Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? (27951 Views)

5 Lucrative Careers You Can Excel In That Do Not Require A Degree / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada / What Job Can I Get With A Pass Degree In Maths/Statistics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by directonpc(m): 9:51pm On Mar 14, 2017
Get a masters degree
Start your own school of thought cheesy
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Valkyr: 9:51pm On Mar 14, 2017
Op, there is no easy answer, no universal answer. Philosophy does not point you specifically in any direction like those professional disciplines. It bids us to GO into the world and make whatever we may out of ourselves using our mind and body.

The contributions of you fellas delights me. I wanted to write an article for freshers in my dept but dumped it halfway because the philosopherkings and queens I was banking on to share their experiences never replied my mail and I didn't want to write abstractions.

OP, Descartes' devil did trouble me with your question in my first year. Its voice began dying out but it remained. By July, I shall have graduated. I got a part time. I dont even know my cgpa sef but I am jobhunting when I am not doing coursework. But most jobs I see on job boards are located in Lag and I am in Nsukka, so I just do more of reading. I tested waters one day, and a certain firm located in Lag told me to notify them when I grad... If you wanna get certifications, count NIM out...

What does ur resume and covering letter look like philosopher? How well do you sell urself? It matters. If employer needs analytic thinker, you did logic. If they demand communication, Nwanne I did Communication and Information Ethics, if they need what else, bro I find a relevant course..

This is what we've been prepared for..
(Please dear philosophers, methinks we should all keep in touch. WhatsApp or any other means..)

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Bestbeelieve: 9:52pm On Mar 14, 2017
farm
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by hero2000: 9:53pm On Mar 14, 2017
Rick9:

seriously this O.p fall hand, e just make mockery of everything we represent ( Wisdom beyond Human imagination )
me when dey 200L don dey see potentials for the course. o.p seriously e no make sense.

Isorite! Person wey neva climb mountain dey yab person wey dey descend say he no climb well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by meekmk(m): 9:53pm On Mar 14, 2017
Hi.. Just adding my 1 and 2

I graduated with a 2.1 in Philosophy in 2014 also.. Started a transport company immediately.. Doing well.. But i didnt stop there.. Im currently in Canada studying businsss management and afterthat i have anotherher program in Logistics and Supply Chain management.. I got offered a job in logisrics already by one of my professors during my first year in canada here and i also work part time in logistics with sears.. You can only fly as high as you are willing..

Its not easy not.. Nor can i gaurantee u it will be.. Cognito ergo sum my brother. Think.. Go for an MBA even in Lagos Business School..

Sorry if i said too much..

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by d4guy: 10:00pm On Mar 14, 2017
africandictator:
what if every law applicants were automatically admitted, won't there be jobless lawyers. ..??
There are jobless lawyers, they full street .

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Glock9(m): 10:04pm On Mar 14, 2017
Put Aristotle to shame.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by IAMMUIC: 10:06pm On Mar 14, 2017
Valkyr:
Op, there is no easy answer, no universal answer. Philosophy does not point you specifically in any direction like those professional disciplines. It bids us to GO into the world and make whatever we may out of ourselves using our mind and body.

The contributions of you fellas delights me. I wanted to write an article for freshers in my dept but dumped it halfway because the philosopherkings and queens I was banking on to share their experiences never replied my mail and I didn't want to write abstractions.

OP, Descartes' devil did trouble me with your question in my first year. Its voice began dying out but it remained. By July, I shall have graduated. I got a part time. I dont even know my cgpa sef but I am jobhunting when I am not doing coursework. But most jobs I see on job boards are located in Lag and I am in Nsukka, so I just do more of reading. I tested waters one day, and a certain firm located in Lag told me to notify them when I grad... If you wanna get certifications, count NIM out...

What does ur resume and covering letter look like philosopher? How well do you sell urself? It matters. If employer needs analytic thinker, you did logic. If they demand communication, Nwanne I did Communication and Information Ethics, if they need what else, bro I find a relevant course..

This is what we've been prepared for..
(Please dear philosophers, methinks we should all keep in touch. WhatsApp or any other means..)

Nice Idea. I think I should go ahead to create a Whatsapp group. if interested do drop ur whatsapp number so we all who studied Philosophy and those still studying Philosophy can connect.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 14, 2017
undecidedBros wat u study matters unles u wanna go into d military or paramilitary wer connection iz needed..
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by DejiDaGreat(m): 10:10pm On Mar 14, 2017
I'm equally a graduate of philosophy from UI, people have said it all. a graduate of philosophy can work any where in d society, especially settings where they lay premium on logic. I'm a NOA officer today, while many of my colleagues are in d banking sector & other multimedia companies. As said earlier by someone, philosophy is not an end in itself, but a means through which u can find ur feet. Like two of my friends, I've not given up on pursuing a degree in law, my childhood ambition. Good luck to u philosophy King.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by olamidenoble: 10:18pm On Mar 14, 2017
you are in the best position to answer that question....Stop seeing yourself as a graduate philosophy student, see your as a GRADUATE and be self critical, ask yourself what ' Can i do' ....If Anyone is taking you abode , what can you do for them? You have to be Employable , Be Marketable ......Just my opinion
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Valkyr: 10:19pm On Mar 14, 2017
IAMMUIC:

Nice Idea. I think I should go ahead to create a Whatsapp group. if interested do drop ur whatsapp number so we all who studied Philosophy and those still studying Philosophy can connect.

preferably, create a separate thread

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Opakan2: 10:22pm On Mar 14, 2017
Philosophy is not a bad course.. you can further to become Doctor of philosophy (D.Phil) in psychiatry or any medical science course of your choice.

Career path matters, so choose carefully
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Mar 14, 2017
Drive for Uber
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by BaEnki(m): 10:34pm On Mar 14, 2017
Pidgin2:

Nigeria made you score below the required JAMB cut off mark for your desired course?

I was merely supporting his claim about how hard Nigeria situation is, checking through what I wrote earlier about getting your desired course, you'll see where I wrote that your overall performance in exams determines the course you'll get.

I didn't score below JAMB required score, and I was given the course I chose during the reg.

Check well through posts before commenting.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by ezewealth(m): 10:36pm On Mar 14, 2017
pweetyoge:
I can relate..i studied Philosophy at the University of Nigeria. It came as a result of not getting Law my first degree. did that stop me after Nysc..NAH.... I took a training in Customer service since i adore the field and i am doing fine. I am nt saying it was easy, nah it was not..bt it is a normal course, it is quite enlightening, it broadens ur knowledge and besides when we allow those who know literally nothing about the course to talk us down. It gets to u, they tell u how it is an archaic course of study or how it is an abstract thing nd can not be used in the society. It makes me laugh. Cus Plato argues that philosopher kings should be the rulers as we aim to discover the ideal polis. To b honest, no course is the ultimate, everyone is fighting to succeed. No one will ask u what u studied bt will ask what you can do. Dnt sit n ponder, learn basic office tools..u cn work as a customer service agent n any related field. Or u go for a professional masters degree. I currently study international law. So never say never. These write up is a wake up call to all philosophers. Stop allowing sentiments n naysayers who know nothing abt philosophy have a say. Corgito Ego Sum...Esto Vir
Really, u go school

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Valkyr: 10:37pm On Mar 14, 2017
Rick9:

seriously this O.p fall hand, e just make mockery of everything we represent ( Wisdom beyond Human imagination )
me when dey 200L don dey see potentials for the course. o.p seriously e no make sense.

I don't see any mockery bro. he was engaging in questionings... You see potentials in ur 200l;dont lose sight then..Someone else might see it after a postgraduate degree;be a midwife to them if you can...ur critiquing is midwifery in a way sha

where you dey get wisdom wey dy supra human imagination? I dy interested o...
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Mar 14, 2017
The most useless course ever!!! angry.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by BaEnki(m): 10:42pm On Mar 14, 2017
africandictator:
what if every law applicants were automatically admitted, won't there be jobless lawyers. ..??

There won't be jobless Lawyers, they can still practice even without pay and be happy with with it, because they really love it. Besides, becoming a Lawyer entails you to have high IQ which transmit to adequate intelligence and brilliancy, everybody don't have that, I once have a secondary school mate who aspired to be a lawyer but had an abysmal 196 jamb score, he had to settle for something else's then.

So to your question, all the applicant can not be admitted even when you still performed very well, remember one Agbor will read of here? She wasn't admitted in OAU, though looking at her result, we can deduce that she's brilliant but she was competing with more brilliant student eg SirWeresmiley who was admitted to study the same course on merit.
Hi!
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by gboodoo(m): 10:50pm On Mar 14, 2017
It is not about the course you studied but what you can offer to prospective employer. I studied philosophy and I don't regret it one bit even though I never intended to study the course in the first instant. I have worked in Administration and Human Resource. Go for professional certification. Am currently Head of Operations in a Logistics company. No single course will guarantee success even medicine or law unless you don't aspire to rise to the top of your profession. I have my masters and intend to pursue my PhD. I also have professional certification in Admin and HR. Make yourself employable because it is what you can offer that company hire you for not what you studied. As a HR practitioner, I can tell you that in most instances, what you studied does not matter when organisations are looking for the best.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Mar 14, 2017
Riduane:

Where is your sense
in my head.. While yours is in your yansh
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by adegeye38(m): 10:58pm On Mar 14, 2017
Grammywinner:
Good day Fam! I go by the name Macquis. I studied Philosophy and graduated from the University in the year 2014, went for the compulsory youth service in the year that followed. Ever since then, getting a job has been quite a tale for another day. By the way, I graduated with a 2.1. I've applied for a number of jobs but haven't been able to secure any.

I really don't understand, maybe it's as a result of the course I studied in the University. I keep suspecting that though, not entirely sure. The purpose of creating this thread anyway is to seek the guidance of Nairalanders who may have been in my shoes as regards studying my course (Philosophy) or known someone, preferably a Nigerian, who studied my course. I would like to know the sought of jobs I should apply for or better still the Industry where my skill and degree would be best appreciated.

Thanks for checking out this thread. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
mr man your life has just started, from primary school to secondary school to university, u knw sabi wetin u wan do wit ur lyf, u con graduate dey ask say which job u wan do with philosophy

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by spenca: 11:03pm On Mar 14, 2017
hope4life:

I know someone who read Philosophy , first set of Students of Philosophy in Uniport. He worked in Radio Rivers as journalist, writer etc. You can even work in Bank. Philosophy is bedrock of all courses and disciplines hence the climax of all courses/terminal degree earns a man Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy.

Like I said it is a foundation course.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Valkyr: 11:05pm On Mar 14, 2017
tongue
Iefosa:
The most useless course ever!!! angry.

The most unexamined comment ever...

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Moneyyy: 11:06pm On Mar 14, 2017

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Zulu212: 11:06pm On Mar 14, 2017
XaintJoel20:

Could this be a Uniben student?
YES

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by CzarChris(m): 11:08pm On Mar 14, 2017
pweetyoge:
I can relate..i studied Philosophy at the University of Nigeria. It came as a result of not getting Law my first degree. did that stop me after Nysc..NAH.... I took a training in Customer service since i adore the field and i am doing fine. I am nt saying it was easy, nah it was not..bt it is a normal course, it is quite enlightening, it broadens ur knowledge and besides when we allow those who know literally nothing about the course to talk us down. It gets to u, they tell u how it is an archaic course of study or how it is an abstract thing nd can not be used in the society. It makes me laugh. Cus Plato argues that philosopher kings should be the rulers as we aim to discover the ideal polis. To b honest, no course is the ultimate, everyone is fighting to succeed. No one will ask u what u studied bt will ask what you can do. Dnt sit n ponder, learn basic office tools..u cn work as a customer service agent n any related field. Or u go for a professional masters degree. I currently study international law. So never say never. These write up is a wake up call to all philosophers. Stop allowing sentiments n naysayers who know nothing abt philosophy have a say. Corgito Ego Sum...Esto Vir
Babe if I say I love you now, all these jealous nairalnders will say I too like woman.
My ex studied philosophy, and she was the most intellectually engaging and emotionally mature girl I ever dated. It was just tribal differences prevented us from tieing the knot.
Like someone said earlier philosophy is like a strong foundational course, so as a philosopher you need to upgrade to be really relevant.
Even in engineering back then we did philosophy of science in our 1st year and a PhD holder is a doctor of philosophy, that is he/she knows the subject of study from the roots. I am fascinated by philosophers.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Mar 14, 2017
Valkyr:
tongue

The most unexamined comment ever...

Unexamined gbehe tongue
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by 1metre: 11:10pm On Mar 14, 2017
pweetyoge:
love your Rene Descartes quote. Studied philosophy in UNN also, but doing well in my business. Op should apply the principles of epistemology (theory of knowledge) in practice, u won't need employment.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by nobsalis: 11:44pm On Mar 14, 2017
promisechild:
With Philosophy you can do so many things. Philosophy helps to broaden your horizon and it main aim is self discovery and that is what true education emphasizes. Philosophy taught me I should rely on logical reasoning and which has helped me in all ramifications in life. I am self employed and I have 3 PHD holders and several Msc holders working for me and I am currently in my final year studying philosophy in one of the public Universities in Nigeria.

u are a comedian
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 11:56pm On Mar 14, 2017
pweetyoge:
studied philosophy and psychology at the same university and I'm confident I can work anywhere cos those two courses are good. Didn't get the law I applied for but I got to love my combination.
People should stop going to school just because they want to get job. It will frustrate u if u don't get one soon enough.
Greeetings to u super lioness.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

One Bumpy Semester Made Him Drop Out Of School, Now He’s A Cattle Seller / Amarachi Okafor, UNIZIK Student Painter Attracts Government Attention / Mechanical Engineers Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.