Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,490 members, 7,816,156 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Is It Normal Practice To Have A PRIVATE Baby Dedication? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Normal Practice To Have A PRIVATE Baby Dedication? (828 Views)

Child Dedication Online: My Wife Is Angry I Didn't Spend More / Is It Normal That I Don't Want To Get Married Or Have Kids? / Money Marriage Practice In Cross River State Where Girls Are Sold To Elderly Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Normal Practice To Have A PRIVATE Baby Dedication? by Livie2016: 2:27pm On Mar 21, 2017
Hello all,

Would really appreciate your opinion on the above subject.

My husband and I plan to dedicate our baby in church very soon. The church offered the option of having a normal baby dedication ( where we all dance forward during the church service along with other parents who are dedicating their children) OR a private baby dedication where we have a private dedication ceremony after the church service in a private room. I prefer a general dedication service but my husband prefers a private dedication ceremony and I don't understand why. I'd love to openly celebrate my son, and I feel like this the private ceremony does the opposite. Almost feels like we are hiding him or not proud of him because I conceived him before I got married to my husband. I'm totally proud of him and looked forward to dancing out with him during the church service as opposed to having a private hidden ceremony after the service.

Do parents usually have private baby dedication ceremonies?

Many thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon.
Re: Is It Normal Practice To Have A PRIVATE Baby Dedication? by babythug(f): 3:39pm On Mar 21, 2017
Never heard of this private dedication system oh

Ask your hubby to highlight the perceived advantages

But note that even with the private one your family and friends can be present and you'd still dance as much as you want etc etc
Re: Is It Normal Practice To Have A PRIVATE Baby Dedication? by LewsTherin: 3:39pm On Mar 21, 2017
Is your husband reserved in behaviour? If he is, it will explain his preference for a private dedication. I personally will take that option if offered. Don't assume he is ashamed of your kid. Never assume that. That creates an avenue for resentment.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Normal Practice To Have A PRIVATE Baby Dedication? by sisisioge: 5:27pm On Mar 21, 2017
Baby love, I doubt if your husband's preference of the ceremony is borne out shame or desire to hide the baby. Some people just don't like the paparazzi ni. Talk to him again though to see if you two could reach a compromise.

I would be happy with a private dedication, in fact, I would be very happy to have my baby dedicated and named on the day he/she is born in the hospital with only 5 or six people in attendance. Me, the daddy, my sister and any other close loved one(s) grin . Oh, I will love my children like no one else babes...proudly cool

3 Likes

Re: Is It Normal Practice To Have A PRIVATE Baby Dedication? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 21, 2017
Yes, parents do have private child dedications.
I like a private child dedication_ reason being that I am not a fanfare person and I believe its a frugal option. Your family can also be present, it's allowed.

It doesn't mean you love your baby less, no one loves that LO like/more than you both. It's even cost-effective, no reception or dragging goat into the church grin.
You can ask for his reasons if that will make you feel better.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Heads Up In Unforseen Divorce / Hogfurniture.com.ng - Your Most Affordable Online Furniture Store. / Why Do You Have A Facebook Page

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.