Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,066 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:36 AM

Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again (10862 Views)

Maina: Presidency Keeps Mum As Winifred Oyo-Ita Implicates Buhari / Buhari Keeps Mum As N9 Trillion Contract Scandal Rocks NNPC / Presidency, Senate To Clash Over Magu Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by dre11(m): 6:53am On Mar 16, 2017
John Alechenu, Olusola Fabiyi , Eniola Akinkuotu, Leke Baiyewu and Olaleye Aluko

The Senate has requested that President Muhammadu Buhari nominate a replacement for the Acting Chairman , Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr . Ibrahim Magu, following the rejection of his nomination by the legislature on Wednesday.

The upper chamber of the National Assembly said the rejection had ended Magu’ s chairmanship of the EFCC in acting capacity.
The decision was based on a security report on Magu by the Department of State Services.
Magu, however , denied the allegations against him in the report, saying the DSS never invited him to defend himself , urging the lawmakers to disregard the report .

After all questions had been asked , President of the Senate , Senator Bukola Saraki , who presided over the plenary, asked the Clerk to the Senate to confirm how many letters were received from the DSS.

He said , “ Only one letter was received in my office on the 3rd of October , 2016, from the Department of State Services . Only one letter was received . The one of yesterday ( Tuesday) was actually sent because a request was made again after the renomination. The one of yesterday, dated 14th March , 2017, was to reaffirm the content of the earlier letter. ”

There were reports that the DSS issued two conflicting reports on Magu; one was addressed to the Clerk of the Senate, while the other was sent through the Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters ( Senate ) , Senator Ita Enang, who had refused to comment on the second letter when he was asked by journalists.

The Senate President , thereafter , put Magu’ s nomination to voice vote and the nays had it.
Angered by the rejection , former Majority Leader of the Senate, Senator Ali Ndume , raised a point of order , in which he accused the Senate of double standard.

He said , “ Yesterday , we got a letter from Nigeria Customs Service, signed by an Assistant Comptroller General ( and sent) to the Clerk. We said that was not the right thing to do.

“ This letter or report should have been written and signed by the Director -General of the DSS . By the wish of God and nature of democracy, the majority will have their way and the minority will have their say . All I am saying is that there are two letters here . ”

Saraki , however , ruled Ndume out of order .
Melaye also moved a motion , saying , “ The consequence of the decision of the Senate to reject the nomination of Mr . Ibrahim Magu, I therefore move that the Senate, by resolution, ask the highest public officer in the EFCC to take over the leadership of the EFCC. ”

Saraki , in his response, said , “ The decision we have taken today is that we have not confirmed Ibrahim Magu as the chairman and, as such , it goes to show that it requires for the President to renominate another candidate . And in the interim, of course , somebody else will have to carry on that exercise. ”
The Presidency , however , refused to state the next step it would take as a result of Magu’ s rejection .

Although the Senate did not screen Magu in the first attempt to confirm his nomination on January 25, 2017, the lawmakers had stopped the process based on the DSS report on him , which it said was negative .

Among others , the DSS in the first letter, accused Magu of breaching the EFCC protocol by being in possession of the EFCC documents in his private residence during the chairmanship of Farida Waziri.

The DSS also cited his arrest, detention and suspension by the Nigeria Police. It also made a reference to Magu’ s lifestyle , alleging that an individual paid N 40m for the EFCC ’ s boss residence in Abuja .
The Senate , after rejecting Magu’ s nomination in January , had communicated the rejection to the President.

But Buhari , in his response to the Senate , said the issues raised on Magu had been clarified and urged the lawmakers to confirm him as Chairman of the EFCC.

Consequently, the Senate discreetly wrote the DSS on March 7, 2017, asking for a new report on Magu.

Magu can’ t head EFCC , DSS insists
The DSS replied the Senate on Tuesday, insisting on its earlier report on Magu.
The new letter read , “ Your letter, NASS /CS/SA /01/17/08/02, dated 7th March , 2017, requesting security report on the above named nominee , refers .

“ The security report being requested on Ibrahim Magu Mustapha, the nominee for the Executive Chairmanship position of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission , has already been submitted to the Senate via this service ’ s letter No . SV . 114/2 of 3rd October , 2016, containing 14 paragraphs . ”
The letter was signed by one F . O . Adams on behalf of the Director- General , DSS.

Reports cannot be ignored —Senators
The lawmakers , who drilled Magu for about two hours during the confirmation hearing for his appointment on Wednesday, insisted that the issues raised by the DSS could not be ignored.

Senator Dino Melaye , after several lawmakers had asked various questions to which Magu responded , recalled that there were two letters from the DSS , which had placed a moral burden on the EFCC boss.

He said , “ Mr . Ibrahim Magu , nominee for the position of the chairmanship of the EFCC , having gone through these reports; the first report indicted you but , because of the letter from Mr . President , you are here again . Just yesterday, this report was received from the DSS.

Paragraph 14 of that report reads thus: ‘ In the light of the foregoing , Magu has failed the integrity test and will eventually constitute a liability to the anti -corruption drive of the present administration. ’

“ I conclude that there is a case right now in the police station , which you are aware of , where EFCC people raided a particular house and C of Os were taken and those C of Os were found in the market; and police have investigated and two of the C of Os have been returned to the owner.

“ Under your watch as EFCC Chairman , do you still think you , after this report and as a result of what has happened to the C of Os of an innocent Nigerian, are qualified to be the Chairman of EFCC or we take you to Golgotha?”

Also , Senator Barnabas Gemade pointed out that there were “ three major accusations ” in the DSS report , “ one which is dealing with security fact and the second one is that one Air Commodore Umar Mohammed secured accommodation for you , and the third one is an issue of integrity. ”

He added , “ They say that perception is very important and this issue is of integrity . They said Umar, whom I do not personally know , is a dubious personality and this report , therefore , tends to show that your friendship with this Umar Mohammed indicates that your integrity is also in question and you have not responded to that matter . As a senator , who is Umar Mohammed and what is your relationship with him ?”

Magu slams DSS over reports

Magu, in his response, dismissed the DSS reports. He also said he knew Mohammed only when both of them were appointed as members of a presidential committee which probed the Nigerian military.

He said , “ This paper ( report he was holding) is the same paper ( Melaye read ) . I have read it . There were two reports of such submitted to this office the same day and there were two of such reports submitted by the same law enforcement agency; two different reports submitted the same day about the same people . That goes to tell you the credibility of such an institution.

“ I have respect for everybody in this hall ( chamber ) and I have senior brothers in this hall. Elder Gemade , please , what does it mean if an institution can submit two varying reports on the same person on the same day. Dino is my friend and we were fighting corruption together until he came to this house here and abandoned us . I have to be open.

“On the case with the stolen C of Os , it is not everything that is done in the EFCC that I have knowledge of . The EFCC is too big . Believe you me , if not now, I didn’ t know there was a case pending against EFCC staff in police station. I will now go back and investigate it and give you feedback after my investigation.

“ My relationship with Air Commodore Umar Mohammed ( retd . ); I didn ’ t know him from Adam until we were appointed as members of the armed forces investigation panel; that was the first time I knew Umar Mohammed. The house I am staying actually belonged to the late ( former Minister of Information ) Dora Akunyili.

After her burial , her son , who was staying in the US, was looking for money. That was how the house was got. It was rented. They call it ‘ safe house. ’

http://punchng.com/presidency-keeps-mum-as-senate-blocks-magu-again/

1 Share

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by talkofnaija: 6:54am On Mar 16, 2017
So, no one else than this MAGA? undecided
MEANWHILE
WATCH VIDEO OF BOY AND GIRL CAUGHT DOING IT IN CCTV FOOTAGE. >>>http://www.uk-mmm.tk/p/shame-boy-and-girl-caught-doing-it-in.html?m=1

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by Kpakorich: 7:02am On Mar 16, 2017
Mtcheeeeewwww....Fada lawd.. Why Magu everywhere

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by Young03(m): 7:08am On Mar 16, 2017
Is magu the only reputable person to chair Efcc?

7 Likes

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by ijustdey: 7:22am On Mar 16, 2017
He said , “This paper ( report he was holding) is the same paper ( Melaye read ). I have read it . There were two reports of such submitted to this office the same day and there were two of such reports submitted by the same law enforcement agency; two different reports submitted the same day about the same people. That goes to tell you the credibility of such an institution.

corruption fighting back.....

thats why the House of Rep wants the house to pass a bill so they can be the one to nominate the person that head the EFCC......

Nigerians shine your eyes and do the needful when next election comes by and elect credible persons and not just money bags and corrupt individuals.....

thieves that call themselves legislators
cc lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by ojun50(m): 7:46am On Mar 16, 2017
Magu bt why
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by PatriotTemidayo: 10:05am On Mar 16, 2017
Is it not the same govt that wrote a letter against him. Or to whom do you think Daura of SSS is loyal. Its the same govt fighting itself. Trust me. These guys are just same old criminals.......whether Bubu or others.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by Realdeals(m): 10:10am On Mar 16, 2017
For what? President Buhari should take the blame, when DSS an agency under your control is going against your wishes, it shows you're not in control. We await who will give way..... Magu or Daura

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by talkofnaija: 10:31am On Mar 16, 2017
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by bestman09(m): 10:31am On Mar 16, 2017
n
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by Negotiate: 10:32am On Mar 16, 2017
lol
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by oviejnr(m): 10:32am On Mar 16, 2017
Ok
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by johntaiwo123(m): 10:32am On Mar 16, 2017
Okay
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by mykelmeezy: 10:32am On Mar 16, 2017
is this mugu of a guy the only person buhari deems fit to appoint

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by okonja(m): 10:34am On Mar 16, 2017
Is about to go down grin grin
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by Calebosko(m): 10:34am On Mar 16, 2017
Coruption can never be eradicated in nigeria. When it is the responsibility of a corupt senate to enthron a corupt Magu sent by a corupt and confused president to fight the corupt senetors. Remember the wife of the corupt Tinubu who help brought corupt buhari into power is one of the corupt senetors... Imagene how both corupt PDP AND APC came together to deny corupt magu confirmation yestaday. And the the corupt magu who couldnt tell the amount recovered so far expect to be confirmed as efcc chairman by the caucus of the same corupt Akpabio whom he placed his school under investigation..I pity the corupt comon man on the streat living in a corupt nation like nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by Wiseandtrue(f): 10:35am On Mar 16, 2017
Magu have asked the public to expose him if he was CORRUPT and I think that is more than enough on his own part.

But I must say that the evil men do now lives with them. If he had jailed these corrupt people (governors, Senate's e.t.c) without delay questioning his incorruptible nature would have being avoided because it would have being glaring for all to see.

But he was playing god, buying them time when they were falling at his feet. Now once again for him I must say "evil has triumphed over good"

Good luck to him as he continues his fight against corruption in his personal way!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by TundeHashim(m): 10:35am On Mar 16, 2017
I feel for this man...he just sounds too innocent, too cool, too honest...that DSS boss is just mad
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by Dannyset(m): 10:38am On Mar 16, 2017
I wonder what goes on in the mind of Foreigners whenever they see our Sinators in action in that their unhallowed chamber.
I weep for us in this country.
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by wellmax(m): 10:39am On Mar 16, 2017
Buhari just observing things.

If he talks they will say he is interfering
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by tinsel: 10:42am On Mar 16, 2017
PatriotTemidayo:
Is it not the same govt that wrote a letter against him. Or to whom do you think Daura of SSS is loyal. Its the same govt fighting itself. Trust me. These guys are just same old criminals.......whether Bubu or others.
I am confused about Buhari.DSS which he controls is blocking Magu and he has no power to do any thing. The first time we can call it a mistake. But the same thing happened the second tire. Buhari fall my hands.
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by hosstringer: 10:42am On Mar 16, 2017
sad shocked
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by burkingx(f): 10:42am On Mar 16, 2017
sad

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by ipobarecriminals: 10:46am On Mar 16, 2017
sadAkpaibo (whatever useless name e be),Saraki, the renowned thief, Eke -ni-madu,babachair the grass cutter merchant, the Daura man @ helm of DSS and some miserable, worthless people are behind magu Issue.
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by Akaujaa(m): 10:48am On Mar 16, 2017
Nigerians should know that the entire senate irrespective of party affiliation is a very strong family with common interest. Anytime, their common interest is threatened, they resist it with vehemence. These whole drama by the senate is just to intimidate not only Magu but also whoever that the president will appoint to replace him. The senate have seen that the FG's fight against corruption is a serious one with the EFCC as the dreaded bulldog. So intimidating Magu out of office will be a warning to whoever the president will appoint next.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 10:52am On Mar 16, 2017
God help us
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by Jabioro: 10:52am On Mar 16, 2017
I can't understood our presidency..
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by ipobarecriminals: 10:53am On Mar 16, 2017
Akaujaa:
Nigerians should know that the entire senate irrespective of party affiliation is a very strong family with common interest. Anytime, their common interest is threatened, they resist it with vehemence. These whole drama by the senate is just to intimidate not only Magu but also whoever that the president will appoint to replace him. The senate have seen that the FG's fight against corruption is a serious one with the EFCC as the dreaded bulldog. So intimidating Magu out of office will be a warning to whoever the president will appoint next.
All of them are THIEVES

1 Like

Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by Nobody: 11:01am On Mar 16, 2017
I kept asking myself some of this questions,
1)how on eqrth do we have senators like malqye.
2)why must APC allowed people like saraki to continued as senate president.
3)why must the party allowed rogue senators like malaye and others to continue in the party.
4)Buhari put daura in charge of DSS and he is working against his government,why not show him the exit door Or call him to order.
5)does the APC senators suppose to be working for the gvt or against the gobernment
Re: Presidency Keeps Mum As Senate Blocks Magu Again by Saintp(m): 11:01am On Mar 16, 2017
Realdeals:
For what? President Buhari should take the blame, when DSS an agency under your control is going against your wishes, it shows you're not in control. We await who will give way..... Magu or Daura

PMB does not want Magu but wants the job of removing him to fall on others, that has been his style. He tries to play saint in controversial issues but use proxies to get his way. Otherwise did he not see the report from DSS before it got to the Senate? Or is DSS now above his authority?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bwala: Polls Giving Obi Victory Are "419 Polls" / EFCC Arrest Gbenga Daniel, Akala And Doma. Declares Goje wanted. / EFCC Re-Arraigns Embattled Justice Ajumogobia, Withdraws Name Of Godwin Obla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.