Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

The Definition Of Hunger. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Definition Of Hunger. (610 Views)

Free Definition Of Translation/ Free Chance At Translating / The Definition Of A True Woman / The Definition Of A Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 2:12pm On Mar 13, 2017
It was a hot Saturday afternoon, four months ago - a day i can never forget. We had finished our semester examinations the previous day and most students on campus had vacated for their various homes, i was one of the few that were still in school. I didn't have any money on me to foot my transport fare home, afford a plate of food or even buy airtime to inform my parents who had no idea about the status quo. I was a practically a penniless pauper.

I laid down on my mattress, staring at the ceiling with my phone beside my head, hoping for a "miracle call” from home. An hour past, another past, yet no call came in. I looked at my watch, it was 12:00pm already and i haven't had breakfast.

I stood up and walked to my provisions locker majestically as though i didn't know the only food stuffs i had were palm oil, Maggi seasoning and a piece of dry fish heavily infested with ants. There was a left over cup of garri too. With these items, i could only prepare ‘eba’ and ‘water soup’. I had to make do after all what other options were at my disposal’, i muttered.

I have seen hungry people many times, on TV and on the streets but i haven't really had a first hand experience of what it feels to be really hungry for like a day. I hadn't eaten since i wrote my last exam the previous day, i resorted to gulping down water in cups. By my rough estimate i had drunk 25 litres of water from the previous day to that Moment. There was no better " definition of hunger ” than this.

"Was God punishing me for a sin i committed?", " have my parents disowned me?”, " Nobody cares about me any more, i must disown my parents when i eventually get home ”, i kept muttering to my self while starring casually at the ceiling. Suddenly, i heard the earsplitting sound of a speaker playing music down the street of my lodge and decided to go check out the reason for such nuisance....

(1) (Reply)

Once "Beaten" / 2018 Edition Of Nigerian Christian Literature Award Opens For Christian Writers / Love (romance Thriller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.