Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year (3172 Views)

We Applied Minimum Force On Shiite Members, Says Nigerian Army / Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring, Extradited To The Us / Nigerian Named One Of The World's Top Young Economists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by AloyEmeka9: 7:28pm On Dec 17, 2009
Nigerian named Applied Research Chemist of the year

Thursday, December 17, 2009

PROFESSOR Samuel Femi Adeloju, a professor of Analytical and Environmental Chemistry, as well as the Head of the School of Applied Sciences and Engineering at Monash University, Australia, has been named Applied Research Chemist of the Year and awarded the 2009 Applied Research Medal by the highest body for chemistry in Australia, the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI).

advertisement

The medal is awarded annually to a person who, in the opinion of the board of the RACI, had contributed towards the development of, or innovation through, applied research, or in industrial fields.

Professor Adeloju was awarded the medal for his contributions to applied electrochemistry, biosensing technology and nanotechnology, particularly in their applications to industrial process improvement and verification.

He had worked extensively with various Australian industries and organisations in these areas, especially on environmental process monitoring and sustainable management.

His invention of a nanocomposite biosensor system attracted interest and it is now in the process of being commercia-lised.

“I am very honoured to be chosen as the winner of the 2009 RACI Applied Research Medal. It is, indeed, a fitting recognition for the true impact research in chemistry can have on economic, social and environmental development,” Professor Adeloju said.

Professor Adeloju studied at Eko Boys’ High School in Lagos before leaving the country for Australia.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/dec/17/621.html

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 7:39pm On Dec 17, 2009
Good to see a fellow Nigerian working in a related field as mine. I am involved in the environmental aspects of nanotechnology, specifically on their toxicology and cellular functional alterations in bacteria and plants. Thus the biosensor development of Prof Adeloju brings his work in perspective with mine (bio).

However, although the details of the specific biosensor that the Prof developed is not clear from the sketchy post here,  I would add that nanocomposite biosensors have been developed and applied several years back. His will however be novel depending on the composites involved.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by AloyEmeka9: 7:44pm On Dec 17, 2009
More grease to your elbows.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 7:52pm On Dec 17, 2009
^^^^

Thanks. I am less than a year in the field of nanotechnology (had been working on developing biochelators for metal pollution bioremediation in soil using bacteria and plants and their secondary metabolites) and I already have an industrial award for the best research presentation in nanotechnology in the state of Utah, USA
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 8:04pm On Dec 17, 2009
Deleted
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by AloyEmeka9: 8:27pm On Dec 17, 2009
Nchara:

^^^^

Thanks. I am less than a year in the field of nanotechnology (had been working on developing biochelators for metal pollution bioremediation in soil using bacteria and plants and their secondary metabolites) and I already have an industrial award for the best research presentation in nanotechnology in the state of Utah, USA

You will be very instrumental in BecomeRich's plan to do the first coup in Africa using satellite technology.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by edoyad(m): 8:33pm On Dec 17, 2009
Nchara what a coincidence, i specialize in molecular disintegration in green and brown bottle consumption grin
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by edoyad(m): 8:39pm On Dec 17, 2009
Nigerians excel in every sphere of life every where in the world except Nigeria. Talk about purposeless leadership.
Anyways i salute our heroes.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 9:08pm On Dec 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

You will be very instrumental in BecomeRich's plan to do the first coup in Africa using satellite technology.
lol. Nanotech has nothing to do with satellite maps. It is simply any technology at very very very small (nano) scale with materials (biological, chemical etc) that are less than 100 nanometers in size.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Akebulan: 11:10pm On Dec 17, 2009
nice!
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by oderemo(m): 11:11pm On Dec 17, 2009
chara what a coincidence, i specialize in molecular disintegration in green and brown bottle consumption  

i am laughing my head off. u r somefing else.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by sjeezy8: 11:43pm On Dec 17, 2009
edoyad:

Nigerians excel in every sphere of life every where in the world except Nigeria. Talk about purposeless leadership.
Anyways i salute our heroes.

true
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 5:23am On Dec 18, 2009
Awarded barely 6 months into my new focus on Nanotechnology for the environment.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by SEFAGO(m): 5:26am On Dec 18, 2009
^ congratulations mekusxx, as a Nigerian you have done us proud.

However, there are more Nigerians with far better noteworthy achievements than winning a Research poster competition (something that is as commonplace as sand), that we should discuss so we have to relegate you to the background.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by SEFAGO(m): 6:04am On Dec 18, 2009
I already have an industrial award for the best research presentation in nanotechnology in the state of Utah, USA

You are misrepresenting what you actually won. You forget some of us participate in research ourselves, and understand the term. You won a conference poster award. I have friends at the undergraduate level who have won poster awards themselves from the American Chemical Society so kini big deal?
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 6:11am On Dec 18, 2009
SEFAGO:

You are misrepresenting what you actually won. You forget some of us participate in research ourselves, and understand the term. You won a conference poster award. I have friends at the undergraduate level who have won poster awards themselves from the American Chemical Society so kini big deal?

Wetin you dey yarn? The award was given by an industry interested in my work as presented. Your friends at undergrad level will attend undergrad conferences not conferences where established or near-established scientists discuss research. We are talking about cutting-edge science, you dey call your undergrad friends (many of whom I am currently supervising). Take your time oh! grin
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 6:12am On Dec 18, 2009
Sefago,

Stop refering to me an Mekusxxx. I will appreciate that. Thanks. I wonder what gave you the impression that I and Mekusxxx are the same person.

By the way, I will be talking in an ACS conference in San Diego next March. I invite you to come listen.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by SEFAGO(m): 6:23am On Dec 18, 2009
Your friends at undergrad level will attend undergrad conferences not conferences where established or near-established scientists discuss research. We are talking about cutting-edge science, you dey call your undergrad friends(many of whom I am currently training).

No they attend ACS conferences, in the US, really intelligent undergraduates participate in independent research in which they can present in the ACS. No you are not training my undergraduate friends- some of them are currently do PhDs at universities that you only hear about on TV grin
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by SEFAGO(m): 6:24am On Dec 18, 2009
Stop refering to me an Mekusxxx. I will appreciate that. Thanks. I wonder what gave you the impression that I and Mekusxxx are the same person.

You are both the same.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 6:25am On Dec 18, 2009
Your friends are pursuing the PhD degree that I obtained almost a year ago? You should know your superior then. grin
FYI, there are several categories of ACS conferences.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 6:26am On Dec 18, 2009
SEFAGO:

You are both the same.

Suit yourself then.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by SEFAGO(m): 6:32am On Dec 18, 2009
Your friends are pursuing the PhD degree that I obtained almost a year ago? You should know your superior then.

At least getting PhD from Stanford, MIT and Caltech is better than getting anyone anytime from a mediocre university.  They would soon be like you with a PhD, it doesnt matter what time you get it
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 6:33am On Dec 18, 2009
Have I told you where I got mine from? Why talk about your friends, why not yourself?
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by SEFAGO(m): 6:36am On Dec 18, 2009
Have I told you where I got mine from? Why talk about your friends, why not yourself?

How u talk is all i need to know
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 6:38am On Dec 18, 2009
Do you have a PhD yourself? If not, why pose with your friends, most likely Oyibos? grin You dey drop their names for me? I don't care about your friends ok?
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nobody: 6:41am On Dec 18, 2009
@sefago
with all due respect ,i dont think nchara is mekusxxx.I have had cause to engage the two of them on tribal issues and i bet you that you will definitely differentiate the two.Mekusxxx time of login is usually in the evening;to tell u that the guy is definitely a busy person during the day unlike nchara.Beside that asshole is more aggressive in his analysis and picks on people's use of english.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by SEFAGO(m): 6:45am On Dec 18, 2009
Do you have a PhD yourself? If not, why pose with your friends, most likely Oyibos? Grin You dey drop their names for me? I don't care about your friends ok?

No, I would not drop their names for you because that is a breech of privacy but the PhD that is sweetening ur stomach is as common place in my surrounding as garri in the house of a poor man. Moreover it is most likely from a podunk university- probably some low class university in Europe- relax no one is impressed. We are here to talk about the brilliant man in the OP.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by SEFAGO(m): 6:45am On Dec 18, 2009
Beside that asshole is more aggressive in his analysis and picks on people's use of english.

grin grin ;Dtrue talk
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 6:46am On Dec 18, 2009
Talking about ''good'' and ''bad'' universities, let me tell you a short story:
In 1999 after my NYSC, I went to interview for a job in Lagos. During the interview I met several other applicants from U.I., Unilag, Ife, etc and I was coming from a supposedly backyard state university in the East. But guess what, while I was scoring 85 and above on all counts, all those other guys were scoring 60. So it is not really the school you attended (although I obtained my MSc and PhD from some of the best universities in Europe) that matter, but yourself. I got the job instantly, worked for 3-4 years and off I zoomed for my MS program abroad on full scholarship. I got my present job even before defending my PhD thesis, and this was in a period millions, including professors, were losing their jobs all over the world.
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by SEFAGO(m): 6:48am On Dec 18, 2009
During the interview I met several other applicants from U.I., Unilag, Ife, etc and I was coming from a supposedly backyard state university in the East.

you probably met the lowest of the lows of these schools. Because the smartest people in UI, Unilag were not applying for the same jobs with you doesn't mean you have to jump into some silly conclusion
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by Nchara: 6:51am On Dec 18, 2009
I had Nigerians in my class during my MS, I was also on top of the class. No bragging. This is just me. Never went below the top 3, from primary level to PhD level, graduating with a Magna cumlaude. grin
Re: Nigerian Named Applied Research Chemist Of The Year by SEFAGO(m): 6:53am On Dec 18, 2009
I had Nigerians in my class during my MS, I was also on top the class. No bragging. This is just me. Never went below the top 3 from, primary level to PhD level, graduating with a Magna cumlaude

Why not Summa cum laude? Why did you have to take second honors?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Horror - Death Toll Rises To 66 In Nigeria Communal Clash ( Children massacred ) / .......... / Dr. Alex Otti Biography And Manifesto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.