Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,559 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (493701 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 4:02pm On Jan 03, 2023
Spanishmilf:
I will type my story here one day
Amen

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by bigbus: 9:51am On Jan 16, 2023
Hi all,
Happy New Year.

Can one take dried bitter leaf to the US?

Thank you.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:50am On Jan 16, 2023
bigbus:
Hi all,
Happy New Year.

Can one take dried bitter leaf to the US?

Thank you.

Yes and depending on where your Point of Entry is.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by bigbus: 6:17pm On Jan 18, 2023
seyewest:

Yes and depending on where your Point of Entry is.

Thanks.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by bigbus: 6:24pm On Jan 18, 2023
One POE experience last year.

@Dulles (IAD). Usual question of what I was here for. Usual answer of visiting friends.

The POE officer did not stamp my passport, so I asked him about it and he said it's fine.

And that was that. (First and only time entry was not stamped for me.)
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jan 18, 2023
bigbus:
One POE experience last year.

@Dulles (IAD). Usual question of what I was here for. Usual answer of visiting friends.

The POE officer did not stamp my passport, so I asked him about it and he said it's fine.

And that was that. (First and only time entry was not stamped for me.)

Yeah, they (if not all) don't stamp your passport again. You can get your i94 https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search a few days later, it will show the dates you entered and left the us
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Vigorousguy(m): 5:52pm On Jan 19, 2023
Pls who has used Qatar Airways to Philadelphia. Any advice or information in regards to the trip. Thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by tshtsh: 1:17am On Jan 23, 2023
In February 2020 I arrived New york JFK airport for a five day visit. I used the self service kiosk and it printed a receipt with a black "X". The CBP officer (black american) asked me about my trip and stamped me in after biometric verification (finger printing).Before this she asked me about my trip to USA in 2019 which I denied. I insisted that I did not visit USA in 2019 rather I visited Miami for 7 days in september 2018 and stayed at a hotel in South beach. Afterwards she closed her booth and asked me to follow her. She asked how many checked in luggage I had and I responded that I had one. She joined me to the baggage belt and I got my suitcase. I followed her to a section of the arrival hall where her colleague removed everything in in my bag and scanned the bag. Used a handheld drill to drill a hole on some section of my box. Afterward they took me to a room and searched me before asking me about the purpose of my trip and where I stayed when I visited USA in 2018. They returned my passport to me and jokingly asked me if I had ever gone through this search before lol. I told them No. I left and spent 2 days in new york then 3 days in baltimore before returning to naija.

In May 2022 I arrived USA (Detroit) and when asked the purpose of my trip I told the CBP officer that I was going to Canada. She asked if I was driving to Canada from Detroit and I told her I was going by air from detroit to Toronto. She stamped me in and I sent a few hours in detroit before heading out to Toronto.

Last week I arrived Toronto from Lagos (via cairo egypt air) at 7:15am. Went into the city and returned to the airport at 1pm for a flight to Chicago. There are US CBP staff situated at Toronto pearson airport. The CBP officer (black american) asked me why I was going to USA and I told her I was going to visit my cousin in Chicago. She verified my fingerprint , closed her booth and told me to follow her. We got to the secondary inspection room and she took my passport inside while I sat down. Her colleague later returned with my passport and asked me about my trip and requested that I list out all countries I've been to in the last 3 years. I told him and he asked if that was all. I insisted then he asked about my trip to egypt. I told him I only used egypt air to toronto and transited through Cairo airport for three hours. He then asked about my trip to chicago and if I had any checked-in luggage. I had just a school bag. He checked my boarding pass and wished me a safe journey after returning my passport to me.

I don't know why I had to go through this. I spent only 3 days in chicago (jan 15 - 18) and left USA on wednesday. Surprisingly in both cases they admitted me in for 6 months before directing me to secondary inspection. Thinking of even writing to them because as polite as this whole thing is it makes me feel uncomfortable travelling to USA. Most times I travel to USA I spend less than a week and it seems to be raising a red flag.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by flourishing247: 8:27am On Jan 23, 2023
tshtsh:
In February 2020 I arrived New york JFK airport for a five day visit. I used the self service kiosk and it printed a receipt with a black "X". The CBP officer (black american) asked me about my trip and stamped me in after biometric verification (finger printing)I

It could be your frequent travel with short stay. I don't you should write them though. It can be embarrassing but as long as you are in the clear. That's just fine.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by fkj950ax(m): 2:43pm On Jan 23, 2023
tshtsh:
In February.

Your travel pattern (to them) fits that of couriers (drugs or cash) and a previous CBP officer has probably made a note on the system to have you watched or inspected every time you are at any US port of entry.
Frequently taking short trips to various locations with carry-on luggages only.
Even asking if you have been searched this way before is an indicator they (or one of them before), had suspected you being a courier. They only drill if they suspect you are concealing items in your suitcase.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Spanishmilf(m): 5:07pm On Jan 23, 2023
tshtsh:
In February.
Mehn u get money oooh

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by tshtsh: 5:34pm On Jan 23, 2023
fkj950ax:

Your travel pattern (to them) fits that of couriers (drugs or cash) and a previous CBP officer has probably made a note on the system to have you watched or inspected every time you are at any US port of entry.
Frequently taking short trips to various locations with carry-on luggages only.
Even asking if you have been searched this way before is an indicator they (or one of them before), had suspected you being a courier. They only drill if they suspect you are concealing items in your suitcase.
Somehow I feel there is some level of discrimination to this. If I go on a 2 month visit they'll ask me how I intend to fund my stay without working or search for signs that I'll overstay. I go for my short trips as a busy person and they search for signs of money/drug trafficking. This last time I visited I had $0 on me . Just my bank cards. They didn't even ask me about my finances, address or even verify if I was actually going to visit who I claimed I was going to visit. I also thought they did all this to determine admissibility ? Looks like they admit the passenger in first and then do secondary inspection there after. Those guys get rewarded for catching drug couriers and they think a software engineer (trained in one of their universities) with a job and some level of comfort will risk it all by working as a drug courier. The way they think of black people still baffles me.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by fkj950ax(m): 9:12pm On Jan 23, 2023
tshtsh:

Ld my stay without working or search for signs that I'll.

Either an overzealous CBP staff made a note and everyone else is paying attention to the note.
Next time you are at CBP, I think you should ask to speak to a supervisor to understand why the constant scrutiny and you’d like to have anything they are looking for clarified and your profile left alone.

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by tshtsh: 10:23pm On Jan 23, 2023
fkj950ax:

Either an overzealous CBP staff made a note and everyone else is paying attention to the note.
Next time you are at CBP, I think you should ask to speak to a supervisor to understand why the constant scrutiny and you’d like to have anything they are looking for clarified and your profile left alone.
Many thanks I’ll do .
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 12:16pm On Jan 26, 2023
tshtsh:
In February 2020 I arrived New york JFK airport for a five day visit. I used the self service kiosk and it printed a receipt with a black "X". The CBP officer (black american) asked me about my trip and stamped me in after biometric verification (finger printing).Before this she asked me about my trip to USA in 2019 which I denied. I insisted that I did not visit USA in 2019 rather I visited Miami for 7 days in september 2018 and stayed at a hotel in South beach. Afterwards she closed her booth and asked me to follow her. She asked how many checked in luggage I had and I responded that I had one. She joined me to the baggage belt and I got my suitcase. I followed her to a section of the arrival hall where her colleague removed everything in in my bag and scanned the bag. Used a handheld drill to drill a hole on some section of my box. Afterward they took me to a room and searched me before asking me about the purpose of my trip and where I stayed when I visited USA in 2018. They returned my passport to me and jokingly asked me if I had ever gone through this search before lol. I told them No. I left and spent 2 days in new york then 3 days in baltimore before returning to naija.

In May 2022 I arrived USA (Detroit) and when asked the purpose of my trip I told the CBP officer that I was going to Canada. She asked if I was driving to Canada from Detroit and I told her I was going by air from detroit to Toronto. She stamped me in and I sent a few hours in detroit before heading out to Toronto.

Last week I arrived Toronto from Lagos (via cairo egypt air) at 7:15am. Went into the city and returned to the airport at 1pm for a flight to Chicago. There are US CBP staff situated at Toronto pearson airport. The CBP officer (black american) asked me why I was going to USA and I told her I was going to visit my cousin in Chicago. She verified my fingerprint , closed her booth and told me to follow her. We got to the secondary inspection room and she took my passport inside while I sat down. Her colleague later returned with my passport and asked me about my trip and requested that I list out all countries I've been to in the last 3 years. I told him and he asked if that was all. I insisted then he asked about my trip to egypt. I told him I only used egypt air to toronto and transited through Cairo airport for three hours. He then asked about my trip to chicago and if I had any checked-in luggage. I had just a school bag. He checked my boarding pass and wished me a safe journey after returning my passport to me.

I don't know why I had to go through this. I spent only 3 days in chicago (jan 15 - 18) and left USA on wednesday. Surprisingly in both cases they admitted me in for 6 months before directing me to secondary inspection. Thinking of even writing to them because as polite as this whole thing is it makes me feel uncomfortable travelling to USA. Most times I travel to USA I spend less than a week and it seems to be raising a red flag.

Your name was flagged, I mean the system flagged your name, there's possibility that your name matched a name and description they're looking for. You should write and complain about the routine secondary inspection even though, admitting you into U.S is at the pleasure of CBP.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by SimiMaya: 3:09am On Jan 28, 2023
Hi all

So just looking for some advise to save costs. I am trying to book my return flight back to Nigeria, wondering if I must buy a seat so I can use a car seat for my baby or I can just take a gamble and board with hopes of finding an empty seat. These tickets are so pricey.

What would you advise?

SimiMaya:
Soooo, I successfully entered via Dallas PoE today. They didn’t ask but I willingly divulged that I was also going to have my baby. They took me to secondary inspection and the guy just asked for paperwork with the Dallas doctor and mode of payment. Showed him the paperwork and confirmed I’ll be paying with my credit card. He gave me back my passport and I was granted entry for 6 months. So glad!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by flourishing247: 7:19am On Jan 28, 2023
SimiMaya:

Hi all

So just looking for some advise to save costs. I am trying to book my return flight back to Nigeria, wondering if I must buy a seat so I can use a car seat for my baby or I can just take a gamble and board with hopes of finding an empty seat. These tickets are so pricey.

What would you advise?

Your question is not so clear. Are you talking about buying infant ticket? If yes then just buy it. It is just 10% of the cost of your ticket. Also you can search for a cheaper airline.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by SimiMaya: 9:38am On Jan 28, 2023
So I am getting an infant ticket but I am seeing two options - on lap vs in seat. It looks like I need to have a travel restraint system (a car seat) and I need a seat to be able to install the car seat. So I was wondering if I should just purchase the in lap ticket (which is 10% of my ticket) and hope to find an empty seat to strap my baby in or if I must buy a seat (which is only about $100 cheaper) but still expensive

flourishing247:

Your question is not so clear. Are you talking about buying infant ticket? If yes then just buy it. It is just 10% of the cost of your ticket. Also you can search for a cheaper airline.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by flourishing247: 10:00am On Jan 28, 2023
SimiMaya:
So I am getting an infant ticket but I am seeing two options - on lap vs in seat. It looks like I need to have a travel restraint system (a car seat) and I need a seat to be able to install the car seat. So I was wondering if I should just purchase the in lap ticket (which is 10% of my ticket) and hope to find an empty seat to strap my baby in or if I must buy a seat (which is only about $100 cheaper) but still expensive

I believe you already have a stroller. Just buy on lap. They usually provide a bassinet. I've seen that on flights. You could call the airline to verify if they will provide bassinet.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by SimiMaya: 4:48pm On Jan 28, 2023
Yeah, I have both the stroller and car seat. I will have him on my lap and request for a bassinet as advised. Thank you!

flourishing247:

I believe you already have a stroller. Just buy on lap. They usually provide a bassinet. I've seen that on flights. You could call the airline to verify if they will provide bassinet.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by flourishing247: 5:06pm On Jan 28, 2023
SimiMaya:
Yeah, I have both the stroller and car seat. I will have him on my lap and request for a bassinet as advised. Thank you!

Awesome. Have a safe trip. Congratulations on your baby.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by SimiMaya: 5:37pm On Jan 28, 2023
thank you.

Also, I am applying for ETC. i got information on the requirements on the Nigerian Consulate’s website. Please any idea what the letter of consent should state? My husband is in Nigeria, does he have to courier the original signed letter to me or would a soft copy suffice? Do we both need to sign the letter? How long does it take to process?

Thanks again.

flourishing247:

Awesome. Have a safe trip. Congratulations on your baby.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by flourishing247: 7:37pm On Jan 28, 2023
SimiMaya:
thank you.

Also, I am applying for ETC. i got information on the requirements on the Nigerian Consulate’s website. Please any idea what the letter of consent should state? My husband is in Nigeria, does he have to courier the original signed letter to me or would a soft copy suffice? Do we both need to sign the letter? How long does it take to process?

Thanks again.

No idea. Look for the birth thread. You can get answers there.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by SimiMaya: 8:09pm On Jan 28, 2023
got it. Thank you!

flourishing247:

No idea. Look for the birth thread. You can get answers there.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by otunbaajamu(m): 12:03pm On Jan 31, 2023
Did you tell them you were on vacation or for tourism purposes?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 12:23pm On Feb 02, 2023
SimiMaya:

Hi all

What would you advise?

How old is your baby?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by iyanuakin(m): 3:05pm On Feb 02, 2023
seyewest:

How old is your baby?
Good afternoon my ogas, trust we are all fine, last year I travelled to the US for a security conference plus vacation, spent 6 weeks, my visa expires next year, would like to go with my wife for my next trip of 12 days in April , her interview is December may 2024 searched for date countless times not seeing closer date, someone adviced i call the embassy and explain, I humbly request for your advice please
Thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 2:41pm On Feb 03, 2023
iyanuakin:
Good afternoon my ogas, trust we are all fine, last year I travelled to the US for a security conference plus vacation, spent 6 weeks, my visa expires next year, would like to go with my wife for my next trip of 12 days in April , her interview is December may 2024 searched for date countless times not seeing closer date, someone adviced i call the embassy and explain, I humbly request for your advice please
Thanks
Good afternoon, there's nothing the U.S Embassy can do about the dates unless it's for emergency purposes, keep checking the dates, you maybe lucky.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by iyanuakin(m): 11:17pm On Feb 05, 2023
seyewest:

Good afternoon, there's nothing the U.S Embassy can do about the dates unless it's for emergency purposes, keep checking the dates, you maybe lucky.

Thanks boss
Will keep checking
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by iyanuakin(m): 10:01am On Feb 10, 2023
seyewest:

Seems I’ll have to go alone
Just spending 10 days, even if she hasn’t gotten her date yet, as annual leave is scheduled in my office and mine fall in april, hope there won’t be issues
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by SimiMaya: 12:31am On Feb 14, 2023
He was born Jan 19
We plan to travel mid March

seyewest:

How old is your baby?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:51am On Feb 14, 2023
SimiMaya:
He was born Jan 19
We plan to travel mid March

Your airline would provide a Bassinet for your baby so you won't have to carry your baby all the time.
book for yourself and your infant, you can send PM so I can assist with the booking.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.