Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,565 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate (4229 Views)

Ekiti 2018: Reject Stomach Infrastructure, Buhari Tells Ekiti Electorate / Vote For Fayemi, We've Modified Him, APC Leaders Tell Ekiti Electorate / Kogi Electorate File Fresh Suit To Remove Bello From Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Ishilove: 7:57am On Mar 10, 2017
This had me braying all over the place. Politicians are master con men. Never be fooled by them cheesy cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by omenkaLives(m): 7:58am On Mar 10, 2017
HungerBad, I landed before you! cheesy cheesy

Now, let be go back and read what my priceless pearl has to share.

Back.

All I can say is WOW!!

Imagine how one does catastrophic damage to another's reputation without incuring the wrath of the law. TBH, even if one knows the meaning of those words, the manner and circumstance under which they were applied would sorta force your mind to think differently about them!

Those who work in the propaganda department of government need to get a copy of this book asap. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by kingphilip(m): 8:04am On Mar 10, 2017
This thing isn't clear from my phone.. Can you type it out lemme see what you are seeing

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by theSpark(m): 8:08am On Mar 10, 2017
Homosapien grin
Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 10, 2017
Winston Churchill said the biggest argument against democracy is a conversation with the average voter.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Integrator1: 2:53pm On Mar 10, 2017
No wonder we have Octogenarian as the President.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Ishilove: 3:10pm On Mar 10, 2017
omenkaLives:
HungerBad, I landed before you! cheesy cheesy

Now, let be go back and read what my priceless pearl has to share.

Back.

All I can say is WOW!!

Imagine how one does catastrophic damage to another's reputation without incuring the wrath of the law. TBH, even if one knows the meaning of those words, the manner and circumstance under which they were applied would sorta force your mind to think differently about them!

Those who work in the propaganda department of government need to get a copy of this book asap. cheesy
Like seriously. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by profhezekiah: 3:13pm On Mar 10, 2017
Pple knw d right thing to do but sentiment,tribalism,prejudice,segregation and greed will not allow dem to do it

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Ishilove: 3:17pm On Mar 10, 2017
oyb:
Winston Churchill said the biggest argument against democracy is a conversation with the average voter.

grin grin

Although I think this kind of 'smear' tactic will only work in societies that are not influenced by 'stomach infrastructure' cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Ajibel(m): 3:20pm On Mar 10, 2017
Wow.

This part cracked me up

He was known to matriculate grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I'm sure they mis heard it as _masturbate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by AfroSamurai: 3:23pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ishilove:

grin grin

Although I think this kind of 'smear' tactic will only work in societies that are not influenced by 'stomach infrastructure' cheesy
grin You can say that again.
Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Beremx(f): 3:27pm On Mar 10, 2017
Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Nobody: 3:36pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ishilove:

grin grin

They have their own version of stomach infrastructure. It's called jobs
Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by anonimi: 3:57pm On Mar 10, 2017
Integrator1:
No wonder we have Octogenarian as the President.

.............who is also an illiterate bossing a VP who has demonstrated he is more competent by far in the past two months of the dullard's disappearance to London. shocked
Yet some BMC e-warrior zonebees continue to praise him to high heavens with their confusionist propaganda spins.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3133111_17515_jpeg7a1bf2295e34488f4ceeeae79295c0f2

5 Likes

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by shukuokukobambi: 4:03pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ishilove:

grin grin

Ishilove, forget that thing. It worked perfectly in America and got Trump elected. Even one slowpoke almost shot innocent folks in a pizza restaurant he was convinced harboured Hillary's personal pedophile ring that supplied her little boys for sex cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by anonimi: 4:06pm On Mar 10, 2017
profhezekiah:
Pple knw d right thing to do but sentiment,tribalism,prejudice,segregation and greed will allow dem to do it

I guess there was a typo and you meant to say- will allow dem NOT do it.
This is why CORRUPTION is largely defined in our society to mean- someone who steals more than you steal AND is not your friend, relation, tribesman.
Those who are your friend, relation and tribesman have only gotten a share of the national cake aka Niger Delta oil revenue on your behalf and should be hailed, praised and given chieftaincy titles for not letting the tribe be marginalised. embarassed undecided
Meanwhile education, electricity, roads, tap water, clinics etc that can generate EMPLOYMENT may not be provided in the area and across the nation.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2174510_nigeriansmobmentality_jpegd710c25fa577a4f0fb35da579ff1eb3d

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by anonimi: 4:08pm On Mar 10, 2017
shukuokukobambi:
Ishilove, forget that thing. It worked perfectly in America and got Trump elected. Even one slowpoke almost shot innocent folks in a pizza restaurant he was convinced harboured Hillary's personal pedophile ring that supplied her little boys for sex cheesy

That is why each side has to vigorously correct the LIES and propaganda of the other side.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3937452_fbimg1455225198661_jpeg11aac1d4a66dda821df3f6422c5fd4c4

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by shukuokukobambi: 4:12pm On Mar 10, 2017
anonimi:

That is why each side has to vigorously correct the LIES and propaganda of the other side.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3937452_fbimg1455225198661_jpeg11aac1d4a66dda821df3f6422c5fd4c4

I agree with you. We even need to correct the lies of this our brother Ben Carson who described slaves, forced to America, as immigrants in search of a better life

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by madridguy(m): 4:21pm On Mar 10, 2017
Following...
Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by naptu2: 4:36pm On Mar 10, 2017
LEGENDARY CAMPAIGN: PEPPER VS. SMATHERS IN '50

By HOWELL RAINES, Special to the New York Times
Published: February 24, 1983

WASHINGTON, Feb. 20— This is an inquiry into a political legend. The legend began 32 years ago in Florida's Democratic senatorial primary, and it reaches forward in time to the comfortable offices where today two aging men enjoy the rewards that often come with a long public life in this city. That is to say, one is rich in influence, the other in money.

In American political folklore, Representative Claude D. Pepper and former Senator George A. Smathers are yoked together as the principals in an election renowned for its flamboyant oratory, ideological ferocity and personal drama.

Their contest cost Mr. Pepper, now 82 years old, his Senate seat and his Presidential aspirations. It also left Mr. Smathers, the ostensible victor, with a reputation - unearned, he says, but unshakeable - as a political hatchet man.

And as any campaign junkie worth his subscription to the ''The Almanac of American Politics'' knows, the Smathers-Pepper legend depends on one key quotation that seemed to sum up the rivalry between the two men. Quotation in Time Magazine

Mr. Smathers, now 69, was supposed to have dazzled rural voters with a barrage of double talk that went like this: ''Are you aware that Claude Pepper is known all over Washington as a shameless extrovert? Not only that, but this man is reliably reported to practice nepotism with his sister-in-law and he has a sister who was once a thespian in wicked New York. Worst of all, it is an established fact that Mr. Pepper, before his marriage, habitually practiced celibacy.''

Since these words appeared in the April 17, 1950, issue of Time magazine, they have been reprinted in numerous articles. Writers as different as Robert Sherrill on the left and William F. Buckley Jr. on the right have used the purported quotation in their books.

There is only one problem with the legendary remark, Mr. Smathers said in a recent interview. ''It's apocryphal,'' he declared. ''I offered $10,000 to anybody who could say that you would come up and testify and pass a lie detector test that they had ever heard me say anything like that.''

Ironically, in the same article, Time, citing unnamed ''Northern newspapers,'' described the purportedquotation as a ''yarn'' of doubtful authenticity. But the words took on a life of their own. 'Vicious Distortion' Cited

Whatever their origin, Mr. Pepper said in an interview, they are worth remembering today as an example of the political tactics that came into fashion in 1950.

But the history of the remark attributed to Mr. Smathers is perhaps most interesting as a case study in how real and fictional events, stump speeches and reporters' gossip, ideology and dirty tricks blend together to form the sustaining mythology of this town's political community.

''It was a campaign of vicious distortion,'' Mr. Pepper said, ''calling me 'Red Pepper,' calling me a Communist. That fitted right in, you see, with the McCarthyism that was sweeping the country.''

But Mr. Smathers insisted that not all the tough talk had come from him. For example, Mr. Pepper liked to wave his Alabama birth certificate at all-white audiences and remind them that Mr. Smathers was born in New Jersey. No son of the South, Mr. Pepper said in replying charges that he was pro-black, needed instruction from a Northerner on race.

Such theatrics drew national press attention, and it was apparently a mixture of journalistic interest and the candidates' torrid rhetorical exchanges that gave rise to the famous remark. Passing Jokes Around

According to Mr. Smathers, newspaper reporters, chiefly William H. Lawrence of The New York Times, began inventing double-talk quotations and swapping them over drinks. Mr. Smathers said these wisecracks became the running joke of the campaign and that Mr. Lawrence kept him posted on the latest version.

William Fokes, a Tallahassee lawyer who was Mr. Pepper's administrative assistant at the time, also confirmed that reporters were passing around these jokes. In interviews, people from both camps agreed that there was no record that Mr. Smathers used any of the joke lines on the stump.

But there is evidence that once the jokes got started, the Smathers organization helped spread them. The idea was not to mislead ignorant voters with fancy words but to undermine respect for Mr. Pepper by making him an object of ridicule in the conservative Panhandle of northern Florida, recalled Daniel T. Crisp, a Jacksonville public relations man who worked in Mr. Smathers's behalf.

''It was actively used because it was funny,'' said Mr. Crisp. Two years before the election, he recalled, he was hired by Edward Ball, manager of the DuPont interests in Florida, to rally the conservative vote against Mr. Pepper. The jokes about celibacy and matriculation were part of an arsenal of anti-Pepper humor. Lost Seat After 14 Years

''There were several things,'' Mr. Crisp said. ''One was a little card passed from one businessman to another, saying: 'Florida's fastest growing industry: Canning Pepper.' ''

And canned Mr. Pepper was, losing his seat by 60,000 votes after 14 years in the Senate. His career was in eclipse until 1962, when he was elected to the House of Representatives, where he established himself as a defender of Social Security and other programs for the elderly.

Since retiring from the Senate in 1969 to become a lawyer-lobbyist, Mr. Smathers has conducted a sporadic letters-to-the-editor campaign against the purported quotation. Mr. Buckley, in later editions of his book ''McCarthy and his Enemies'' added a footnote saying that the attribution to Mr. Smathers was an ''injustice.''

Even so, Mr. Smathers has abandoned hope of killing off the dogged paragraph. He realized the futility of the effort, he said, when it showed up in textbooks for college speech courses as an example of rhetorical trickery. Contribution From Smathers

There was one more casualty of the 1950 campaign, a friendship that dated to before World War II when Mr. Smathers was Mr. Pepper's campaign manager on the University of Florida campus.

But, after decades of estrangement, a Pepper fund-raising letter showed up a few years ago in Mr. Smathers's law office. Coming upon it, Mr. Smathers responded with a campaign contribution. Mr. Pepper, after joking that the check bounced, thanked him for it.

A partial thaw in their relationship resulted. For his part, Mr. Pepper tells anyone who asks that he never actually heard Mr. Smathers say the famous words attributed to him.

And Mr. Smathers said he would contribute to Mr. Pepper as long as he stays in Congress as a champion of the elderly. ''I guess,'' Mr. Smathers said, ''I'm getting old enough to where I kind of feel like he may speak for me.''

Illustrations: photo of Claude D. Pepper photo of George A. Smathers

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/02/24/us/legendary-campaign-pepper-vs-smathers-in-50.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by profhezekiah: 5:19pm On Mar 10, 2017
anonimi:

I guess there was a typo and you meant to say- will allow dem NOT do it.
This is why CORRUPTION is largely defined in our society to mean- someone who steals more than you steal AND is not your friend, relation, tribesman.
Those who are your friend, relation and tribesman have only gotten a share of the national cake aka Niger Delta oil revenue on your behalf and should be hailed, praised and given chieftaincy titles for not letting the tribe be marginalised. embarassed undecided
Meanwhile education, electricity, roads, tap water, clinics etc that can generate EMPLOYMENT may not be provided in the area and across the nation.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2174510_nigeriansmobmentality_jpegd710c25fa577a4f0fb35da579ff1eb3d
yes U are right

1 Like

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Ishilove: 9:04pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ajibel:
Wow.

This part cracked me up

He was known to matriculate grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I'm sure they mis heard it as _masturbate
'He is a well known sexagenerian' almost made me roll on the floor cheesy
Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Ishilove: 9:05pm On Mar 10, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

You have a point grin
Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by shukuokukobambi: 9:19pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ishilove:

You have a point grin

It's crazy honestly and both sides are guilty like anonimi said. Some APC folks also believed Jonathan was having an orgy in the presidential jet while traveling for foreign functions while some PDP supporters still believe today that Buhari married Aisha when she was 9 years old!! cheesy

I was watching one video on facebook where they were interviewing Americans on the streets. You'll be surprised at how totally ignorant and stupid so called white enlightened folks are cheesy

Idiocy isn't restricted to one side and surprisingly education doesn't totally eradicate it cheesy

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Ishilove: 9:25pm On Mar 10, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

It's crazy honestly and both sides are guilty like anonimi said. Some APC folks also believed Jonathan was having an orgy in the presidential jet while traveling for foreign functions while some PDP supporters still believe today that Buhari married Aisha when she was 9 years old!! cheesy

I was watching one video on facebook where they were interviewing Americans on the streets. You'll be surprised at how totally ignorant and stupid so called white enlightened folks are cheesy

Idiocy isn't restricted to one side and surprisingly education doesn't totally eradicate it cheesy
I think they call those uneducated white folks 'red necks' grin

1 Like

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by shukuokukobambi: 9:26pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ishilove:

I think they call those uneducated white folks 'red necks' grin

Hillary also called them "deplorables" grin

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Nobody: 9:35pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ishilove i will have to call you out because you were part of those mob shouting change when critical thinking would have gone a long way to show that the two leading candidate during the general election had nothing to offer the electorate.

Today you stumbled on a book that shows how politicians can use words to deceive the electorates and you rushed here to show us forgetting that we know your antecedent here

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Ishilove: 9:39pm On Mar 10, 2017
Kathmandu:
Ishilove i will have to call you out because you were part of those mob shouting change when critical thinking would have gone a long way to show that the two leading candidate during the general election had nothing to offer the electorate.

Today you stumbled on a book that shows how politicians can use words to deceive the electorates and you rushed here to show us forgetting that we know your antecedent here
You're obviously spoiling for a war of words but I will not give you that satisfaction.

So what If I was a Buhari supporter? Am I not allowed to withdraw my support when he didn't perform as expected? Buhari was supposed to be the lesser of two evils and I don't regret clamouring for change.

Abeg swerve. You no get valid point.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Nobody: 9:49pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ishilove:

You're obviously spoiling for a war of words but I will not give you that satisfaction.

So what If I was a Buhari supporter? Am I not allowed to withdraw my support when he didn't perform as expected? Buhari was supposed to be the lesser of two evils and I don't regret clamouring for change.

Abeg swerve. You no get valid point.
Then stop being an hypocrite. You don't have any right to condenm those gullibles because you were also sold ash as sugar.

I only called you out not war

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by Nobody: 10:00pm On Mar 10, 2017
anonimi:

.............who is also an illiterate bossing a VP who has demonstrated he is more competent by far in the past two months of the dullard's disappearance to London. shocked
Yet some BMC e-warrior zonebees continue to praise him to high heavens with their confusionist propaganda spins.

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/3133111_17515_jpeg7a1bf2295e34488f4ceeeae79295

My anger is that the same gullibles are still roaming the cyberspace with their stupidity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is Why We Need An Enlightened Electorate by TimeManager(m): 10:30pm On Mar 10, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

I agree with you. We even need to correct the lies of this our brother Ben Carson who described slaves, forced to America, as immigrants in search of a better life
cool Kiss the crown! cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photoshop-picture Of President Buhari At Jumat Service In Aso Rock Today Is Fake / See The New Hilarious Cartoon With Nnamdi Kanu _ (shoe Licker) / 20 Years After: 'I Sorry For Nigeria' Song By Fela Anikulapo Kuti (Lyrics/Audio)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.