Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,445 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers (6281 Views)

Land Grabbers (Omo Onile) Storm Idimu, Lagos (Pictures) / CURBING THE MENACE OF ESTATE AGENTS IN NIGERIA / Land Grabbers Destroy Houses In Ajao Estate, Lagos (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Nobody: 6:28am On Mar 13, 2017
Buying a piece of land in Lagos state and putting up a structure on same is usually a tall order, no thanks to the belligerent activities of land grabbers and land speculators popularly known as “Omo-Onile” who make life unbearable for intending house owners through their voracious frivolous demands. There have been many instances where unsuspecting buyers paid for land only to be told to come and pay again to reclaim their land, or settle some aggrieved family members who were not factored into the sharing formula of the previous payment. “Omo Oniles” simply have no regard for the law of the land as they have become a law unto themselves charging and fining prospective land owners’ different absurd bills as it pleases them.
Lagosians can however smile and be relieved, as Governor Ambode on the 15 th of August, 2016, signed into law, the LAW PROHIBITING FORCEFUL ENTRY AND ILLEGAL OCCUPATION OF LANDED PROPERTIES IN THE LAGOS STATE.
This new Law protects the proprietary rights of Land and Property owners in Lagos
State and also criminalizes actions of forceful and unlawful entry or occupation of premises.The law states in Section 2(1), that – “ As from the commencement of the law, no one shall use force or self-help to take over any landed property or engage in any act inconsistent with the proprietary right of the owner in the State. Anyone who commits such offence is liable to ten (10) years imprisonment.
Also, persons in illegal occupation of premises who also fail to leave the property commit an offence and are liable to a fine of N5,000,000 (Five Million Naira) and/or up to five (5) years imprisonment.
Further to this, the State government set up a task force committee to enforce the law in the state. Speaking while inaugurating the Task Force, the State’s Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Adeniji Kazeem, said henceforth, anybody who uses threat of arms or physical threat to dispossess people of their legitimate property will be treated as criminals in accordance with Sections 52, 53 and 281 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State.
“Furthermore, the need to protect investors and maintain law and order also led to the setting up of the Committee. This, by implication, will encourage the verification of legal claims through litigation rather than resorting to violence,” the Attorney General explained. The Task Force, according to Kazeem, can be reached on 09096667123 and 09020085005 and on email address via omoonileTF@lagosstate.gov.ng.
While we reckon that there are a number of extant laws that deal with land grabbing, we commend this renewed focus on the need to smoke the miscreants out of
Lagos. We call on the government to fully implement the law and not rest on its oars until the evil is fully extirpated. More fundamentally, government must dislodge all the artificial grid locks erected by corrupt agents and agencies on the process of obtaining
certificates of occupancy. Absence of this certificate lionizes land grabbers in a way.
We also acknowledge that because Lagos is becoming too hot for the land grabbers, they are migrating to contiguous states like Oyo and Ogun. We call on the helmsmen in these states to take a cue from Lagos and face the menace and its patrons headlong. If only the dislocation, tears and sorrows that land grabbers sow in several homes were factored into the social disequilibrium plaguing society, governments would be more than inclined to arrest this pest with all the energy at their disposal.

Sources:
www.seyekehinde.org/our-battles-with-omo-oniles-in-lagos-2-hrs-with-chairman-task-force-on-land-grabbers-akinjide-bakare/

www.thenigerialawyer.com/the-lagos-law-on-land-grabbers/

www.lagosstate.gov.ng/blog/2017/02/19/lagos-and-the-nuisance-of-land-grabbers-2/

www.informationng.com/2016/06/lagos-sets-up-task-force-to-tackle-land-grabbers.html

www.naijapropertiesonline.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 13, 2017
The Lagos state law works in paripasu with the criminal law of Lagos state. To give more effect to the criminal law which has been with little effect on the subject matter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 13, 2017
Semi and fully detached four (4) bedroom duplexes with all rooms ensuite and BQ, are up for sale.
Faculties: Gym, swimming pool and event centre.
Flexible payment options available.

Call/WhatsApp: +2348075256644
Info@naijapropertiesonline.com
www.naijapropertiesonline.com/listings/2nd-toll-gate-ochid-hotel-road-eleganza/

1 Share

Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Nobody: 6:51am On Mar 14, 2017
Just like every law.. it has it's own defects too.
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Alleviating: 7:14am On Mar 14, 2017
sad
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Flexherbal(m): 7:15am On Mar 14, 2017
"Governor Ambode on the 15 th of August, 2016, signed into law, the LAW PROHIBITING FORCEFUL ENTRY AND ILLEGAL OCCUPATION OF LANDED PROPERTIES IN THE LAGOS STATE. "

Nice one!

1 Like

Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Badgers14: 7:17am On Mar 14, 2017
Passing a law is one thing, enforcing the law is another thing..

Do you know the omonile boys don't just wake up onr morning going about demanding for payment, they are someone's employee.

Some body is directing their actions usually the traditional rulers , Baale... So anything to curb the menance have to be directed to real culprits and not the foot soldiers.

6 Likes

Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by mokaflex(m): 7:17am On Mar 14, 2017
Sb
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by princemillla(m): 7:17am On Mar 14, 2017
Will they ever comply with lagos state on this? I doubt
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by bsonenterprise: 7:19am On Mar 14, 2017
I think when you've done something a million times you should become wiser. I'm not a lawyer but I've sold and bought and flipped several properties. Here is what I do.
1. I investigate the omo onile. Are they mischief makers, and what is their record like with other land buyers.
2. I investigate the land. Is it originally the family's? Coz if someone sells my fatherland I will grab it back. Please make sure you are buying from a bona-fide omo onile. And that isn't enough, check their history. And ensure they are educated people. Don't buy lands from thugs and illiterates who don't know the meaning of the law.
3. And after agreeing to buy, and employing a decent lawyer, I tell the entire family I want to do video coverage and documentary during the payment. I get a video phone and snap as many pictures as possible while you hand them the cash.
4. Make sure on the land agreement you enlist at least one or two members of your family or colleagues who are police officers or military members, as witnesses. And let the omo onile be aware.
5. Fees like foundation fees etc must not be easily paid, you must ensure you frustrate them. If they want 10k, pay 500 naira let them feel you don't have anything for them.
6. And ensure you fence your land, don't pay a land and disappear for ten years. Omo oniles ate jobless folks and don't want to work, afterall they have lands and can always sell. Now if you don't do something on your land fast, they at first pour some sands on your land, if no one shows, they then put blocks, and when you still don't show, they presume your dead, and they sell off the land. So always make sure that you are not greedy when buying land. Instead of two plots you can't build, buy one. Instead of one, buy half you can fast develop. A woman near my house here at Ajah bought two plots and gave been sand filling for years, now their is an issue, and we even discovered we never collected a receipt or purchased from the bonafide omo onile.
7. And don't be friendly with them. Their prayer is you die and dont use your land. This isn't a SW or SS thing, I witnessed a northern in Gwarimpa saying he wished the owner of a land had truly died so he can resell to someone else.
8. And don't forget, omo onile are people. They have fear and their limits too. You give power to them. Don't ever beg them when you have a clash, just get a lawyer or use the law to threaten them. Who doesn't want peace of mind?

This is my humble contribution. And I have several plots of safe, secure and gazetted and cheap plots going for 400k to 500k at ibeju, badagry, ifo, itori and ilogbo for sale.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Thebrightest(m): 7:20am On Mar 14, 2017
JUST BUDGET 10MILLION FOR OMO-ONILE while plannimg the house
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by money121(m): 7:21am On Mar 14, 2017
grin
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Nobody: 7:25am On Mar 14, 2017
PropertiesNaija:
The Lagos state law works in paripasu with the criminal law of Lagos state. To give more effect to the criminal law which has been with little effect on the subject matter.

Thank you for the word "Paripassu", I have increased my command of her queens language.

1 Like

Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Lexyteejay: 7:26am On Mar 14, 2017
This of course is working in Lagos State. It would be great if same can be implemented nationwide 'cos this same set of pests are indeed a menace to the Ogun state prospective land owners.
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Nobody: 7:30am On Mar 14, 2017
Be careful when you deal with those useless for nothing dickheads.

They sold all their lands and spent the money on liquor, vehicles and women. Immediately they went broke, they plan with another family to come up with some super story of them winning a shitty court case and all land owner must pay some crazy amount of money to re purchase from the winner. Empty plot would be forcefully sold to someone else if the owner can't come up with 2m, if you have a building erected on your land is 500K. Imagine that nonsense.
That happened in Lagos state around Igando/Akesan along Iyana-Iba Rd. The kind of awori for that area na die, illiterate and always hungry.

I know some of dia pickin dey on here too, make una kill yourself.

1 Like

Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by sakalisis(m): 7:35am On Mar 14, 2017
Ok
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by teepain: 7:45am On Mar 14, 2017
Lexyteejay:
This of course is working in Lagos State. It would be great if same can be implemented nationwide 'cos this same set of pests are indeed a menace to the Ogun state prospective land owners.

Similar laws are already in force in Ogun and Oyo states.
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by bsonenterprise: 7:46am On Mar 14, 2017
fuckerstard:

They sold all their lands and spent the money on liquor, vehicles and women. Immediately they went broke, they plan with another family to come up with some super story of them winning a shitty court case and all land owner must pay some crazy amount of money to re purchase from the winner. Empty plot would be forcefully sold to someone else if the owner can't come up with 2m, if you have a building erected on your land is 500K. Imagine that nonsense.
That happened in Lagos state around Igando/Akesan along Iyana-Iba Rd. The kind of awori for that area na die, illiterate and always hungry.

They do this a lot, it's an old land scam used by them. The best way to go about this is to sue the current omo onile. When you have a good lawyer, he does your sales agreement so airtight you have something amortifiction clause in it. This means, if you ever lose that land, whatever the value of your property is in the future, the omo onile must pay for it. When you have sound lawyers and you investigate the omo onile you don't have an issue. And always buy from educated ones, not thugs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by BecomeALandLord(m): 7:59am On Mar 14, 2017
Nice write up op

For those intending of buying properties,
Please Save yourself the trouble of this omo nile by investing and buying genuine plots of land from a reputable real estate development firm like the one I represent..... SalesCraft Properties Ltd

We have many estates in Lagos, ogun and delta state and clients have started their buildings without any form of omo nile issue what so ever.

Be wise.... Say no to omo niles

Read my signature for more information
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 14, 2017
fuckerstard:

Experienced one around dat axis,
An igbo man was being threatened to settle anoda set of omo onile after giving 1 set 500k to begin foundation on the land.
One thing about dat axis is, if u own a land dere n u Wanna start work on ur land
Before u do, visit the baale n tell him ur motive n offer him reasonable amount of money n he will give u his boys that will stay with u anytime u want to work on ur Land so those illiterate omo onile will not come to disturb u......

Eradicating those people isn't an easy task unless they are educated....

1 Like

Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by ELShehzad: 9:15am On Mar 14, 2017
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by manchester1: 9:41am On Mar 14, 2017
story story
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by okunfemm(m): 10:29am On Mar 14, 2017
bsonenterprise:
I think when you've done something a million times you should become wiser. I'm not a lawyer but I've sold and bought and flipped several properties. Here is what I do.
1. I investigate the omo onile. Are they mischief makers, and what is their record like with other land buyers.
2. I investigate the land. Is it originally the family's? Coz if someone sells my fatherland I will grab it back. Please make sure you are buying from a bona-fide omo onile. And that isn't enough, check their history. And ensure they are educated people. Don't buy lands from thugs and illiterates who don't know the meaning of the law.
3. And after agreeing to buy, and employing a decent lawyer, I tell the entire family I want to do video coverage and documentary during the payment. I get a video phone and snap as many pictures as possible while you hand them the cash.
4. Make sure on the land agreement you enlist at least one or two members of your family or colleagues who are police officers or military members, as witnesses. And let the omo onile be aware.
5. Fees like foundation fees etc must not be easily paid, you must ensure you frustrate them. If they want 10k, pay 500 naira let them feel you don't have anything for them.
6. And ensure you fence your land, don't pay a land and disappear for ten years. Omo oniles ate jobless folks and don't want to work, afterall they have lands and can always sell. Now if you don't do something on your land fast, they at first pour some sands on your land, if no one shows, they then put blocks, and when you still don't show, they presume your dead, and they sell off the land. So always make sure that you are not greedy when buying land. Instead of two plots you can't build, buy one. Instead of one, buy half you can fast develop. A woman near my house here at Ajah bought two plots and gave been sand filling for years, now their is an issue, and we even discovered we never collected a receipt or purchased from the bonafide omo onile.
7. And don't be friendly with them. Their prayer is you die and dont use your land. This isn't a SW or SS thing, I witnessed a northern in Gwarimpa saying he wished the owner of a land had truly died so he can resell to someone else.
8. And don't forget, omo onile are people. They have fear and their limits too. You give power to them. Don't ever beg them when you have a clash, just get a lawyer or use the law to threaten them. Who doesn't want peace of mind?

This is my humble contribution. And I have several plots of safe, secure and gazetted and cheap plots going for 400k to 500k at ibeju, badagry, ifo, itori and ilogbo for sale.

Gud writeup, u can partner with us on land related issues. contact my signature
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by GreatManBee: 10:36am On Mar 14, 2017
Has ogun state implemented this law too?
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by debeey87(m): 11:33am On Mar 14, 2017
Amosun is a land grabber too, he doesn't have time for that grin grin grin grin grin
GreatManBee:
Has ogun state implemented this law too?
Re: How To Tackle The Menace Of Land Grabbers by Zetra(m): 1:19pm On Mar 14, 2017
Ogun State (Agbara) Omonile is something else. Imagine them sending their sons/touts to block a route the various of companies in that zone use, just to force the to pay for one rubbish party jam in the Zone unto they are omoniles.
These companies pays taxes/securities and even a build a Police Station on that same route. The policemen did nothing. end of the day to avoid issues they where settled.

In Lagos the latest I hear was market Iya Oya forcing people to pay for upkeep of Iya Oya monthly, environmental dues (you are the one still doing this duty) etc after paying the normal lockup store levy. If you want to renovate your shop(roof/tiles etc) even as a tenant you will pay, if not some of your items will be seized, or you will be sent out of the market.
That's the reason every crannies of Lagos outside the market shop/kisok is being built because the only dues you pay is lockup shop tax yearly, union and security(monthly)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Now In Nigeria: International Quality Building Finishing! / Landowners In Abuja Take IG Of Police To Court For Illegal Seizes Of Property / Cheap Land/properties For Sale At Ibeju Lekki, Eleko, Awoyaya, Lagos Epe Express

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.