that method to be going,that #3 is another stuff,if you re not scam smart you might be a victim,have notice that in several occasion,one is a g_niggah that appear as bae,when we chat up he sent me a link and told me the site is about dating stuff that I should sign up so we can hook up hard,do some nasty nude stuff,when a click on the link I study the url nd laff in ma mind bcuz they include some input where I will insert ma card details before joining them,as a good niggah I just feed them back with ma expire atm card,let them take de details and jump to amazon save shoping.....@ op thanks 4 this,what I knw is that a real hacker can take up his time hacking an account that can fetch him cash,what he will gain hacking your social_media account or any other site that you used mainly for fun....except is all you online account is all about business,then you learn how build a gud passcode...

ThankS op for this....

(#maka ndi owutee)
you're welcome Bro. Visit techredirector.com for more interesting tech topics!
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by oluwadubem: 7:50pm On Mar 06, 2017
Reski:
Most sites would want their user's to come up something like what I wrote up there e.g yahoo. It does'nt have to be my way just make sure it is random enough and not so generic. A combination of alphabets numbers and symbols is just perfect. Most password cracking tools work with a data base of millions of passwords so the more your password is not generic the better for you.
As for Atm's the number of trials have made it difficult for any hacker to guess your password thats if you don't use your birth year as your password or your daughter's birthyear. E.g 1980 just try to be random with your choice . Except your bank or your online transaction was hacked or you were engineered into divulging your pin to someone then you should be safe.
Cheers mate.

Thanks a lot manny,if all site can adapt that atm way of validation,atleast users are a bit secure,mayb setting the limit from (1-10) trial,doh there is some site that have login limit trial but not all....once again thanks for this,doh I 100% sure that a real hackers cannot waste his time hacking an account like mine,mayb when I have an online account that is so important to me I will apply that self combo stuff....thanks man

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Glo Gives Out N35m Benz G-Wagon To Promo Winner (Photos) / 11 Features To Look Out For When Buying Android Phones / Differentiating Original Blackberry Phone From China Ones!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.