Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (492770 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ortega01: 6:10am On Jun 15, 2017
As I boarded a plane in London to Vegas, I was the only dark skin guy...
CBP:passport
Me: ok
CPB:how long u staying?
Me: 10days
CBP: Your First time traveling to the State?
Me: Yes ma'am
CBP: What do u do?
Me: ....
CBP: ok...look well on my passport and visa page if it's not scam or been tamper with...looking well on where to nail me but God win...
CBP: stamp me in and told me to give my landing form to the officer at the exit door to allow me pass. That one just asked how much is with u? And didn't allow me to finish responding before he said I should go...no body want to make a costly mistake on their job o guess that why CBP is working well to protect their country...

6 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:45am On Jun 15, 2017
tomayira:

I appreciate your candid advice...it`s ok to preempt that my moves screams "I don`t plan to return". I really try not to judge others too quick. Thanks and Keep up the good job!
The truth is I know it's stressful trying to renew the visa but it will save you a lot of stress if you do the needful. Have a good day.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:58am On Jun 15, 2017
oo
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by tomayira(f): 12:46pm On Jun 15, 2017
seyewest:

The truth is I know it's stressful trying to renew the visa but it will save you a lot of stress if you do the needful. Have a good day.

Yea you are right, especially for my type that live and work outside Abuja and Lagos. I will do as you have advised. Thanks.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 2:19pm On Jun 15, 2017
tomayira:

Yea you are right, especially for my type that live and work outside Abuja and Lagos. I will do as you have advised. Thanks.
Goodluck
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by shrekandfiona: 4:01pm On Jun 15, 2017
tomayira:

Truth is if you had used the visa for its original purpose, I would have advised you to travel with its less than 2 months validity. However, you haven't. So to be safe, just renew

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by shrekandfiona: 4:04pm On Jun 15, 2017
ozim:
Hello pee,
Am kind of confused here, people keep saying they stamp them 6months at POE, am presently in Orlando Florida, got in almost a month ago and the stamp I have on my passport is Admitted, please, where is the 6months written there cos I no see anything like that?
There's a US site you can use to check the duration. Can't recall it though but someone had posted it here before
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:56pm On Jun 15, 2017
shrekandfiona:

Truth is if you had used the visa for its original purpose, I would have advised you to travel with its less than 2 months validity. However, you haven't. So to be safe, just renew

You're right as well.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:57pm On Jun 15, 2017
shrekandfiona:

There's a US site you can use to check the duration. Can't recall it though but someone had posted it here before

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by FrontPageLawyer(m): 9:00am On Jun 16, 2017
ozim:
Hello pee,
Am kind of confused here, people keep saying they stamp them 6months at POE, am presently in Orlando Florida, got in almost a month ago and the stamp I have on my passport is Admitted, please, where is the 6months written there cos I no see anything like that?

Nothing to worry about, but next time, it's advisable to always confirm from the CBP officer or check your I-94 online so you are sure exactly how long you're permitted to stay in the US. Was also stamped in (Admitted) and the the duration of stay wasn't written. Once I noticed, I went back to the CBP officer and he said it's nothing to worry about. Told him the last time I came in, I was given 6 months and it was boldly written with a blue pen; he insisted it's nothing with a smile.

Checked my I-94 online. I was adnitted until October 2017. I nor wan hear story.

Maybe it's an integrity test, but I can't see myself doing three weeks outside Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by petersje8: 11:21pm On Jun 16, 2017
My people. Am traveling to the USA next month for vacation. We have made hotel reservation but havent paid. I have the option of pay upon arrival. Will this be an issue at POE ?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:11pm On Jun 17, 2017
petersje8:
My people. Am traveling to the USA next month for vacation. We have made hotel reservation but havent paid. I have the option of pay upon arrival. Will this be an issue at POE ?
No not at all it won't be an issue.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ozim(m): 8:43pm On Jun 17, 2017
Thanks so much,came back yesterday and I spent only 19nights so I don't think I have anything to worry about, but just that when we were leaving our passports was not stamped out, I told my friend and he said US and UK don't stamp out,please, is that info correct?

FrontPageLawyer:

Nothing to worry about, but next time, it's advisable to always confirm from the CBP officer or check your I-94 online so you are sure exactly how long you're permitted to stay in the US. Was also stamped in (Admitted) and the the duration of stay wasn't written. Once I noticed, I went back to the CBP officer and he said it's nothing to worry about. Told him the last time I came in, I was given 6 months and it was boldly written with a blue pen; he insisted it's nothing with a smile.

Checked my I-94 online. I was adnitted until October 2017. I nor wan hear story.

Maybe it's an integrity test, but I can't see myself doing three weeks outside Nigeria.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:40pm On Jun 17, 2017
ozim:
Thanks so much,came back yesterday and I spent only 19nights so I don't think I have anything to worry about, but just that when we were leaving our passports was not stamped out, I told my friend and he said US and UK don't stamp out,please, is that info correct?

Yes they do not stamp you out when you're leaving.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by keleks: 2:21pm On Jun 19, 2017
Hello house. Please i will be travelling with my hubby and daughter by the end of the month to texas and we will be spending 10 days. Tho we will be staying in a hotel but one of my hubby's friend said we should bring some food stuff over for him, like groundnut, egusi, dried fish, palm oil and other things. Its our first time travelling to the us, i hope we wont encounter any problem at the POE. And pls can i visit any hospital in us to see a gynecologist? Just to ask some questions and possibly solutions for conceiving?. I dont want to disobey any immigration rules o. We have a b1/b2 visa
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 4:37pm On Jun 19, 2017
keleks:
Hello house. Please i will be travelling with my hubby and daughter by the end of the month to texas and we will be spending 10 days. Tho we will be staying in a hotel but one of my hubby's friend said we should bring some food stuff over for him, like groundnut, egusi, dried fish, palm oil and other things. Its our first time travelling to the us, i hope we wont encounter any problem at the POE. And pls can i visit any hospital in us to see a gynecologist? Just to ask some questions and possibly solutions for conceiving?. I dont want to disobey any immigration rules o. We have a b1/b2 visa
They accept some food stuffs and they reject some... can you ask these questions at the USA visit visa section.... I believe a lot of people with experience will be able to answer you accordingly.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by 9jaStar: 2:35am On Jun 20, 2017
Nah. Even one day left on a visa is fine.
On my last NIV visa, I travelled with just days left on the visa and was stamped in for 6 months.
I renewed when I got back

seyewest:

Don't you think 2 month left on a visa is too risky what if they don't allow you in? you should do dropbox and travel if they renew it.

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by 9jaStar: 2:36am On Jun 20, 2017
It is.

Travel with it and then renew when you get back.

tomayira:

Thanks for your response, But does the numbers of months left on my visa determines if i would be granted entry or not? Since a visa can only take one to the port of entry and ones stay is determined by the CBP. A visa should be valid till the very last day of its validity.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:54am On Jun 20, 2017
9jaStar:
On my last NIV visa, I travelled with just days left on the visa and was stamped in for 6 months.

Have you traveled with the said visa before?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by 9jaStar: 2:40pm On Jun 20, 2017
Not quite sure which of the visas you mean.
But I travelled with the first one when it had just days to expire. Stayed for about six weeks, came back, renewed via Dropbox and travelled again one more time with the renewed visa before I got my Immigrant Visa

seyewest:
Have you traveled with the said visa before?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:01pm On Jun 20, 2017
9jaStar:
Not quite sure which of the visas you mean.
But I travelled with the first one when it had just days to expire. Stayed for about six weeks, came back, renewed via Dropbox and travelled again one more time with the renewed visa before I got my Immigrant Visa

I mean have you traveled earlier with the said visa before you decided to travel few days to the expiration of the same visa?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by 9jaStar: 7:19pm On Jun 20, 2017
Oh I see now.

Yes, I had travelled with it prior to that time.

To the point you are making, I am a frequent traveller. I think I must have used that particular visa at least four times prior to that.

In my opinion, I still think he can use it, provided he can clearly explain to the CBP Officer why he could not travel the first time

seyewest:
I mean have you traveled earlier with the said visa before you decided to travel few days to the expiration of the same visa?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:59pm On Jun 20, 2017
9jaStar:
Oh I see now.

Yes, I had travelled with it prior to that time.

To the point you are making, I am a frequent traveller. I think I must have used that particular visa at least four times prior to that.

In my opinion, I still think he can use it, provided he can clearly explain to the CBP Officer why he could not travel the first time

She was suppose to use that visa for conference I suppose and couldn't make it until a month or less before the expiration of the visa... do you think it will be easy for him at the POE?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by NaGodwin: 8:38am On Jun 21, 2017
Before you mislead people, remember that ticket is very expensive now.

9jaStar:

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by shrekandfiona: 11:27am On Jun 21, 2017
NaGodwin:
Before you mislead people, remember that ticket is very expensive now.

No he isn't misleading. He is right if it isn't your 1st US trip that means you had used the visa for its initial stated purpose.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 12:56pm On Jun 21, 2017
shrekandfiona:

No he isn't misleading. He is right if it isn't your 1st US trip that means you had used the visa for its initial stated purpose.
The issue is that this is the first time he/she want to use the visa.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ladylco: 1:49pm On Jun 21, 2017
seyewest:
The issue is that this is the first time he/she want to use the visa.

It's not a problem, provided the person give reason why he is using it at that time, and also ensure he answer all question correctly as it relates to what he filled on the ds form
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 2:35pm On Jun 21, 2017
ladylco:

It's not a problem, provided the person give reason why he is using it at that time, and also ensure he answer all question correctly as it relates to what he filled on the ds form

fine but as for me I won't advice the person to go ahead... it's up to the person to make the final decision.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by tomayira(f): 3:20pm On Jun 21, 2017
Thanks all for your wonderful inputs. This platform is for everyone to learn and gain wealth of experience. I have taken time to read through all the post as regard my question on if it would be ok to use my visa as a first time traveler to the U.S with just less than 2 months left on it? Please note that the initial intention (Conference) has not changed, I intend going for another conference. Now the questions are:
1. Would a CBP officer be more relaxed with a frequent traveler with the same visa validity as mine?
2. Has it become a crime or an offence if ones plan(s) changes?
3. Has anyone been returned to Naija from the POE simply cos he chooses to use his/her visa at any particular time within the visa validity?

In furtherance to my findings, this particular website explains a lot. https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/visa-expiration-date.html

Here are few extracts on what we have been trying to piece together.

A U.S. visa in his/her passport gives a foreign citizen permission to apply to enter the United States. A visa by itself doesn’t authorize entry to the U.S. A visa simply indicates that your application has been reviewed by a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and that the officer determined you’re eligible to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry for a specific purpose. The port-of-entry can be an airport, a seaport or a land border crossing.
At the port-of-entry, a U.S. immigration officer of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) decides whether to allow you to enter and how long you can stay for any particular visit, as part of the Admission process. Only the U.S. immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter the United States.

What the Visa Expiration Date Means
The visa expiration date is shown on the visa along with the visa issuance date. The time between visa issuance and expiration date is called your visa validity. The visa validity is the length of time you are permitted to travel to a port-of-entry in the United States.

Depending on your nationality, visas can be issued from a single entry (application) up to multiple/unlimited entries.

A visa issued for a single entry (denoted on the visa under “Entries” with the number 1) is valid, or can be used from the date it is issued until the date it expires to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry one time.
A visa issued for multiple entries (denoted under “entries” with a certain number (2, 3, etc.) or “M” for multiple/unlimited entries) is valid, or can be used from the date it is issued until the date it expires to travel to the U.S. port-of-entry as many times as your visa states, provided that:
Applying for a new visa is not necessary if your visa has not expired and you have not exceeded the number of entries permitted on your visa.
Multiple uses of a visa must be for the same purpose of travel allowable on the type of visa you have.

Thanks Guys once again, i will use the visa and make it a point of duty to report back here on however the trip goes.

3 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2017
tomayira:
Thanks all for your wonderful inputs. This platform is for everyone to learn and gain wealth of experience. I have taken time to read through all the post as regard my question on if it would be ok to use my visa as a first time traveler to the U.S with just less than 2 months left on it? Please note that the initial intention (Conference) has not changed, I intend going for another conference. Now the questions are:
1. Would a CBP officer be more relaxed with a frequent traveler with the same visa validity as mine?
2. Has it become a crime or an offence if ones plan(s) changes?
3. Has anyone been returned to Naija from the POE simply cos he chooses to use his/her visa at any particular time within the visa validity?

In furtherance to my findings, this particular website explains a lot. https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/visa-expiration-date.html

Here are few extracts on what we have been trying to piece together.

A U.S. visa in his/her passport gives a foreign citizen permission to apply to enter the United States. A visa by itself doesn’t authorize entry to the U.S. A visa simply indicates that your application has been reviewed by a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and that the officer determined you’re eligible to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry for a specific purpose. The port-of-entry can be an airport, a seaport or a land border crossing.
At the port-of-entry, a U.S. immigration officer of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) decides whether to allow you to enter and how long you can stay for any particular visit, as part of the Admission process. Only the U.S. immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter the United States.

What the Visa Expiration Date Means
The visa expiration date is shown on the visa along with the visa issuance date. The time between visa issuance and expiration date is called your visa validity. The visa validity is the length of time you are permitted to travel to a port-of-entry in the United States.

Depending on your nationality, visas can be issued from a single entry (application) up to multiple/unlimited entries.

A visa issued for a single entry (denoted on the visa under “Entries” with the number 1) is valid, or can be used from the date it is issued until the date it expires to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry one time.
A visa issued for multiple entries (denoted under “entries” with a certain number (2, 3, etc.) or “M” for multiple/unlimited entries) is valid, or can be used from the date it is issued until the date it expires to travel to the U.S. port-of-entry as many times as your visa states, provided that:
Applying for a new visa is not necessary if your visa has not expired and you have not exceeded the number of entries permitted on your visa.
Multiple uses of a visa must be for the same purpose of travel allowable on the type of visa you have.

Thanks Guys once again, i will use the visa and make it a point of duty to report back here on however the trip goes.
I'm glad that you find time to research and reassure yourself about the visa issue.. I wish you safe journey and I will be praying for you.
Please do not forget to get back to us and remember confidence is everything.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by lovena222: 7:26pm On Jun 22, 2017
Please anyone coming back to Nigeria soon , please just to help me get books. Thank you .

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.