Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,285 members, 7,811,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again (1440 Views)

Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. / BREAKING NEWS: COURT OF APPEAL STOPS SARAKI'S ARREST-NEWSEXPRESSNGR.com / Apc's Reply To Prof Charles Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by Okwyjesus(m): 4:13am On Dec 17, 2009
The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja has once again told Charles Chukwuma Soludo, candidate of the People's Democratic Party (PDP), to perish the thought of becoming the governor of Anambra state in the forthcoming gubernatorial election scheduled for February 6, 2010.
The court this morning restated its earlier order that Mr. Soludo could not feature as the PDP's flag bearer. The ruling followed a suit filed by disaffected aspirants asking the court to determine that Soludo became the PDP’s candidate in an irregular and shady manner.
Our investigations indicate that Soludo was imposed as the PDP candidate by a triumvirate of forces – Umaru and Turai Yar’adua, erstwhile chairman of the PDP board of trustees, Tony Anenih, and former Nigerian Vice President Alex Ekwueme.
Soludo, a controversial former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, was foisted as the governorship candidate after widespread violence and lawsuits led to a stalemate in the party’s primaries.
The court found that the grounds of appeal against Soludo's candidacy were strong and that it would serve the interest of justice if he was restrained from parading himself as the party's candidate.

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4556:court-of-appeal-stops-soludos-candidacy-again&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by prettyG: 7:31am On Dec 17, 2009
the lord is good cheesy
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by citizenY(m): 8:30am On Dec 17, 2009
Methinks Alex Ekwueme should take his mat and fly whisk to the shade and relax. He should
not allow his name to be soiled in this mess. Time and time again, he has been rubbished by
these guys and he keeps staying there.

It is true one should not abandon the house he built with his own hands but what happens
when it is located on a rubbish dump?
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by Caringpro(f): 11:19am On Dec 17, 2009
GOD is a citizen of ANAMBRA STATE! He knows that Mr. Soludo may likely milk Anambra dry to get enough money to pursue his presidential ambition. God also knows that in a free and fair election, Mr.Soludo can not upstage Mr./ Obi but PDP will do all in their power to push him down our throats. This is just the beginning of God's overall liberation for this country!
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by owhizkid: 11:19am On Dec 17, 2009
tank God for that. but come to think of it, the pdp shud just do the primaries to prevent him from going thru all this stress
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:24am On Dec 17, 2009
The Uba criminals and their cohorts are only fighting Soludo because he has made it crystal clear to them that he will not negotiate the treasury of Anambra state with anybody. Let's wait and see hopefully, the stupid ruling by Mary Odili will be overturned.
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by owhizkid: 11:28am On Dec 17, 2009
but then he is not the best man for anambra
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by Unseen(m): 11:30am On Dec 17, 2009
The road is now clear for Ngige and somebody is mentioning Peter Obi.
Mr Obi is far from wining even in a free-est and fairest election.
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:33am On Dec 17, 2009
owhizkid:

but then he is not the best man for anambra

Who is better than Soludo? is it Andy uba or Chris ngige whose notion of development is all about road construction not forgetting the Okija episode or Peter Obi a former bank chairman who chose to transport 250 million naira cash in a car from Awka to Lagos.

This is somebody that has been drawing economic blueprints for other countries and international development agencies.

None of the other contestants match Soludo's pedigree.
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:38am On Dec 17, 2009
SOLUDO IS THE MAN

ANAMBRA 2010: THE SOLUDO SOLUTION

BUILDING THE PROMISED LAND – “THE AFRICAN DUBAI –TAIWAN”

CHUKWUMA CHARLES SOLUDO, CFR

CONTENTS

PART ONE:
Here I Am, Send Me! My Background and Decision to Contest

PART TWO:
The Agenda: My Vision and Programmes for Anambra

PART ONE: Here I Am, Send Me! My Background and Decision to Contest

I believe that God has a purpose and a plan for everyone. From my very humble beginnings, it is only through the grace of God that I could have earned a Distinction grade at the secondary school; a B.Sc (First Class Honours) (Economics); an M.Sc. and a Ph.D (Economics) winning Departmental, Faculty and University awards as best graduating student at the University of Nigeria. I had cumulative four years of post-doctoral training and research in some of the world’s best institutions including the Brookings Institution, Washington, DC; University of Oxford, UK; University of Warwick, UK; Cambridge University as Smuts scholar; UN Economic Commission for Africa; the IMF Research Department, etc. I am a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers (FCIB); Fellow of the Nigerian Economic Society (FNES), and awarded Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) (Honoris Causa) from three Universities. 

I was visiting Associate Professor at Swarthmore College, USA, and promoted Professor of Economics at the age of 38 (University of Nigeria, Nsukka). I lived and worked in Ethiopia, U.K., and the USA and travelled to 45 other countries before joining Government in 2003. As consultant to 18 international organizations (including the World Bank, IMF, OECD Paris, European Union, African Union, USAID, UK-DFID, ADB, IBM Consulting, USA; IDRC Canada; Chemonics International, USA;  United Nations, UNIDO, ECOWAS, COMESA, CODESRIA, UNCTAD; AERC Nairobi) I garnered wide ranging experiences and knowledge. I was also the founding Executive Director of the African Institute for Applied Economics, Enugu. I have to my credit over 80 scholarly publications, 15 books, and over 250 monographs, conference papers and public lectures.

At the Federal Government (2003 – 2009), I held five substantive positions: Chief Economic Adviser to the President; Deputy Chairman/Chief Executive of the National Planning Commission (of ministerial rank by law); Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria; Chairman, Nigeria Security Printing and Minting Company (NSPM), Plc; Founder and Chairman, Africa Finance Corporation (AFC), as well as membership of more than 25 technical/policy committees. These assignments saw us draft the Government’s reform agenda (National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy, NEEDS); massively restructured nonperforming government institutions; rebuilt the CBN and NSPM; revolutionalized the Nigerian banking/financial system; set up a new international financial institution, AFC, and helped to steer the Nigerian economy away from the global financial crisis. For these accomplishments, I have been decorated with scores of awards, including being awarded the African and Global Central Bank Governor of the year, 2006 by the Banker (Financial Times) and the Financial Times of London has described me as “a great reformer”. The Federal Government has conferred the third highest national honour (Commander of the Federal Republic, CFR) on me in 2006--- in recognition of accomplished performance.

Recently, I have served as a member of the United Nations Commission of Experts on the Global Economic and Financial Crisis. Also, I have served as a member of the International Advisory Group for the UK- DFID, and still member of the 7- man Chief Economist Advisory Council of the World Bank.  Immediately after completing my tenure of office as Governor of the Central Bank, I have accepted three international offers.

I served the Federal Government of Nigeria under two Presidents and below are excerpts of what each had to say about my services to Nigeria:

“Charles Soludo is a true Nigerian. He is the sort of Nigerian that we all know we can rely on. Among his numerous virtues is COURAGE. I have found in him a man who can take tough and realistic decisions, stand his ground, educate others on the salience of his decision, and work very hard to ensure that the decision is efficiently and effectively implemented. His dedication to duty is first rate. His leadership qualities are admirable and his willingness to listen and learn is simply infectious.
Professor Soludo has within a short time emerged as one of the leading lights of our nation. Not because he has a godfather but by sheer hard work, loyalty, dedication to duty, commitment to the nation, creativity, and undiluted association with the reform agenda, ”. Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, GCFR (December, 2004)

President Yar’Adua had the following the say about the CBN under my leadership:

“… the CBN has performed creditably well in delivering on its core mandates. This is especially even more so in the last five years. Most people would agree that without the successful banking consolidation and effective management of our foreign reserves, the current global crisis would have shaken the financial system and our national economy to their foundations with calamitous consequences”; President Yar’Adua (May 2009).

In the President’s letter of commendation after completion of my tenure of office, the President had the following to say:

“As your tenure as Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria comes to a glorious end, I write on behalf of the Government and people of Nigeria to place on record our debt of gratitude to you for your dedicated service and uncommon sense of duty over the past five years. I am confident that your worthy antecedents in the CBN and in prior appointments in the service of our nation remain sources of inspiration to an entire generation. As I wish you even more astounding successes in the years ahead, it is my fervent hope that you will readily avail us of your distinguished service when the need arises in the future” (June 2009).

With the above credentials and at 49, I am faced with two choices: to work for myself or to deploy the skills to serve my people.

In 2000 when a prominent American wondered why I was eager to go back to Nigeria instead of settling down to work in the USA, my response was that, if God in His infinite wisdom decided to make me an African/Nigerian, there must be a purpose. That purpose, in my view, could not be fulfilled by living a comfortable life in the United States. I believe that on the judgment day, God will ask how I used the talents and gifts He bestowed upon me to serve Him by leaving society better than I met it. It is not an accident that God decided that I should come from Anambra State/Nigeria.

I volunteer to serve against all that is personally convenient. My family has been evacuated abroad against their will because of the risks arising from my decision to change society. What is personally convenient is to settle abroad as well, take up a few of the international jobs being offered to me and circulate conveniently within the international community, private sector, and academia abroad. But that will only make me happier and safer as a person. This option may continue to leave my people poorer and underdeveloped.
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by tems777: 11:39am On Dec 17, 2009
Please sign up :

Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by tems777: 11:49am On Dec 17, 2009
Please Sign up.
Regards,
Tope
For NaijaSquare.com

1 Like

Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by CarlosVent(m): 11:59am On Dec 17, 2009
who wil make Anambra the Dubai of Africa? Do i hear you say Soludo?
In his first abi second tenure?

Pls Anambrarians now are not push overs. For Christ sake that man has soiled the good name he has built from his tender age. he can never rule anambra that is what am very sure of.

He will milk us very dry that even a primary school student will be paying tax.

Pls NGIGE is the right candidate we need.

PDP cannot and will never capture anambra state again.

Thanks to God that they are now fighting each other.
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by udennaa: 12:07pm On Dec 17, 2009
prettyG:

the lord is good cheesy
all the time/am a witness.He does not sleep.i keep saying it,that the siege of the crooks n armed robbers in anambra state has been broken.the state is no longer for the people deceive people.gbam!
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by jice(m): 12:10pm On Dec 17, 2009
Congratulations Sunny Bobo.
I never knew Soludo has such pedigree.  A wonderful CV and self aggrandizement. But remember that he had not left the said office that stopped meltdown that the wind blew to expose what has been hiding under the fowl feathers, Do have stolen monies which he either covered up or ignorant of?
The  Naira notes scandals nko.
Lets look at it again: how can he build such a wonderful CV only to allow himself into undemocratic process of selection at primaries against the norms of Election?

Remember Books knowledge doesn’t mean a good political leader.

Fashola hasn’t such but he is doing wonderfully here.
Stop crying for Soludo
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by iyaski: 12:22pm On Dec 17, 2009
For me, no matter what ever any one want to say, Prof. Solodo is the most qualified for the job. Let anabarians give hime the chance - i know the way he came in is filled with flawed practice. He has high intellectual property why i can't see in any of the other aspirants. 9ja for ones lets make a good difference with our corruption. 9ja will be great if we have more solodos in our polity.
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by Sunnybobo3(m): 12:24pm On Dec 17, 2009
jice:

Congratulations Sunny Bobo.
A wonderful CV and self aggrandizement. But remember that he had not left the said office that stopped meltdown that the wind blew to expose what has been hiding under the fowl feathers,  

hmmm. Ever heard of global recession? Oh I forgot Soludo must have been responsible for the sub-prime loans that led to the crash of Lehman brothers and co and he also supervised Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) when they posted a loss of 25 billion pounds sterling in their last financial year shocked shocked
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by tk22ng: 12:58pm On Dec 17, 2009
the nigerian political system is mago mago and for the right candidate to win elections it will also be through mago mago.
Soludo is the man for Anambra come 2010.
His C.v is still intact,what he did in CBN was to protect the economy and not to cause panic in the banking sector like Sanusi.Its only time will tell and
Nigerians will get understand what Soludo did for the Economy.This will be the worst Xmas for Nigerians because of Sanusi's actions.
As for the polymer money printing,what proof do you have?Soludo is coming in to break the Stong hold of the Uba's and other criminals holding Anambra hostage.
SOLUDO= SOLUTION
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 17, 2009
any news yet from the Supreme Court?
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:13pm On Dec 17, 2009
mikeansy:

any news yet from the Supreme Court?

No news yet!
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:25pm On Dec 17, 2009
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by Amjustme: 1:54pm On Dec 17, 2009
Mr. Sunny Bobo r u sure u urself ur not Soludo?
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by FrankC3: 3:58pm On Dec 17, 2009
You really expect somebody with that profile here on nairaland?
Re: Court Of Appeal Stops Soludo's Candidacy Again by rawe45: 8:39pm On Dec 18, 2009
APPEAL COURT DISMISSES BODE GEORGE, OTHERS’ BAIL APPLICATION

The court of appeal, Lagos division, on Thursday December 17, in a unanimous ruling dismissed the bail application brought by Chief Olabode George and five others convicted by Justice Olubunmi Oyewole of Lagos High Court on October 26, 2009 over contract splitting, abuse of office and disobedience of lawful order.

The three judges that formed the panel namely Justice Manika Dongba Menson, Justice Paul Adamu Galuge and Justice Hussein Muktar jointly dismissed all the three grounds the convicts’ lawyers gave to support their application for bail.

In the lead ruling delivered by Justice Menson, the Judge said that section 28[1] of the Court of Appeal act gave the court the power to grant bail. She however reviewed the three grounds raised in the consolidated motion for bail and dismissed them as lacking merit.

On the first ground that borders on congestion of cases at the Appeal Court and the likelihood of delay, the Judge punctured this on the basis that what used to cause delay was the compilation of court proceedings, but that with the computerization of the records, it is now very fast and that the case would be given accelerated hearing,. She therefore dismissed the ground as not being a good reason for admitting the convicts to bail.

On the second ground given by the applicants and supported by medical reports saying that all the six convicts were ill, the Judge dismissed it stressing that there was no evidence before the court that their ailments could cause health hazard in the prison or that there was no quarantine facilities in the prison. As such, she said there was no exceptional case to grant the bail.

The third reason raised by the convicts’ lawyers for the reliefs sought which was the same as canvassed in the the substantive suit, was equally dismissed by Justice Menson who said the reason was not enough for the convicts to be admitted to bail since the applicants’ counsel would still raise the same issue during the hearing of the substantive suit.

Although one of the Judges was absent, his ruling which concurred with the lead judgement was ready by the second judge.

Supporters of the applicants who came to the court gorgeously dressed left the court one after the other disappointed after the ruling was given.

The former Chairman of Nigerian Ports Authority [ NPA] and five former members of the NPA board were found guilty in some of the charges leveled against them by the EFCC over their activities while at the helm of affairs of the ports authority. The trial Judge, Justice Oyewole consequently sentenced them to two and a half years imprisonment without an option of fine.

Femi Babafemi

Head, Media & Publicity

SOURCE: http://transparencyng.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=268:bode-george-efcc-press-release&catid=86:crime&Itemid=86

(1) (Reply)

Attorney General Goofs In Court / Abdulmutallab: Nigerians In Uk Live In Panic / Biafra Massob Backs Gaddafi On Split Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.