Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? (2365 Views)

Prophet Oduro Wears Panties In Church To Lecture Married Women / Cameroonian Pastor Caught Having Three-some With 2 Married Women, Paraded Unclad / Catholic Archbishop Of Kampala Warns Women To Stop Beating Their Husbands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by enshy: 1:45pm On Mar 10, 2017
Gen 5:2 says 'Male and Female created he them and blessed them and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created'
Till date, every married woman bears her husbands name. God is Perfect! He gives attention to the minutest details!! Amen!!!
God instituted marriage. Pls let all marry on His terms to enjoy the blessings therein!
There are women who still keep their Father's name in marriage..Is this right?
Please lets read that verse well 'He called THEM Adam'...The wife included called by the name of the husband.
Its a scriptural pattern and not european culture...God instituted it to show the validity of the woman's submission to the man.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by xpmode(m): 2:31pm On Mar 10, 2017
Because I dont now WHY
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by enshy: 9:06pm On Mar 10, 2017
xpmode:
Because I dont now WHY
How do you mean?
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by enshy: 4:11pm On Mar 19, 2017
Women, will you keep you Fathers name in marriage? Men, will you allow your wives keep their Father's name in marriage?
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by luvmijeje(f): 5:23pm On Mar 19, 2017
On issue like this I'll definitely ask for the leading of the Holy Spirit. But if it's left to me I'll love to keep my father's name for a lot of reasons.
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 19, 2017
As much as I deeply love and respect my daddy, I will take the husband's name...if I'm called to marry.
What a woman is saying is that the man who has pledged to honor & protect till death parts them....is worthy for her to become one with him & taking his name is the first part of it. The woman is transferring responsibilty from the "father" to the "husband".
It's symbolic of a sinner becoming saved through Christ & becoming "one" with him.
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by enshy: 9:14pm On Mar 19, 2017
luvmijeje:
On issue like this I'll definitely ask for the leading of the Holy Spirit. But if it's left to me I'll love to keep my father's name for a lot of reasons.
It is written 'God is not an author of confusion'
Will you ask the Holy Spirit to lead you against the scriptures?
My dear, read that verse over again and rather pray the Holy Spirit to give Grace to submit and obey!
I understand why you may want to keep your Fathers name but you put trust in God and not in Fathers name..God help you my dear! You know Ive always respected your Wisdom!!
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by enshy: 9:18pm On Mar 19, 2017
MZLady39:
As much as I deeply love and respect my daddy, I will take the husband's name...if I'm called to marry.
What a woman is saying is that the man who has pledged to honor & protect till death parts them....is worthy for her to become one with him & taking his name is the first part of it. The woman is transferring responsibilty from the "father" to the "husband".
It's symbolic of a sinner becoming saved through Christ & becoming "one" with him.
You are called to marry and you will marry!
A very good Husband..Your own man who will love you deeply as Christ the Church will God give you.
I wont say much but know you will be rewarded by God...Amen!
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by luvmijeje(f): 1:22pm On Mar 20, 2017
enshy:

It is written 'God is not an author of confusion'
Will you ask the Holy Spirit to lead you against the scriptures?
My dear, read that verse over again and rather pray the Holy Spirit to give Grace to submit and obey!
I understand why you may want to keep your Fathers name but you put trust in God and not in Fathers name..God help you my dear! You know Ive always respected your Wisdom!!
Thanks enshy. Apologies for just responding to your post.
Let me ask you a question. Is it fair that after achieving certain things with my father's name that I should now change it to my husband's name after getting married?

For instance, after finishing my doctorate I got married, is it right for me to transfer the glory that should be of God and my father to my husband who never contributed to that achievement?

Note I never said I won't bear it. Everything I'll achieve under him will be under his name but not to things I've achieve before getting married to him.
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Pastafarian: 3:41pm On Mar 20, 2017
enshy:
Gen 5:2 says 'Male and Female created he them and blessed them and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created'
Till date, every married woman bears her husbands name. God is Perfect! He gives attention to the minutest details!! Amen!!!
God instituted marriage. Pls let all marry on His terms to enjoy the blessings therein!

just curious, where is it stated that a woman should drop the Father's name after marriage?

I used to think these are secular laws that eventually influenced religion

the verse you quoted above has next to nothing to do with the issue of changing names
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Aquiprsy: 3:47pm On Mar 20, 2017
enshy:

The decision to keep the maiden name after marriage, is a personal one between the couple.

If the wife decides to retain her maiden name, and the husband gives his consented, so be it.
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Mar 20, 2017
Taking a husbands - and father's - name is a European culture. Names were important to Afrtican culture. In mine, naming a child after a living person is not even allowed. That though stopped with colonization and Europeanization when children were given their fathers name and women their husband's.
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Mar 20, 2017
enshy:

You are called to marry and you will marry!
A very good Husband..Your own man who will love you deeply as Christ the Church will God give you.
I wont say much but know you will be rewarded by God...Amen!

My brother Enshy.. so much zeal..what will I do with you!!? Some Christians never marry....and serve the Lord better single.
Right?
However, you may know something I do not.... smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by xtivin(m): 5:01pm On Mar 20, 2017
In as much as both are perfect, but the male wasn't deceived by the serpent. should the weaker one head the house?, God said both will become one after marriage,that means the weaker has to surrender to the much better which is the man. i have not read a part in my bible where i saw Mrs Jacob, Or Mrs David...Each where addressed by their father name. So name change might not necessary be important but it is needed.
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by enshy: 3:09pm On Mar 21, 2017
MZLady39:

My brother Enshy.. so much zeal..what will I do with you!!? Some Christians never marry....and serve the Lord better single.
Right?
However, you may know something I do not.... smiley
Yes, if God wills and the Grace is given.
However, Gods perfect Will at creation is 'dominion, fruitfulness and multiplication' - Gen 1: 26-28

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by enshy: 3:12pm On Mar 21, 2017
Pastafarian:

just curious, where is it stated that a woman should drop the Father's name after marriage?

I used to think these are secular laws that eventually influenced religion

the verse you quoted above has next to nothing to do with the issue of changing names
Yes it does.
Read the verse well, it says 'he called them(Adam &Eve) Adam'....He called both of them by the name of the Husband!
God made for us all a scriptural pattern which has been adopted for ages now - Its not european, it started from scriptures, God instituted it!
See Prov 22:28 says 'remove not the ancient landmarks which thy fathers have set'

cc: xtivin, Aquiprsy and Muafrika2
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by enshy: 3:24pm On Mar 21, 2017
luvmijeje:

Thanks enshy. Apologies for just responding to your post.
Let me ask you a question. Is it fair that after achieving certain things with my father's name that I should now change it to my husband's name after getting married?

For instance, after finishing my doctorate I got married, is it right for me to transfer the glory that should be of God and my father to my husband who never contributed to that achievement?

Note I never said I won't bear it. Everything I'll achieve under him will be under his name but not to things I've achieve before getting married to him.
Of course change of name begins from the day marriage was consummated.
It really has nothing to do with what you achieved in the past..You dont have to change names on your certificates or documents of properties.
All you do is after marriage, get a change of name documentation which states that you are same person who bears different surnames at different times!
However, be sure there is no tussle of Glory in a xtian marriage. The place of Husband and Father remains but Fathers roles becomes less prominent because you now are someone else's whose desires, visions, ambitions you ought to stand for and pursue.
May God reveal more to you!
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Mar 21, 2017
Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Op - Think of "Adam" as a specie that God just labelled. I think the word also derives from the word "blood" in many ancient languages.

It's like the first cat created being called "cat" then it's offspring being called cat so and so.

It could be ultimately derived from Hebrew אדם ('adam) meaning "to be red", referring to the ruddy colour of human skin, or from Akkadian adamu meaning "to make". According to Genesis in the Old Testament Adam was created from the earth by God (there is a word play on Hebrew אֲדָמָה ('adamah) "earth"wink.
Behind the Name: Meaning, origin and history of the name Adam
https://www.behindthename.com/name/adam

Remember Adam gave Eve a name too - woman
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by enshy: 4:27pm On Mar 21, 2017
Muafrika2:

Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Op - Think of "Adam" as a specie that God just labelled. I think the word also derives from the word "blood" in many ancient languages.

It's like the first cat created being called "cat" then it's offspring being called cat so and so.

Remember Adam gave Eve a name too - woman

My brother, Adam isnt a specie, Adam is a name - Proper noun.
Woman - is a common noun: Eve is the proper noun.
God called both Adam and Eve one name sealing their union, consummation and matrimony! The name is Adam - The Head.
We shouldnt delve much into words lest we lose the meaning inferred here!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Mar 21, 2017
enshy:

God called both Adam and Eve one name sealing their union, consummation and matrimony! The name is Adam - The Head.

I agree....this can cause confusion.
In Christianity, it's a transferral of responsibility from father to husband of his new family. When she takes his name, she's agreeing to his spiritual (and other) leadership over the home. Christ-led men should want to take that role.
I would think that a man would want to do that regardless of religion undecided
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by luvmijeje(f): 4:53pm On Mar 21, 2017
enshy:

Of course change of name begins from the day marriage was consummated.
It really has nothing to do with what you achieved in the past..You dont have to change names on your certificates or documents of properties.
All you do is after marriage, get a change of name documentation which states that you are same person who bears different surnames at different times!
However, be sure there is no tussle of Glory in a xtian marriage. The place of Husband and Father remains but Fathers roles becomes less prominent because you now are someone else's whose desires, visions, ambitions you ought to stand for and pursue.
May God reveal more to you!
Thanks Enshy. I hope you now understand where the leading of the Holy Spirit comes in.
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Mar 21, 2017
enshy:

What other place (I dont think Genesis does that either) in the bible do you find women taking their husbands name?

It would seem they did not interpret your verse as you want
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 21, 2017
This is a European concept, when their lords owned all the lands and the people living in it and named them. They did the same thing when they colonized Africa. That's how Africans have European names angry There is nothing biblical here.
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 21, 2017
Muafrika2:
This is a European concept, when their lords owned all the lands and the people living in it and named them. They did the same thing when they colonized Africa. That's how Africans have European names angry There is nothing biblical here.

So would you say that it's a "European" issue that should not be used in a marriage ceremony? So should the man and woman keep their separate names although they become united as one? It seems to be entering into a union already "separate".
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 21, 2017
Muafrika2:

Although Eve ate the forbidden fruit first, it was Adam who God (although He already knew) called out first for an explanation on what happened.
This shows the responsibility first is given to the man....who then blamed the woman...who then blamed the serpent......

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden.
9 But the LORD God called to the man, “Where are you?”
10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”
11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”
Genesis 3:8-11
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Mar 21, 2017
MZLady39:

Although Eve ate the forbidden fruit first, it was Adam who God (although He already knew) called out first for an explanation on what happened.
This shows the responsibility first is given to the man....who then blamed the woman...who then blamed the serpent......

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden.
9 But the LORD God called to the man, “Where are you?”
10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”
11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”
Genesis 3:8-11
I don't dispute
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 21, 2017
MZLady39:

So would you say that it's a "European" issue that should not be used in a marriage ceremony? So should the man and woman keep their separate names although they become united as one? It seems to be entering into a union already "separate".
Let whoever wants to do it go ahead, but it is not a biblical requirement. Rather, a human tradition.
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 21, 2017
Muafrika2:

Let whoever wants to do it go ahead, but it is not a biblical requirement. Rather, a human tradition.

Ok.....
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by enshy: 8:37pm On Mar 24, 2017
A man whose name is not good enough for you to bear is not good enough to be your husband!
Pls try the next shop!!
Re: Why Do Married Women Bear Their Husbands Name? by enshy: 5:29pm On Apr 02, 2017
A Woman who would not bear her husband's name is not a Mrs...She is a Miss

(1) (Reply)

Why Was SATAN Not Jail In HEAVEN / Do You Have An Immortal Soul? / ⭐⭐ These Powerful Quotes Will Transform Your Life (Updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.