Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,662 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

How The World's Currencies Got Their Names - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How The World's Currencies Got Their Names (31363 Views)

TOP 10 – The Most Expensive World Currencies In 2020...most Think Is Pounds / 15 Most Lowest/Cheapest World Currencies In 2019 / 25 Most Expensive World Currencies In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by grandeoj09(m): 7:41am On Mar 18, 2017
soberdrunk:
Naira nko? angry

Naira is named after NAIRALAND. What else?

3 Likes

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by emeka2847: 7:41am On Mar 18, 2017
Nope. It was 1 naira to 1 pound then. Check again.

donfemo:
This post made me do a quick research on the history of Naira, i didn't get how the name originated. I wonder who was drunk and named it naira on 1 January 1973. but can you imagine that the Naira was 2 Naira to 1 pounds then?
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by donfemo(m): 7:43am On Mar 18, 2017
emeka2847:
Nope. It was 1 naira to 1 pound then. Check again.

Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_naira
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Ihateafonja: 7:44am On Mar 18, 2017
lool
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by anyicash(m): 7:44am On Mar 18, 2017
Raphaelmary:
Tanx jhare. At least no be bbn or davido or suleman or all dis small yeyebrity news. But naira no dey dia, abi naira no be currency?
Naira was gotten from "Ara" which means madness.

2 Likes

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by olanrewaju99(m): 7:45am On Mar 18, 2017
Kuwait dinnar is the highest currency in world. Is it not spend by human being I always wonder why naira always lacking behind. Oyinbo and their modern ways of slavery. Whitemen will be saying devalue naira for us to come and invest in your country, our leaders are not helping matter at all.
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by surrogatesng: 7:46am On Mar 18, 2017
nice to know
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Nobody: 7:57am On Mar 18, 2017
Nice...
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Cutehector(m): 7:59am On Mar 18, 2017
All those shouting naira... Please go back to school..

2 Likes

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Nobody: 8:01am On Mar 18, 2017
Educative and much better than the graphic photos, the carnal and the "reaction" articles.

But the OP could have also included the Naira's history to tailor it to the local audience.

This is why you lose 10%... I grade this 90%

angry...for making us use Google for the Naira's origin
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by misterawo: 8:05am On Mar 18, 2017
Naira: Never allow Igbos rule again.

1 Like

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by saintade01(m): 8:06am On Mar 18, 2017
weedtheweeds:
Nigeria needs to change the country's name from Nigeria to Benueria. The blood spilled on the River Niger during the Biafra/Nigeria civil war keeps holding the country back. The name has to be changed for this country to move forward. All corners of the world the name Nigeria strikes fear in the hearts of people. The name is a stigma to us and posterity. To me, i would advise every state to become a country. Lagos is bigger than Togo, Plateau is bigger than many countries in land mass.
change our currency and change our country's name. The name is tarnished already. We are stigmatized and profiled everywhere because of our country.

WHAT IS THIS ONE SAYING NAU
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by southpole: 8:07am On Mar 18, 2017
weedtheweeds:
Nigeria needs to change the country's name from Nigeria to Benueria. The blood spilled on the River Niger during the Biafra/Nigeria civil war keeps holding the country back. The name has to be changed for this country to move forward. All corners of the world the name Nigeria strikes fear in the hearts of people. The name is a stigma to us and posterity. To me, i would advise every state to become a country. Lagos is bigger than Togo, Plateau is bigger than many countries in land mass.
change our currency and change our country's name. The name is tarnished already. We are stigmatized and profiled everywhere because of our country.
It is not the name of the country that matters but the attitudes of the people of that country, if you like change Nigeria to any name as long as the attitudes of the people remain the same the profiling and stigma will stii be there. A poisonous substance by any name still remain poisonous even if you decide to call it honey.

4 Likes

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 18, 2017
Raphaelmary:
Tanx jhare. At least no be bbn or davido or suleman or all dis small yeyebrity news. But naira no dey dia, abi naira no be currency?

That one na currency , even cowrie get value pass am now

2 Likes

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by ITbomb(m): 8:15am On Mar 18, 2017
That awkward feeling when you know how all other world currency got their name but you don't know how your country's own came about.

History is dead in Nigeria, all we remember is APC/PDP and BBnaija

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by shumuel(m): 8:17am On Mar 18, 2017
Baba Awolowo gave us the Naira, all Nigerians should know that.
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by chidooh1: 8:24am On Mar 18, 2017
The name "Naira" was a word to humiliate the side that lost in the civil war. This is the meaning "NIGERIAN ARMY IS READY AGAIN"
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Tisham20(m): 8:27am On Mar 18, 2017
OK
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by akigbemaru: 8:27am On Mar 18, 2017
World currency
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by saintade01(m): 8:37am On Mar 18, 2017
weedtheweeds:
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by miky2002(m): 8:46am On Mar 18, 2017
donfemo:
This post made me do a quick research on the history of Naira, i didn't get how the name originated. I wonder who was drunk and named it naira on 1 January 1973. but can you imagine that the Naira was 2 Naira to 1 pounds then?
You don't value your past heroes, at least they deserve some respect from you, you need to give it to them.

1 Like

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Mccullum: 9:04am On Mar 18, 2017
Nigerian currency was name by former head of state Gen. Yakubu Gowon by removing it out of the country name Nigeria. (Naira)
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by kinnlive(m): 9:07am On Mar 18, 2017
BlacSmit:
And still no news about the poor depreciating naira...
Or is it because the words of the good lord say 'be compassionate on the poor"?

U choose not to talk about it at all?
crazy guy
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by donfemo(m): 9:20am On Mar 18, 2017
miky2002:

You don't value your past heroes, at least they deserve some respect from you, you need to give it to them.

My past heroes labored in Vain. The current leaders made sure of that.

1 Like

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Intrepid01(m): 9:42am On Mar 18, 2017
Mccullum:
Nigerian currency was name by former head of state Gen. Yakubu Gowon by removing it out of the country name Nigeria. (Naira)

You need to do more research...your submission isn't true....Gowon is still alive, he won't even claim anoda man's glory.
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Samirana360(m): 10:07am On Mar 18, 2017
Naira from nairaland....case closed
Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by toocoded: 10:46am On Mar 18, 2017
weedtheweeds:
Like having United states of Nigeria or United Kingdom of Nigeria, right?

1 Like

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by kingdenny(m): 11:05am On Mar 18, 2017
The only currency that has a name and surname Pounds Sterling grin

1 Like

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Nobody: 11:05am On Mar 18, 2017
Obviously no one thought about the translation 'spend this and buy' in Yoruba. Na eyi ra. Which metamorphosed into naira

2 Likes

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Ugosample(m): 11:12am On Mar 18, 2017
weedtheweeds:

Is Nigeria the only country that spilt blood (which btw bloodshed was two ways)

Germany under Hitler spilt more blood than Nigeria ever did in the civil war yet they are Europe most developed economy

United States lost more people than Nigeria during it's own civil war, yet they are the most developed country on earth .

Did they change their name?
Did they change their currency?

The answer is obvious.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How The World's Currencies Got Their Names by Nobody: 11:24am On Mar 18, 2017
my primary school teacher once told me when they introduced naira in the 70s they were compalining what kind of name is this NAIRA, owo ana ra. means mmoney u spend till u lost. lol he gave no clue on how d name came about. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? / Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! / CBN Stops Sales Of Forex To Bureax-De-Change

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.