Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone (37157 Views)

UNIPORT Student Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Murder Of 8-Year-Old Girl / Court Sentences Lekan Shonde To Death By Hanging For Killing Wife, Ronke / Boy Whose Hand Was Cut Off For Stealing Phone In Delta Caught Stealing Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Iamsammy(m): 9:13am On Mar 21, 2017
Maghan37:
I think it is a befitting sentence. Those who think diff did not read the story. The Igbo boy did not just steal the phone but also tried to commit murder. Stealing the iPhone is one thing but stabbing someone on the head for it is another thing entirely. It shows how despicable he is and a waste of society . If he can kill for an iPhone then I cannot imagine what he 'all do for a million naira.
bros d Igbo boy committed manslaughter not murder, manslaughter attract 21yrs imprisonment not death sentence, datz a hell of a judgement
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by mfm04622: 9:14am On Mar 21, 2017
ekunu:

this is our problem....
just a phone thief...sentenced to 14 years and our polithiefcians move freely...
these same polithiefcians are d reasons why did guy decided to steal....wicked judge

He is an armed robber, not a thief.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by dowjones(m): 9:14am On Mar 21, 2017
jessykings:
Haba,the judge harsh o,
Death sentence for stealing 'ordinary phone' of 87k. Shoo! shocked Dat means if na murder d guy commit, even him spirit sef go follow face firing squad....lolz

Why don't you people ever read the articles before commenting.

The thief stabbed the victim IN HIS HEAD!

He wanted to kill a person because of phone.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Ehinmola(m): 9:14am On Mar 21, 2017
No doubt, the judge is too harsh,although the criminality of the suspect cannot be overuled. By the way what of the political pen robbers that stole the public fund?. I think they deserved public execution.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Joromi1: 9:15am On Mar 21, 2017
ITbomb:

I agree, since the victim didn't die, worst sentence is life imprisonment.
But poor boy, he can't hire a lawyer. This is a judgment misyarn
Life imprisonment is as good as death sentence, if you ask me. And it's an overreach for his crime.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Tonason: 9:16am On Mar 21, 2017
This is miscarriage of justice.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by ehissi(m): 9:16am On Mar 21, 2017
bakynes:

It is you who don't have sense and need to go back to school, so far he didn't die it's still attempted murder, beside the Yoruba guy wasn't the one who stabbed the victim so why give him the death sentence.

So you actually read the story........... shocked

Na E be say na lack of understanding/miscommunication bring wahala.

Well, to start with Godfrey emmanuel can not be charged with a death sentence because he is 14years and is a minor. Ordinarily I expect him to serve that sentence in a juvenile facility because he is under-aged.

Tope abiodun is an adult at 23 and as such is legally responsible for whatever action Godfrey takes, hence the death sentence since they both collaborated on the robbery........ cool

Infact, a good lawyer could have even argued freedom for Godfrey, highest one or 2 months in a juvenile centre or a home for boys, all he needs to do is make a case for the innocence of Godfrey at that age and how Tope abused it and Godfrey panicked and stab the owner in the process.

Though I believe that the sentence was avoidable, if they could afford to pay for good legal counsel, all would have escaped with jail terms but since they dont have cash to spare................OYO

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by mfm04622: 9:16am On Mar 21, 2017
Iamsammy:
bros d Igbo boy committed manslaughter not murder, manslaughter attract 21yrs imprisonment not death sentence, datz a hell of a judgement

You certainly don't know what you are talking about.assignment for you. Go and check the meaning of manslaughter, murder and armed robbery in a dictionary
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by ken55: 9:16am On Mar 21, 2017
The death penalty for stealing a phone! While those who have rubbed this country of Billions of dollars are still walking free. What an hypocritic justice system!!
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Fkforyou(m): 9:21am On Mar 21, 2017
It seems most peeps on nairaland don't read to understand, all they need is just read the heading and then jump to conclusions, Sha, I won't blame them, the heading was very sensational.

All those whining are just been sentimental, it's not easy been a judge, you have to be as pragmatic as possible whether it seem fair to the outside world or not.

In this case the judge was right, although I'm very sure the death sentence would be appealed against and probably reduced to just a fine.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Goznikz(m): 9:21am On Mar 21, 2017
Maghan37:
I think it is a befitting sentence. Those who think diff did not read the story. The Igbo boy did not just steal the phone but also tried to commit murder. Stealing the iPhone is one thing but stabbing someone on the head for it is another thing entirely. It shows how despicable he is and a waste of society . If he can kill for an iPhone then I cannot imagine what he 'all do for a million naira.
Joromi1:

Was he sentenced to death? Nonsense!
Maghan37:
afonja On D Lose Again When Has Tope Bcm An Igbo Name

2 Likes

Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by mfm04622: 9:22am On Mar 21, 2017
bakynes:

Armed robbery without any recorded death cases is not Death sentence. The law is clear on that, besides he was not the one who was holding the knife and stabbed the victim.

Please quote the law let us confirm! It is not about killing, it is about robbing with a weapon! They are a team. If there are 10 armed robbers and only one has a gun, they are all armed robbers. Or do you call the others thieves? Please am waiting for the law so I can learn more. Thank you

1 Like

Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Btruth: 9:23am On Mar 21, 2017
dreamwords:
Yorobbers, everywhere them go crime crime, all the way from oshogbo to abuja
Even if you take afonja away from brown roof republic, you cant take afonjarism away from him
(crime, rape, kill mama, rituals, touts,cawardice, etc)
I bet you are just here to make a fool of yourself. The person who draw the knife, was he a Yoruba man? Read very well before making a comment.

1 Like

Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by mfm04622: 9:23am On Mar 21, 2017
Fkforyou:
It seems most peeps on nairaland don't read to understand, all they need is just read the heading and then jump to conclusions, Sha, I won't blame them, the heading was very sensational.

All those whining are just been sentimental, it's not easy been a judge, you have to be as pragmatic as much as possible whether it seem fair to the outside world or not.

In this case the judge was right, although I'm very sure the death sentence would be appealed against and probably reduced to just a fine.

There is no fine option for armed robbery! Only death or life imprisonment
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Caseless: 9:25am On Mar 21, 2017
bakynes:

Guy you need to go back to school I swear, ask yourself this question the Yoruba boy sentenced to Death was he the one that stabbed the victim? Two even if he was the one who stabbed the victim attempted murder is not murder and only murder get the death sentence.
they should go on an appeal...period! How did you know who stabbed the victim? They were together and in the eye of the law the older one influenced the younger guy. They pleaded for mercy on his behalf.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by EnemaliStatesman: 9:28am On Mar 21, 2017
Nigeria constitution only work on citizens who stole pin-nut and mangoes, but never haver effects on the leaders who are stealing the money that worth the country's assets.... God help us in this country... and God will judge their own case....
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by YoungBlackRico(m): 9:34am On Mar 21, 2017
Caseless:
Justice chizoba orji, you're my judge of the year. Those deserve what they got. How can you stab someone on the head when you already have his phone? Good judgement!
We both know why you made this statement but trust me na you go tire last last on this forum.

*@ topic, the punishment probably wouldn't have been this severe if intent to kill or cause bodily harm wasn't involved.

©YBR
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by YoungBlackRico(m): 9:37am On Mar 21, 2017
Caseless:
they should go on an appeal...period! How did you know who stabbed the victim? They were together and in the eye of the law the older one influenced the younger guy. They pleaded for mercy on his behalf.
You see why he said you should go back to school? Go back and read the report again.

©YBR
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by enuelsmith: 9:40am On Mar 21, 2017
Jerryojozy:
The judge must be high before delivering this wicked and barbaric judgement. Those wey chop our yams still de waka free.

Genius J
You must be stupid. Did you read well at all? Someone that nearly took the life of his victim with knife.. Nice judgement
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by siddique07: 9:41am On Mar 21, 2017
Case closed shocked
Oya make we come an be going undecided
Buh it shoudnt be a death sentence fa!
Na suggestion o kiss
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by YoungBlackRico(m): 9:43am On Mar 21, 2017
enuelsmith:
You must be stupid. Did you read well at all? Someone that nearly took the life of his victim with knife.. Nice judgement
You are the stupid one here, go back and read who did the stabbing undecided

©YBR
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Sirfemi: 9:45am On Mar 21, 2017
U guys should learn how to do ur research instead of making baseless comments

Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Caseless: 9:46am On Mar 21, 2017
YoungBlackRico:
We both know why you made this statement but trust me na you go tire last last on this forum.

*@ topic, the punishment probably wouldn't have been this severe if intent to kill or cause bodily harm wasn't involved. [/color]

[color=#848b79]©YBR
you know why I said what I said, but you went on to tell why the punishment was severe. You have cognitive dissonance. I'm not a tribalist, but i'll speak up when you kill in 'repraisal' for a vulcanizer who was never killed or celebrate that action. Call me a tribalist for that. I've been on this forum for close to 8 years, what do u think i've not seen on here?
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Fkforyou(m): 9:46am On Mar 21, 2017
mfm04622:

There is no fine option for armed robbery! Only death or life imprisonment
But I guess it can be appealed against right?
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by mechanics(m): 9:46am On Mar 21, 2017
The judgement is too harsh o, those who stole billions are still walking free on the streets.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Tisham20(m): 9:52am On Mar 21, 2017
grin the judge is high on something and a disgrace to judiciary
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by ThinkSmarter: 9:52am On Mar 21, 2017
Caseless:
did you read at all? Or you're just blind? They pretended to be in distress and needed to use the victim's phone to make a call, they dispossesed him of his phone and stabbed him on the head. What does that mean to you?
I understood it clearly, but since the victim did not die but only sustained injury, the Judge should have sentenced him to some years in prison.
Death by hanging is too much for the offense
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Maghan37: 9:58am On Mar 21, 2017
Iamsammy:
He committed attempted murder & not manslaughter but also armed robbery which carries a death sentence.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by ManTiger(m): 9:59am On Mar 21, 2017
Jerryojozy:
The judge must be high before delivering this wicked and barbaric judgement. Those wey chop our yams still de waka free.

Genius J
It is not the phone persay, it is the manner of which the owner of the phone was disposed.

He requested for help, out of pity and goodwill the guy offered to help and he tried to kill him to disposes him in the process.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by baganas: 9:59am On Mar 21, 2017
The judgment can only be good only in country where pen robbers whose robbery has been causing more harm, suffering and death in large numbers received similar punishment. ( china)
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by enuelsmith: 10:07am On Mar 21, 2017
YoungBlackRico:
You are the stupid one here, go back and read who did the stabbing undecided

©YBR
if you had read this very well, you should have seen that he was an accomplice to the crime
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by YoungBlackRico(m): 10:09am On Mar 21, 2017
Caseless:
you know why I said what I said, but you went on to tell why the punishment was severe. You have cognitive dissonance.I'm not a tribalist, but i'll speak up when you kill in 'repraisal' for a vulcanizer who was never killed or celebrate that action. Call me a tribalist for that. I've been on this forum for close to 8 years, what do u think i've not seen on here?
Thank you for confirming that. You are in no position to say someone has cognitive dissonance. Let's hope you can handle what you'll be seeing henceforth...

©YBR

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests Five Fake Satellite TV Operators (Photos) / Kano Police Recover Body Of Girl Killed By Kidnapper After Taking N500K Ransom / Suspected Bike Thief Caught In My Area In Ibadan Beaten To Pulp (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.