Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,036 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade (10293 Views)

The 10 Best Nigerian Albums Of 2015 / Most Highly Anticipated Albums Of 2016 / Your Top 5 Nigerian Albums Of All Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by eldee(m): 6:35am On Dec 17, 2009
Feeling extremely patriotic today and decided to pay respect to the true anthems of this decade.
Forget the Bankys and Modenines, these are the albums that actually cut through age, class and ethnicity.

The blueprints left by these albums still shape what we listen to today, even in the least expected places.

They had songs that blended into party scenes and still hit number ones on Lagos Traffic Billboard Charts grin grin
These are the ones I could get off the top of my head, I'm open to corrections and I apologise for any major omissions.

We Before Me - Lagbaja:
Erm . . . this is some that needs no introduction, or does he?? This albm had a fusion of Jazz, Afrobeat and a bit of contemporary urban music. This album was as representing as the word goes and its international success was nothing short of phenomenal.
One of the few albums that managed to keep the party scene live and still hold music's role as a tool for political change in the newly post-military Nigeria.
It's a classic every true fan of good music should own.
With songs like Koko Below, Simple Yes or No, Suru Lere, Gra Gra and Nothing for You, We Before Me has shaped what we have come to know as Afro-pop.

Face 2 Face- Tuface Idibia
Push everything you've heard aside and pay homage to the Thriller of the Sound City era. Name every pop album you've heard from Nigeria, Grass 2 Grace outsold it. This was what people in Africa knew as Nigerian music for a couple of years.

Splitting from Plantashun Boyz gave 2face Idibia the opportunity to flex his imaginative mind with creative freedom. With OJB in charge of the beats, Kennis Music in charge of the sales, this was what Nigeria needed to step into the truly commercial era. A fresh face and the best team in the game as at that time, the only result possible was continent wide tours, marketing deals, over-the-top sales.

Like all other albms on this list, Face 2 Face came with a 'don't push the next button' instruction. From the intro to the end, it gave you a definition of not only Innocent's personal life, but also the state of thing in the country as at that period in time.
With songs like Nfana Ibaga, Ole, U no Holy Pass, Police as album songs, and the appeal of African Queen, Face 2 Face is as good as Afro-pop gets.

Asa - Asa
Just when everyone thought the only workable formula on the Nigerian music scene was the 'place four party tracks' method, Asa came and blows our minds away with one of the most personal but still politically concerned albums since Femi Kuti's Shoki Shoki.

Asa's self titled album gave you an insight into Nigeria from a concerned third-party view. With her unique vocal attributes and world-class producers, it generated a 'we really need this' sigh of relief from the lyrically inclined half of the Nigerian public. This album got international ratings that stood at par with Grammy winners.
Asa's message was simple and clear 'Vanity upon vanity all is vanity'. From the revolution battlecry, J[i]ailer to Fire on The Montain, and Bibanke, Asa[/i] was an album that helped to remind other Nigerian artistes what their true goal should be.

Seven Degrees North - King Sunny Ade
We all know how it works, your party's not getting any big names around if the Juju maestro King Sunny Ade's not present.
He came out of semi-retirement to remind the young ones why he's as popular internationally as he is in Nigeria. Prof KSA as he's called at the university where he lectures now has had his work studied in the world's top universities.

Seven Degrees North is it. How else do you convey deeply rooted African cultural elements to the rest of the world?? For the Non-nigerians, it is proof that music is a universal language. For the lucky few that can understand the beautiful language, it's a blend of African proverbial expressions and musical genius in one piece of art. The bata and gong gong meets the piano and the guitar, it's a marriage made Seven Degrees North. of the earth.

Suku Suku Bam Bam, Appreciation, Solution that's what you get when KSA decides to make music. International acclaims keep pouring in, that's why it's what you need at your party. Merciful God is the reason why the Juju legend still lives on.

Notable Mentions
Gongo Aso - 9ice
No Long Thing - Dbanj
Get Squared - PSquare
Fela: The Anthology - Fela Anikulapo Kuti
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Genuflect(m): 6:51am On Dec 17, 2009
Nice reviews. Even though I would prefer 9ice's Gongo Aso instead of Certificate
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by keldiddy: 7:09am On Dec 17, 2009
Well, 9ice album was just one of the best things that have ever happened to Naija music.

Genuflect, i share thesame view with you on this one.

1 Like

Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Nobody: 8:57am On Dec 17, 2009
Wale- Attention Deficit
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by tosinaded(m): 9:16am On Dec 17, 2009
FL Gators:

Wale- Attention Deficit

hun??
hisssssss

@topic
face 2 face - 2face
we before me - lagbaja
asa - asa
talk about it - M.I
get squared - psquare
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by punchlinee: 9:53am On Dec 17, 2009
FL Gators:

Wale- Attention Deficit

does this fl gators know what they call album sef? u think sa na bum bum they talk? grin
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 17, 2009
tosinaded@:

hun??
hisssssss
punchlinee:

does this fl gators know what they call album sef? u think sa na bum bum they talk? grin

Wetin na?

That's his newest album
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by YME4(m): 11:17am On Dec 17, 2009
9ice, 2baba, eldee, i could go on. Matter of fact, I can't choose. Many things has made me a proud son of the soil in the last decade and music is definitely up there.

Nigeria, We are coming
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by tundewoods(m): 11:22am On Dec 17, 2009

In no particular order,

1.] Faze 1st and 2nd Album
2.] Infinity's Olori Oko
3.] Femi Kuti's Bang Bang Bang
4.] Mode 9's Cry Album
5.] Tu Face Idibia's Grass 2 Grace
6.] Asa's Album
7.] 9ice Gongo Aso
8.] Dare Art Alade's Un-darey-ted
9.] Kel's Investment
10.] Sound Sultan's last album

Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by eldee(m): 11:35am On Dec 17, 2009
tundewoods:

In no particular order,

1.] Faze 1st and 2nd Album
2.] Infinity's Olori Oko
3.] Femi Kuti's Bang Bang Bang
4.] Mode 9's Cry Album
5.] Tu Face Idibia's Grass 2 Grace
6.] Asa's Album
7.] 9ice Gongo Aso
8.] Dare Art Alade's Un-darey-ted
9.] Kel's Investment
10.] Sound Sultan's last album

I already did a full review on the album Shoki-Shoki, Femi Kuti's album that had [i]Beng beng ben[/i]g, but it was released in 1998 so that places it out of contention. Really good album though.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Jarus(m): 11:49am On Dec 17, 2009
Where is Yahoozee
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by ayobase(m): 11:55am On Dec 17, 2009
LAGBAJA.
EBGON!
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by CarlosVent(m): 12:01pm On Dec 17, 2009
hmmmm I think

African Queen is d best by 2 face
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Witi(m): 1:06pm On Dec 17, 2009
Asa-Jailer
Asa-Fire on the Mountain
9ice- Gongo Aso
9ice-Photocopy
Faze-Originality
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by tosinaded(m): 1:31pm On Dec 17, 2009
do people really know wut albums are
some posts here got me thinking grin
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by rockyfela(m): 1:32pm On Dec 17, 2009
plantashun boiz - body and soul
styl plus - olufumi album
2face - face 2 face + grass 2 grace
Dbanj - why me album
Faze - Kolomental album
9ice - Gongo aso
Asa - asa
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by rockyfela(m): 1:33pm On Dec 17, 2009
MI - MR incredible album
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by tosinaded(m): 1:34pm On Dec 17, 2009
rockyfela:

plantashun boiz - body and soul
styl plus - olufumi album
2face - face 2 face + grass 2 grace
Dbanj - why me album
Faze - Kolomental album
9ice - Gongo aso
Asa - asa

how did i skip that cool
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by rockyfela(m): 1:47pm On Dec 17, 2009
lol i know ehn, i was wondering y no one would mention, olufumi.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 17, 2009
In no particular order

2Face - Face2Face, Grass to Grace
Asa - Asa
STYL Plus - Olufunmi
9ice - Gongo Aso
Naeto C - You Know My P
M.I - Talk About It
P Square - Get Squared
Banky W - The W Experience
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by proxies(m): 3:25pm On Dec 17, 2009
Na lbum dem say o, some pple dey post tracks
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by THEAMAKA1: 3:38pm On Dec 17, 2009
i dont really know cause i dont really listen to albums.
just their popular songs that you can find on youtube.
but i would say since ive started listening to naija music, 2face, styl-plus, and P-Square have made some of my favorite naija songs.
ill just say them.

Jarus:

Where is Yahoozee
are you serious? lol
Olu Maintain was garbage!! (in my opinion, others may vary) grin
for me, he only had two songs that i liked and yahooze wasnt one of them.
too loud and what not.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Gspot(m): 4:33pm On Dec 17, 2009
What about d hit "share da national moi moi" by mama G (patience ozokwo) because if we had allowed dat song inspired us, we 4 no send dis bank tchievz wey keep us 4 dis condition. I laugh in vernacular. Lol
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by THEAMAKA1: 4:35pm On Dec 17, 2009
Gspot:

What about d hit "share da national moi moi" by mama G (patience ozokwo) because if we had allowed dat song inspired us, we 4 no send dis bank tchievz wey keep us 4 dis condition. I laugh in vernacular. Lol
OMG!! youre so right!!
abeg, add that to my list!! grin
2face, P-Square, Styl-Plus, and Mama G.
hahahahaha ive been listening to that "National Moi-Moi" VDC since 2007! and im still not tired.
good music.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Abagworo(m): 4:42pm On Dec 17, 2009
even though styl plus olufunmi could go as ep ,it is actually the pace setter to what was to become the most impacting locally produced african album.2face idibia's face2face remains unmatched even by 2baba himself.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Abagworo(m): 4:52pm On Dec 17, 2009
THE.AMAKA:

OMG!! youre so right!!
abeg, add that to my list!! grin
2face, P-Square, Styl-Plus, and Mama G.
hahahahaha ive been listening to that "National Moi-Moi" VDC since 2007! and im still not tired.
good music.

every real person knows that 2face,styl-plus and p-square had the most impact on the music scene across nigeria in the last 10 years.naeto c,ikechukwu and M.I. played their role in the hip-hop genre and should be acknowledged.

2face idibia face2face

p-square get squared

styl-plus olufunmi E.P.

those are the top 3
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by punchlinee: 4:54pm On Dec 17, 2009
they are all quick to open their mouth that somebody album is garbage , nairaland girls shiiiit
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by tosinaded(m): 5:20pm On Dec 17, 2009
even though styl plus olufunmi could go as ep ,it is actually the pace setter to what was to become the most impacting locally produced african album.2face idibia's face2face remains unmatched even by 2baba himself.

pls i dnt get that part of ur post o
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by GNBohr: 5:57pm On Dec 17, 2009
truth be told, most of these people are no musicians, cant play musical instruments, rely on keyboard, have no bands, mime to their own music at their own shows. songs are not inspirational, very odious. How many of these albums get any attention now. watch any local TV stations or listen to local FMs even Nigezie on HiTv and you will understand they are all dead songs. Nobody listens to them much longer, they are now part of history. Which party plays such music again.

They have all been pushed into oblivion by new non-inspirational and odious albums. An album can only be regarded as best of the decades when it is consistently being listened to and video shown regularly through out the years in the decade. None of them qualify. No wonder one of the music awards organised gave Obiwon the song of the decade award. Obiwon himself has not even spend five years on the Nigerian music scene.

For me the Sunny Nneji's album containing the track "Oruka" and Martins' "Olo mi" has been proving worthy of being regarded as Albums of the decade. No weekend pass by in Nigeria without people listening and dancing to those two albums.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by eldee(m): 6:00pm On Dec 17, 2009
Abagworo:

every real person knows that 2face,styl-plus and p-square had the most impact on the music scene across nigeria in the last 10 years.naeto c,ikechukwu and M.I. played their role in the hip-hop genre and should be acknowledged.

2face idibia face2face

p-square get squared

styl-plus olufunmi E.P.

those are the top 3

How can I add an album that had only four songs to the list??
That's unfair to KSA, Femi Kuti and even Wande Coal.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 17, 2009
tosinaded@:

do people really know wut albums are
some posts here got me thinking grin
proxies:

Na lbum dem say o, some pple dey post tracks
angry angry angry angry hmmmm
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by tosinaded(m): 6:07pm On Dec 17, 2009
eldee:

How can I add an album that had only four songs to the list??
That's unfair to KSA, Femi Kuti and even Wande Coal.

four songs or not, that album sure moved and made a huge impact on the naija music scene tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Watch Official VIDEO| D’banj – Emergency / Pls Where Can I Download Some Foreign Old Skool Blues / Rema - Iron Man.(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.