Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,957 members, 7,835,195 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation (1698 Views)

O2 Sensor (oxygen Sensor) Importance And Functions / 'Grinding' Sound On Engine / Check On Engine History. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by vicdom(m): 12:35am On Mar 11, 2017
My fellow nairalanders, I sincerely want to share a very teriible experience about my engine hesitation.
My C-320 Benz developed engine stalling issues since June last year, but thanks to God it has been pust to rest today...
This was a very awful car experience I have ever experienced in my life. Because there were several trial and errors by the halfbacked mechanics which has in turns gulfed out humongous amount of money during that time.
From fuel nozzles-spark plugs- mass air flow meter- crankshaft- gear oil- fuel pump and filters etc.
The miracle occurred today, as I shared my experience with my friend who has same model of my car, it then turned out to be that he has had similar issues with his car.
Just cranking sensor, and everything was put to rest. Cranking sensor helps the fuel nozzles to open with an even air-fuel ratio.

Who else has had this similar problem with his car should add to my write-up. Thankz
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by calculation(m): 9:44am On Mar 11, 2017
Am facing my own now, but my car is nissan primera and unable to source correct sensor.
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by nurey(m): 10:30am On Mar 11, 2017
This issue is the reason why you should always scan an OBD complaint car, it will save you the hassle and headache. A simple scan would have given a crank sensor code.

Well I have had same issue with a Nissan Almera, crank sensor was changed and same issue, there were actually 2 and I only changed 1 same issue until the second was traced and I found out it was just the wiring that gave way probably due to contact with heated engine body. grin
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by layifioren(m): 11:03am On Mar 11, 2017
nurey:
This issue is the reason why you should always scan an OBD complaint car, it will save you the hassle and headache. A simple scan would have given a crank sensor code.

Well I have had same issue with a Nissan Almera, crank sensor was changed and same issue, there were actually 2 and I only changed 1 same issue until the second was traced and I found out it was just the wiring that gave way probably due to contact with heated engine body. grin

The diagnostic tool doesn't always pin point the problem but it is a starting point. Thank God there is Google though, you can search for possible causes when it is not quite obvious.
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by stephcruse(m): 3:08pm On Mar 11, 2017
Thank god you know now, but did you know that sometimes when you advice to Scan before any touching most of the time the response you get is I know one guy that will not scan and he will touch and the car will be fine,the truth is that scanning your car should be the first thing to do especially when you have issue with engine, transmission ,tpms,air bag,abs, electrical,electronic performance etc. Stephcruise 08038042709
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by vicdom(m): 4:01pm On Mar 11, 2017
layifioren:

The diagnostic tool doesn't always pin point the problem but it is a starting point. Thank God there is Google though, you can search for possible causes when it is not quite obvious.

Broh, even the so called Google I visited for the possible causes never mentioned ' cranking sensor' but 'cranking shaft'.
I believe now that a problem can come in several ways bro
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by vicdom(m): 4:06pm On Mar 11, 2017
calculation:
Am facing my own now, but my car is nissan primera and unable to source correct sensor.
Broh, it's a bad experience I will not even wish my enemy. You believe I couldn't use A/C throughout that period. Once I put it on, the engine won't move at all. I could hardly run to over the small vehicle but only the heavy duty ones.
What actions have you taken so far??
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by calculation(m): 4:39pm On Mar 11, 2017
vicdom:

Broh, it's a bad experience I will not even wish my enemy. You believe I couldn't use A/C throughout that period. Once I put it on, the engine won't move at all. I could hardly run to over the small vehicle but only the heavy duty ones.
What actions have you taken so far??

My Brother, in a bid to solve the problem which lasted for 8 months the main problem was discovered after scanning to be cam shaft and crank shaft sensor. All effort to source for it was leading to getting the problem solve produce no result. Already the vehicle is abandon because am not even enjoying the driving on road, the most annoying part is the car perform well as if no problem at all when the rpm is 2.
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by calculation(m): 4:41pm On Mar 11, 2017
nurey:

Pls how do you source for that sensor and what is your engine code for that nissan almera?
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by nurey(m): 4:56pm On Mar 11, 2017
calculation:

Pls how do you source for that sensor and what is your engine code for that nissan almera?

I used a Nissan Almera N16 2000 model with QG15DE.
The sensor was sold then in Lagos for 2500 per pair while I bought a pair in kano for 4000 naira. It comes with two sensor, one on top and the other below, it's engine is similar to Nissan sunny though there are remarkable difference
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by calculation(m): 6:50pm On Mar 11, 2017
nurey:

I used a Nissan Almera N16 2000 model with QG15DE.
The sensor was sold then in Lagos for 2500 per pair while I bought a pair in kano for 4000 naira. It comes with two sensor, one on top and the other below, it's engine is similar to Nissan sunny though there are remarkable difference
Pls can you help me source the pair in lagos?
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by nurey(m): 6:58pm On Mar 11, 2017
calculation:

Pls can you help me source the pair in lagos?

1. The Nissan engine has variant is yours really the 1.5L or 1.8L?

2. Those engine are different from each other but am not sure of the sensor

3. When they worked on my engine the mechanic was adamant that nissan engine is stubborn, he may change the sensor and the car may not start

4. I am not a technician and it will be hard for me to buy the sensor and send to you since I can't even identify quality one. If it doesn't work, you will then way bill it back again wasting money.

So what I want you to do is tell me the model and year of your Nissan. What is the trouble you are experiencing. Has the car been scanned for error codes. Is the technician currently working on it knowledgeable enough and where is the car located.
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by Denn(m): 9:34pm On Mar 11, 2017
vicdom:

Broh, even the so called Google I visited for the possible causes never mentioned ' cranking sensor' but 'cranking shaft'.
I believe now that a problem can come in several ways bro

There is nothing called cranking sensor or cranking shaft.

There is the Crankshaft. It is the main shaft in the engine to which all pistons are connected via the connecting rod.

There is a Crankshaft position sensor that senses the position of the crankshaft at all times. This assists in knowing which of the cylinders is ready for intake stroke (for fuel air mixture ingress) and power stroke (to enable proper spark).

There is also the camshaft sensor that monitors the position of the camshaft and adjusts the timing accordingly especially in variable valve timing systems.

As said earlier by some posters, the first step is vehicle diagnosis by a professional.

You have Google, yet you don't treat all personal ailments at home, why should you subject your car to trial and error?

1 Like

Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by calculation(m): 1:21pm On Mar 12, 2017
nurey:

1. The Nissan engine has variant is yours really the 1.5L or 1.8L?

2. Those engine are different from each other but am not sure of the sensor

3. When they worked on my engine the mechanic was adamant that nissan engine is stubborn, he may change the sensor and the car may not start

4. I am not a technician and it will be hard for me to buy the sensor and send to you since I can't even identify quality one. If it doesn't work, you will then way bill it back again wasting money.

So what I want you to do is tell me the model and year of your Nissan. What is the trouble you are experiencing. Has the car been scanned for error codes. Is the technician currently working on it knowledgeable enough and where is the car located.

The car is Nissan primera P11-144 with QG18DE engine, meaning it has 1.8 engine capacity. Also as for your mechanic's point, i have procure 4 sensors and yet non of them is able to produce result for me. The car was scan and the result were P0340 or P0335 pointing to cam and crank shafts sensor, but what I observed was if one is changed and the scanner is use to clear check engine light, the next running of engine will generate the other code. Presently now the code is P0340 ie camshaft sensor and the engine face a lot of hesitation as if it is starve of fuel, even when the throttle pedal is press 100%, it will not respond accordingly and all this will happen when the rpm is below 2, but above 2 the car performance is okay. Though am planning to source change both sensor with another pair order from online by tomorrow morning to see if there will be change in car performance. Also your suggestion will highly be welcome. Thanks for your concern.
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by nurey(m): 2:21pm On Mar 12, 2017
calculation:

The car is Nissan primera P11-144 with QG18DE engine, meaning it has 1.8 engine capacity. Also as for your mechanic's point, i have procure 4 sensors and yet non of them is able to produce result for me. The car was scan and the result were P0340 or P0335 pointing to cam and crank shafts sensor, but what I observed was if one is changed and the scanner is use to clear check engine light, the next running of engine will generate the other code. Presently now the code is P0340 ie camshaft sensor and the engine face a lot of hesitation as if it is starve of fuel, even when the throttle pedal is press 100%, it will not respond accordingly and all this will happen when the rpm is below 2, but above 2 the car performance is okay. Though am planning to source change both sensor with another pair order from online by tomorrow morning to see if there will be change in car performance. Also your suggestion will highly be welcome. Thanks for your concern.

If the mechanic opened your engine then timing is off as its chain driven, it's not like belt you have to position the chain and it's sprockets to default if not, you are just wasting your time.

1. The engine may take long to start
2. The engine will start but the rpm will be off the charts, if you load the engine, it will just die.

Try the new sensor but if the engine was opened I am leaning towards the timing is off.

Check this link for same problem and solution

https://www.nairaland.com/1899154/nissan-primera-p11-144-engine-not
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by calculation(m): 6:03pm On Mar 20, 2017
nurey:

If the mechanic opened your engine then timing is off as its chain driven, it's not like belt you have to position the chain and it's sprockets to default if not, you are just wasting your time.

1. The engine may take long to start
2. The engine will start but the rpm will be off the charts, if you load the engine, it will just die.

Try the new sensor but if the engine was opened I am leaning towards the timing is off.

Check this link for same problem and solution

https://www.nairaland.com/1899154/nissan-primera-p11-144-engine-not

nurey, At this point I want to appreciate your effort in helping me to solve the problem. After changing the sensor, the engine came to life without misbehavior again, i have been driving it for the past 3 days now without any problem. Thanks once again
Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by AutoElectNG: 6:46pm On Mar 20, 2017
layifioren:

That is why this popular technician resource underhoodservice.com once said "...codes should be used in conjunction with proper diagnostic procedures, scanner readings and technical information. All circuits and components should be thoroughly tested before replacement of any components."

Re: Cranking Sensor Importance On Engine Hesitation by nurey(m): 7:35pm On Mar 20, 2017
calculation:

nurey, At this point I want to appreciate your effort in helping me to solve the problem. After changing the sensor, the engine came to life without misbehavior again, i have been driving it for the past 3 days now without any problem. Thanks once again

It's good to hear that. I am glad to be of service, enjoy your car. Stay blessed.

(1) (Reply)

Kindly Help Choose Between VW Sharan, Ford, Seat, Etc / Why It Is Very Easy To Steal A Keyless Entry Car And How To Protect Ur Car / Extremely High Fuel Consumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.