Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,671 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (494307 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by jesufifunmi: 8:46am On Jul 04, 2017
seyewest:
BREAKING NEWS: HOMELAND SECURITY HAS GRANTED ABU DHABI AIRPORT EXEMPTION FROM THE LAPTOP BAN. 1st in Middle east to leave list.
Thank God. Cos i hear a lot of stories about missing laptop.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Talkmore004: 11:00am On Jul 04, 2017
Hello guys

I applied for US visa to visit AUSTIN in March for my Honeymoon vacation with my wife but I couldn't travel because my wedding was postponed to July (summer). So I intend to now travel in July for my honeymoon vacation but now I will be visiting NEWYORK instead of AUSTIN.

Please, what are the likely questions to expect at POE?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by KaptainAfrika: 11:19am On Jul 04, 2017
Just answer truthfully and confidently all questions asked.

Talkmore004:
Hello guys

I applied for US visa to visit AUSTIN in March for my Honeymoon vacation with my wife but I couldn't travel because my wedding was postponed to July (summer). So I intend to now travel in July for my honeymoon vacation but now I will be visiting NEWYORK instead of AUSTIN.

Please, what are the likely questions to expect at POE?

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 2:13pm On Jul 04, 2017
kraba:
Hello all. Got to the US today via Doha with Qatar Airways. I travelled with wider and our 4kids.

The trip itself was pretty stressful cause we had an 8 he 55minutes layover in Doha after a 10 hr 15minutes Lagos-Doha connect as against the usual 7hr 30mintes it took before the Qatar crisis.

After a total of like 37hrs (that"s adding the 4hrs spent at mmia) we got to JFK terminal 8 on schedule at 3.15pm local time and the place was pretty scanty.

We used the automated scanner and after a few minutes queue, it was our turn. The CBP Lady just shared jokes with the kids while she proceeded to stamp US all in for 6months, no questions asked, not even "why are you here ?" We thanked her and left. It took like 5minuyes to stamp each of the 6pps and the machine receipts.

Fast forward to agric after we collected our bags, we had declared that we had things like garri, egusi, ogbonna, yam flour, groundnuts etc. We itemized the food items and the cost in USD in the i-94 given to US on the plane and also answered in the affirmative to the question on good in the automated process.

The officers just asked whether we were sure we had no prohibited items and asked us to jave a pleasant stay.

Getting a ride to our accommodation was a bit dicey.The Uber guy showed up then said he couldn't take 6. I had to cancel and got charged $5
Eventually had to pay $55 to Bròoklyn for a ride with one of those "kabukabu" guys who brough a minivan. The yellow vabs eanted us to pay for 2 Cab that would have set me back $75 per Cab.

On the whole JFK was pretty stressless at least the terminal 8 I used today.

Wow Terminal 8 that's unusual... the Kabukabu na the sure way
Have a nice holiday.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ess: 10:21pm On Jul 04, 2017
kraba:
Hello all. Got to the US today via Doha with Qatar Airways. I travelled with wider and our 4kids.

The trip itself was pretty stressful cause we had an 8 he 55minutes layover in Doha after a 10 hr 15minutes Lagos-Doha connect as against the usual 7hr 30mintes it took before the Qatar crisis.

After a total of like 37hrs (that"s adding the 4hrs spent at mmia) we got to JFK terminal 8 on schedule at 3.15pm local time and the place was pretty scanty.

We used the automated scanner and after a few minutes queue, it was our turn. The CBP Lady just shared jokes with the kids while she proceeded to stamp US all in for 6months, no questions asked, not even "why are you here ?" We thanked her and left. It took like 5minuyes to stamp each of the 6pps and the machine receipts.

Fast forward to agric after we collected our bags, we had declared that we had things like garri, egusi, ogbonna, yam flour, groundnuts etc. We itemized the food items and the cost in USD in the i-94 given to US on the plane and also answered in the affirmative to the question on good in the automated process.

The officers just asked whether we were sure we had no prohibited items and asked us to jave a pleasant stay.

Getting a ride to our accommodation was a bit dicey.The Uber guy showed up then said he couldn't take 6. I had to cancel and got charged $5
Eventually had to pay $55 to Bròoklyn for a ride with one of those "kabukabu" guys who brough a minivan. The yellow vabs eanted us to pay for 2 Cab that would have set me back $75 per Cab.

In 2015 I booked via a site (can't recall the name) for an executive car to Brooklyn for $60 with my wife. I later figured I didn't need the luxury for that price but it was too late cos i paid directly.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Saylawchar(m): 12:41am On Jul 05, 2017
I have a question, a very good friend of mine got B1/B2 visa for his family and they had earlier planned to go for vacation together but now the wife fell sick, she wont be able to make the trip and my friend too doesnt have much time as he managed to secure this very 2 weeks leave, not sure of getting another leave. He now wants to find out if he can travel alone and return home two weeks after?
Hope he wont be returned at POE if he doesn't enter with his family?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by nefertitiram: 8:50am On Jul 05, 2017
seyewest:

Wow Terminal 8 that's unusual... the Kabukabu na the sure way
Have a nice holiday.

Isnt terminal 8 domestic wing
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:58am On Jul 05, 2017
nefertitiram:

Isnt terminal 8 domestic wing
exactly that was my thought but anything is possible.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moravelu: 7:10pm On Jul 05, 2017
Hi Guys thanks for ealier feedback:

Please gurus help
I have a student visa to a school in Nebraska. My student i20 form states that my resumption date is 15th august and my earliest arrival date is 15th July. I had booked a flight set to arrive JFK by 11th august (friday).
My reconnecting flight is from JFK to the schools location on same 11th aug.

I hope I wont have cbp troubles as I am obviously 4 days earlier than the resumption date.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by femo86(m): 7:45pm On Jul 05, 2017
Saylawchar:
I have a question, a very good friend of mine got B1/B2 visa for his family and they had earlier planned to go for vacation together but now the wife fell sick, she wont be able to make the trip and my friend too doesnt have much time as he managed to secure this very 2 weeks leave, not sure of getting another leave. He now wants to find out if he can travel alone and return home two weeks after?
Hope he wont be returned at POE if he doesn't enter with his family?

A reasonable man leaving his sick wife cos of vacation....

Wee you keep quiet...

6 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ess: 9:26pm On Jul 05, 2017
moravelu:
Hi Guys thanks for ealier feedback:

Please gurus help
I have a student visa to a school in Nebraska. My student i20 form states that my resumption date is 15th august and my earliest arrival date is 15th July. I had booked a flight set to arrive JFK by 11th august (friday).
My reconnecting flight is from JFK to the schools location on same 11th aug.

I hope I wont have cbp troubles as I am obviously 4 days earlier than the resumption date.

You can go anytime between 15th July up to 15th August I suppose depending on things you need to do prior to resuming. Simple English as stated.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by 9jaStar: 4:14am On Jul 06, 2017
Pele.

You could have downloaded Lyft and then requested a 6-person vehicle. That would most probably have been enough for you all. You can do it now ahead of your departure. And it's cheaper than Uber

kraba:

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by adeoluwanimi101: 7:12am On Jul 06, 2017
Hello Guys..

This thread is quite informative. Thanks to everyone for their contribution.

I plan to go on vacation for 2 weeks in New York by october. I will be staying with my uncle.

I want to go with some foodstuff. Hope it is advisable.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by mzjennypher(f): 9:57am On Jul 06, 2017
Pidgin2:

POE :Hi
Me: Hello, how are you doing?
POE : Good, so where are you going to?
Me: (Tells hotel address)
POE :How long will you stay there?
Me: Two weeks
POE: (looks at me, stamps my passport)
Me: Thanks (smiles when I see he has given me six months to stay)

@Pidgin2 did u pay for the hotel before leaving? or u paid when u got to the hotel

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by mzjennypher(f): 10:48am On Jul 06, 2017
Elogene:
Good morning house! Got into Florida yesterday morning through emirates flight. Entry into the state wasn't stressful.
After having my passport scanned, had to line up to meet with a cbp officer....
My interaction with the cbp officer:
Cbp: hello, good morning
Me: good morning
Cbp: how are you doing today?
Me: I'm doing good but very tired from the 15 hour flight from Dubai
Cbp: so sorry about that ma'am.... Can I have your passport and declaration form?
Me: (passes both to him)
Cbp: what do you do ma'am?
Me: I'm a bla bla bla
Cbp: how long do you plan to stay in Florida?
Me: 16 days
Cbp: okay... How much do you have with you?
Me: $1200
Cbp: (smiling) are you sure you have up to that with you? Just in case they want to confirm at the secondary inspection....
Me: yes I have exactly that with me
Cbp: okay ma'am, hope you're planning on visiting Disney World?
Me: (smiling too) oh yes... The hotel I'll be staying at, provides a shuttle to several tourist sites.
Cbp: okay ma'am (smiles as he stamps 6 months on my passport) have a lovely vacation.
Me: thank you, have a lovely day

Proceeding to pick up my checked in luggage and then straight to secondary inspection...
Cbp2: good morning ma'am
Me: good morning
Cbp2: do you have laptops or digital camera in your luggage?
Me: no.... I have just my cell phone with me
Cbp2: okay....any agricultural produce?
Me: not at all
Cbp2: alright ma'am just scan your luggage over there and you are good to go.
Me: (place my luggage on the scanner) then pick them up at the other end.
Cbp2: have a lovely day ma'am
Me: you too... (heading out into Florida fresh air) grin cheesy
All in all, no stress apart from the long queue.... Already enjoying my holiday here.

@Elogene did u pay for your hotel before leaving nigeria?

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by oyezeun: 11:18am On Jul 06, 2017
Please, I want to apply for US visa for a conference coming up by June 2018. When can I put in my application at US embassy I. Nigeria. And what if I get visa and I did not travel and decide to travel for the same conference around August hope there will not be issues at my point of entry. Please also let me know what documents I will need to present at embassy considering that I am a Ph.d students
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 12:12pm On Jul 06, 2017
adeoluwanimi101:
Hello Guys..

This thread is quite informative. Thanks to everyone for their contribution.

I plan to go on vacation for 2 weeks in New York by october. I will be staying with my uncle.

I want to go with some foodstuff. Hope it is advisable.
Sure so far you declare it... there will be no problem.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2017
oyezeun:
Please, I want to apply for US visa for a conference coming up by June 2018. When can I put in my application at US embassy I. Nigeria. And what if I get visa and I did not travel and decide to travel for the same conference around August hope there will not be issues at my point of entry. Please also let me know what documents I will need to present at embassy considering that I am a Ph.d students
This thread is for people with visa...

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Mandex11: 3:50pm On Jul 06, 2017
LONG POST ALERT

Hello guys great work here time to share my experience.

left 9ja through abv to Fra on the 3rd of July with lufthansa airline the expression with them was great.

got to fra spent like 4hrs 30mins there before we took the next flight (thats from frankfurt to Dallas dfw) the flight was looooooooonng mehn but twas great the food the drinks asin twas kiss. (by the way frankfurt airport is REALLY BIIIGGG)

so finally we landed dfw at exactly 2.05pm dallas time
our flight was the only one that landed at that time
so went straight to scan my pp for self service koisk and my slip came out with circle on it.

went to show it to the guy checking it and he said I'm free to go collect my bags. I was quite suprise cause twas just going smoothly.

so I finally collected my bags o and went straight to MEET C.B.P officer it got to my turn and I didn't spendo up to 50sec with him. here is it

C.B.P.what are you here for
ME.for vacation and to have my baby

C.B.P did you bring food stuff
ME.yes and started naming them cause I declared what I brought and he just said don't bother after naming the 3rd item

C.B.P. what my final destination
ME.told him elpaso

and he stamped my pp till Jan 2018 with b2 circled on it.

and that was it off I went to take my connecting flight to my final destination with south West air line.

my experience at dfw was really nice and fast I thank everyone for sharing thier experience cause nothing was asked or checked.

so that's my own personal first hand experience right there.

8 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:49pm On Jul 06, 2017
Mandex11:
LONG POST ALERT

Hello guys great work here time to share my experience.

left 9ja through abv to Fra on the 3rd of July with lufthansa airline the expression with them was great.

got to fra spent like 4hrs 30mins there before we took the next flight (thats from frankfurt to Dallas dfw) the flight was looooooooonng mehn but twas great the food the drinks asin twas kiss. (by the way frankfurt airport is REALLY BIIIGGG)

so finally we landed dfw at exactly 2.05pm dallas time
our flight was the only one that landed at that time
so went straight to scan my pp for self service koisk and my slip came out with circle on it.

went to show it to the guy checking it and he said I'm free to go collect my bags. I was quite suprise cause twas just going smoothly.

so I finally collected my bags o and went straight to MEET C.B.P officer it got to my turn and I didn't spendo up to 50sec with him. here is it

C.B.P.what are you here for
ME.for vacation and to have my baby

C.B.P did you bring food stuff
ME.yes and started naming them cause I declared what I brought and he just said don't bother after naming the 3rd item

C.B.P. what my final destination
ME.told him elpaso

and he stamped my pp till Jan 2018 with b2 circled on it.

and that was it off I went to take my connecting flight to my final destination with south West air line.

my experience at dfw was really nice and fast I thank everyone for sharing thier experience cause nothing was asked or checked.

so that's my own personal first hand experience right there.
So smooth I've heard good things about DFW.

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:51pm On Jul 06, 2017
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Awaino1214: 8:10pm On Jul 07, 2017
Please does a student with American student visa need BTA?
What are the procedures after getting a student visa
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by adozie(m): 1:11am On Jul 08, 2017
Zeng:

Please, maybe I need to clarify.

I am going to her place first because she will be paying my fees and purchasing medical insurance for me before I arrive at the school. The school requires I pay my fees before I arrive, but she wants to pay only after I'm in the US.

Nothing wrong with your traveling weeks before you start school. In fact they expect you to. Just tell them that you want to know your way around before classes start. Classes in the US is very different from Nigeria. No time to play around. The immigration officers know this.
Good luck to you. You will be ok.

3 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by therealmom: 11:42am On Jul 08, 2017
Good morning,

Please i would like to ask regarding port of entry, if a child is say 4-5 yrs would they still ask for hospital receipts of child birth?

Also should the u.s citizen child be travelling with grandparents from Nigeria, would they be required to carry the hospital receipts?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Saylawchar(m): 10:23pm On Jul 08, 2017
I have a question, a very good friend of mine got B1/B2 visa for his family and they had earlier planned to go for vacation together but now the wife was called back to work from her place of work place which necessitated her cancellation of movement. she wont be able to make the trip and my friend too doesnt have much time as he managed to secure this very 2 weeks leave, not sure of getting another leave.

He now wants to find out if he can travel alone and return home after his two weeks leave?
Hope he wont be returned at POE if he doesn't enter with his family as planned?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by gomez1only(m): 11:10pm On Jul 08, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm asking this question on behalf of my younger brother in yankee. He got a 2 years US visa in April this year, then travelled in middle of May, on his arrival at the POE, he was told he can only stay in the US until 1st of June 2017 (2wks stay). But, today is 8th of July and he's still in the US. But he plans on leaving by next month to come back to Nigeria. So, we're just scared of what might happen if he wants to return probably by next year. Will it be possible for him to also apply for a visa for his wife & kids? We need advice's please. What's his fate on coming back next year? What will happen to the current 2 years visa?

Abeg, make ona no fry us too much with yabbing o! Just go straight to the point on your advice please, Lol. Thanks in advance!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 1:49am On Jul 09, 2017
gomez1only:
Hello everyone, I'm asking this question on behalf of my younger brother in yankee. He got a 2 years US visa in April this year, then travelled in middle of May, on his arrival at the POE, he was told he can only stay in the US until 1st of June 2017 (2wks stay). But, today is 8th of July and he's still in the US. But he plans on leaving by next month to come back to Nigeria. So, we're just scared of what might happen if he wants to return probably by next year. Will it be possible for him to also apply for a visa for his wife & kids? We need advice's please. What's his fate on coming back next year? What will happen to the current 2 years visa?

Abeg, make ona no fry us too much with yabbing o! Just go straight to the point on your advice please, Lol. Thanks in advance!
Why did he overstay? He was given a stipulated time to leave the U.S but he decided not to leave.. Please tell us more.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Nobody: 5:17am On Jul 09, 2017
[quote author=mzjennypher post=58175821][/quote]

I only made a reservation

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by borryworld: 8:01pm On Jul 09, 2017
gomez1only:

I have seen l responses here and other threads. You may need to ask your brother some questions. Like
1. What was his stated purpose of travel during the visa interview?
2. Did he state a contrary purpose at POE?
3. What prompted the CBP to stamp him in for 2 weeks? You may need his transcript at the POE.
4. What is the date of return on his ticket?
Answer to these questions should clear the air.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.