Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me (26721 Views)

Help..i Feel My Husband Doesn't Love Me Anymore / Marriage List Given To Man By His Father-In-law / My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 08, 2017
Hello NL

I visited my father-in-law sometime in January this year
We had certain conversation that included him asking me to visit him either on a weekly or monthly basis

Hmmmm,it didn't go down well with me,though i said nothing so it does not look as if i'm disrespectful.

I made up my mind it was not going to be possible as ordinarily i felt he was trying to control me;i didn't bother visiting in February as i already decided to visit at my convenience.

I really don't know if i am wrong,pls ur sincere advice

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by elantraceey(f): 2:22pm On Mar 08, 2017
Why does he want you to visit occasionally? Any specific reason?

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by MARKone(m): 2:22pm On Mar 08, 2017
You did nothing wrong my brother. Like you said visit at your own convenient time if at all you want to visit, and don't make it a routine.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 2:33pm On Mar 08, 2017
elantraceey:
Why does he want you to visit occasionally? Any specific reason?

Just so he can see me often
Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by elantraceey(f): 2:40pm On Mar 08, 2017
realmey:

Just so he can see me often

I still don't really get, why does he want to see you often? Is it just you or your entire. family(wife n kids)?

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 2:42pm On Mar 08, 2017
elantraceey:

I still don't really get, why does he want to see you often? Is it just you or your entire. family(wife n kids)?

Me not entire family.Offcourse i allow my wife nd kids to go see him whenever they please.
Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by eyinjuege: 2:50pm On Mar 08, 2017
He probably wants you two to be close.

Don't do more than your power. But calling him shouldn't be a problem. Call him often, just to chit chat.

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 3:08pm On Mar 08, 2017
eyinjuege:
He probably wants you two to be close.

Don't do more than your power. But calling him shouldn't be a problem. Call him often, just to chit chat.

Not appreciative of calls

1 Like

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by elantraceey(f): 3:11pm On Mar 08, 2017
realmey:

Me not entire family.Offcourse i allow my wife nd kids to go see him whenever they please.

Well I don't really think he wants to control, he might just want you guys to be close so I guess you should just see him at your convenience and call him when you're opportune to. I didn't really read where he said its a must.

9 Likes

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 3:16pm On Mar 08, 2017
elantraceey:

Well I don't really think he wants to control, he might just want you guys to be close so I guess you should just see him at your convenience and call him when you're opportune to. I didn't really read where he said its a must.

He said weekly or monthly
Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 8:33am On Mar 09, 2017
Is he a single dad or a polygamist who isn't close to his wives? Is he busy or less busy and perhaps lonely? Is he aged? Do you guys live within the same locality? Like not too far.

You don't need to answer all but probably if you consider the factors above, it will give you more insight into the situation. I won't support weekly or monthly visits because that gets old fast. You guys would wear each other out that way. But if he is sick or indisposed, then that request can come into play.

By the way, some parents and in-laws throw that around. They don't really mean it literally. They just say it to show they enjoy your presence and want you around more regularly not necessarily weekly or monthly.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 9:10am On Mar 09, 2017
Loisemm:
Is he a single dad or a polygamist who isn't close to his wives? Is he busy or less busy and perhaps lonely? Is he aged? Do you guys live within the same locality? Like not too far.

You don't need to answer all but probably if you consider the factors above, it will give you more insight into the situation. I won't support weekly or monthly visits because that gets old fast. You guys would wear each other out that way. But if he is sick or indisposed, then that request can come into play.

By the way, some parents and in-laws throw that around. They don't really mean it literally. They just say it to show they enjoy your presence and want you around more regularly not necessarily weekly or monthly.

*Not a polygamist

*Less busy

*In his 70's

*Far bt not too far

N.B:His wife is wt him nd his children are always wt him
Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Jahblessme: 9:30am On Mar 09, 2017
I hope you won't shed hot tears when your wife applies the same behaviour to your mother grin

23 Likes

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 9:57am On Mar 09, 2017
Jahblessme:
I hope you won't shed hot tears when your wife applies the same behaviour to your mother grin

Sorry bt my mother or( father of blessed memory )never at anytime imposed their will on my wife:She visits when she likes and nobody complains.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 09, 2017
Call him more often.

He probably doesn't have a son and he's in his old age yearning for mature man to man convo.

Call him more often and visit once a while, Maybe weekends. You could learn a lot from him.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 09, 2017
Ioannes:
Call him more often.

He probably doesn't have a son and he's in his old age yearning for mature man to man convo.

Call him more often and visit once a while, Maybe weekends. You could learn a lot from him.

well said brother bt he has sons.

He does not appreciate calls,he does not also believe in once in a while visits.

For instance when i call,it is said that i don't come around,when i come around,it is said i don't come often.
Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 09, 2017
realmey:

well said brother bt he has sons.

He does not appreciate calls,he does not also believe in once in a while visits.

For instance when i call,it is said that i don't come around,when i come around,it is said i don't come often.

And you're absolutely sure he's not a gay man who fancies you? undecided

Don't rule out that possibility.

4 Likes

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 11:26am On Mar 09, 2017
Ioannes:

And you're absolutely sure he's not a gay man who fancies you? undecided
Don't rule out that possibility.
That assertion is ruled out brother

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 09, 2017
realmey:

That assertion is ruled out brother

OK. Well, just be careful How you handle this. Discuss with your wife and listen to her opinion about it.

1 Like

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Richy4(m): 9:16am On Mar 10, 2017
I wish I could see the problem here...

Please my son... I want to see you and my daughter more often.at least ones in a month..The home is empty without you guys around me..Was that the controlling?

What is the problem in such request?....Or are you trying to make an issue where there's none?...Has he tried any controlling tendencies towards you before?.or are you trying to use other people's experience to equate yours....

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by megareal: 9:35am On Mar 10, 2017
Set your own pace and follow your own decisions. Don't start what you can't finish, else it will breed dislike and enmity when you default. Your father in law can only demand, it's your prerogative to do what you feel comfortable and happy with.

8 Likes

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 9:56am On Mar 10, 2017
Richy4:
I wish I could see the problem here...

Please my son... I want to see you and my daughter more often.at least ones in a month..The home is empty without you guys around me..Was that the controlling?

What is the problem in such request?....Or are you trying to make an issue where there's none?...Has he tried any controlling tendencies towards you before?.or are you trying to use other people's experience to equate yours....

Its me boss not his daughter

His daughter see him almost daily and i don't object to that.

There was i time i visited regularly like almost monthly,the next thing i heard was i wasn't visiting enough.

Bros check am now,oneday the man fit tell me make i pack come stay him house or even make i visit am daily

10 Likes

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 9:58am On Mar 10, 2017
megareal:
Set your own pace and follow your own decisions. Don't start what you can't finish, else it will breed dislike and enmity when you default. Your father in law can only demand, it's your prerogative to do what you feel comfortable and happy with.

Thanks sister.

I hope to view all comments and see if the larger part says go or don't go,then i will reach a final decision
Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Richy4(m): 11:27am On Mar 10, 2017
realmey:

Its me boss not his daughter

His daughter see him almost daily and i don't object to that.

There was i time i visited regularly like almost monthly,the next thing i heard was i wasn't visiting enough.

Bros check am now,oneday the man fit tell me make i pack come stay him house or even make i visit am daily

I might be wrong though....But all I see is love that a father in law has towards his son in law....It oozes from him that he does not have a way to control it...There are people that doesn't have a son and Father in law relationship..in fact some father in laws cannot stand their son inlaws..except if the son in law was richer....But in your own case the love he has for you was a burden for u.. I believe you are a good guy that's why he loves your presence and companionship.....

I guess he doesn't have much kids that could be a reason why he was looking for an additional....Please give him a call as often as you can and visit as often as you can...I have learned that people die easily this days....happiness can prolong lifespan and it could be the joy of seeing you and his daughter in unity and coming to see him that might increase his life....Think about it bro... Ten mins inconvenience phone call twice a week from you and a visitation ones in a fortnight is not too much to save a life or is it?.....

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by pocohantas(f): 3:00pm On Mar 10, 2017
*Yawns...*
Make una see wetin women dey go through small.

Go when it's convenient for you. Visit him the way you'll visit your own father of blessed memory.

6 Likes

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by CoCoLav(f): 5:49pm On Mar 10, 2017
He is just old and it obviously means he sees you as a son. Old people always want some company around them, its just normal.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 10, 2017
He might just be a friendly elderly man who likes his SIL's company.

2 Likes

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by sisisioge: 6:53pm On Mar 10, 2017
It depends on your familiarity with him. He might just consider you as his son hence the reason for wanting to see more of you. No biigy dude.

1 Like

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Sharon6(f): 10:19pm On Mar 24, 2017
This one is strong o

GIVE YOUR SKIN A TREAT, CHECK MY SIGNATURE!
Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by chukwuibuipob: 10:19pm On Mar 24, 2017
sad U had a "CERTAIN CONVERSATION THAT INCLUDED HIM ASKING U TO VISIT HIM ON A WEEKLY /MONTHLY." Abeg,tell us 5he certain conversation. I don't see how he take control u here, U had a certain conversation "

1 Like

Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 24, 2017
Father inlaw kwa
Re: I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 24, 2017
Father inlaw kwa

Odiegwu ooooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? / Wife Battery: Should We Drop Police Case, Though He’s Threatening To Kill Her? / The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.