Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,248 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use (19091 Views)

Nigerian Cars And Road Worthiness / These High End luxury Electric Cars Are Coming To Compete With Tesla (Photos) / HAHAHA And LOL Number Plates: Nigerian Cars Laughing At Poverty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by Btruth: 10:05pm On Mar 08, 2017
Sell able ba wo?

Once they reach here, and numbered to be used here. That's there final final. After been used finish, naa scrap sure pass.

grin
Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:08pm On Mar 08, 2017
Ok
Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by anitank(f): 10:40pm On Mar 08, 2017
Ironically I got my Toyota Camry "big light" (full option) as Nigerian-used and it's never given me a single problem for one day, never been to the mechanics except for normal servicing. The a.c is out of this world, the engine is sounder than many brand new cars. My friend who was vehemently against me buying a Nigerian-used car is still shocked how I got this lucky.

My point is: not all Nigerian used vehicles are unsellable. Many people still know how to maintain their cars and if you get lucky you could be buying from one of them.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by ChiefSweetus: 10:43pm On Mar 08, 2017
Witch follow your car and knock the engine especially when you do the secks inside the vehicle. Thats a bad luck. sad
Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by buchilino(m): 11:09pm On Mar 08, 2017
MY OPINION IS DAT 1,3 N 5 R D BIGGEST CHALLENGES FACING CAR OWNERS.
Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by Nobody: 11:10pm On Mar 08, 2017
This is a total hogwash, as usual.

I bought a Nigerian used 2002 Toyota 4Runner a few months ago.

Yes, the vehicle shows total lack of pride of ownership on the part of the previous owner but to postulate that it has no value is nonsensical. Of course in my opinion and from my practical experience.

I've had to change basic maintenance items such as worn out steering components and air filter but the rest are just cosmetic stuff that wasn't properly taken care off.

Many people on here buy and sell Nigerian used cars as a matter of fact.
Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by Dman00(m): 11:17pm On Mar 08, 2017
Aaa,Africans wicked oo,if cars can talk lasan,we go hear plenty. There is one car 4 our areap(mitsubishi lancer) we use to call ijaya bcs d rate dy wil load d car wil put fear of God into u. They wil load d inside,outside and d top of d car wit load. Only God can save us
Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by Nobody: 11:42pm On Mar 08, 2017
Definitely not a ride from Shagati!
He takes good care of his rides.
#mytoken
Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by Nobody: 11:45pm On Mar 08, 2017
EgunMogaji:
This is a total hogwash, as usual.

I bought a Nigerian used 2002 Toyota 4Runner a few months ago.

Yes, the vehicle shows total lack of pride of ownership on the part of the previous owner but to postulate that it has no value is nonsensical. Of course in my opinion and from my practical experience.

I've had to change basic maintenance items such as worn out steering components and air filter but the rest are just cosmetic stuff that wasn't properly taken care off.

Many people on here buy and sell Nigerian used cars as a matter of fact.
In fact Shagati is a typical example of a chap who loves and care for rides, one reason I admire that bloke
Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by jeff1607(m): 11:46pm On Mar 08, 2017
lovely post

but that last one about poverty doesn't stick to Nigerians alone, in some countries, some people tho not all like keeping a particular car no matter how old it gets even the wealthy but we are talking about nigeria here, when you fix something yourself and see it either working or standing the test of time you get that feeling that "you made it work "

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by emerich(m): 12:08am On Mar 09, 2017
anitank:
Ironically I got my Toyota Camry "big light" (full option) as Nigerian-used and it's never given me a single problem for one day, never been to the mechanics except for normal servicing. The a.c is out of this world, the engine is sounder than many brand new cars. My friend who was vehemently against me buying a Nigerian-used car is still shocked how I got this lucky.

My point is: not all Nigerian used vehicles are unsellable. Many people still know how to maintain their cars and if you get lucky you could be buying from one of them.
You are so on point, not all Nigerian used car are vegetables, bought a Nigerian used manual baby boy 2002 model from Zaria at a very affordable price last year June, even learnt how to drive with the car and never had I had any cause to visit the Mechs for once only when I spoilt the shaft while learning, the Ac is superb, interior as a neat as a tokunbo and drives as smooth as a brand new car, engine is noiseless, my Doc friend whom happened to be my neighbour is always amazed while driving my car, some guys have good maintenance culture esp the northerners. My ride.........

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by uvalued(m): 1:43am On Mar 09, 2017
AutoReportNG2:
Nigerians are no doubt sets of wonderful people, no matter where we are in the world, we can adapt to any situation and weather condition, our tenacity has made us excel in all ramifications that even the international world seems not to understand us again, every of their prediction has been defeated that at times they wondered, what manner of people are these... We are spenders, and we love the good thing of life. Cars are such of things an average Nigerian see as a must have even if it means to take a loan, steal or by any means to get it. We are an import driven nation, anything import catches our attention. AutoReportNG did an investigation as to why Nigerians cars are not sellable after the owner must have gotten tired of the car or maybe he has a new one, and he decided to free his garage. Please note, not all cars are not re-sellable, but, almost 70-80% of the cars are not in any way re-sellable that even if you have to resell it, it will be in the form of a scrap thereby losing its monetary value and uses. These facts are what we see mostly as the cause, you may add yours in the comment box.

1. Bad Roads

Nothing makes a car wear out faster than a bad road, even if you buy the latest and costliest car in the world, it's just a matter of time before the car becomes a scrap. In a country of ours where good roads seem to be a privilege and not a necessity. I have seen rich men who have exotic cars but can't drive it because the road to their home is a death trap, I then asked, what is the essence of buying it then when you know your road is not good.

2. Bad Maintenance Culture

A philosopher once said the easier way to kill a black man is to put the solution of an ailment in a book, they won't read it! Nothing deforms a man faster than one who does not read or has a lackadaisical attitude. It's only a Nigerian man who won't service his car until when the car breaks down. My neighbor hardly puts water in his radiator until when the car gives a warning sign. If the owner of a car lacks a proper maintenance of his car, it's only a matter of time before the car becomes a shadow of its self. Maintenance includes the body of the car, the upholstery, engine among others. A mechanical engineer once said, you must service your vehicle at least, once in 2 months, so asked yourself, when last have I maintained my car?

3. Mechanics

Shout out to all our fantastic mechanics, people like Kazeem, Morufu, Chukudi, Abdulahi, etc. What can we do without these guys? These guys can make or mar the destiny of your car. They are always our last resort and people we can call at any time to fix our car, and they will be around, but have you asked for your certification? The damage being done by these mechanics can not be overemphasized, yes, they may seem reliable, affordable and always timely, but when you carefully study the way and manner they operate your car, you will run away from them. Some may manipulate some parts so as to make the profit for another one thereby destroying the core part of the car. My uncle's car becomes a scrap after his mechanics exchange some parts from the engine and the engine knocked off.

4. Spare Parts

There comes a time where your car will develop a mechanical fault or when it has to undergo tear and wear, and when the components are not readily accessible, it's as good as nothing in the first place. When the spare parts of a vehicle is scarce, it makes the vehicle redundant and not ready to use, selling a car with no spare parts will take an eternity to see a buyer, except if there is a match or maybe you sell it off as scrap.

5. Nigeria Drivers (Taxi, Danfo, Keke Napep, Trailers, Okada)

The Yorubas has a saying that a man who wears a white cloth/linen should not go to where they are selling palm oil. The literal interpretation of this is that a nobleman should distance himself from shady or questionable acts. Nigerian drivers are set of crazy sets of folks, at times you wonder how come these ones got their driving license because of the way and manner they drive. Danfo drivers don't mind turning your Range Rover Vogue to a nightmare, the fear of the abokis driving the trailers is definitely the beginning of wisdom, when they face you, you won't know when you divert into the bush. Many car owners have met their waterloo in the hands of these set of people which makes their cars completely right off.

Addendum:
Poverty is considered to be one of the main factors why Nigerians hold on to a car for some long. Imagine someone who bought his first car at the rate of 500,000 naira and the car has gone up to 5million naira, where do you expect such a man to see that type of fund? He would rather continue using the one he has with him instead of selling it off and he will start over again.

Do you have a different opinion from the ones mentioned above? Please comment below and lets learn together.

- AutoReportNG

Source
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/03/why-nigerian-cars-are-not-sell-able.html

Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by Nobody: 1:45am On Mar 09, 2017
IHate9ja1:

In fact Shagati is a typical example of a chap who loves and care for rides, one reason I admire that bloke

In Ibadan, around Iyaganku area, I saw an older Nissan Patrol that looks very well kept. I had to salute the owner.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use by Nobody: 2:58am On Mar 09, 2017
AutoReportNG2:

2. Bad Maintenance Culture

A philosopher once said the easier way to kill a black man is to put the solution of an ailment in a book, they won't read it! Nothing deforms a man faster than one who does not read or has a lackadaisical attitude. It's only a Nigerian man who won't service his car until when the car breaks down. My neighbor hardly puts water in his radiator until when the car gives a warning sign. If the owner of a car lacks a proper maintenance of his car, it's only a matter of time before the car becomes a shadow of its self. Maintenance includes the body of the car, the upholstery, engine among others. A mechanical engineer once said, you must service your vehicle at least, once in 2 months, so asked yourself, when last have I maintained my car?

You are actually not meant to put water into the radiator. It would burn off(evaporate) and overheat. That is why we have radiator fluid. Radiator fluids can last for years without having to top it up or flush. It doesnt boil or evaporates unlike water.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages / Police In Oyo To Impound Vehicles With Sirens, Spy And Covered Number Plates / Jeep Unveils The 2020 Gladiator Off-roader That Is Part SUV,Part Pickup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.