Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) (1317 Views)

Governor Ikpeazu Seeks Federal Government’s Support For Cross River Superhighway / Tension In Cross River Communities Over Superhighway / Nigerian Superhighway Threatens The Last 300 Cross River Gorillas Sign Petition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Blue3k(m): 6:08pm On Mar 20, 2017
Cross River superhighway EIA fails to impress 3rd time out

The Environmental EIA stakeholder event was hosted in Calabar by the Federal Ministry of Environment on the proposed Cross River Super Highway, today, Thursday, 16 March 2017. It was graced by the State Governor, Ben Ayade who made an emotional case for a speedy approval that cited political detractors, seized oil wells, reduced revenues and enemies of progress willing to sell their future for a few bucks. He stated that the world has moved on from environmental conservation and is practicing management, whatever that means. He came with a flag waving contingent from the NLC and was loudly cheered by his supporters. 

Shockingly he left the venue after his speech without listening to any feedback from communities who will be affected by this project and some whose crops where destroyed over a year ago without a kobo of compensation. He did not dwell on his initial seizure of 25% of the land mass of Cross River State for this one road that was fought and reversed a week ago.

So The EIA for the cross river superhighway has been sent back to the state for being substandard twice. The consultant today acknowledged that the Federal Ministry of Environment scored the process low because of low community consultation, inadequate field work and a host of other issues. Today in the audience community leaders who wanted the project and those who don’t want the project all said the same thing. They have not been consulted. This is the third version of this EIA and they still have not been consulted.

It is mind boggling that a Professor of the Environment is unable to commission competent EIA for the third time in a row. The THIRD version of the EIA is no better. Here are just a few of its issues, some thrown up at the stakeholder event. 

• Again. Poor consultation with communities mentioned and in many places reported, none at all. This is strange when it was easy to mobilize bulldozers to communities and survey the route before they were halted.
• Instances in the document where references are made not to a highway but to an airport or mine. This could be a cut and paste issue from a different document.
• Mention of species found on other continents suddenly attributed to Cross River. Again cut and paste issues from EIA’s belonging to a totally different project
• Mentions of partners who have denied any involvement in the EIA The Federal Ministry of Environment had this to say
• They are tired of the consultant saying they will correct lapses that don’t get corrected 
• Engineering designs should be included in the report
• Environmental safeguard should be addressed
• Social & livelihood plan not addressed
• Baseline data was not thoroughly or adequately done

The third time! This is an EIA commissioned by a Governor that is a Professor of the Environment for a project unknown investors are meant to sink $3.5 billion into. The opposition is not political. Do transparent people oriented projects and follow due process and standards first.

Yes people want roads. The people of New Ekuri for instance want a simple two lane road a few kilometres long to connect them to Ochong on the Federal Highway especially as the AFDB funded road failed to reach it as advertised. They need this as quickly as possible. They also have no water.

Tales of 12 lane superhighways with wi fi and speed cameras that will first destroy property, to evacuate containers to Niger and Chad from a non-existent port, toll vehicles heavily in the process and won’t be completed in the next 10 years are an extremely unfair guilt trip to force on people who need quick, relevant and useful interventions.

EIA aside Please someone help me do math. Our Governor said today that 4,000 trucks will ply that road per day. Suspend disbelief and say yes. How much will they be charged as toll and for how long to recoup the $3.5billion dollars the as yet unknown investor will spend on the road? Assignment!

Pamela Braide Thanks to greencode for live twitter updates on the session and Crossriverstate Civilsociety for a fast recap online.

p.s.  I won’t even touch statements like the world has moved from conservation to management. Anyway let me congratulate ALL who fearlessly put themselves on the line to force the Govt. reversal of the 10 km on either side of 400 m “buffer zone”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8llp6jlUBI

Now the 20.4 km width has reduced to 70 m. Without you 25% of the landmass of Cross River State would have been seized for this mess rendering people landless, without homes or compensation in the name of development. All that is required is respect of process and transparency. Dassol.

Source: https://medium.com/@pdbraide/cross-river-superhighway-eia-fails-to-impress-for-3rd-time-out-7ab8d41c28b6#.vfattm272

I know it's long but read bolded parts. Also consider using text reader app.

Front page please Mynd44 Lalasticlala
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Blue3k(m): 6:11pm On Mar 20, 2017
This is mind blowing, it doesn't even make sense how one person can be so lazy. This egotistical reprobate must be the result of the quota system. I can't fathom how this idiot got any sort of degree in Environmental Studies. It seems like his administration's good at doing a is half baked plagiarism of EIA studies. He wants to take a 25% of the state's land to build a super highway without having any dialogue with the communities affected by this measure. After making fool of himself he essentially drops mic while his trained seals clap for him. People talk down about Rochas but this guy seems deplorable.

Thank God the federal government is not co-signing this guy's plan. The state government doesn't seem interested in checking him. These governors need to get off their high horses. All their brown nosers made them think they're gods.

1 Like

Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Charly68: 4:30pm On Jun 03, 2017
I won't be surprised if Ayade is playing politics with this bogus paper project ..he knows what to do but refused to do them,only God knows how he would bypass protocol to inaugurate the super highway .
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Youngzedd(m): 6:57pm On Jun 03, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Blue3k(m): 7:10pm On Jun 03, 2017
Youngzedd:
Hmmm

Yes the super highway Osinbajo gave thumbs up to. People only sing praises because the are ignorant and like being pandered to. The federal government isn't suporting anything til they do EIA correctly.

zoedew:

Prof Ayade deserves commendation. Environmentalists should instead proactively seek to make inputs into the project with a view to weaving the road around its wonderful forests in a manner that exhibits its beauty an essence for tourists and all to savor for economic profit.

Lol your ignorant about what's been going on so far. Prof. Ayade deserves no praise it's his fault the project won't take off. The environmentalist have been talking to him. He doesn't listen or take these detail into consideration. He gave his speached and walked out of the public hearing about it. This is guy you want to praise?

1 Like

Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by zoedew: 7:58pm On Jun 03, 2017
Blue3k:

Yes the super highway Osinbajo gave thumbs up to. People only sing praises because the are ignorant and like being pandered to. The federal government isn't suporting anything til they do EIA correctly.

Lol your ignorant about what's been going on so far. Prof. Ayade deserves no praise it's his fault the project won't take off. The environmentalist have been talking to him. He doesn't listen or take these detail into consideration. The humans talking to him he bearlt listens.
I see.
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by NCP: 8:23pm On Jun 03, 2017
This is a Boutique Project. DOA. Failed Before Kick starting It.

Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Themandator: 8:57pm On Jun 03, 2017
Blue3k:

Source: https://medium.com/@pdbraide/cross-river-superhighway-eia-fails-to-impress-for-3rd-time-out-7ab8d41c28b6#.vfattm272

I know it's long but read bolded parts. Also consider using text reader app.

Front page please Mynd44 Lalasticlala

Please recommend a text reader for iPad and Android
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Blue3k(m): 9:02pm On Jun 03, 2017
Themandator:

Please recommend a text reader for iPad and Android

Android use @voice aloud text reader
IPAD use NaturalReader.
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Themandator: 9:15pm On Jun 03, 2017
Blue3k:

IPAD use NaturalReader.

Thank you
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Themandator: 7:41pm On Jun 10, 2017
Blue3k:

IPAD use NaturalReader.

Just want to thank you for drawing my attention to the gains of audio reader. I have kybook but I'm always doing the reading neglecting it speak functionality until you advised somebody to try audio reader and since then reading has been more pleasurable.

Initially, it felt a bit awkward but not anyone
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Blue3k(m): 8:19pm On Jun 10, 2017
Themandator:

Just want to thank you for drawing my attention to the gains of audio reader. I have kybook but I'm always doing the reading neglecting it speak functionality until you advised somebody to try audio reader and since then reading has been more pleasurable.

Initially, it felt a bit awkward but not anyone

You're welcome. If you can try an download different accents. Im trying out British accent.
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Themandator: 10:50pm On Jun 10, 2017
Blue3k:

You're welcome. If you can try an download different accents. Im trying out British accent.

I am using Aaron us eng set at 0.6 and 45
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by bomadu(m): 8:37pm On Jun 13, 2017
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass Calabar Contractor Not Paid!!!!

Support our local contractors!
https://www.nairaland.com/3859414/goodluck-ebele-jonathan-bypass-calabar
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by Blue3k(m): 3:46pm On Dec 02, 2017
I find it insane certain people will bend over backwards to obsolve the governor or state assembly for issues with project. The would rather blame environmentalists, foreigners, Lagos or witches. Please can someone explain why cross river state was so inept to begin with? I know many southerners have tragic victim mentality that makes them ignore reality but this is too much.

NtoAkwaIbom PapaBrowne menwongo henryhemon writeprof NigerDeltan IBBG

1 Like

Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 4:00pm On Dec 02, 2017
Blue3k:
I find it insane certain people will bend over backwards to obsolve the governor or state assembly for issues with project. The would rather blame environmentalists, foreigners, Lagos or witches. Please can someone explain why cross river state was so inept to begin with? I know many southerners have tragic victim mentality that makes them ignore reality but this is too much.

NtoAkwaIbom PapaBrowne menwongo henryhemon writeprof NigerDeltan IBBG

Present
Re: Cross River Superhighway EIA Fails To Impress 3rd Time Out (must Read) by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 4:10pm On Dec 02, 2017
The 3problem with the south are
1.awa oyel mentality.
2.Victim Mentality
3. Ass licking mentality.

Thats how Goodswill built 5dtar hotel, and 5star hospital that are no w abandoned after the sinking in of billions.

Instead of meeting the need of the community., I which will be a 2 lane road, conecting the community and feasible. They are rather talking of 12lane.
Cross River wants to build Ibaka seaport, Akwa ibom also want to build the same Ibaka seaport.

And with that the continuing depleting our billions and borrowing us into dept.

(1) (Reply)

Arab League Gives Ultimatum To Nigeria For Biafra Or Risk Bombings. / Buhari Has Forgotten Me But Favours Amaechi– Okorocha / Reno Omokri Pictured With British Prime Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.