Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Origin Of 'Naira' And 'Kobo'? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Origin Of 'Naira' And 'Kobo'? (6057 Views)

Increase Petrol Price By 85 Kobo Every Week For 3 Years / Naira And Kobo / The Origin Of Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Origin Of 'Naira' And 'Kobo'? by Diamondfx1(m): 12:45pm On Jan 20, 2007
What is the origin of the word 'naira' (and 'kobo')
Re: Origin Of 'Naira' And 'Kobo'? by TerraCotta(m): 4:30pm On Jan 28, 2007
I read somewhere a while ago that "kobo" is a phonetic spelling of "copper". Pennies and other coins were/are traditionally called "coppers" by the British, so when Nigeria created its own currency, they used the local pronounciation of "coppers" for the coins.

I'm not as sure about "naira", but I think it's a contraction of "Nigeria". It emphasized the independence of Nigeria from the UK. Until then, Nigeria's currency had been named the "pound" in imitation of Britain's pound sterling.
Re: Origin Of 'Naira' And 'Kobo'? by sirplay(m): 6:40pm On Aug 25, 2016
Lol!

So surprised Nigerians dont know Naira is an Hausa word where Kobo is Yoruba.

(1) (Reply)

Middlebelt, Should We Still Vote Goodluck Come 2015 In Majority Like 2011? / Exposed At Last: President Jonathan Behind Boko Haram Insurgency - Labaran Maku / Viral Photos Of El-rufai's Son In Compromising Situations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.