Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,072 members, 7,814,702 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? (23030 Views)

Enugu Workers Receive 13th Month Salary / How I Lost My Dream Job Without Collecting 1 Month Salary - Meme Collection / Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by Respect55(m): 10:31pm On Mar 05, 2017
234GT:

Yes sha. But God has answers for everybody. God has plans for everybody, and His plans for you will unfold sooner than later IJN!
Amen!
I appreciate
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by Gfish: 10:33pm On Mar 05, 2017
Discuss this with your new employer. Show the desire to join them immediately but the need to properlly teminate your contract with your present employer. They should assist in making it swift and seamless. Goodluck
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by Respect55(m): 10:33pm On Mar 05, 2017
steppin:

You haven't even asked how much he's paid.
I can even work for free till dey decide to be paying me
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by Chpstcks(m): 10:42pm On Mar 05, 2017
hiremyminivan:
I need to advice someone very close to me.

This is the gist of the story!

I got paid last month's salary on the last day of the month.

Now 5 days into the new month, I got an better offer (read that to mean, I have been interviewed and chosen by a new place before this)

Am getting a letter of appointment tomorrow.

How do I close the chapter at the former place of employment neatly?

By returning last month's salary or by working for the next 30 day's free or just walking away? Is there any other option?

What is the position of the law?

Thanks for your input

Proceed on vacation and hand in your resignation on the 1st day of your vacation.
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by loomer: 10:44pm On Mar 05, 2017
Just tell them say u wan pack ur load go village, city don tire u
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by GreatEngineer(m): 10:50pm On Mar 05, 2017
First of all, you are not returning the whole one month salary, you are only returning the basic salary which should be like half of the whole salary or there about.
My advice, don't walk away, return the one month basic and go in peace.

You can never tell what tomorrow will bring.

Speaking from experience.

2 Likes

Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by ndcide(m): 10:54pm On Mar 05, 2017
An employer that can fire you at any point and refuse to pay you, don't deserve any month notice. Handover and move on.

2 Likes

Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by sekem: 10:59pm On Mar 05, 2017
hiremyminivan:

Now 5 days into the new month, I got an better offer (read that to mean, I have been interviewed and chosen by a new place before this)

By returning last month's salary or by working for the next 30 day's free or just walking away? Is there any other option?

Thanks for your input

But when will all these Nigerians finally learn that "I am" is not the same thing as "Am" ? lipsrsealed
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by lonelydora: 10:59pm On Mar 05, 2017
sholatech:
It depends entirely on your employment letter. What is stated under resignation/Termination? If none, then you are a free bird. If however they require you to provide one month notice or pay 'in lieu', then you can request new employer if you can resume in April or you pay your current employer 1-month salary

Best advice
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by einsteinn(m): 11:00pm On Mar 05, 2017
bear in most that the one month pay expected from u if stated on ur employment letter is mostly ur basic which is usually less than ur month salary...say ur salary is #100k,ur basic could b 35k n thats wat ur expected to pay 'in lieu of'...jus check ur employment letter
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by solomedoh: 11:00pm On Mar 05, 2017
Check your employment termination clause on your appointment letter. Even if you give one month notice they will also pay you that month salary.
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by gbagyiza: 11:01pm On Mar 05, 2017
It actually depend on d content of your employment letter..If your letter indicated that you give a month notice or payment of a month salary , then you have this options...... 1. If u have informed your new employer during d interview that u need a month period b4 u resume, then u can consider given a month notice before leaving if u dont have any financial bond or anything that d organization might us against u.......2. If you r expected to resume immediately in your new office, then pay them a month salary b4 leaving....d implication of not sticking to dis agreement if captured in your employment letter is that d organization may take a legal action against u in other to destroy your career or give a bad report against u when any organization reference your former employer....

2 Likes

Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by leksonltd: 11:01pm On Mar 05, 2017
It depends on your agreement when you were employed. First, were you given a letter of appointment? If yes, what were the terms of service? What did you agree on termination of appointment and resignation. If it was in black and white that you will be given a month notice before your appointment is terminated, then you also give a month notice before resignation or pay a month basic salary. Think am clear on this. Congratulations
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by hiremyminivan: 11:15pm On Mar 05, 2017
sekem:

But when will all these Nigerians finally learn that "I am" is not the same thing as "Am" ? lipsrsealed

Lol!

I know the right thing.

Sha...Can never show up in a formal write-up.

Like I said, it is reported speech
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by owiko(m): 11:29pm On Mar 05, 2017
Op before you resign from your current job you are supposed to give your employer a one month notice, or you forfeit a month salary in lieu of notice. Failure to do so your employer has the constitutional right to carry out a legal action against you
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by Daddyboy012: 11:40pm On Mar 05, 2017
pierrenwob:
I assume it is stipulated on your letter "one month notice or 1 month pay in lieu of notice". In which case it is legally acceptable to resign with immediate effect and pay them 1 month. However if you are working on a project or handling key responsibilities, you may want to give 1 month notice so as to handover properly and maintain good reputation/ relationship.

Please note that when you give 1 month notice and work for that one month, you current employer will pay you your full salary for that month. You will not be working for free.

Working away is not an option.

If you need to resume earlier than 1 month, you should give them notice with the number of days you can afford to and pay for the remaining days with cash.

Some companies may accept any remaining leave entitlement as part of your notice and you pay or work the rest off.
OK
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by JosephCudjoe(m): 11:42pm On Mar 05, 2017
sholatech:
It depends entirely on your employment letter. What is stated under resignation/Termination? If none, then you are a free bird. If however they require you to provide one month notice or pay 'in lieu', then you can request new employer if you can resume in April or you pay your current employer 1-month salary

What if the appointment letter was not signed by d employee..lyk me am in d same shoes of d OP..just dat i am yet to sign d appointment letter which i was meant to sign and i am now in d 2nd month out of d 6mnths of probation...i will love 2 hear opinions to dz regards
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by JosephCudjoe(m): 11:43pm On Mar 05, 2017
Daddyboy012:
OK
Daddyboy pls check my post dat quoted sholartech
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by Hadone(m): 12:01am On Mar 06, 2017
sportcage:
Facebook page available for sale with over 10,000 Likes.. For page link, check my signature or cuall 08065100757
N10,000 and I believe I MUST be the highest bidder
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by BlessSammy(m): 1:02am On Mar 06, 2017
It's Civil service rule bro.. ..one month notice or one month's salary in leu of d notice.. ..I'll say sacrifice ur salary for d month n resume at ur new place
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by chachabae(f): 1:46am On Mar 06, 2017
Oriflame Cosmetics in Nigeria are looking for
serious minded people who are ready to
distribute their products. They will register and
serve as their Consultant in all the state of
Nigeria. Benefits attached are limitless.
Qualification not necessary because periodic
online training will be given. We will support and
guide you all through when you register.
www.oriflame.com.ng For more information, call/
whatsapp 08037749796.
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by Nobody: 2:32am On Mar 06, 2017
hiremyminivan:

Thanks for your input

Hi,

What does your employment letter and/or your company handbook say? How long have you worked for the company?

Advising you will be a guesswork if you don't answer the above. Just let me know and I'll tell you the length of notice/salary in lieu required.

Cheers.
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by babsp2013: 3:25am On Mar 06, 2017
Submit resignation letter with a smile wink
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by coolsegun2002: 3:44am On Mar 06, 2017
hiremyminivan:

Thanks for your input

Don't go and tell your new employer u need another 30days. It may be risky.
Some employer may see it as a good thing, that u will do the same to them when u wanna leave. on the other hand you could loose the position to someone else cos someone was dropped just to pick you belive me when I say the person is just a call away.

This is how it works in reality, people resign in different ways, some even send their resignation via a family or friend, They never show up. Its not like you have to pay the cash with your resignation letter immediately
Most of the time ur new employer dont give a damn about ur former place. So in order for u not to loose ur new place.

Resign formally with a letter effective immediately. Go and resume in your new place, your old employer is at ur mercy now. Infact they don't expect you to pay immediately u can pay it as u like. I paid mine 4 times via bank draft and I started paying 3months after I left. But I made sure I paid all to the last kobo becos I need their reference for any new job I'm going take in the future.

IF u work in a place where they quickly approve leave. Take a two weeks leave immediately and resign on the day your leave starts, this will cut wateva u are suppose to pay as in-lieu into two.

Good luck

2 Likes

Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by Toks2008(m): 3:48am On Mar 06, 2017
hiremyminivan:

Thanks for your input

This your post get as e be cos I don't see any reason for bothering us about a simple situation.

Why return a salary for the month you have worked for cos you found a new job?
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by monabass: 3:49am On Mar 06, 2017
davodguy:

Just say, its about you

Anyway its simple.

If at the new job, you're told you can resume 1/4/17. Tender your resignation letter first thing tomorrow, to give them 1 month notice ahead, hence you get your salary for March, 2017.

But if you have to resume before 1/4/17, then return February's salary back to them and move on

Hey bro, it doesnt quite sound ideal to me. why will he have to return the salary for February? He actually worked for the entire month hence his reward.
Will appreciate further clarification

1 Like

Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by Toks2008(m): 3:52am On Mar 06, 2017
owiko:
Op before you resign from your current job you are supposed to give your employer a one month notice, or you forfeit a month salary in lieu of notice. Failure to do so your employer has the constitutional right to carry out a legal action against you

Oh so this is the wahala. ..

Then he should return the salary if he sees more prospect in the new job but if he tries to stall the new job,he may end up losing both.
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by coolsegun2002: 3:57am On Mar 06, 2017
monabass:

Hey bro, it doesnt quite sound ideal to me. why will he have to return the salary for February? He actually worked for the entire month hence his reward.
Will appreciate further clarification
You are obviously a chairman and have never worked for private companies before. What most company rule say is u need to let them know you are leaving 30 days before you actually walk away so they can have enuf time to replace you.

So if you resign suddenly, you must pay for that suddenly with an equivalent of 30days worth of pay. Some company takes basic salary, some company takes a full month salary package

1 Like

Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by Nobody: 4:04am On Mar 06, 2017
Don't burn bridges behind your back.

1 Like

Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by hiremyminivan: 4:25am On Mar 06, 2017
This is not my story

I will get the exact words on the employment letter of my sibling and provide the details later.

I will respond to every post seeking clarification when I do

Thanks for your comments so far, he has the link and has started reading he says, but is yet to provide me with the exact words in his employment letter nor what the employee manual says, so until then I have to reserve my comments.

Thank you all
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by linearity: 5:41am On Mar 06, 2017
Tazdroid:
Firstly, congrats on your new job

Secondly, it's not up to the law but the terms of your contract of employment. If none, then the law takes effect which is a month's notice or payment in lieu of notice (that is you pay your basic salary in order to leave immediately)

Thirdly, my candid advice is that you issue your letter of resignation and work for a month. It may seem strange but it depicts a form of respect for your former employer, not leaving in the blink of an eye. Your new employer would be astounded that opting to stay shows that you respect your boss well enough to give 'em time to find a replacement

Payment in lieu of notice is, if your employer wants to sack you without giving you the usual one month notice.

Payment in lieu of notice is not applicable to the employee, if you do not like the job, you can opt out anytime any day and you don't pay the employer as salary back, except loans and other unearned income & benefits already given to you...your last month salary was earned and can't be returned to your employer even if you walk off on payday so long as payday is on or after the last day of that month's salary being collected.
Re: One Month's Notice Or One Month's Salary? by dapotemi: 6:17am On Mar 06, 2017
coolsegun2002:

Don't go and tell your new employer u need another 30days. It may be risky.
Some employer may see it as a good thing, that u will do the same to them when u wanna leave. on the other hand you could loose the position to someone else cos someone was dropped just to pick you belive me when I say the person is just a call away.

Best advice. This is reality , others are moral!!!

This is how it works in reality, people resign in different ways, some even send their resignation via a family or friend, They never show up. Its not like you have to pay the cash with your resignation letter immediately
Most of the time ur new employer dont give a damn about ur former place. So in order for u not to loose ur new place.

Resign formally with a letter effective immediately. Go and resume in your new place, your old employer is at ur mercy now. Infact they don't expect you to pay immediately u can pay it as u like. I paid mine 4 times via bank draft and I started paying 3months after I left. But I made sure I paid all to the last kobo becos I need their reference for any new job I'm going take in the future.

IF u work in a place where they quickly approve leave. Take a two weeks leave immediately and resign on the day your leave starts, this will cut wateva u are suppose to pay as in-lieu into two.

Good luck

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Ikpeazu Honours Clement Chidinma, Female Mechanic. Photos / Jobs That Will Make You Appreciate Your Job (Pictures) / Professional Nurse Examination?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.