Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Forget The Hype Of Diversity: Here's A Proof Cultural Homogeneity May Be Better - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forget The Hype Of Diversity: Here's A Proof Cultural Homogeneity May Be Better (401 Views)

Kayode Fayemi Wears Bullet Proof Vest Under His Buba For Campaign. Photos / Babangida To Atiku: "Forget Your Presidential Ambition". Angry Atiku Shuns Press / "Forget The ‘mother Of All Bombs,’ Meet The Russian-made ‘daddy’ " (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forget The Hype Of Diversity: Here's A Proof Cultural Homogeneity May Be Better by paschu: 5:02pm On Mar 13, 2017
I'm seriously begining to think that the concept of cultural diversity in sovereign statehood is massively over hyped.

FACT: The vast majority of the world's developed countries are culturally homogeneous.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/16/a-revealing-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-ethnically-diverse-countries/

Except for a few rarities like Canada, one could quite easily deduce that developed countries like Britain or Sweden, contrary to popular belief, are also among the most homogenous nations. Yes there are many minorities in Britain, but on the whole the vast majority of people share a common ethnic or national identity. On the other hand, some of the most ethnically diverse countries are in Africa, Central Asia, South East Asia, and Latin America.

Correlation is not always causation but what this map shows is that development has a high correlation between successful economic development and ethnic homogeneity. As an amateur enthusiast in developmental economics, I do certainly believe that there are other important factors that explain why a country is rich, but ethnic diversity should be taken into some account.

I can only speak for the Scandinavian countries. Here several parameters often related to homogeneity is in the countries favor:

- Very low levels of corruption: high level of trust between people, and the people & the government.

- Easy to govern and educate: Partially due to size and also because almost 98% of the people (until 35 years ago when immigration slowly began) have the same religious, cultural and primary school background.

- Reasonably high economic redistribution: (which is possible due to homogeneity) keeps people away from poverty and ensures high quality free education potentially all the way to a Doctor of Philosophy Degrees. This in turn creates equal opportunities for everyone despite social background.

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-cultural-homogeneity-of-places-like-Japan-and-Scandinavian-countries-work-for-or-against-them

2 Likes

Re: Forget The Hype Of Diversity: Here's A Proof Cultural Homogeneity May Be Better by shukuokukobambi: 5:22pm On Mar 13, 2017
I agree 100% with your conclusion. Truly diversity is way over rated. Even in Nigeria, the separate regions made more progress than when the whole country came under a unitary system. Mistrust and distrust in mixed societies like Nigeria hamper growth.

4 Likes

Re: Forget The Hype Of Diversity: Here's A Proof Cultural Homogeneity May Be Better by paschu: 5:28pm On Mar 13, 2017
Unfortunately some people seem to think otherwise - especially amongst the elites.

I am begining to also think this denial is because the nation (in its diversity) is structurally designed and engineered to favor the few elites at the expense of the vastly impoverished majority.

shukuokukobambi:
I agree 100% with your conclusion. Truly diversity is way over rated. Even in Nigeria, the separate regions made more progress than when the whole country came under a unitary system. Mistrust and distrust in mixed societies like Nigeria hamper growth.

3 Likes

Re: Forget The Hype Of Diversity: Here's A Proof Cultural Homogeneity May Be Better by LoveMachine(m): 5:38pm On Mar 13, 2017
paschu:
Unfortunately some people seem to think otherwise - especially amongst the elites.

I am begining to also think this denial is because the nation (in its diversity) is structurally designed and engineered to favor the few elites at the expense of the vastly impoverished majority.

Say it louder for the people in the back!
Re: Forget The Hype Of Diversity: Here's A Proof Cultural Homogeneity May Be Better by shukuokukobambi: 5:42pm On Mar 13, 2017
paschu:

Gbam!!

That's why the elites and politicians from all tribes wish the status quo to continue while pitting the ignorant masses against themselves. Theres no discrimination at the top. All tribes are fully represented in that wicked group of people who are feeding fat on the resources that should accrue to the masses and they'll kill to keep it that way.

(1) (Reply)

Al-makura’s Son Arrested Over Death Of Student / Open Letter To President Buhari On The Reckless Attack On Office Of Amnesty Int. / Oba Okiolu Of Lagos Warns Other Aspirants Not To Contest Against Ambode In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.