Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,827 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:18 PM

Is The Need For Books Becoming Extinct? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is The Need For Books Becoming Extinct? (1130 Views)

HELP: Where can I Find NL Threads For Books Discussion/reviews / Book Republic Magazine : Call For Books And Essays / Pasting Write-up For Books. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Need For Books Becoming Extinct? by Ifez: 9:51pm On Dec 15, 2009
When we were kids, our parents made sure we read different kinds of books: Textbooks, Storybooks, Leisure books, Magazines, Comics, etc, etc. We came out better for it, both in speaking & writing, gaining far-and-wide knowledge, and improvement in general communication skills.

Now, as adults, do we make our kids read books, or do we let them dull their minds with too much watching of movies and playing video games? What kind of future will face kids who don't read?

There is a belief the world would get progressively dumber because of general lack of reading. Based on this, First and Second World countries are trying to make their children read more books. Are Nigerians doing the same?

Instead of improving, the book industry in Nigeria has become worse and may even degenerate further.

Is the future of our kids in trouble?

What do you think?
Re: Is The Need For Books Becoming Extinct? by Pharoh: 11:05pm On Dec 15, 2009
You are right in your analysis but you have to compare the economic situation and value system of both times. Most parents wants their children to work and contribute to family upkeep, some cannot even afford to buy text books and other stuffs for their children.

I think the library will be our temporary solution until other things get fixed, i mean each school should have a library and there should be government libraries where you encourage student to take books and read.
Re: Is The Need For Books Becoming Extinct? by Ifez: 4:04pm On Dec 17, 2009
Pharoh:

I think the library will be our temporary solution until other things get fixed, i mean each school should have a library and there should be government libraries where you encourage student to take books and read.

Yeah, but where will the books to be kept in libraries come from, since the publishing houses in Nigeria are gone and forgotten?
Re: Is The Need For Books Becoming Extinct? by Nobody: 3:09am On Dec 21, 2009
I hope I dont eventually end up as a primary school teacher when I decide to go back home, because going by NL alone, the level of Nigerian ignorance and bigotry is alarming. Many of these people dont know their left from their right and major in minors at the expense of common sense.

I fear for the future of Naija youths, with what I'm seeing here.

quite a lot of Nlers or maybe Nigerians in general, only see them as potential child soldiers and nothing more.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian, Teju Cole, Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel / Arise And Shine My Daughter Nkiruka / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.