Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,857 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

8 Unbelievable Love And Marriage Customs Of The World - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 8 Unbelievable Love And Marriage Customs Of The World (894 Views)

Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King / 7 Weird African Customs And Traditions You Didn’t Know / (pics) An Unbelievable Traditional Display Of Zuru Men in Kebbi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Unbelievable Love And Marriage Customs Of The World by Elnida: 6:17pm On Mar 14, 2017
No knowledge is a waste and everyday presents something somewhat new. I want to use this medium to present this piece as my official introduction and entry,although I have posted a piece in the sports section as a teaser. I have been following Nairaland for over five years but always met Goliath when ever i try logging in but with the help of a fellow Nairalander, my phobia was quenched, my scare assuaged. I am elated being a member now,please I plead with the mods to do the needful for we are one big family so I have come to realized. Thanks a bunch and pardon the long sermon but necessity forced my hands. To the post now......

Love is universal but romance takes an array of astonishing forms around the world. The below list uncovers some of the worlds most fascinating love and marriage customs from sweet merriment to utter disdain and outright ridicule. shall we?

1: ROMANCE WRITTEN IN A CHICKEN LIVER: we have heard of cutting the cake, but cutting the chicken? that's strange but not to the people of Daur in China who have a tradition for couples. They are to dissect and Inspect it's liver (veterinary doctors sort of) If the liver is in a healthy shape,this is seen as a good omen and a date is fixed. If not the couple must keep searching for that prophetic yet healthy liver.

2: STEP INSIDE A COURTING HUT: some African tribes provide their daughters with "courting hut" to entertain potential suitors away from the gaze of the parents. In Cambodia, unmarried girls are encouraged to use these huts to EXPLORE multiple PARTNERS, both socially and SEXUALLY,all in a quest to find that true love. imagine this in Nigeria (Vaseline crew)

3: WHALES TOOTH GIFT: In Fiji, it's common practice when asking for a woman's hand in marriage to present to your soon to be father-in-law a TABUA (whales tooth). it's considered not real love until you take a dive into the ocean in search of one.

4: TEARS OF JOY IN CHINA: Its definitely accepted to get a little teary at the wedding but a whole month before might be an overkill. However, for China's Tujia people it's customary for the bride-to-be to begin weeping for an hour everyday before the day of the wedding. Sometimes after, her mother joins in and other women of the family eventually join as a sign of joy. Absurd isn't it?

5: LADIES CHOICE IN NIGER: In an annual courtship event, the men of the wodaabe fula in Niger dress up in elaborate costume,put on make up,sing and dance during the Gerewol festival, this is in a bid to win a bride at the end of the event.The women get to choose who they find best.

6: WHITE DAY IN JAPAN: On valentines day in Japan,it's the women who buy chocolates for the men. But fear not ladies for one month from this time,during the white day, the men splash gifts twice more expensive to what the women gave them during the valentines day.

7: BIGGER THE BETTER: You can forget to loose weight as it is in other climes,because in Mauritania the bigger the better..This signifies wealth that a man provide in excess for his family. The downside is,girls are in some families forced to feed their daughters while others suffer long term health issues caused by obesity. Fat ladies in the building more clarity on this will be appreciated. na joke o

8: LOVE SPOON IN WALES: Here the man presents his lover with a meticulously carved wooden spoon as a feature that he will feed her and provide for her. But if the spoon is returned, the affection is not mutual but if successful, the woman MUST wear the SPOON around her neck for a number of days.
Re: 8 Unbelievable Love And Marriage Customs Of The World by chybykee(m): 8:13pm On Mar 14, 2017
All because of love?
Re: 8 Unbelievable Love And Marriage Customs Of The World by peachesandroses(f): 8:45pm On Mar 14, 2017
Interesting!! number 5 is very cool....but number 4? that means some people go remain, how can I cry for one hour per day for no reason? For one whole month at that!
Re: 8 Unbelievable Love And Marriage Customs Of The World by Elnida: 11:49pm On Mar 14, 2017
chybykee:
All because of love?

is it not worth it
Re: 8 Unbelievable Love And Marriage Customs Of The World by Elnida: 12:02am On Mar 15, 2017
peachesandroses:
Interesting!! number 5 is very cool....but number 4? that means some people go remain, how can I cry for one hour per day for no reason? For one whole month at that!

Na luv na grin
Re: 8 Unbelievable Love And Marriage Customs Of The World by chybykee(m): 8:56am On Mar 15, 2017
Elnida:

is it not worth it

no
Re: 8 Unbelievable Love And Marriage Customs Of The World by SurefireFashion: 11:32pm On Mar 17, 2017
Wield and funny

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Custom Tailoring Is An Upcoming Men’s Fashion Trend / I Know It Sound Crazy But I Think Ghost Exist. / Happy Birthday To The Longest Serving Monarch Igwe Kenneth Orizu III

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.