Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry (23920 Views)

I Want To Give 100k To Those Who Are Really Hungry / CBN Brings Back Cash Handling Fees For Bank Customers / How I Recycled Wasted Disposable Cups To Chandelier Lights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by lalasticlala(m): 8:04am On Mar 08, 2017
Oscar Ekponimo is using technology to bring wasted food to the hungry

When he was 11, Oscar Ekponimo was so hungry he would stare at the kitchen cupboards in his home in Calabar, Nigeria, wishing they would magically fill with food. His father had stopped working after a partial stroke, and his mother earned so little as a nurse that he and his siblings ate just one substantial meal every two days. “My mom used to remind us that the hunger was not forever,” he said. “That always kept me going.”

Now 30 and a skilled software engineer living in Abuja, Ekponimo is working to ensure others do not suffer as he did. He has developed an app called Chowberry, which connects grocery stores and supermarkets with NGOs and charities to put wasted or leftover food to use. As packaged food items near the end of their shelf life, the app initiates discounts that grow larger the longer the products remain unsold. Local aid groups and other selected nonprofits are alerted about these discounts and also when supermarkets are giving food away for free. Food that would otherwise have gone in the trash is instead distributed to orphanages and needy families.

Last year his team of four completed a three-month pilot involving 20 retailers and fed around 150 orphans and vulnerable children. “Our system helped [orphanages] cut down on their spending by more than 70%,” he says. Although every small retailer Ekponimo has approached in Nigeria has embraced Chowberry, he says, larger companies have been slow to adopt the technology, mainly because of red tape. “That’s been my biggest challenge.”

Despite such problems, Ekponimo can’t imagine a different life for himself. “I had several job offers from big [technology] companies over the past few years,” he says. “But Chowberry is what I am passionate about and find fulfilling. I want to see it grow and continue to benefit people’s lives.”

http://time.com/collection-post/4684788/oscar-ekponimo-next-generation-leaders/

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by ouzo1(m): 8:09am On Mar 08, 2017
God bless u 0scar

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by gracyblaze(f): 8:26am On Mar 08, 2017
This is so inspiring. Ride on..

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by ikbnice(m): 8:38am On Mar 08, 2017
We must not always depend on government to do everything for us. Let's think of something to do to help someone.
This man has done something brilliant, who said we can't too?!

13 Likes

Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by trustyG: 8:54am On Mar 08, 2017
Interesting!

1 Like

Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by MrGreenMavro: 9:46am On Mar 08, 2017
smiley

Most Innovative technology!!!

We need an App...to send signal to police during election say rigging is about to take place! angry angry

Another App to blow whitsle to EFCC to say looting is about to take place sad sad

another App to send signal to the Nigeria Army to alert them that Bombing is about to take place.

Maybe naim App alert BigBrother when Kemen dy touch Tboss to say Smooching is about to take place.

13 Likes

Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 9:47am On Mar 08, 2017
nice innovation. this might help reduce hunger brought about by this recession.

BTW, what's the use of all these witches who were supporting Buhari during the election.

Naija witchcraft that cannot locate where Our president is.... Is that one Witchcraft?

5 Likes

Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by Arewa12: 9:48am On Mar 08, 2017
Hmmm Cr8ive
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by OLAFIMIX(f): 9:48am On Mar 08, 2017
Nice of him
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by NNVanguard(m): 9:48am On Mar 08, 2017
When the brain is put into productive use, wealth becomes inevitable. if you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by helphelp: 9:48am On Mar 08, 2017
Wow
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by SlimBrawnie(f): 9:48am On Mar 08, 2017
Today is my birthday

Zenith Bank sent me a birthday wish.
Stanbic IBTC Pensions sent me a warm birthday text.
Eco Bank has been sending me text messages since 12am today.
Even Nairaland sent me a mail.

But Keystone bank, my first bank ever has never for once sent me a message.
I'm withdrawing all my money and closing that account.
I dey vex.

Feels good to know I share same birth-date with the Acting President lipsrsealed

Thanks guys for the wishes, God bless

26 Likes

Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by money121(m): 9:48am On Mar 08, 2017
Ok
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by cutelover19(m): 9:49am On Mar 08, 2017
this guy is going places.

rule of life: solve any problem in your environment, then watch money chase you.

see you at the top bro

1 Like

Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by yungengr(m): 9:49am On Mar 08, 2017
nice one
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by Angelinastto(f): 9:49am On Mar 08, 2017
You've done well swidy
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by sakalisis(m): 9:49am On Mar 08, 2017
Ok
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by itiswellandwell: 9:49am On Mar 08, 2017
Nice one!
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by Emmy9ite(m): 9:50am On Mar 08, 2017
ok
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by ANBAKO: 9:50am On Mar 08, 2017
Good one brother!
If we keep contributing our individual quota, our country will be a better place for all.

But what has this got to do with next generation leader?

Anyways...good one bro!!!
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by Samanza89: 9:51am On Mar 08, 2017
I just feel like giving a hug to this dude!.. I read this with ghost pimples on my skin!...

When intellect meets class, and emotions meets compassion. Nothing is too small if you choose to stretch you hands to the poor and needy around you!!

God bless your generation brother!!!

5 Likes

Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by Pavore9: 9:52am On Mar 08, 2017
Touching lives through technology.
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by dainformant(m): 9:52am On Mar 08, 2017
kudos to the young man
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by policy12: 9:52am On Mar 08, 2017
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by Imoh555(m): 9:53am On Mar 08, 2017
sad
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by joinnow: 9:56am On Mar 08, 2017
So cool
He should have named it

Chopbread
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by Dshocker(m): 9:57am On Mar 08, 2017
Good thinking,good product
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by demarc001: 9:59am On Mar 08, 2017
Nice one bro
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by Lordave: 9:59am On Mar 08, 2017
Is that Wuse Market?
Re: Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry by obembet(f): 9:59am On Mar 08, 2017
Some idiot will clam tribe now

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please, Which Business Can I Start With N250,000? / Naira Depreciates Further As Dealers Await New FX Regime / If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.