Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ (3728 Views)

Poll: Would You Still Purchase A Beauty Product Knowing The Advert Gives A Misleading Impression Of The Effect The Product Could Achieve?

Yes!: 0% (0 votes)
No Way!!: 66% (6 votes)
Maybe... By Reviews: 33% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Photo!!! Ladies What Can You Say About This Olay!!!! Photos / The Problem With Airbrushing Kim Kardashian / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by mohawkchic(f): 7:05am On Dec 17, 2009

~A magazine ad for an Olay beauty product featuring Twiggy has been banned by the advertising watchdog, after more than 700 complaints gathered for a campaign against airbrushing in ads by the Liberal Democrat MP Jo Swinson.

In the ad, Twiggy, who also fronts Marks & Spencer's TV campaigns, promotes the Procter & Gamble-owned Olay Definity eye illuminator. Her picture appears next to the words: "Olay is my secret to brighter-looking eyes."

"Because younger-looking eyes never go out of fashion ,  reduces the look of wrinkles and dark circles for brighter, younger-looking eyes," the ad continued.

The Advertising Standards Authority received two complaints that the ad was misleading because the image of Twiggy had been digitally retouched.

In addition Swinson forwarded more than 700 complaints, gathered via her anti-airbrushing web campaign, that the ad had was not only misleading but also socially irresponsible, because it could have a "negative impact on people's perceptions of their own body image".

In its ruling, the ASA said that it considered that the post-production retouching of the original ad, specifically in the eye area, could give consumers a "misleading impression of the effect the product could achieve".

A combination of the retouching and the language of the ad was likely to mislead consumers, it ruled.

However, the ASA rejected the complaints that the ad was socially irresponsible, saying: "We considered that consumers were likely to expect a degree of glamour in images for beauty products and would therefore expect Twiggy to have been professionally styled and made-up for the photo shoot, and to have been photographed professionally.

"We concluded that, in the context of an ad that featured a mature model likely to appeal to women of an older age group, the image was unlikely to have a negative impact on perceptions of body image among the target audience and was not socially irresponsible."

P&G said that there would "always be differences between uncomplimentary paparazzi shots and professional beauty photographs".

The company argued that an article in a national newspaper, which featured Twiggy "off-duty" in the Olay ad, may have prompted the complaints.

P&G added that it was "routine practice to use post-production techniques to correct for lighting and other minor photographic deficiencies before publishing the final shots as part of an advertising campaign".

The company said that there had been some "minor retouching" around Twiggy's eyes, which was inconsistent with its own policies; this had already prompted it to withdraw the original ad and replace with one in which there was no post-production work around the eyes.
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by mohawkchic(f): 7:26am On Dec 17, 2009
~What are your thoughts on Airbrushed Pics Used For Beauty Products Adverts?

Lib Dems Call For Ban On Airbrushed Photos

Jo Swinson, chair of the policy working group and MP for East Dunbartonshire, is spearheading a campaign to encourage people to complain to the Advertising Standards Authority and the Committee of Advertising Practice about adverts which portray unrealistic and unhealthy body images, which is backed by a range of organisations, including the National Centre for Eating Disorders, Girlguiding UK and leading academics.

The party conference used its first day of debate to discuss the myriad ways that women are increasingly encouraged to "live up to" unrealistic ideals of beauty and imagery "which often trivialises their position within society".

"What is wrong with requiring advertisers to state that images have been manipulated in the same way that cigarette packet must carry a health warning?"

"Cosmetic surgery rates are rising dramatically as are the numbers suffering from eating disorders. We need to bring some honesty into advertising."

"Big money" was being made from presenting images of "flawless women" with bigger breasts, whiter teeth and perfect skin. "It's dishonest, it's harmful and it has got to change,"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/sep/19/liberal-democrats-airbrush-ban
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by dominique(f): 10:35am On Dec 17, 2009
its not only oil of olay that is guilty of this crime. loreal, garnier, estee lauder etc all do that. why not ban their ads too? even magazines air-brush the pictures of celebs used in their photo spreads.
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 17, 2009
I hope this is a new movement towards real untouched images in magazines and tv. Wrinkle creams dont work, the only thing that helps is Melanin (Thank God im black), good genes, staying out of the sun, sleep and exercise.
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by chika98: 8:53pm On Dec 17, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

I hope this is a new movement towards real untouched images in magazines and tv. Wrinkle creams dont work, the only thing that helps is Melanin (Thank God im black), good genes, staying out of the sun, sleep and exercise.

Madam ebony don talk her own. Tell them jare. The same way Cellulite creams are a Billion Dollar business because the crap doesn't work!!
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 17, 2009
chika98:

Madam ebony don talk her own. Tell them jare. The same way Cellulite creams are a Billion Dollar business because the crap doesn't work!!
And stretch mark creams dont work either. Its a billion dollar industry feeding on the insecurities of women. If you notice, you will see more male product ads, they are not satisfied with milking women, they now want to say if you use their moisturiser and hair product, you can look like the good looking guy from Lost or Greys Anatomy grin. Pathetic. They film mascara ads with false lashes and hair ads with extensions so how are we to believe their products work when they themselves dont believe in their products? grin Glad im wiser now.
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by chika98: 9:09pm On Dec 17, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

And stretch mark creams dont work either. Its a billion dollar industry feeding on the insecurities of women. If you notice, you will see more male product ads, they are not satisfied with milking women, they now want to say if you use their moisturiser and hair product, you can look like the good looking guy from Lost or Greys Anatomy grin. Pathetic. They film mascara ads with false lashes and hair ads with extensions so how are we to believe their products work when they themselves dont believe in their products? grin Glad im wiser now.

Who are you telling? Even Beyonce with her Indian Remmy wan do hair advert too. Wise folks see right through the crap. Embrace your Stretch marks as they are here to stay. Bio Oil doesn't work either. It just fades the skin thereby making it less visible but it doesn't mean that it isn't there!!
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 17, 2009
I'd like to believe Twiggy was oblivious of the extent to which her picture would be doctored.

I've always seen her as one of the (ex)models that's 'real'.

Nonetheless, these companies have a habit of being quixotic. I give the Advertising Standard Authority 'The Horn' for sending the right message our future 'candies'
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 17, 2009
chika98:

Who are you telling? Even Beyonce with her Indian Remmy wan do hair advert too. Wise folks see right through the crap. Embrace your Stretch marks as they are here to stay. Bio Oil doesn't work either. It just fades the skin thereby making it less visible but it doesn't mean that it isn't there!!
Bio oil does feck all for black women grin. Aunty beyonce tells us our natural hair can look like her lace wig or Eva Longoria tells us that our lashes can look like the falsies she wears in her ads. Its all an illusion thank God we are wiser and can see through the crapery that these industries are pushing.
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 17, 2009
^^^ You seem to know alot about stretch marks and cellulite.
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 17, 2009
^^^^^
Women talk grin
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 17, 2009
Women talk

I guess women problem as well.
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 11:03pm On Dec 17, 2009
Dont you men have problems too "coughs" Size etc grin
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 17, 2009
Hmmmm

Says alot about the men you know
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 17, 2009
grin Your funny grin but im sure you know what I mean wink wink
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 17, 2009
I do not read minds ma'am
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Akebulan: 11:17pm On Dec 17, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

i sure do hope so too
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 11:22pm On Dec 17, 2009
OMO IBO:

I do not read minds ma'am
Uhmmmm grin
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 1:02am On Dec 18, 2009
Are these ppl serious?
Its okay, but there are worst problems out there.

Anything to take their economic depression on undecided
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 1:53am On Dec 18, 2009
FL Gators:

Are these ppl serious?
Its okay, but there are worst problems out there.

Anything to take their economic depression on undecided
The people complaining probably bought the product based on the advert and claims. That photoshopped image is Twiggy who looks like she is nearer 30 than 60.
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 1:58am On Dec 18, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

The people complaining probably bought the product based on the advert and claims. That photoshopped image is Twiggy who looks like she is nearer 30 than 60.

But they can't ban the Ad. Dont advertisers have freedom of expression etc.
I know  that advertisers have their own law to protect them and provide them  the right to not tell the truth when they advertise. As long as it doesnt do any harm.

These ppl are prolly silly enough to believe that the product will make them look younger and beautiful.
Like hello, 99.99995 of pictures in magazine, TV, and ADs are photo-shopped/ airbrushed.

What are they going to do, ban all airbrushed adverts?  undecided
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by mohawkchic(f): 2:14am On Dec 18, 2009
~Me think its a worthy cause tho. . .some extracts

Lib Dems Call For Ban On Airbrushed Photos

Jo Swinson, chair of the policy working group and MP for East Dunbartonshire, is spearheading a campaign to encourage people to complain to the Advertising Standards Authority and the Committee of Advertising Practice about adverts which portray unrealistic and unhealthy body images, which is backed by a range of organisations, including the National Centre for Eating Disorders, Girlguiding UK and leading academics.

The party conference used its first day of debate to discuss the myriad ways that women are increasingly encouraged to "live up to" unrealistic ideals of beauty and imagery "which often trivialises their position within society".

"What is wrong with requiring advertisers to state that images have been manipulated in the same way that cigarette packet must carry a health warning?"

"Cosmetic surgery rates are rising dramatically as are the numbers suffering from eating disorders. We need to bring some honesty into advertising."

"Big money" was being made from presenting images of "flawless women" with bigger bosoms, whiter teeth and perfect skin. "It's dishonest, it's harmful and it has got to change"
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 18, 2009
FL Gators:

But they can't ban the Ad. Dont advertisers have freedom of expression etc.
I know  that advertisers have their own law to protect them and provide them  the right to not tell the truth when they advertise. As long as it doesnt do any harm.

These ppl are prolly silly enough to believe that the product will make them look younger and beautiful.
Like hello, 99.99995 of pictures in magazine, TV, and ADs are photo-shopped/ airbrushed.

What are they going to do, ban all airbrushed adverts?  undecided

Well my dear people have been believing that there is that miracle portion that will eliminate wrinkles because of the lies of the advertising industry, sometimes they use an older woman and airbrush her to the max like Twiggy or use a 25 yr old girl to advertise a wrinkle product targeted for the over 50s. Its ridiculous and it has to stop. Personally I stopped buying magazines because of that. This may be a new movement towards untouched images in the future grin
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Sissy3(f): 1:41am On Dec 19, 2009
at least if you are going to lie, cook it very welll and add tasty ind. to it to make it believable.

shes is 60 and no single  line or crows feet? give me a break!

@ Silk

the problem with these types of ads we see in the media all the time is that they portray unrealistic and unattainable ideals of beauty for women and girls to pursue and achieve. and it kills the body image of many women,especially young girls who think they arent good enough or beautiful enough because they havent achieved that ideal standard of beauty. it is a silent of killer of self esteem and self worth.

so am glad the ad was taken off. enough with all these yeye beauty ideals. i wish many others could also follow suite.
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by oge4real(f): 8:25pm On Dec 19, 2009
Ok, what are we going to do about those advertising hair relaxers with models wearing weaves?
Re: ~ Olay Advert Banned Over Airbrushing! ~ by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 20, 2009
~Sissy~:

@ Silk

the problem with these types of ads we see in the media all the time is that they portray unrealistic and unattainable ideals of beauty for women and girls to pursue and achieve. and it kills the body image of many women,especially young girls who think they arent good enough or beautiful enough because they havent achieved that ideal standard of beauty. it is a silent of killer of self esteem and self worth.

so am glad the ad was taken off. enough with all these yeye beauty ideals. i wish many others could also follow suite.
Ebonyeyes:

Well my dear people have been believing that there is that miracle portion that will eliminate wrinkles because of the lies of the advertising industry, sometimes they use an older woman and airbrush her to the max like Twiggy or use a 25 yr old girl to advertise a wrinkle product targeted for the over 50s. Its ridiculous and it has to stop. Personally I stopped buying magazines because of that. This may be a new movement towards untouched images in the future grin

Oh I see.

oge4real:

Ok, what are we going to do about those advertising hair relaxers with models wearing weaves?
Lol good question

(1) (Reply)

Keeping Your Hairline Intact / Wholesale Goods Needed. / House Of Dqueens (beads, Wigs And Jewelries)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.