Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria (8825 Views)

Anambra, ABX-World, Begin Agro-Allied Exports To Europe Worth Over $5 Billion / Onshore Oil Fields They Don't Want You To See / Maps Of Oil Fields In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:43am On Dec 21, 2009
tpia.:

if they go, that's fine.

Kenya and South Africa do NOT have oil.

fine for you to say - the difference is that nigeria has oil and has been exploiting it, and it is one of the last viable sources of income for he nation and nigerians

the pull out of those companies is the equivalent of the collpse of kenya's tourism or south africa's minig industry

for someone who claims to have worked in oil and gas, you are woefully ignorant

Oil companies are making illegal money in nigeria cus they are not playing by international rules . . . e.g. gas flaring saves them money which they ougth to be forced to spend.
do you have any idea why gas is flared?

the government insists that gas be sold at a   fixed price that is far below the international rate. the cost of processing the gas is far more than what will be gained from selling it. that is why companies flare gas.

- There are indigenous companies that are operating (hence this issue of capital intensity is not really totally valid) already hence its not like Shell Mobil and others are the only ones capable of doing the job . . .

there are indigenous companies in the downstream sector - which is a completely different ball game. the only indigenous company in upstream is oando. i work  in downstream, and a lot of companies are quite simply disasters waiting to happen .

- Oil companies are making illegal money in nigeria cus they are not playing by international rules . . . e.g. gas flaring saves them money which they ougth to be forced to spend.

- Shell did not become shell in one day . . . it took them time and money (of which there would have been profits and losses). Other countries have tried and succeeded at the increased ownership model hence I can careless about Shell's noise . . .

it says a lot that shell would rather takes its chances in iraq, rather than in nigeria. . .

which countries are these other countries - venezuela? is nigeria - other countries ? funny coming from you -who have chosen to study in a western country - if you ave so much faith in nigeria, why are you not studying here? do you need to be told that the issues in our tertiary institutions exist in all facets of nigeria?
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 5:47am On Dec 21, 2009
@OYB

Edit: (I have removed the reference to women cus I am trying to change  grin grin grin)

Keep on deceiving yourself into believing that I am a racist because:

- Why I consider Allah to be a false god and Mohammed a liar.
- I mention how Europeans have commited genocides against people of colour.
- I tell the truth about how Arabs and Europeans have stolen land and knowledge from Africans and yet have the temerity to look down on Africans.
- I choose not to be brainwashed by Western propaganda nor Arab propaganda, but instead choose to review most of the things I have been taught to believe.
- I do not accept what you accept.
- I mentioned with references how genocides has been perpetrated against Blacks by Whites.
- I mentioned how US documents showed that HIV as a virus was actually manufactured mainly as a biological weapon.
- I mentioned that King Alfred plan shows that Whites already have a plan to attack and exterminate "Black" people.
- I talked about African History.
- I mentioned that salvation has nothing to do with skin colour.
- I mentioned that those perpetrating the myth of a "White Jesus" are the ones who actually have something to hide.
- I mentioned that Allah considers "Black" to be bad and "non-black" good.
- I mentioned (with references) that Global Warming is a Scam being used to scam and hinder the development of the developing countries like Nigeria.

Am a blunt person . . . hence I would not shrink from telling you the truth even if you were my blood brother.

You can continue to believe, worship, obey and copy your Arabs and Europeans as for me I am all for only the truth. . . whether its european or arabs saying the truth or not is irrelevant. The bottom line is that Truth is all that matters.

I choose to love my neighbour as myself . . . this includes telling my neighbour the truth so that my neighbour can make up his or her mind by himself or herself.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:52am On Dec 21, 2009
oyb:

fine for you to say - the difference is that nigeria has oil and has been exploiting it, and it is one of the last viable sources of income for he nation and nigerians

the pull out of those companies is the equivalent of the collpse of kenya's tourism or south africa's minig industry

Nigeria did not always depend on oil.

Before oil, there was the palm oil trade.

Before that, the extremely lucrative slave trade.

Trade isnt meant to be static, or else the slave ships would still be docked at all major coastal towns today.

and since many arent enjoying the benefit of the oil anyway, it might as well go. Not to mention the untold numbers of lives that have been lost thanks to oil. Carnage on the roads, indiscriminate killings and kidnappings, etc.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:53am On Dec 21, 2009
tpia.:

Before oil, there was the palm oil trade.
Yea, what happened to that?

And who were they trading palm oil with?
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:56am On Dec 21, 2009

@OYB

Keep on deceiving yourself into believing that I am a racist because:

- I tell the truth about my taste in women and why.
- Why I consider Allah to be a false god and Mohammed a liar.
- I mention how Europeans have commited genocides against people of colour.
- I tell the truth about how Arabs and Europeans have stolen land and knowledge from Africans and yet have the temerity to look down on Africans.
- I choose not to be brainwashed by Western propaganda nor Arab propaganda, but instead choose to review most of the things I have been taught to believe.
- I do not accept what you accept.
- I mentioned with references how genocides has been perpetrated against Blacks by Whites.
- I mentioned how US documents showed that HIV as a virus was actually manufactured mainly as a biological weapon.
- I mentioned that King Alfred plan shows that Whites already have a plan to attack and exterminate "Black" people.
- I talked about African History.
- I mentioned that salvation has nothing to do with skin colour.
- I mentioned that those perpetrating the myth of a "White Jesus" are the ones who actually have something to hide.
- I mentioned that Allah considers "Black" to be bad and "non-black" good.
- I mentioned (with references) that Global Warming is a Scam being used to scam and hinder the development of the developing countries like Nigeria.

Am I a blunt person . . . hence I would not shrink from telling you the truth even if you were my blood.

You can continue to believe, worship, obey and copy your Arabs and Europeans as for me I am all for only the truth. . . whether its european or arabs saying the truth or not is irrelevant. The bottom line is that Truth is all that matters.

I choose to love my neighbour as myself . . . this includes telling my neighbour the truth so that my neighbour can make up his or her mind by himself or herself.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

i cannot stop laughing at your wackiness  

I guess we all need some entertainment

are you going off tangent because you have no answers to my replies to your posts

funny - a grad student blathering about peer review of conspiracy theories .

oya please tell me - as a blunt, politically incorrect person, do you spout all this white man global agenda bs to your white classmates and teachers and flatmates   cheesy
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:57am On Dec 21, 2009
FL Gators:

Yea, what happened to that?

And who were they trading palm oil with?

probably got knocked out by crude oil- the bulk of it (palm oil trade) was moved to Malaysia or somewhere.

They were trading with the British- it was developed as a substitute for slave trade.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by CarlosVent(m): 6:00am On Dec 21, 2009
what is shell up to sef
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:07am On Dec 21, 2009
oh, I see, tpia.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 6:09am On Dec 21, 2009
I see Royan
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 21, 2009
dayokanu:

I see Royan
I like your eyes
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 6:27am On Dec 21, 2009
oyb:

for someone who claims to have worked in oil and gas, you are woefully ignorant . . . do you have any idea why gas is flared?

1. thank you for the compliment . . .  grin grin grin . . .cus i know i must be right for you to be ruffled.

2. Gas flaring is both a technical problem and a financial issue.

3. Let me say.

- Oil wells can contain both oil and gas within the same underground oil/gas reservoiur . . .
- The companies are faced with a problem during the extraction of the oil from the ground. The problem is that they also encounter gas as a result.
- They are then faced with the problem of either re-pumping the gas into the ground either for storage or to aid extraction of the oil (option 1)  or processing it (option 2) or expelling and burning it (option 3).
- Simple economics and technical contraist makes it obvious why they choose to go for option 3 beccause it saves them money that they would have had to spend to undertake options 1 and options 2. Hence you see, becaues they government does not force them to eliminate option 3, it means the cost they would have incurred as a result of option 1 and 2 then becomes part of their overall revenue.

So @oyb instead of throwing about insults why don't you listen and learn.

there are indigenous companies in the downstream sector - which is a completely different ball game. the only indigenous company in upstream is oando. i work  in downstream, and a lot of companies are quite simply disasters waiting to happen .

- Bros how far . . .so you are even family sef . . .sorry I would reduce my yabbing of you. Now I understand where you get the money that you are throwing around to buy those gadgets . . . . grin grin grin grin

- You are partly right and

- You are partly wrong again . . .

- Yes you are right in that the number of private companies that can do that job of Shell are not that much . . . nevertheless rome was not built in a day, hence i don't see your point.

- Within the Upstream section, the Oil and Gas companies can be divided into two:

- Operators and Marketting companies . . . Shell, Mobil and co are mostly operators and marketting companies . . . yet this does not mean we do not have Conoil, Oando.
- Oil servicing companies. . .check out companies like Oiltest (which i think is an indigenous company  grin grin grin am not 100% sure). For example there is also the company by the name of Pan-Ocean which claims to be an indigenous company in the exploration and production area (i.e upstream sector) (whether pan ocean is truly full indigenous i do not know).

Check the following link (which i stumbled upon  grin) for more companies (for either the Operators and the Oil Servicing companies) : I would have listed the companies but since I am not really sure about their ownership and areas of operation i.e. whether downstream or upstream (even though some of them sound Nigerian) hence it does not make sense for me to list those comapnies as indigenous companies (I am not comfortable presenting something that i can't defend):

http://www.nigeria-oil-gas.com/directory_of_the_nigerian_oil_&_gas_industry-33-1-2-c.html

Also the question becomes, are there enough indigenous Operators/Marketters in the upstream sector: The Answer is NO

Hence the next question becomes how are local companies supposed to survive. . .that is where the Oil Servicing companies come in: Shell and Mobil and co do not do the exploration themselves, instead they employ oil servicing companies to do the job for them. Hence all it takes is money . . .cus the expertise can be obtain via the oil servicing companies.

Notice that if I did not tell you about the fact that oil servicing companies are significantly involved in oil exploration, the probability is that most people do not know that, hence most people tend to make the mistake of thinking that operators and marketters like Shell and Mobil are the ones doing all the job. The same thing can apply to indigenous companies, in that they can hire both local and foreign oil servicing companies until there are more than enough local oil servicing companies to fill the gap and void.

Hence at the end of the day, the lesson to be learned is that Shell and Mobill and co are not indispensable cus in reality the are just operators and marketters. . . the main people that can shake the oil and gas sectors are actually the oil servicing companies of which there is still not enough indigenous companies to fill the void.

if companies like: Petronas (Malaysia) and Petrobras (of Brazil) can make it in competition against the likes of Shell and Mobil, i sincerely do not understand your need for fretting.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 6:35am On Dec 21, 2009
oyb:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

i cannot stop laughing at your wackiness  

I guess we all need some entertainment

are you going off tangent because you have no answers to my replies to your posts

funny - a grad student blathering about peer review of conspiracy theories .

oya please tell me - as a blunt, politically incorrect person, do you spout all this white man global agenda bs to your white classmates and teachers and flatmates   cheesy

Context . . . context . . .chai na wa o. . . .

- Yes you are correct that the phrase "Peer Review" is normally used within the context of a academic research programme. . . nevertheless that is not the context I am hereby using it.

Peer review [/b]used in the context i used it implies that I am comfortable for you to refute the things i have presented by refuting BOTH my statements and/or the references presented alongside my statements . . . . jeez do i have to do everthing myself . .  grin grin grin . . . I think I need to tell your wife to ban you from the internet for a while. . .You are disgracing us . . .geeks  grin grin grin . . just kidding.

Oyb please do not disaapoint me . . . i know you are a geek but u are embarrasing me . . . grin grin grin if you continue like this, even Dayo would consider getting born again. grin grin grin 

Check my post again notice how i used the phrase: [b]I am all for peer review

No2Atheism:

- And I stand by my posts and would gladly apologise once you show where they are wrong . . .

- I don't believe in dogma hence I can careless what your personal opinion really is . . .

What you need to notice is that when i say something, I always do my best to back it up with references which you are free to check and refute . . .hence until you refute those references I would suggest you continue believe each and every dogma that you want . . .as for me: I AM ALL FOR PEER REVIEW.

[size=18pt]I AM BASICALLY SAYING THAT: I AM OPEN TO PEOPLE REFUTING AND SHOWING WITH EVIDENCE WHERE AND HOW MY STATEMENTS ARE WRONG . . .  grin grin grin[/size]

PEER REVIEW DOES NOT WORK BY FIAT OR DOGMA . . . OR JUST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH IT, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AS MY PEER AND MY REVIEWER (get it peer + review = PEER REVIEW) TO SHOW EVIDENCE OF WHERE AND HOW MY STATEMENTS ARE WRONG

Since you claim to be following my postings on nairaland . . .you would notice that I am capable of apologising whenever I realise that something i say is wrong . . . or whenever something points out an error in my statements . . . so please spare me . . .
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by ib612(m): 6:39am On Dec 21, 2009
@oyb:

Tell me how do you wish to spend your own liberty?

I choose to be independent; to know i can do something and do it to the best of my satisfactions. If Mike Adenuga runs his company the way he chose, it's not anyone business to decide for him how to be a company executive. Mind you, it's just your own opinion of the man, anyways.

We need to start investing in our economy and investment don't have to come always from the foreigners. Yes, it's capital outlays is enormous, the way we stock our money in foreign country is not the best use of economic advantage, now that we have reserves that should be invested on building up our infrastructure.

Let's not forget what the topic is all about. It about selling of an existing technology and assets.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 7:11am On Dec 21, 2009
Yea,they've chopped enough,now's da time to cut and run
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by ifychelsea: 7:57am On Dec 21, 2009
angry angry angry
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by HERO111: 8:21am On Dec 21, 2009
RE: Question for an Enrollment Advisor (LTK145017625298X)Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:43 PM
From: "Penn Foster Enrollment Advisor" <info@pennfoster.com>Add sender to Contacts
To: yti111@yahoo.com
Thank you for contacting Penn Foster, the world's leader in distance education!
Our records indicate that you reside in an embargoed country. Regretfully, under the current United States embargo we are prohibited from conducting business with anyone who resides in your country. Your understanding is appreciated.
Sincerely,
Mary Jayne Barrett
Enrollment Advisor

Brethren, that is the reply  i got from an American based distant learning institution on my enquiry to run a programme with them from Nigeria.
Nigeria is forkd. Am getting more and more frustrated with the bad image of this country. Can you imagine? If  these corrupt leaders cant change anything for good then how do u expect militants to change? Fadeup!
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by KunleOshob(m): 8:37am On Dec 21, 2009
The criminals want to sell the oil fields for $5 billion, yet i am quite certain they didn't pay up to 5% of the amount to acquire the fields in the first instance. These rogues have been reaping us off for too long good riddance to bad rubbish. Aside goverment should actively world to empower our local producers like Oando, Conoil, Amni e.t.c
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Youngichou(m): 8:43am On Dec 21, 2009
Yeah many with no doubt no it will come to this.y won't they sell part of it if all that happens is militant bombing their pipes here and there.anyway i don't blame them it's the Government i blamed.i am also a Niger Delta boy by name young
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Youngichou(m): 8:44am On Dec 21, 2009
Yeah many with no doubt no it will come to this.y won't they sell part of it if all that happens is militant bombing their pipes here and there.anyway i don't blame them it's the Government i blamed.i am also a Niger Delta boy by name young
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by modele2: 8:52am On Dec 21, 2009
Quote from No2Atheism
it is the responsiblity of government to force those companies from polluting the environment in which they operate. Yet these same foreign companies have been saved millions of dollars by the laxity of government in enforcing those lawas. Yet this same Shell has the temerity to not want more control of resources by the Nigerian government. They can leave for all I care. . . others whether european or russian or asian are ready and willing to take their place.

- Oil companies are making illegal money in nigeria cus they are not playing by international rules . . . e.g. gas flaring saves them money which they ougth to be forced to spend.

- Nigeria is more or less at the mercy of the international oil companies, hence the bottom line is that we need to reduce that dependence and hence gain more control of our resources. . . if Shell is not okay with that they can take their leave.

Do you all realise that of any shell asset 30% is owned by Dutch Shell. The largest percentage is owned by the government and thus all its liabilities, flaring et al. I think our anger, passion and comments are misplaced.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by NegroNtns(m): 8:53am On Dec 21, 2009
hmmm. . .  cool

I am shocked, given that the post was opened by Debo and judging by the credibilities of respondents, that no one has questioned the 'nature of the assets' they are offering to sell for $5B.  I am going to assume that it was an oversight and not an error of judgement.

let's begin by asking why Shell would sell 'assets' valued at $5B and what those assets could be?

in a recent post I mentioned that this hoolabaloo about global warming is nothing more than 'pocket warming' in reality. I don't know how many of you are aware that carbon credits was already being traded in mercantile exchanges around the globe, at least since 2008; long before Copenhagen summit.

About 2 or 3 years ago, even though it was illegal to flare gas, the Nigerian government under Obasanjo, offered to trade 'gas flares' as credits on the global market.

Prior to joining the Obama regime, Larry Summers, as  economic adviser to World Bank declared that Africa is 'under polluted'. What does this mean? It means that in exchange for monetary rewards, servings as statutory compensation for damages, Africa should open itself to receive the disposals of undesirable pollutant wastes from 'over polluted' industrialized nations. In other words, Western societies are unrepentant about their wasteful lifestyles and its effects on the eco system but rather people of under developed economies ought to step up and balance the gap since their environments is by far and to a large degree still in its natural 'virgin' state.

We saw this demonstrated in the speeches coming out of Copenhagen.

Here is how it works; say GE operates a coal mine in USA. GE has a carbon cap of 5 million cubic tons of emissions allowance per year and that value on the market equates to, say, $50 million. That carbon cap becomes an asset worth $50 million. GE can offer to sell all or part of this asset. If GE produces more than 5 million tons of carbon emissions then it has exceeded its cap and will be penalized. The penalty is a heavy tax. It could either pay the tax or go shop on the market for additional carbon credits to buoy its cap.

What would be the case if GE was located in Africa? It would simply not have a carbon cap, or if it did. . .it would be set at very low ceiling, so that at all times and year round, . . .GE is always having to sell 'assets' on the market to bidding customers in industrialised nations, through global mercantile exchange markets.

In the case of Shell Petroleum of Nigeria, it is sitting on a pollution hotspot, much of which it helped to create in the Delta. It also has a contentious support of the Nigerian government in its failure to halt the flaring of gas, much to the shocking surprise that the Government indeed declared this atmospheric and ecological pollutant 'an asset' for carbon trading.

For those that often misjudge my posts as 'conspiracy theory, this is far from it. Right under our nose and our acute claim of intelligence, the Western world has reduced our quality of life to a commodity tradeable in the market. We give you dollars in exchange for the right to f*#k up your eco system.  

Here is my prediction. . .ultimately and in few years from now, marketers will launch bottled air. It will start in developed nations but it will eventually find its way to our continent and become  a vogue.

At all times, we must ask questions! Trust, but introspect!  wink

1 Like

Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:01am On Dec 21, 2009
Are you serious?
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by blackasia: 9:05am On Dec 21, 2009
YOU THINK WE CAN MANAGE IF SHELL IS KICKED OUT, I JUST HOPE ONE DAY NO COMPANY WILL NEED OUR OIL, NOT BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE THE OIL, BUT BECAUSE OF THE WAY OUR slowpoke LEADERS ARE CHANGING DEALS WITH THIS COMPANIES AND CREATING AN IMPOSSIBLE ATMOSPHERE FOR THEM , IF NA U WETIN U GO DO?
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by init4dmoni(m): 9:21am On Dec 21, 2009
God punish this country!! angry
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 21, 2009

1. thank you for the compliment . . .  grin grin grin . . .cus i know i must be right for you to be ruffled.

3. Let me give a little lecture.

- Oil wells can contain both oil and gas within the same underground oil/gas reservoiur . . .
- The companies are faced with a problem during the extraction of the oil from the ground. The problem is that they also encounter gas as a result.
- They are then faced with the problem of either re-pumping the gas into the ground either for storage or to aid extraction of the oil (option 1)  or processing it (option 2) or expelling and burning it (option 3).
- Simple economics and technical contraist makes it obvious why they choose to go for option 3 beccause it saves them money that they would have had to spend to undertake options 1 and options 2. Hence you see, becaues they government does not force them to eliminate option 3, it means the cost they would have incurred as a result of option 1 and 2 then becomes part of their overall revenue.

So @oyb instead of throwing about insults why don't you listen and learn.

your little lecture is indeed little,

let me just say that i have been lectured by PROFESSIONALS in the industry about the issue of gas flaring, and as expected, you have deliberately or through ignorance, skipped the relevant facts  - the federal government has FIXED the price at which gas can be sold. this is why all of the companies - shell, mobil, chevron flare. it is simply not profitable to process the gas and sell at the imposed rates. do you think they are in business to make a loss?

- Within the Upstream section, the Oil and Gas companies can be divided into two:

- Operators and Marketting companies . . . [color=#990000]Shell, Mobil and co are mostly operators and marketting companies . . . yet this does not mean we do not have Conoil, Oando.
- Oil servicing companies. . .check out companies like Oiltest (which i think is an indigenous company  grin grin grin am not 100% sure). For example there is also the company by the name of Pan-Ocean which claims to be an indigenous company in the exploration and production area (i.e upstream sector) (whether pan ocean is truly full indigenous i do not know).

Check the following link (which i stumbled upon  grin) for more companies (for either the Operators and the Oil Servicing companies) : I would have listed the companies but since I am not really sure about their ownership and areas of operation i.e. whether downstream or upstream (even though some of them sound Nigerian) hence it does not make sense for me to list those comapnies as indigenous companies (I am not comfortable presenting something that i can't defend):

http://www.nigeria-oil-gas.com/directory_of_the_nigerian_oil_&_gas_industry-33-1-2-c.html

Also the question becomes, are there enough indigenous Operators/Marketters in the upstream sector: The Answer is NO

Hence the next question becomes how are local companies supposed to survive. . .that is where the Oil Servicing companies come in: Shell and Mobil and co do not do the exploration themselves, instead they employ oil servicing companies to do the job for them. Hence all it takes is money . . .cus the expertise can be obtain via the oil servicing companies.

Notice that if I did not tell you about the fact that oil servicing companies are significantly involved in oil exploration, the probability is that most people do not know that, hence most people tend to make the mistake of thinking that operators and marketters like Shell and Mobil are the ones doing all the job. The same thing can apply to indigenous companies, in that they can hire both local and foreign oil servicing companies until there are more than enough local oil servicing companies to fill the gap and void.

Hence at the end of the day, the lesson to be learned is that Shell and Mobill and co are not indispensable cus in reality the are just operators and marketters. . . the main people that can shake the oil and gas sectors are actually the oil servicing companies of which there is still not enough indigenous companies to fill the void.

you are missing a simple point - as usual - which 'indigenous oil company' has the resources to pay these oil service companies? with all your noise, you should have an idea of teh figures involved.

hopefully you will not start another 'little lecture' exposing your ignorance on the cost implications of prospecting for oil, and the fact that companies can lose billions in , risks that nigerian investors do not have the resources to face.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 9:29am On Dec 21, 2009
blackasia:

YOU THINK WE CAN MANAGE IF SHELL IS KICKED OUT,  I JUST HOPE ONE DAY NO COMPANY WILL NEED OUR OIL, NOT BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE THE OIL, BUT BECAUSE OF THE WAY OUR slowpoke LEADERS ARE CHANGING DEALS WITH THIS COMPANIES AND CREATING AN IMPOSSIBLE ATMOSPHERE FOR THEM , IF NA U WETIN U GO DO?

Actually from my understanding . . .government is not changing any deal . . .what is probably happening is that the current licenses are about to expire and government is trying to negotiate a more profitable deal with those companies.

So please take note . . .

Yes nigerian government is corrupt
Yes nigerian government is hopeless
Nevertheless this does not mean the foreign companies are saints. . . hence as far as I am concerned . . . no agreement should be gotten into with those companies unlesss it is profitable for nigeria. History shows that they tend to prefer to cheat the host country. . . during the time of ignorance (i.e. when those oil reserves where first being discovered and licenses signed).
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by agitator: 10:00am On Dec 21, 2009
What about the licenses give to Nigerian firms to build and run refineries. How many are functioning today?
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 10:03am On Dec 21, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

hmmm. . .  cool

I am shocked, given that the post was opened by Debo and judging by the credibilities of respondents, that no one has questioned the 'nature of the assets' they are offering to sell for $5B.  I am going to assume that it was an oversight and not an error of judgement.

let's begin by asking why Shell would sell 'assets' valued at $5B and what those assets could be?

in a recent post I mentioned that this hoolabaloo about global warming is nothing more than 'pocket warming' in reality. I don't know how many of you are aware that carbon credits was already being traded in mercantile exchanges around the globe, at least since 2008; long before Copenhagen summit.

About 2 or 3 years ago, even though it was illegal to flare gas, the Nigerian government under Obasanjo, offered to trade 'gas flares' as credits on the global market.

Prior to joining the Obama regime, Larry Summers, as  economic adviser to World Bank declared that Africa is 'under polluted'. What does this mean? It means that in exchange for monetary rewards, servings as statutory compensation for damages, Africa should open itself to receive the disposals of undesirable pollutant wastes from 'over polluted' industrialized nations. In other words, Western societies are unrepentant about their wasteful lifestyles and its effects on the eco system but rather people of under developed economies ought to step up and balance the gap since their environments is by far and to a large degree still in its natural 'virgin' state.

We saw this demonstrated in the speeches coming out of Copenhagen.

Here is how it works; say GE operates a coal mine in USA. GE has a carbon cap of 5 million cubic tons of emissions allowance per year and that value on the market equates to, say,  $50 million. That carbon cap becomes an asset worth $50 million. GE can offer to sell all or part of this asset. If GE produces more than 5 million tons of carbon emissions then it has exceeded its cap and will be penalized. The penalty is a heavy tax. It could either pay the tax or go shop on the market for additional carbon credits to buoy its cap.

What would be the case if GE was located in Africa? It would simply not have a carbon cap, or if it did. . .it would be set at very low ceiling, so that at all times and year round, . . .GE is always having to sell 'assets' on the market to bidding customers in industrialised nations, through global mercantile exchange markets.

In the case of Shell Petroleum of Nigeria, it is sitting on a pollution hotspot, much of which it helped to create in the Delta. It also has a contentious support of the Nigerian government in its failure to halt the flaring of gas, much to the shocking surprise that the Government indeed declared this atmospheric and ecological pollutant 'an asset' for carbon trading.

For those that often misjudge my posts as 'conspiracy theory, this is far from it. Right under our nose and our acute claim of intelligence, the Western world has reduced our quality of life to a commodity tradeable in the market. We give you dollars in exchange for the right to f*#k up your eco system.  

Here is my prediction. . .ultimately and in few years from now, marketers will launch bottled air. It will start in developed nations but it will eventually find its way to our continent and become  a vogue.

At all times, we must ask questions! Trust, but introspect!  wink

- Very good observation . . . about the topic . . . am embarrased to admit that I did not ask the poster what those assets really are. I just went for the jugular of Shell grin grin grin

- Yes most people do not realise that these New World Order people are basically gradually going towards the day and time when they would start taxing people for the air we are breathing . . .notice they have already started taxing companies for CO2 . . . based on a lie.

- What annoys me the most is that most scientists have shown that Global Warming is fraud . . .aimed to do 3 things:

1. Make money. . . through carbon trading as a new form of currency and also through fraudulent green concepts.
2. Facilitate one world government.
3. Hinder the development of Third world countries.

Yet to my suprise some Black Africans are still falling for the fraud . . . and are simply unable to understand that it is a fraud, even despite that it has been shown with scientific evidence that it is a fraud. . . and even despite that it has been shown through the email scandal that it is a fraud.

Prior to joining the Obama regime, Larry Summers, as  economic adviser to World Bank declared that Africa is 'under polluted'

Chineke . . . sooner or later now @oyb would accuse me of being racist . . .

- How can a non-racist person sit in his own country and continent and already be considering the option of polluting another country or continent . . .if that is not racist please tell what it is. it just goes to show that they have no regards for us what so ever . . .yet we have Arab-centric and Eurocentric individuals doing their best to propagate the propaganda.

For those who do not understand the higlighted statement:

Consider it like if someone in his Ibadan House sits up one day and just decides that the house of someone in lagos is under-polluted hence he suitable for pollution with more gabbage.

Do you know how insulting and debasing and pompous that statement really is. . .

oyb:

your little lecture is indeed little,

let me just say that i have been lectured by PROFESSIONALS in the industry about the issue of gas flaring, and as expected, you have deliberately or through ignorance, skipped the relevant facts  - the federal government has FIXED the price at which gas can be sold. this is why all of the companies - shell, mobil, chevron flare. it is simply not profitable to process the gas and sell at the imposed rates. do you think they are in business to make a loss?
@oyb

I do not dispute that fact that you are most probably well learned and highly qualified for your job . . . I apologise if my statement was insulting or if it implies otherwise.

2. Please realise that you are basically saying that same thing that I summarised under points 2 and points 3 with option 2 below . . .
3. Actually we are saying the same things.
4. Your statement is being specific about cost, my statement was an holistic statement covering the cost benefit of processing the gas . . .

Or are you so hell bent on opposing no2atheism that you do not see that you are actually saying and repeating the same thing that you are trying to oppose. Notice what i said in my quote below and compare to what you have said which i quoted

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin

No2Atheism:

3. Let me say.

Hope you realise that we do not always have to oppose each other . . . . grin grin grin

Oyb: you are missing a simple point - as usual - which 'indigenous oil company' has the resources to pay these oil service companies? with all your noise, you should have an idea of teh figures involved.

hopefully you will not start another 'little lecture' exposing your ignorance on the cost implications of prospecting for oil, and the fact that companies can lose billions in , risks that nigerian investors do not have the resources to face.

I never said Rome was built in a day . . . however i gave you examples showing that Nigerian companies have already started on the same part as that of Shell . . .hence over time they would get to the same level. Moreover if they have the same access to the same amount of oil (as Shell and Mobil does). . .it should not be long for them to acquire the same kind of financial muscle to understake bigger and bigger projects.

That is why i gave the example of Petronas and Petrobras . . . showing that Shell is not the be all . . .as far as operators and marketters are concerned.

A few years ago . . .there was no Conoil and Oando . . . yet we now have Oando and Conoil . . . hence cause they are unable to take up the same kind of projects like Shell does not mean there would not be a stop gap solution . . .

Shell itself did not become big overnight. . . .

Oyb: the federal government has FIXED the price at which gas can be sold. this is why all of the companies - shell, mobil, chevron flare. it is simply not profitable to process the gas and sell at the imposed rates. do you think they are in business to make a loss?

Yes they are not in business to make a loss and Nigerians are also not in the business of being slaves of Europeans and likewise the Government is not the business of being responsible for killing its citizens through pollution of gas flaring (notice that i said pollution, i did not say Global Warming  grin grin grin)

Likewise its not the business of the Nigerian Government to develop business ideas for shell, mobil and all when the government imposes fixed cost of gas. Hence the reality is that if the government imposes strigent and hefty financial fines on gas flaring . . .trust me Shell and Co would find a way to solve the gas flaring within a few years. . . .

The gas flaring can solve naija's power problem . . .hence the reality is that Shell and others do not really need to sell the gas . . .they can convert the gas to do something else which they can then sell to the market at reasonable prices . . .

Hence the reality is that Shell and others do not give a hoot simply because they are able to get away with it . . .

Hefty fines are serious deterents . . .  grin grin grin grin

So in reality imposed cost of gas is not really a valid excuse . . .
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Pappyman: 10:26am On Dec 21, 2009
No2Atheism:

- Very good observation . . . about the topic . . . am embarrased to admit that I did not ask the poster what those assets really are. I just went for the jugular of Shell grin grin grin

- Yes most people do not realise that these New World Order people are basically gradually going towards the day and time when they would start taxing people for the air we are breathing . . .notice they have already started taxing companies for CO2 . . . based on a lie.

- What annoys me the most is that most scientists have shown that Global Warming is fraud . . .aimed to do 3 things:

1. Make money. . . through carbon trading as a new form of currency and also through fraudulent green concepts.

Yet to my suprise some Black Africans are still falling for the fraud . . . and are simply unable to understand that it is a fraud, even despite that it has been shown with scientific evidence that it is a fraud. . . and even despite that it has been shown through the email scandal that it is a fraud.

Chineke . . . sooner or later now @oyb would accuse me of being racist . . .

- How can a non-racist person sit in his own country and continent and already be considering the option of polluting another country or continent . . .if that is not racist please tell what it is. it just goes to show that they have no regards for us what so ever . . .yet we have Arab-centric and Eurocentric individuals doing their best to propagate the propaganda.

For those who do not understand the higlighted statement:

Consider it like if someone in his Ibadan House sits up one day and just decides that the house of someone in lagos is under-polluted hence he suitable for pollution with more gabbage.

Do you know how insulting and debasing and pompous that statement really is. . .

I do not dispute that fact that you are well learned and highly qualified for your job . . . I apologise if my statement was insulting.

2. Please realise that you are basically saying that same thing that I summarised under points 2 and points 3 with option 2 below . . .
3. Actually we are saying the same things.
4. Your statement is being specific about cost, my statement was an holistic statement covering the cost benefit of processing the gas . . .

Or are you so hell bent on opposing no2atheism that you do not to see that you are actually saying and repeating the same thing that you are trying to oppose. Notice what i said in my quote below and compare to what you have said which i quoted

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin

Hope you realise that we do not always have to oppose each other . . . . grin grin grin

I never said Rome was built in a day . . . however i gave you examples showing that Nigerian companies have already started on the same part as that of Shell . . .hence over time they would get to the same level. Moreover if they have the same access to the same amount of oil (as Shell and Mobil does). . .it should not be long for them to acquire the same kind of financial muscle to understake bigger and bigger projects.

That is why i gave the example of Petronas and Petrobras . . . showing that Shell is not the be all . . .as far as operators and marketters are concerned.

A few years ago . . .there was no Conoil and Oando . . . yet we now have Oando and Conoil . . . hence cause they are unable to take up the same kind of projects like Shell does not mean there would not be a stop gap solution . . .

Shell itself did not become big overnight. . . .

Yes they are not in business to make a loss and Nigerians are also not in the business of being slaves of Europeans and likewise the Government is not the business of being responsible for killing its citizens through pollution of gas flaring (notice that i said pollution, i did not say Global Warming grin grin grin)

Likewise its not the business of the Nigerian Government to develop business ideas for shell, mobil and all when the government imposes fixed cost of gas. Hence the reality is that if the government imposes strigent and hefty financial fines on gas flaring . . .trust me Shell and Co would find a way to solve the gas flaring within a few years. . . .

The gas flaring can solve naija's power problem . . .hence the reality is that Shell and others do not really need to sell the gas . . .they can convert the gas to do something else which they can then sell to the market at reasonable prices . . .

Hence the reality is that Shell and others do not give a hoot simply because they are able to get away with it . . .

Hefty fines are serious deterents . . . grin grin grin grin

So in reality imposed cost of gas is not really a valid excuse . . .

I'm just making a contribution when your response came, you guys are saying the same thing but your analysis is more detailed.
I'm also in the sector and what I can say is that insensitivity and irresponsibility of our government is the reason why these multinationals are exploiting us.As we speak govt has not come out clearly on gas flaring, the post has been shifting and is still shifting.
I am not a pro-multinationals but I know that we need more serious nigerian companies to step into their shoes.Most of them are and will not survive if they venture there with their present mentality.For me, it is not yet uhuru and no time to start celebrating yet.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by jerryland: 10:29am On Dec 21, 2009
OMG, I have read most of the post here, and to summarize the current action by shell, i would say that,
This is supposed to be a good thing for the Nigerian oil industry and the nations economy in the long run, But would it?

Shell certainly pushed their assets to far with the $5B valuation. angry angry angry
Nigeria has so many potentials, so so so many, in reserves, man power, policies, you name it, the final question is,

When do we start making use of all these potentials for the benefit of the country, its people and the up coming generation! embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

God Help Nigeria!  cry cry cry cry
I am personally praying for this country daily!
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 21, 2009

wrong again

conoil was created from national oil

esso petroleum - unipetrol - oando

there is no way to debate with kooks

let me break it down for you

for some people - protecting the environment etal is a religion. they have made it their life's work. they belive that the earth is in grave danger from man made activities. as with fanatics everywhere, they will ignore any information that goes against their beliefs. they will even suppress such information if they can, because they belive that they are right, and that the right information is just around the corner

all your blathering about a new world order  grin grin grin - the same oil companies you are making noise about are in the business of gas flaring which greenpeace etal claim contribute to global warming.

long before these mails came out , there was already a lot of controversy about global warming - state of fear by micheal Crichton addressed the exact issue - no one really knows if global warming is due to human activity or not - but the beleivers will attack anyone who contradicts such assertions as belonging to the establishement

three or so years ago a Norwegian scientist published a book that contradicted a lot of beliefs about global warming

if asians were making noise about 'global warming fraud' aimed at holding back china or india - you might be making some sort of sense. africa is too far behind to be of any concern

only paranoiacs looking for conspiracies everywhere will see a ''global world order" in everything they see on the news.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 10:49am On Dec 21, 2009
oyb:

wrong again

conoil was created from national oil

esso petroleum - unipetrol - oando

I know . . . .uncle i just did not mention it . . .cus I was talking from the perspective of considering Oando and Conoil as Nigerian owned private entities . . . haba take it easy you do not have to oppose me in everything . . . cool down and try to check the whole context of the discussion before offering your rebuttals.

- ask yourself, what was the context in which i was refering to oando and conoil . . .yes you got it right : i was refering to them in the context of indigenous private companies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EXPOSED!! Rauf Aregbesola's Educational Qualification Is WAEC / The Federal Govt Has Not Paid Federal Workers June Salary / Akpabio's Bid To Withdraw $7.2bn From Dubai Banks Collapse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.