Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,232 members, 7,811,644 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (31377 Views)

30 Days And 30 Nights (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / All In One Night (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Underlying Love (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 2:40pm On Mar 05, 2017
Everyone Falls in Love Sometimes
By
Kayode Odusanya

© 2017 Kayode Odusanya

The tables were wooden but looked golden from the way they were polished. Same with the chairs Andrew and his friend were sitting on. The air-conditioning was set for when the bar was filled to the maximum, so it was extremely cold with just 3 people in the 12 by 12 room. He held tightly unto the girl on his laps as he engaged in an argument with his friend at the table.

It was 2 in the afternoon, but the room was covered with the heavy blinds, and you couldn’t tell what time it was if you had been inside for a long time. Red light bulbs placed inside the glass floor and a chandelier of yellow light gave the room its only illumination. The place used to be a small furniture showroom, and the new owner bought the furniture along with the space.

The girl started giving him a lap-dance when a song she liked came on and it didn’t even distract him from the discussion he was having. She had her eyes closed as she moved seductively, rubbing her butt on his groin. Her black leather skirt went higher and higher, revealing a huge portion of her thick laps, which caught the eye of Andrew’s friend’s who was seated directly opposite them. Andrew smiled when he saw his friend staring. She opened her eyes and laughed when the room got quiet. She leaned back and whispered in Andrew’s ear before hopping off his lap and doing a catwalk towards the entrance.
“Dude, where do you get these girls from?” Banky, his friend leaned in to ask him. “You have a new girl with you every time we hangout.” He added.
Andrew laughed a little before answering. “I don’t know. I guess the ladies love them some Andrew.” He said and poured himself a drink from the Hennessy bottle. He was scooping up some ice-cubes for his drink as he added, “with my pot belly and all.”
“But dude, for real, you anchor weddings every weekend, but you don’t believe in love. How…”
“Love! Love never helped anyone but the two people in love.” Andrew said, cutting his friend off. He shook his drink gently before continuing. “Love is selfish. Love makes you contented with your life. How many people that changed the world were in love when they did so?” He said and waited for his friends to answer before adding, “That’s right…none. That’s because love is an unnecessarily distraction on your way to success.”
“Well, that’s your theory, I just want to know why then you do what you do?”
“I do it because I am really good at it.” He said with a smile. “ i do it because people are ready to pay me a quarter of a million Naira for it.” Just then his phone rang, and he pulled it out of his pocket with his left hand while his right hand held on to his glass cup. He stared into his phone screen and the smile on his face was replaced by a frown. And then his whole body tensed up before the glass cup in his hand was shattered by his grip and pieces of glass and ice cubes went flying in every direction.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by sirblero(m): 4:40pm On Mar 06, 2017
rife on boss.... nice story...more updates please....
#following..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 7:23pm On Mar 06, 2017
sirblero:
rife on boss....
nice story...more updates please....

#following..

Yea, I will update rapidly tomorrow.
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by sirblero(m): 11:44pm On Mar 07, 2017
kayo80:

Yea, I will update rapidly tomorrow.

#waiting patiently...
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 11:48pm On Mar 07, 2017
sirblero:

#waiting patiently...

Nepa is messing me up. No light since Sunday.
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by sirblero(m): 11:52am On Mar 08, 2017
kayo80:

Nepa is messing me up. No light since Sunday.

lol..let me go to nepa's office ..and warn them!

1 Like

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 5:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
Chapter 2

The wake keeping service was held at the school assembly hall that Andrew and Tunde attended as kids. It was close to Andrew’s house so he got there earlier than most people. He watched as people walked in dressed in black, with long faces. He recognized some of Tunde’s family members, but most of the people in the hall were unfamiliar faces. He still did't want to believe his friend was gone. And the fact that his family had deiced to bury him a week after his death was weird to him. Why were they so much in a hurry to bury him? He thought to himself. He guessed they wanted to do it as fast and as quietly as possible to avoid the possible stigma that might get attached to the family.

As people got up to sing another song from the hymn book they had all been handed when they came in, two boys appeared from the back of the stage with a big placard. When they turned it around, it had a picture of Tunde on it, with a smile on his face. Tears rolled down Andrew’s face as he quietly walked out of the hall.

He stopped just outside the hall for a couple of seconds to take a few deep breaths before walking to the back of the building, towards the school’s football field. At the end of the south west part of the high school wall was a small rusted gate. Memories came flooding back; he could remember how he and Tunde used to sneak out of school sliding underneath the gate, and a smile appeared on his face.

He pulled out a lighter and his pack of Pall Mall cigarette from his back pocket. A stick of cigarette slipped out of his fingers as he picked it out of the pack and he caught it just before it dropped to the floor. He placed it between his parted lips and flicked the lighter. With his back to the wall, he took his first drag and let out a sigh of relief as he exhaled.

It was the long school holiday and the part of the school compound he was at hadn’t been tended to in a while, so there was grass up to his ankles where he stood. Crickets made chirping noises every now and then, but got quiet any time Andrew moved around. A light went on in the upstairs apartment of the building opposite the school and Andrew turned around. A naked female silhouette from behind a curtain caught his attention. He took another drag from his stick of cigarette and focused on the figure. Just then he heard footsteps behind him and instinctively threw away the cigarette.

He turned around and saw a curvaceous lady approaching him. He didn’t know if he was more ashamed that someone caught him smoking outside a wake keeping service, or that he was seen staring at a naked lady. It was dark and all he could make out was that the person had own a black gown with a silver belt around her midsection. He wondered why she was walking towards him. And then he heard her familiar voice say, “Andrew.”
“Wow!” That was all he could say for the first few seconds as he came into view.
“Sorry I made you throw away your cigarette.” She said and smiled up at him, which was slowly replaced by a sorrowful look.
“Wow! Anita, you look…” He was saying and stopped when he saw tears roll down her eyes. He took her in his arms and she cried.
“Why? Why did he do it?” She said between sobs.

3 Likes

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 5:02pm On Apr 01, 2017
Hmm!
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by EvaJael(f): 5:50pm On Apr 01, 2017
Please continue sir...am with u

1 Like

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 6:15pm On Apr 01, 2017
EvaJael:
Please continue sir...am with u

I am out now...I will post around 11pm.
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by EvaJael(f): 7:19pm On Apr 01, 2017
kayo80:

I am out now...I will post around 11pm.
No wahala
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kevwe10(f): 9:45pm On Apr 01, 2017
nice one kayo

1 Like

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:03pm On Apr 01, 2017
kevwe10:
nice one kayo

Thank you.
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 5:34pm On Apr 02, 2017
Chapter 3

An awkward silence lingered in the air on the drive to her place. He had remembered seeing her wedding pictures on Facebook a couple of years back, but he hadn’t kept in touch with her for years now. She had been Tunde’s only other friend back in school. They had even dated at some point, but their relationship had ended as abruptly as it started, and they remained good friends afterwards.

He had gotten close to her in their final year at the University when the hostels were closed, and everyone had to come from home. He already had a car back then and the three of them would ride back home in his car, sometimes with a couple of their other friends. He usually dropped Anita off last as her house was closer to his.

“Should I reduce the Air Conditioner?” He asked, with his hand on the AC controller on the car dashboard when he saw her body shake.
“Umm! Maybe a little bit.” She said and laughed.

The inside of the Lexus ES 300 got quiet again. They had talked a little about general things before leaving the wake keeping venue, but it just felt strange having chit chat when their friend had killed himself just a week ago.

“Oops! You missed the turning.” She said and Andrew slowed down the car. “I’m sorry. I was totally lost in thought.” She added.
“It’s okay.” He said as he looked into the rear view mirror. There were no cars approaching, so he quickly reversed the Lexus.
“You can park under that coconut tree.” She said as he drove into the street.
“Oh, I didn’t know this was where we were headed.” Andrew said as he brought the car to a halt.
“I’m staying at my parents’ for now.”
“Okay.” He said and turned off the engine.
“Thanks for the ride. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said and got out of the car. He did the same.
He leaned on the roof of the car and smiled at her.
“What?” She said, with raised eyebrows.
“You used to be super skinny.”
“Oh! Yea, people say I changed a lot.” She said and leaned on the tree. “What about you. You…”
“I’ve always been big Anita.”
“No. You were just tall and a bit chubby. Now you look like Fat Joe.” She said and Andrew laughed.
“Actually, Fat Joe has lost weight.” He said between laughs.
‘Okay. You look like the old Fat Joe.” She said and Andrew laughed some more.
There was silence but neither of them moved. Anita was leaning on the tree and Andrew was leaning on the car’s top.

“It’s been what? 9 years?” Andrew said, breaking the silence.
“Actually, 11 years.”
“Wow! Time sure does fly.”
“Yup!” She said and got off the tree. “See you tomorrow Andrew.” She said and headed towards the yellow painted building with no fence.
“I’ll pick you up at…9 am?”
“Okay.” She responded without turning around.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Geonigga(m): 7:02am On Apr 03, 2017
Is too early.
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by ginajet(f): 7:02am On Apr 03, 2017
If Efe is selling 'real', Bisola 'talent', TBoss 'boss Lady', Debie 'DeRisersWorld', wetin Marvis go sell for #GrandFinale? Eba?.......... SMS Vote TBoss to 32052 or download wechat and Vote TBoss.. Give her all your 100 wechat votes oooo

1 Like

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by ichommy(m): 7:02am On Apr 03, 2017
Okay

1 Like

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by darea18: 7:03am On Apr 03, 2017
Cool
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 7:03am On Apr 03, 2017
Nice one
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Divay22(f): 7:04am On Apr 03, 2017
Isokay
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by jazinogold(m): 7:05am On Apr 03, 2017
j
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by edidiongmichael(m): 7:05am On Apr 03, 2017
grin

1 Like

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by jullty: 7:07am On Apr 03, 2017
Interesting. I will havead

1 Like

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by northvietnam(m): 7:16am On Apr 03, 2017
Love is for the weak

1 Like

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by ALAYORMII: 7:24am On Apr 03, 2017
Everybody plays the fool
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by mattyboy007(m): 7:43am On Apr 03, 2017
northvietnam:
Love is for the weak
Are u fucking kidding me? angry
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by jeeqaa7(m): 7:55am On Apr 03, 2017
Ok
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Kpeshi10(m): 8:01am On Apr 03, 2017
grin
Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 03, 2017
*grabs his cone of pop corn* Following

1 Like

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by visagroup: 8:11am On Apr 03, 2017
sirblero:
rife on boss....
nice story...more updates please....

#following..

waiting curiously

1 Like

Re: Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by YINKS89(m): 8:40am On Apr 03, 2017
Kom ND continue ooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Eothen-Our losses / A Bolt From The Blue (18+) / Inheritance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.