Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (116) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (494179 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Teshoma1111: 12:56pm On Nov 27, 2019
Hello house..

I have travelled and back.

POE experience. My destination was Maryland.
Arrived at IAD Airport. Washington Dulles
Queue was minimal as it was just our flight that landed at the time.
Questions asked- my destination, how long I would be staying, what I do as well. Asked if I had a ticket for my onward destination, I mentioned I was going to do a bit of sight seeing in Washington DC for about 2days and then purchase an onward ticket to my destination.
Wasn't up to 5mins, and I was stamped in for 6months.

Note that: destination filled on my DS160 was Indianapolis, but my family friends were not going to be around as at my time of visit, so I had to change destination and there was no issue with it.

6 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:08am On Nov 28, 2019
victor101:

Around 15 to 20th Jan 2020

Kindly send a PM.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:09am On Nov 28, 2019
Teshoma1111:
Hello house..

Questions asked- my destination, how long I would be staying, what I do as well. Asked if I had a ticket for my onward destination, I mentioned I was going to do a bit of sight seeing in Washington DC for about 2days and then purchase an onward ticket to my destination.

Note that: destination filled on my DS160 was Indianapolis, but my family friends were not going to be around as at my time of visit, so I had to change destination and there was no issue with it.

Nice one... How was the trip generally?

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Teshoma1111: 12:26pm On Nov 28, 2019
It was very fine. Thank you

seyewest:

Nice one... How was the trip generally?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by victor101(m): 4:13pm On Nov 28, 2019
seyewest:

Kindly send a PM.

PM sent
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Madlov3: 4:28pm On Nov 28, 2019
Teshoma1111:
Hello house..

Really? A different location from your DS 160? Is it your first time using it after issue?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 4:38pm On Nov 28, 2019
Madlov3:
Really? A different location from your DS 160? Is it your first time using it after issue?

No problem if it was a tourist visa... not Business visa.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:05pm On Nov 28, 2019
victor101:

PM sent

ok
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Madlov3: 5:22pm On Nov 28, 2019
seyewest:

No problem if it was a tourist visa... not Business visa.
I doubt if US still gives B1 visa solely! It’s now B1/B2 combined. I stand to be corrected please
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:26pm On Nov 28, 2019
Madlov3:
I doubt if US still gives B1 visa solely! It’s now B1/B2 combined. I stand to be corrected please

Yes it's B1/B2 but if you apply for Business visa you must fulfilled that obligation first before using the visa for tourism.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Madlov3: 5:31pm On Nov 28, 2019
seyewest:

Yes it's B1/B2 but if you apply for Business visa you must fulfilled that obligation first before using the visa for tourism.
now i get.Thanks!
And fulfilling that obligation must it be at the date stated on the form? Can you do the business trip on a later date due to busy schedules ?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Purplestorm: 8:53pm On Nov 28, 2019
I don't know if anyone has had to stay in US for 5 months and travelled again, what was the experience at the POE?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by OmoBendel24: 10:40pm On Nov 28, 2019
Madlov3:
now i get.Thanks!
And fulfilling that obligation must it be at the date stated on the form? Can you do the business trip on a later date due to busy schedules ?

Not necessarily on the date, but stick to purpose on first use of the visa at the least. Yes, you can also do the B part of your question, still in sync.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by OmoBendel24: 10:42pm On Nov 28, 2019
Purplestorm:
I don't know if anyone has had to stay in US for 5 months and travelled again, what was the experience at the POE?

What was the reason for such long stay? If not solid, it could generate issues at the POE surely. But for renewal, that mostly will be a regrettable thing to have ever done.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Spanishmilf(m): 12:40am On Nov 29, 2019
OmoBendel24:

What was the reason for such long stay? If not solid, it could generate issues at the POE surely. But for renewal, that mostly will be a regrettable thing to have ever done.
Why did you abandon the other thread??
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Purplestorm: 2:58am On Nov 29, 2019
Thanks for your response, it was sickness. Anyway it is definitely not a do or die affair.
OmoBendel24:

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by mrprolifik: 7:42am On Nov 29, 2019
Purplestorm:
If you are travelling with. the same visa after staying for 5 months ( assuming you were stamped in for 6 months at the port of entry) then it's best that you were out of the USA for at least 180 days ( 6 months) before travelling again else you might be turned back. But if you intend applying for a new visa before travelling then you might be questioned by the VO about your last stay of 5months and why it was so long. Though that depends on what you filled in your Ds160 form when you applied for the visa and how long you planned on staying for that visit.
I know about the 180 days rule cos I saw it happened to a young lady with italian passport on my trip to los Angeles last year at the port of entry she was grilled seriously and warned that next time if she doesn't stay out for 6months before visiting the USA again she would be denied entry.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 8:49am On Nov 29, 2019
Madlov3:
now i get.Thanks!

Not necessarily but you must use that visa for business first. (Conference,Seminar etc)

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 8:50am On Nov 29, 2019
OmoBendel24:

Not necessarily on the date, but stick to purpose on first use of the visa at the least. Yes, you can also do the B part of your question, still in sync.
Finally Bro... nawa oooo you can't just leave me like this now.... Happy to see you, how're you? hope all is well?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Purplestorm: 10:21am On Nov 29, 2019
Thank you so much

mrprolifik:

If you are travelling with. the same visa after staying for 5 months ( assuming you were stamped in for 6 months at the port of entry) then it's best that you were out of the USA for at least 180 days ( 6 months) before travelling again else you might be turned back. But if you intend applying for a new visa before travelling then you might be questioned by the VO about your last stay of 5months and why it was so long. Though that depends on what you filled in your Ds160 form when you applied for the visa and how long you planned on staying for that visit.
I know about the 180 days rule cos I saw it happened to a young lady with italian passport on my trip to los Angeles last year at the port of entry she was grilled seriously and warned that next time if she doesn't stay out for 6months before visiting the USA again she would be denied entry.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by OmoBendel24: 12:06pm On Nov 29, 2019
seyewest:

Finally Bro... nawa oooo you can't just leave me like this now.... Happy to see you, how're you? hope all is well?

You na my guy na! I'm doing great, all is well. Just somewhat not having sufficient time at hand to spare lately, will be done soon.

Trust you are doing great bruv.... One love, always!

Spanishmilf:
Why did you abandon the other thread??

Abandon ke? That thread is home for me na. But I'm owing a lot of pages, don't want to jump in in the middle of nowhere, will do my catchup pretty soon and be part of it as usual.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:48pm On Nov 29, 2019
OmoBendel24:

You na my guy na! I'm doing great, all is well. Just somewhat not having sufficient time at hand to spare lately, will be done soon.

Trust you are doing great bruv.... One love, always!

Abandon ke? That thread is home for me na. But I'm owing a lot of pages, don't want to jump in in the middle of nowhere, will do my catchup pretty soon and be part of it as usual.

Correct guy
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by wiseman77: 1:30pm On Dec 02, 2019
Hello house. I heard that one will need Transit Visa if your ticket has a stopover in Paris. How true is this please. I observed that Air France and KLM usually have stopover in Paris.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by OmoBendel24: 2:15pm On Dec 02, 2019
wiseman77:
Hello house. I heard that one will need Transit Visa if your ticket has a stopover in Paris. How true is this please. I observed that Air France and KLM usually have stopover in Paris.

Not correct if you are a Nigeria Passport holder, have a US visa and are headed to the the US on transit via one schengen airport only. You will only have problem if your transit is say in Paris and in Amsterdam also on one of the legs of the trip, that will be transiting two schengen countries, it won’t work to the best of my knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by wiseman77: 3:50pm On Dec 02, 2019
OmoBendel24:

Not correct if you are a Nigeria Passport holder, have a US visa and are headed to the the US on transit via one schengen airport only. You will only have problem if your transit is say in Paris and in Amsterdam also on one of the legs of the trip, that will be transiting two schengen countries, it won’t work to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks for the response bro. My Google search also showed that transit visa is not needed except one is transiting in two Schengen countries. However, I asked wakanow and I was told I would need a transit visa. I guess I will just avoid anything that has to do with Schengen countries so as to avoid stories.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by fkj950ax(m): 4:43pm On Dec 02, 2019
wiseman77:

A layover typically refers to a connection point between cities, sometimes as short as 30 minutes or as long as 23 hours, whereas a stopover refers to staying longer than 24 hours in any given city when traveling internationally (on domestic itineraries, the limit is reduced to four hours.
If you have a stopover in Paris and want to exit the airport into the city, I believe you will need the Schengen. But if you choose to remain in the airport all through, you do not need it. If you have a layover (most Nigerian passengers and travel agents call this stopover), then you don't need a Schengen visa.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by OmoBendel24: 5:24pm On Dec 02, 2019
wiseman77:

Thanks for the response bro. My Google search also showed that transit visa is not needed except one is transiting in two Schengen countries. However, I asked wakanow and I was told I would need a transit visa. I guess I will just avoid anything that has to do with Schengen countries so as to avoid stories.

Wow! Why will they tell you that? Or is it the type of ticket that requires you changing airport in Paris, maybe CDG to ORLY or something? As long as you are not changing airports, no wahala. I think I had a technical stop from DXB at Milan Malpensa enroute JFK earlier in the year sef, all that happened was just one airside check like that and we were back in the plane without ish. But trust me, if the price is right and you are not required to change airport in the schengen zone, you don't need no transit visa, you will be just fine. Go ahead please!

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by DAVEZONIGLTD: 5:52pm On Dec 02, 2019
Soon.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by wiseman77: 7:00pm On Dec 02, 2019
fkj950ax:

A layover typically refers to a connection point between cities, sometimes as short as 30 minutes or as long as 23 hours, whereas a stopover refers to staying longer than 24 hours in any given city when traveling internationally (on domestic itineraries, the limit is reduced to four hours.
If you have a stopover in Paris and want to exit the airport into the city, I believe you will need the Schengen. But if you choose to remain in the airport all through, you do not need it. If you have a layover (most Nigerian passengers and travel agents call this stopover), then you don't need a Schengen visa.

Whao!!! This is quite informative. I never knew there was a difference. That means it's a layover that I'm talking about. Maybe the wakanow customer care misunderstood me too. Thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by wiseman77: 7:17pm On Dec 02, 2019
OmoBendel24:

Wow! Why will they tell you that? Or is it the type of ticket that requires you changing airport in Paris, maybe CDG to ORLY or something? As long as you are not changing airports, no wahala. I think I had a technical stop from DXB at Milan Malpensa enroute JFK earlier in the year sef, all that happened was just one airside check like that and we were back in the plane without ish. But trust me, if the price is right and you are not required to change airport in the schengen zone, you don't need no transit visa, you will be just fine. Go ahead please!

Thanks so much. It's the same airport as shown in the picture.

Pls does it matter if I buy a one-way or return ticket? It's an immigrant visa. The return ticket is cheaper.

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:23pm On Dec 02, 2019
OmoBendel24:

True....
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:26pm On Dec 02, 2019
wiseman77:

Thanks so much. It's the same airport as shown in the picture.

Pls does it matter if I buy a one-way or return ticket? It's an immigrant visa. The return ticket is cheaper.

You don't need a visa but I believe you can get a cheaper fare to Atlanta with Emirates, Qatar and even BA.

(1) (2) (3) ... (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.