Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Things You Never Really Knew About William Shakespeare - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Things You Never Really Knew About William Shakespeare (823 Views)

Top 20 Timeless Quotes From The William Shakespeare / 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare / Romeo And Juliet By William Shakespeare Summary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Never Really Knew About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 11, 2017
We all grew up to learn about William Shakespeare either from our parents or from our literature classes while in school.

I read most literature books from Buchi Emecheta to Chinua Achebe to Mariama Ba, but the only plays I read was from Shakespeare!

The first play I read from him was Macbeth, and I remember thinking what a great playwright he really was!

But the man Shakespeare appears to be some kind of extraordinary being especially with the language he used in all his writings.

He was indeed a great poet, playwright of so many plays; I am yet to read up to ten of them!

Shakespeare was born in England in Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire, but nobody knew the actual year he was born.

He died in April 1616 and was buried in a church compound in Stratford-upon-Avon where he was born.

He attended Stratford grammar school where he learned to read and write and also learned Latin, but his children were illiterates!

He never really went to a college or had a university degree but, had good knowledge about international affairs.

Historians and theorists have always thought the name ‘’William Shakespeare was a fraud, it never existed!

That some person was using the name as a front for himself, or else how could someone who never went to a college know so much!

Theorists believed that one author who didn’t want publicity was using the name as front to conceal his true identity.

People who were suspected to have used the name as a front include Christopher Marlowe, Edward De Vere, Mary Sidney Herbert and Francis bacon.

I don’t believe all this, even though there are some elements of truth in it, but in all William Shakespeare was a force to reckon with!

Even some literary historians and scholars are skeptical about these suspicions but, they believed he collaborated with other playwright.

At the age of eighteen, he married an older woman, who was eight years older than him and they had three children together.

They first had a daughter named Susanna and a set of twins named Hamnet and Judith, but, Hamnet later died of an unknown illness.

Shakespeare spelled his name in different ways from ‘’Shaxberd’’ to ‘’Shappere.’’ So people always thought they spelled it wrongly!

Instead of writing his name as William Shakespeare, he uses different variations as ‘’Willm Shakp’’ or ‘’Willm Shakspere.’’

People never knew Shakespeare actually wore a gold hoop earring but, a closer look at some of his painted portraits confirms it!

Shakespeare has no direct descendants alive today, his daughter Susanna had a daughter who married twice and never had a child before she died.

His second daughter Judith got married and had three sons but, sadly all of the three boys died leaving Shakespeare with no direct descendant!

It was Shakespeare who introduced some of the phrases we use in today sentences like ‘’love is blind’’, ‘’heart of gold,’’ ‘’wild goose chase’’ etc.

Shakespeare is popularly referred to as ‘’the Bard,’’ probably by literary historians and theorist.

He was a good business man aside writing plays and poems, he owned properties which are still visited today!

He also owned shares; he was a shareholder in Blackfriars theater and the Globe theater in England.

Shakespeare would be learned and read about for more generations to come and that makes him (to me) the world’s greatest legend!

Source: http://www.chichiuncensored.com/things-never-really-knew-william-shakespeare/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Things You Never Really Knew About William Shakespeare by illicit(m): 2:59pm On Mar 11, 2017
I dont understand the part where you said his existence is been disputed, if so, how was it ascertained that hr had daughters and owned properties and was buried in a church, confusing
Re: Things You Never Really Knew About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 3:07pm On Mar 11, 2017
illicit:
I dont understand the part where you said his existence is been disputed, if so, how was it ascertained that hr had daughters and owned properties and was buried in a church, confusing

Historians think the name ''William Shakespeare'' was a forged name by some person to use it to write his own story, understand now?
Re: Things You Never Really Knew About William Shakespeare by Divepen1(m): 3:23pm On Mar 11, 2017
Hmm. Enlightening
Re: Things You Never Really Knew About William Shakespeare by illicit(m): 3:36pm On Mar 11, 2017
Chaiomsy:

Historians think the name ''William Shakespeare'' was a forged name by some person to use it to write his own story, understand now?
not yet, who was buried at that churchyard then, I believe those writers you mentioned had verifiable graves, did any of them marry the older woman too and had daughters by her?
Re: Things You Never Really Knew About William Shakespeare by ReneeNuttall(f): 3:42pm On Mar 11, 2017
I never really understood his methods of writing then,until recently.

(1) (Reply)

The Tortoise And The Sheep By Alphonso Olasumbo / The Goat Bride (flash Fiction) / Love Affair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.