Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) (33404 Views)

Florence Ajimobi Presenting Flowers To Adeyinka Adebayo In 1966 (Throwback Photo / Aregbesola Hands Over Corpse Of Adeyinka Adebayo To Fayose (Photos) / Burial Of Late General Adeyinka Adebayo (Live Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by sonnie10: 2:13pm On Mar 08, 2017
Suurulere:
He was 88. He would have been 89 tomorrow. He was entirely against the Nigeria Civil War.

"I need not tell you what horror, what devastation and what extreme human suffering will attend the use of force.
When it is all over and the smoke and dust have lifted, and the dead are buried, we shall find, as other people have found, that it has all been futile, entirely futile, in solving the problems we set out to solve." - General Adeyinka Adebayo, 1967.

He also implored Gowon to let Ojukwu break away with Biafra.
His first son, Otunba Niyi Adebayo was the first executive governor of Ekiti State between 1999-2003.

Rest on Sir.

That quote is culled from one of the speeches in America Civil War
Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by madridguy(m): 2:14pm On Mar 08, 2017
R.I.P
Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by Eledan: 2:17pm On Mar 08, 2017
Suurulere:
He was 88. He would have been 89 tomorrow. He was entirely against the Nigeria Civil War.

"I need not tell you what horror, what devastation and what extreme human suffering will attend the use of force.
When it is all over and the smoke and dust have lifted, and the dead are buried, we shall find, as other people have found, that it has all been futile, entirely futile, in solving the problems we set out to solve."
- General Adeyinka Adebayo, 1967.

He also implored Gowon to let Ojukwu break away with Biafra.
His first son, Otunba Niyi Adebayo was the first executive governor of Ekiti State between 1999-2003.

Rest on Sir.

It's this sort of eternal wisdom of Yorubas that makes others think they can't fight.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by Nobody: 2:17pm On Mar 08, 2017
Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by tmgold007(f): 2:17pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:

Adebayo was at Aburi, why didnt he warn Gowon about threading the path of war as well? Or is it only Ojukwu who needs advice?
OMG THESE PEOPLE ARE DEAD FOR GOD SAKE....LET THE MATTER REST

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by juman(m): 2:18pm On Mar 08, 2017
Adieu baba.
Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by Amarabae(f): 2:21pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:
My only criticism of him was that as a signatory to the Aburi agreement, he should have spoken up for the western Region when Gowon broke the Agreement by dissolving the 4 Regions and creating 12 states. General Adebayo was senior to Gowon. It is unfortunate that he, along with the Yoruba nation, just could never stand up to Northerners. Adebayo, as Military Governor of the Western Region did not sleep in Government House because he was scared that he might be killed like Fajuyi. A Yoruba man who could not sleep in his official residence in his own land out of fright of the Northerners!

Tufiakwa!
this is not needed here, its out of topic.
Respect the man and just type RIP.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by Eledan: 2:21pm On Mar 08, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

Ohk, I get it now. They should have wasted 3,million tribesmen like ojukwu before applying common sense? cheesy

Only idiotic cowards push their tribesmen into a battle they're doomed to lose while 'wisely' avoiding their immediate relatives involvement in the whole madness cheesy

Or you want to tell me there was no single male in ojukwu's family to fight in the war? You can keep celebrating him for wasting 3millionof your ancestors while still coming back to partner with their killers cheesy

Obasanjo surrendered to nobody. Rather the entire biafran project went to bow before OBJ as the leader of the conquering army. Ogundipe avoided a stupid shot at ephemeral power. If only aguiyi was half as sensible cheesy

Nigeria would not have been in this avoidable mess.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by scholes23(m): 2:21pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:
My only criticism of him was that as a signatory to the Aburi agreement, he should have spoken up for the western Region when Gowon broke the Agreement by dissolving the 4 Regions and creating 12 states. General Adebayo was senior to Gowon. It is unfortunate that he, along with the Yoruba nation, just could never stand up to Northerners. Adebayo, as Military Governor of the Western Region did not sleep in Government House because he was scared that he might be killed like Fajuyi. A Yoruba man who could not sleep in his official residence in his own land out of fright of the Northerners!

Tufiakwa!

Please answer the question below

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by aspabay(m): 2:23pm On Mar 08, 2017
[s]
kingzizzy:

Tufiakwa!
[/s]

Chairman chest beaters, disrespect for others is in their DNA.
Announcement!!! You have failed in your attempt to rubbish this fine gentleman.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by eposho: 2:26pm On Mar 08, 2017
Rip baba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by aspabay(m): 2:26pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:

At least Ojukwu fought 3 years before running away. .
I am glad you admit that fact.

kingzizzy:
Compare that to Adebayo, Ogundipe and Obasunjo. 3 Yoruba military leaders who surrendered to Northerners not only without a fight, but without an atom of protest.
The fallacy you buld on your head to make your hero look good. How and when did those Generals surrender?
Chest beaters, I just tire for una, I can't imagine living such life full of hate.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by kingzizzy: 2:26pm On Mar 08, 2017
laudate:

Ojukwu was the one who declared secession, not Gowon. sad Secession was a prelude to war. He was warned about his actions, but chose to turn his back on such warnings. From Zik and other african leaders, to Adebayo and other people from the West, Ojukwu had no shortage of good advice, but he chose not to listen. And it cost him dearly... sad

I do not have time to school you today, as I am rather busy. So just conduct a search on Google and try to read up the facts. undecided

Sorry bro but secession is not prelude to war. That a people seceded does not mean that only war can be employed to resolve the issue. Gowon could have gone for a second Aburi meeting, discussions, referendum. Of all the peaceful ways Gowon could have gone about Biafra, he chose war as his first and last resort

Adebayo was a signatory to the Aburi agreement, he signed on behalf of the the Western Nigeria. Yet he could never call Gowo out for breaking the agreement they all signed in Ghana.

Personally, I think Adebayo was a good man and a fine officer, but his docility is shocking.

Adebayo should have been the first Military President of an independent Oduduwa Republic.

Instead, he was reduced to saluting Gowon who was far his junior in the Army.

What a pity that only Ojukwu had the guts to stand up to Northern domination

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by gazilion: 2:33pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:

Tufiakwa!

That is why he lived to be 89 years! It is wisdom to let go at a time when what happened was inevitable.
I never knew he was a signatory to the Aburi Accord but since he already wrote in his book his disdain for the war and in support of the secession of Biafra, Please, let him be!! May his soul rest in peace.

Gazilion

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by Eledan: 2:34pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:

Sorry bro but secession is not prelude to war. That a people seceded does not mean that only war can be employed to resolve the issue. Gowon could have gone for a second Aburi meeting, discussions, referendum. Of all the peaceful ways Gowon could have gone about Biafra, he chose war as his first and last resort

Adebayo was a signatory to the Aburi agreement, he signed on behalf of the the Western Nigeria. Yet he could never call Gowo out for breaking the agreement they all signed in Ghana.

Personally, I think Adebayo was a good man and a fine officer, but his docility is shocking.

Adebayo should have been the first Military President of an independent Oduduwa Republic.

Bros, keep quiet and go and find something more meaningful to do with your time, You are constituting a nuisance on this thread abeg.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by airminem(f): 2:38pm On Mar 08, 2017
Obj Why Again? Journalist, Now A General AGain, Why Obj Why?
You Realy Didnt Want The General To Celebrate His Birthday As U Celebrated Urs Few Days Ago Abi?

R I P General, I Was His Neighbour At G R A Ikeja.

1 Like

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by successinlife: 2:38pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:

Tufiakwa!

Needless talking because you just have to say something.Nobody will take an avoidable risk,people take risks that are unavoidable in nature,there was political tension as at the time the man refused to sleep in the government house,it's not good arguing blindly,Ojukwu decides to run away at the peak of biafra war and he is seen till today as a hero,Adebayo will not take risk and he has the right to sleep where he deemed safe for him to sleep,what is the complain about?do you live his life for him?or you want to dictate what a general of Nigerian army should do?get a life jare.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by abu12: 2:40pm On Mar 08, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

You should ask who stood to lose more. I always say you guys think with your fists rather than your head that's why you missed this wisdom from Jesus Christ cheesy

Luke 14:31-32 KJV
Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? [32] Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.

A sensible general will avoid a war he stood to lose but then, we're talking about the eternal chest beaters here... cheesy

are you saying the Jews don't understand or read the Bible or they choose to disobey the word God?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by AkinPhysicist: 2:41pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:
[s]My only criticism of him was that as a signatory to the Aburi agreement, he should have spoken up for the western Region when Gowon broke the Agreement by dissolving the 4 Regions and creating 12 states. General Adebayo was senior to Gowon. It is unfortunate that he, along with the Yoruba nation, just could never stand up to Northerners. Adebayo, as Military Governor of the Western Region did not sleep in Government House because he was scared that he might be killed like Fajuyi. A Yoruba man who could not sleep in his official residence in his own land out of fright of the Northerners![/s]

Tufiakwa!

Absolute thrash

6 Likes

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by airminem(f): 2:43pm On Mar 08, 2017
sonnie10:

That quote is culled from one of the speeches in America Civil War
You Got It Right Sonnie10
Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by Odkosh: 2:44pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:
He took over after Fajuyi was slaughtered by the Northeners.

Who was one of the few officers of the time who came out with his intergrity intact
point of correction, when fajuyi bravely died for his boss. cos he does not want them to harm him. he died while protecting an easterner.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by AkinPhysicist: 2:45pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:

[s]At least Ojukwu fought 3 years before running away. Compare that to Adebayo, Ogundipe and Obasunjo. 3 Yoruba military leaders who surrendered to Northerners not only without a fight, but without an atom of protest.

They should have tried fighting to at least get to Ojukwus stage[/s]

Absolute thrash. If you start a war you should be able to fight it alone. Don't expect Yorubas to fight for you in your war of greed/corruption

10 Likes

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by shukuokukobambi: 2:45pm On Mar 08, 2017
abu12:

are you saying the Jews don't understand or read the Bible or they choose to disobey the word God?

Its their problem if they refuse to heed warning that has stood the test of time for over 2 thousand years!! cheesy

Anything they see after disregarding it, make dem take cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by AkinPhysicist: 2:48pm On Mar 08, 2017
laudate:

Yes. That grand, old man named Adebayo was the voice of reason. He tried to warn Ojukwu not to tread the path of war, because it would be futile. And he was right. Rest in peace sir.

If you study the Civil War history without bias you will realize that Ojukwu was a loud mouth,chest-beating know-nothing. Who allowed his Igbotic ego to cloud his judgement. People who were wiser than him like General Adebayo, saw EXACTLY what was gonna befall the Igbos BUT Ojukwu, the coward, was stubborn as a he-goat.Hence, 3 million humans wasted because one stubborn Igbo man wanted to rule. Tufiakwa!!!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by Nobody: 2:49pm On Mar 08, 2017
THE FATHER OF THE FIRST GOVERNOR OF EKITI. RIP BABA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by Odkosh: 2:51pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:

At least Ojukwu fought 3 years before running away. Compare that to Adebayo, Ogundipe and Obasunjo. 3 Yoruba military leaders who surrendered to Northerners not only without a fight, but without an atom of protest.

They should have tried fighting to at least get to Ojukwus stage.
may I never be ojukwu in my life and next life. fight and run. I spit it out.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by PDJT: 2:52pm On Mar 08, 2017
May Chukwu Okike bless his soul.
Go well General!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by Intrepid01(m): 2:53pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:

Some people are just eternally dump. So seceding and sending soldiers to capture Lagos by Ojukwu isn't a signal to the beginning of War. In the past I used to wander why you people have refused to think and call a spade a spade but lately I have come to understand that deeply rooted in an Ibo man's DNA ( even Igbokwe confirmed it) is a "blame them all but me syndrome" , "even when I'm wrong, they caused it" syndrome. Only few Igbos have come out publicly to blame Ojukwu for plunging them in to a war they never had the capacity for.

Imagine, a chest beater that is self centered, you even said Adebayo missed the chance to become the first Military President, what a useless thinking, your thinking is similar to that of Ojukwu and that stupid thinking led to the death of millions of people. Not until when you people start thinking properly, your miserable situation won't change. gerrarahia

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by airminem(f): 2:54pm On Mar 08, 2017
Eledan:

Bros, keep quiet and go and find something more meaningful to do with your time, You are constituting a nuisance on this thread abeg.

Eledan, You Should Allow The Debate Like Every Other Out Here Okay.
Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by successinlife: 2:55pm On Mar 08, 2017
kingzizzy:

I think the generation of today doesn't know the make up of Nigerian Army of yore.The hausas dominated by 90% the Nigerian Army.It is called number game then,no southerner would have the rest of mind of taking the mantle of leading the army as the commander in chief then.The loyal ones test run the terrain with loyalty to put up the courage to get promoted to that stool,as Obasanjo.Till today hausas still swell the ranks of the Nigerian army so he was right to have used wisdom because he has low backing for the post,the same game played out between Idiagbon and Babangida and a neutral officer 'buhari'was called back from course to be the head of state in december 1983 coup detat.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by PDJT: 2:57pm On Mar 08, 2017
[s]
AkinPhysicist:

If you study the Civil War history without bias you will realize that Ojukwu was a loud mouth,chest-beating know-nothing. Who allowed his Igbotic ego to cloud his judgement. People who were wiser than him like General Adebayo, saw EXACTLY what was gonna befall the Igbos BUT Ojukwu, the coward, was stubborn as a he-goat.Hence, 3 million humans wasted because one stubborn Igbo man wanted to rule. Tufiakwa!!!
[/s]

-What exactly did Nigerians fought for?

-I guess, to maintain white man's colonial post by all means, at the expense of African lives.

-Do you think Europeans would do same for Africans, if in same situation?
Re: Adeyinka Adebayo Is Dead (Photos) by Odkosh: 2:59pm On Mar 08, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

Their misery na real laughing matter cheesy

Just imagine? cheesy
grin, abeg take am easy with that guy. he will soon do ojukwu for you cos you are dissecting him already.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fayose Undergoes Back Surgery (Photos/Video) / Afe Babalola Confers Peter Obi "Omowale" Of Ekiti At His TownHall Meeting / Nigerian Army Pulls Out Five Generals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.