Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices (21940 Views)

"I Am In Difficult Situation Over Appointment" - Buhari / Deji Adeyanju Drags Buhari To Court Over Appointment Of NIA, DG / Uproar Over PDP Chairmanship, Stakeholders’ Meeting Ends In Deadlock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by SpecialAdviser(m): 8:49am On Mar 14, 2017
If a certficateless illiterate can be a Nigerian president, then any market woman can be a Supreme court judge.

So what is the uproar all about?

1 Like

Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by LadiIshola(m): 8:51am On Mar 14, 2017
I can attest to the integeity of barrister Yemi Oke cos he taught me environmental law at the M.Sc level in UNILAG.
He's very astute and sound.
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by Rainmaker69(m): 8:53am On Mar 14, 2017
Where is the uproar? Disagreements will arise in a multifarious system. Why does our media rely on exaggeration to sell papers?

1 Like

Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by MTHBOSS(m): 8:56am On Mar 14, 2017
May God deliver this country from every person who think power / influence and not protocol is necessary in important matters.
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by sunnyeinstein(m): 9:16am On Mar 14, 2017
izzou:

Lol

What has Buhari got to do with this?

The babe funny sha

Some Nigerians will still blame buhari if they sleep comfortably and on their beds!
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by jom28gy(m): 9:18am On Mar 14, 2017
At least,they supposed to have reached the required of certain working age before confirmation,which is fifteen to twenty five years .
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by Arielle: 9:52am On Mar 14, 2017
I think it is a bit unfair. If one chooses paid employment instead of serving on the bench, then allow those who made that sacrifice reap the ultimate benefits expected. We all know there is some element of political hand pressing and connections in the selection of SANS. Even though I believe most lawyers of that age and experience in Nigeria today, whether on the bench or in paid employment, have some affiliations, once one starts networking with influential decision makers for business (clients, retainership and the like), then political identification is almost a given. SANS have chosen their path. Let the lawyers on the bench have these high offices they aspire to and not have to fight over it with people who chose big money.

1 Like

Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by TundeHashim(m): 9:55am On Mar 14, 2017
to be sincere, this is practically the same thing that happens in the bastion of democracy - US. the president can, in the US, nominate his personal lawyer to the Supreme Court so long as his appointment his ratified by the Senate. However knowing Nigeria for "bastardizing" any and everything..this approach would be chaotic because sympathisers to some political interests would end up being at the bench. besides? is there no credible individuals from the over 72 divisions of the SHC and FHC in the country that they can appoint to the Court of Appeal? this is clearly a misplacement of priority!
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by kayzat: 9:59am On Mar 14, 2017
izzou:

Lol
What has Buhari got to do with this?

The babe funny sha

She's an attention seeker and a subtle way of getting some worthless likes .

1 Like

Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by guychidile: 10:02am On Mar 14, 2017
Judiciary is the last option,so appoint the best hand to execute the jib.
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by Claumy2(m): 10:05am On Mar 14, 2017
izzou:
grin

Why can't selections be done sanely or accepted in this country?

When judges are selected, there is uproar
When ministers are selected, there is uproar
When elections are conducted, there is uproar

Which kinda country is this sef,? Everything na argument and fight

Simply because the so called "leaders" are filled with deceit.
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by tchaik(m): 10:17am On Mar 14, 2017
others I do not know, but I am 100% certain Awa Kalu (SAN) will make a great Justice of the Supreme Court. The last of the dying breed; a fine jurist and gentleman.
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by mofebosola(m): 11:46am On Mar 14, 2017
From a Lay-man's point of view, I want to show my strong opposition to the idea o selecting SC Justices from among practising lawyers. These lawyers hitherto had Chambers they are running. They have staff that. They employed. Assuming they by stroke of luck or chance become SC Justices and one of their former employee now is representing a client on a case before the SC and this former Boss is in charge, is there not going to be a form of bias?
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by Seekeroftruth: 1:35pm On Mar 14, 2017
Nnamdi Ibegbu (SAN, Anambra)

Wow he lives in my street
His chamber has produced two judges
Wonder why he hasn't gotten it.
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by BetaThings: 2:19pm On Mar 14, 2017
mofebosola:
From a Lay-man's point of view, I want to show my strong opposition to the idea o selecting SC Justices from among practising lawyers. These lawyers hitherto had Chambers they are running. They have staff that. They employed. Assuming they by stroke of luck or chance become SC Justices and one of their former employee now is representing a client on a case before the SC and this former Boss is in charge, is there not going to be a form of bias?

Having made money from the private practice and PERHAPS used that to become a SAN, next thing is to use that to become a judge
All the clients you have been working for for the past 15years and have become close/family friends will be rejoicing

When will a poor man
--be placed under house arrest or
-- served a search warrant before his house is turned upside down
-- collapse in court and be rushed to the hospital two days after being arrested

1 Like

Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by Osyabj: 3:27pm On Mar 14, 2017
For the uninitiated, this was the compromise agreed as the basis to send Onnoghen's name to the Senate for confirmation...as reported by Thisdayonline, January 31, 2017

"It is not clear whether the acting CJN was put under pressure to succumb to the idea of appointing lawyers directly to the apex court.
''
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/01/31/acting-cjn-asks-nba-to-nominate-lawyers-for-appointment-into-supreme-court/

In fact a section of the presidency who was indisposed to make Onnogen substantive CJN due to his numerous corruption issues, including his indictment by the 1994 Kayode Eso Panel, who declared Onogen as corrupt and unfit to be a judge.

So some in the presidency were pushing to extend Onogen as acting until the new lawyers were appointed and susequently select a new Sup. Ct justice, ouside the current Sup. CT justices who were adjudged to be 100% corrupt.

So Onnogen barely dodged the bullet as he would have been rejected if he had refused to invite experienced lawyers for appointment to the Sup. CT and the Appeals Court.
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by DorisK(f): 6:56pm On Mar 14, 2017
izzou:

You are beautiful, but you typed this without a brain

chai! What did I do to deserve this rubbish quote Even with the "lol" u still dint get it.....u cud have just carried your wahala and read the other hundreds of comments naw
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by izzou(m): 7:11pm On Mar 14, 2017
DorisK:

chai! What did I do to deserve this rubbish quote Even with the "lol" u still dint get it.....u cud have just carried your wahala and read the other hundreds of comments naw

Am sorry

cry
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by olawaleplus(m): 9:47pm On Mar 14, 2017
Even though I dont like reading comments beyond 1st page, that EPIC INSULT angry undecided from @Izzou and expected reaction from @Dorisk pushed me to this page.

@Izzou apology accepted on behalf of @Dorisk cheesy go and insult no more grin wink
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by izzou(m): 10:34pm On Mar 14, 2017
olawaleplus:
Even though I dont like reading comments beyond 1st page, that EPIC INSULT angry undecided from @Izzou and expected reaction from @Dor... pushed me to this page.

@Izzou apology accepted on behalf of @Dori.. cheesy go and insult no more grin wink

Thank you my oga

grin cool grin

DorisK, no vex abeg
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by Slimpotter(m): 11:13pm On Mar 14, 2017
[quote author=DorisK post=54570840]All these are happening just because Buhari stepped out for just few days. lol. una go hear am when he's fully back[/quote
Hatred for a man that has nothing wrong to you,only affects you and not him.Stop being beautifully insipid
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by DorisK(f): 9:47am On Mar 15, 2017
[quote author=Slimpotter post=54596545][/quote]
hatred? ha, please I am not understanding. which one is hatred again
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by DorisK(f): 9:48am On Mar 15, 2017
izzou:

Thank you my oga
grin cool grin
DorisK, no vex abeg

I don't even understand what ur saying so no vexing
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by Slimpotter(m): 10:02am On Mar 15, 2017
DorisK:

hatred? ha, please I am not understanding. which one is hatred again
Sorry are you a buharist?
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by izzou(m): 11:53am On Mar 15, 2017
DorisK:

I don't even understand what ur saying so no vexing
angry
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by FactualSpeech: 6:32pm On Mar 15, 2017
Following these information, the panel set up by NBA President Abubakar Mahmoud (SAN), nominated nine persons for Supreme Court appointment. They are: Dr Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), Anthony Ikemefuna Idigbe (SAN), Anthony Idigbe (SAN), Yunus Ustaz Usman (SAN), Babatunde Fagbohunlu (SAN), Miannayaaja Essien (SAN), Awa Uma Kalu (SAN), Professor Auwalu Hamisu Yadudu and Tajudeen Oladoja.

The ratio is clear (South7:2 North and South 7:5 north respectively) yet no call for christinanization or southernization of Nigeria

For the Appeal Court appointments, the NBA nominated 12 people. They are: Nnamdi Ibegbu (SAN, Anambra); former Judge of Court of Appeal of Gambia, Adegoke Oluremi (Ondo); Enewa Rita Ifeyinwa (Delta); Alma Eluwa (Imo); Oladipo Tolani (Kwara); Dr. Mohammed Alkali (Borno); Prof. Nsogurua J. Udombana (Akwa Ibom); Auwalu Mu’allimu (Kano); Prof. Augustine R. Agom (Benue); Gbadamosi Kazeem (Oyo); Dr. Yemi Oke (Ogun), and Dr Ibrahim Abdullahi (Sokoto).

Quite the hypocrisy bro,it's not good for you,neither is it for Nigeria

https://www.nairaland.com/3681153/uproar-over-appointment-lawyers-supreme
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by DorisK(f): 10:28pm On Mar 15, 2017
Slimpotter:
Sorry are you a buharist?
I don't speak blabs so I don't know what that is
Re: Uproar Over Appointment Of Lawyers As Supreme court, Appeal Court Justices by juman(m): 11:02pm On Mar 15, 2017
Hmmmm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anambra Receives N268.2 Million First Oil Allocation As Oil Producing State / Our Target Was President Buhari: ISWAP Claims Responsibility For Kogi Bomb Blast / Bandits Kill 11 Security Operatives, Kidnap Chinese Miners In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.