Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,476 members, 7,836,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone - Crime (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone (37153 Views)

UNIPORT Student Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Murder Of 8-Year-Old Girl / Court Sentences Lekan Shonde To Death By Hanging For Killing Wife, Ronke / Boy Whose Hand Was Cut Off For Stealing Phone In Delta Caught Stealing Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by DontCallMePale: 2:38pm On Mar 21, 2017
oluwafrizzy:

Source http://www.frizzyhub.com/2017/03/3-year-old-man-sentenced-to-death-by.html

A High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has sentenced a 23 years old Tope Abiodun, to death by hanging for stealing an android LG phone valued at N87, 000.

The court also sentenced a teenager, Godfrey Emmanuel, to 14 years imprisonment for the same offence. Another suspect, Samuel Egbe 24-year-old trader at Wuse Market, Abuja, who was charged with dishonestly receiving the LG phone from the 2nd accused (Tope Abiodun), with knowledge that they were stolen, was, however, lucky, as he was discharged and acquitted by the court.

The court was amazed by the ingenuity deployed by the convicts in carrying out the robbery attack on the owner of the LG phone, Jacob Habila, who they attacked with a knife before disposing him of his handset.

According to the prosecution counsel, Assistant Commissioner of Police Simon Lough, the convicts had, on October 3, 2013, at about 9:21pm, positioned themselves half naked, at Impresist junction, Karmo, Abuja, and upon sighting the victim with his LG android phone, approached him to allow them make a distress call to their brother.

They told him they were victims of a robbery attack and would need his assistance to call their brother to bring some clothes for them to put on.

The unsuspecting Habila was touched by their story and in the process of dialling a number that was given to him, the 2nd convict (Godfrey Emmanuel), brought out a knife and stabbed him on the head, while Tope Abiodun escaped with the phone.

With blood dripping from his face, the victim raised the alarm, shouting “thief, thief” which led to the arrest of Emmanuel.
The matter was swiftly reported at the police and Abiodun was arrested a few days later.

The convicts were slammed with a three-count charge by the Commissioner of Police, for armed robbery, contrary to section 6(b) of the Robbery and Firearms Special Provisions Act, Cap R11 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

The convicts were represented by Nnamdi Nwiwu, who made frantic but failed legal efforts to get them off the hook.
The lawyer, however, succeeded in saving the teenage robber (Godfrey Emmanuel) from the hangman’s noose by pleading with the court, after he was found guilty of the offences, to consider the provisions of the Child Rights Act, particularly section 221 and section 405 of the Administrative of Criminal Justice Act and reduce his sentence to 14 years.

After evaluating the submissions of counsel, including exhibits and documentary evidence before her, Justice Chizoba Orji found the 1st and 2nd accused persons guilty as charged.

She held that from the totality of evidence before her, the prosecution had successfully established the case of armed robbery
Death by hanging? That kinda seems like a little too much.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Qudbell(m): 2:49pm On Mar 21, 2017
Ibj50:
this guy
ibro, u follo mi rich NL? Nowhere is safe
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Ibj50(m): 3:29pm On Mar 21, 2017
Qudbell:
ibro, u follo mi rich NL? Nowhere is safe
na so
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Blessing16: 4:25pm On Mar 21, 2017
Maghan37:
I think it is a befitting sentence. Those who think diff did not read the story. The Igbo boy did not just steal the phone but also tried to commit murder. Stealing the iPhone is one thing but stabbing someone on the head for it is another thing entirely. It shows how despicable he is and a waste of society . If he can kill for an iPhone then I cannot imagine what he 'all do for a million naira.
Attempted murder aint murder my dear
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Blessing16: 4:26pm On Mar 21, 2017
[quote author=DontCallMePale post=54805032]
Death by hanging? That kinda seems like a little too much. [/quote
A lot much!
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by stevetee76(m): 4:30pm On Mar 21, 2017
Please keep Quite, did he use the knife? how many people are dead now due to the embezzlement by our leaders, is anything done to them? God will judge.

Maghan37:
I think it is a befitting sentence. Those who think diff did not read the story. The Igbo boy did not just steal the phone but also tried to commit murder. Stealing the iPhone is one thing but stabbing someone on the head for it is another thing entirely. It shows how despicable he is and a waste of society . If he can kill for an iPhone then I cannot imagine what he 'all do for a million naira.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Blessing16: 4:40pm On Mar 21, 2017
martooski:

they cant get anything from an appeal... its not just a case of stealing. someone almost died for Christ sake and u are here complaining.... HABA

They'll get more than something in appeal, did the stabbed guy die? I don't support stealing, don't get me wrong but death by hanging is way too much...Haba!
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by olowo1234567(m): 4:52pm On Mar 21, 2017
Rubbish Mr Justice very soon your son will steal pencil and shall kill by hanging as well
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by eROCK247(m): 4:54pm On Mar 21, 2017
jessykings:
Haba,the judge harsh o,
Death sentence for stealing 'ordinary phone' of 87k. Shoo! shocked Dat means if na murder d guy commit, even him spirit sef go follow face firing squad....lolz

He stabbed someone on d head.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by akigbemaru: 5:15pm On Mar 21, 2017
Sentenced to death for stealing phone.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by lereinter(m): 6:00pm On Mar 21, 2017
Jerryojozy:
The judge must be high before delivering this wicked and barbaric judgement. Those wey chop our yams still de waka free.

Genius J

one of them stabbed jacob habila thats armef robbery go check what the law says the judge gave him maximum sentence
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Barristertemmie(f): 6:37pm On Mar 21, 2017
I give up on our judicial system Death sentence for attempted murder and stealing?
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Tex42(m): 9:13pm On Mar 21, 2017
martooski:

but i believe they brought this on themselves. and that cant be their first time.... e go don tey....

got no pity for them. my sympathy remains with fellow Loyal Nigerians not ole
Of course, I am not in any way clamoring for the perpetrators of such vice to go unpunished, what I am saying is that there should be a better punishment, like a 30,40,50 year jail term and that is even worst than a fair judgement. But what do I know, the judge knows best and interprets the law better than I do.

Like wise ma self bro, have no pity for evil fomenters; the pity wey I get sef no dey enough for good and loyal Nigerians talk'm one of hoodlums...
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Kfed4ril(m): 10:25pm On Mar 21, 2017
Maghan37:

How do you know it's an Igbo boy?
And it's LG not iPhone.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by SupaTee: 12:50am On Mar 22, 2017

Abeg, who is Igbo amongst them?
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by chiefoluigwe(m): 8:01am On Mar 22, 2017
he stabbed with intent to kill and you feel the punishment is too harsh. Whywould be adequate?
Funpeter:
Even when murder is committed. A good lawyer can still look for loopholes to change the cause of justice....

I don't support crime but that judgement is harsh and absurd.

The family should appeal the decision..
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Caseless: 7:20am On Mar 23, 2017
1Rebel:

Technically, I'm not even a nigerian. I pity your frustration.
technically? Elaborate...
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Caseless: 7:22am On Mar 23, 2017
Sammyblaq:

You don't kill but many known men have killed countless and still walking free.

Hard labour he should be set in...
The US will send such dude to corrections.
hard labour, OK! Fine!
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Caseless: 7:27am On Mar 23, 2017
farouk0403:

You are the one with zero ability of reading, the 14 years old "Godfrey" stabbed the man, while 23years Abiodun whisk away with the phone.

Now if you were to be the judge who will you punish more among the two thieves?
in the eye of the law , the older guy led the younger one to the act cos he'd older and expected to have more influence on the younger guy.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by 1Rebel: 3:14pm On Mar 23, 2017
Caseless:
technically? Elaborate...

I migrated to a saner climate some years ago. I'm in the process of ditching the nigerian passport.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by Owodiran1(m): 7:04pm On Mar 29, 2017
Don't forget the part which said they stabbed him on the head . they almost killed him.
jessykings:
Haba,the judge harsh o,
Death sentence for stealing 'ordinary phone' of 87k. Shoo! shocked Dat means if na murder d guy commit, even him spirit sef go follow face firing squad....lolz
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by TheLogicalMind(m): 7:52pm On Mar 29, 2017
The unsuspecting Habila was touched by their story and in the process of dialling a number that was given to him, the 2nd convict (Godfrey Emmanuel), brought out a knife and stabbed him on the head[/b]while Tope Abiodun escaped with the phone.

He and someone else carried out armed robbery and they stabbed their victim in the head with a knife. Armed Robbery is a capital offence under Nigerian Law:

1. (1) Any person who commits the offence of robbery shall upon trial and
conviction under this Act, be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than twenty-one
years.

(2) If

(a) any offender mentioned in subsection ( 1 ) of this section is armed with
any firearms or any offensive weapon or is in company with any person so armed; or

(b) at or immediately before or immediately after the time of the robbery the
said offender wounds or uses any personal violence to any person,
[b]the offender shall be liable upon conviction under this Act to be sentenced to death.

People should read the post in detail before overreacting.
Re: 23-year-old Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Stealing Phone by jzun: 3:32pm On Apr 11, 2017
ThinkSmarter:
I'm not in support of crime, but the gravity of the offence doesn't deserve death sentence. Lesser punishment would hv been better.
And what hv they done with the Politicians stealing millions.
Since the victim only sustained injury, he should hv been sentenced to some years in prison.
My Opinion though.

The death sentence is not for stealing phone is for stabbing the victim in the head. The journalist did not let us know if the victim died. If the victim died, that is murder.

Judges are not mad people. For her to sentence the boy to death, may be the victim died.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Okada Rider And Passenger Exchange Blows Over N50 Change (Photos) / Kano Police Recover Body Of Girl Killed By Kidnapper After Taking N500K Ransom / EFCC Arrests Five Fake Satellite TV Operators (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.