Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,675 members, 7,820,371 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Is There Compulsion In Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is There Compulsion In Religion? (529 Views)

I will keep using the name, 'Yahushua'; you can keep 'Jesus'. No compulsion! / Is It True 'there's No Compulsion In Islam? / There Is No Compulsion In Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Compulsion In Religion? by plainbibletruth: 10:12am On Mar 14, 2017
Is There Compulsion In Religion?

Christians are called to live in peace with all men. Jesus Christ said: “But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you” Mathew 5:44

Christianity does not therefore seek to COMPEL or FORCE others into Christianity.

It would appear that the quran did the same. Mohamed was severally asked not to force people to believe his message. He was only to give the message and leave the rest to Allah. Sura 13:40, Sura 88:21-22 and others.

But then the same quran now goes on to reverse these teachings by asking Mohamed and by extension muslims to fight those who do not believe in his religion. Sura 9:73 “O Prophet! Strive against the disbeliever and the hypocrites! Be harsh with them”. Sura 9: 123 – “O you who believed, fight those adjacent to you of the unbelievers and let them find in you harshness”. Sura 4:89-90 is even more graphic.

Of course muslim scholars find ways of explaining this contradiction and so we find them holding divergent opinions as to how to reconcile the contradiction.

It must be clear to any objective reader or scholar that there is a major theological problem for islam here. Where is the love of God in asking people to be killed and end up in hell? But Allah is said to be able to turn people to the faith, so why would he now resort to death for the unbeliever?

Christianity presents the good news of the salvation provided by our Saviour Jesus Christ as an open offer that carries no earthly penalty from Christians for those who choose to reject it. That is why historically even in a nation where MAJORITY are Christians non-believers or those who choose to turn away from Christianity are not killed for their position.

The same cannot be said for islam. The position is clearly that of “Accept or face bitter consequence”. In belief and practice what islam seeks is forced or coerced acceptance of the religion. Where the individual or community of moslems are not able exercise power over others they brandish the “There is no compulsion in religion” placards. But where or when they have the power to they exercise oppressive control.

Religious freedom requires the ability to freely express criticism of a religion. Where the religion has nothing to hide or be afraid of this (criticism) should not be an issue. But where it is the opposite the result is fierce opposition to any criticism even up to direct physical attack on the individual where possible.

Compulsion also involves where even the minutest detail of a person’s life is dictated as compulsory.

An honest religion must therefore not be deceptive in the presentation of what it stands for. Hiding under the cloak of one thing when the intention is the opposite is clearly not an expression of truthfulness – and one would expect a believer of any faith to reflect what would be expected of a good God: integrity.

Jesus said: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matt. 11:28-30)
Re: Is There Compulsion In Religion? by silvastone: 10:14am On Mar 14, 2017
we all know the religion that compel and force it follower
Re: Is There Compulsion In Religion? by plainbibletruth: 12:05am On Mar 15, 2017
A Look At Some Hadith

The hadith has numerous reports on how FORCE was applied in islam against those who CHOSE not to adopt islam.
Indeed since the beginnings of Islam, objectors and apostates have been attacked and killed.

So for anyone today who thinks he knows better and thinks Islam's "There is no compulsion in religion" propaganda is for real such a one had better think twice.

Let's look at some:

Al-Bukhari.

Allah's Apostle said, "I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.' And if they say so, pray like our prayers, face our Qibla and slaughter as we slaughter, then their blood and property will be sacred to us and we will not interfere with them except legally and their reckoning will be with Allah.
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 8, Number 387

From volume 4
4:50 Muhammad said, "A single endeavour (of fighting) in Allah's cause in the forenoon or in the afternoon is better than the world and whatever is in it."

4:259 Abu Huraira said, "Allah's Apostle sent us in a mission and said, ‘If you find so-and-so and so-and-so, burn both of them with fire.’ When we intended to depart, Allah's Apostle said, ‘I have ordered you to burn so-and-so and so-and-so, and it is none but Allah Who punishes with fire, so, if you find them, kill them.’"

4:260 Ikrima said, "Ali burnt some people and this news reached Ibn Abbas, who said, ‘Had I been in his place I would not have burnt them, as the Prophet said, "Don't punish (anybody) with Allah's punishment." No doubt, I would have killed them, for the Prophet said, "If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him."

From Volume 9
9:50 (& 4:283) Ali said,"... no Muslim should be killed ... for killing a kafir (disbeliever)."

In Islam, choice is not allowable: no one is free to choose whether or not to accept or reject any area of the religion considered key. The reason given is that they are all ordained by Allah and not to be changed. Islam does not truly believe in a world in which Islam is one religion among others. Islam believes it must be the dominant religion - and Islam's drive is toward achieving this. Consequently there is actually compulsion in Islam.
Re: Is There Compulsion In Religion? by plainbibletruth: 11:17am On Jun 02, 2017
Religion of Peaceful Coexistence?
"...The government will not be responsible to the security of any Christian who behaves irresponsibly by eating while Muslims are fasting. Christians must understand that eating in the month of Ramadan is hate behaviour and incitement as well. Government will not hesitate to arrest those guilty of incitement and hate

What a country!!

(1) (Reply)

Outrage As Billboard That Insults Prophet Mohammed Upsets Indianapolis Muslims / Onan: From The DOCTUFOS OF TRUTH / There Are No Christian Churches In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.