Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,353 members, 7,819,254 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

The Real Interpretation And Meaning Of 7 Days (izu Asaa) In Igbo Calendar - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Real Interpretation And Meaning Of 7 Days (izu Asaa) In Igbo Calendar (1416 Views)

Igbo Calendar Apps Flood Google Play Store / Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) / "Amebo" In Nigeria Parlance: Its Origin And Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Real Interpretation And Meaning Of 7 Days (izu Asaa) In Igbo Calendar by Youngadvocate(m): 8:05pm On Mar 21, 2017
Saw this old piece of paper inside one of my books today and remembered the story behind it.

While taking a particular course few years ago, a Yòrúba professor challenged me to tell him what the number "7" (SEVEN) meant to Igbo people and why they attach/attached so much importance to it. I couldn't say something meaningful on that. I felt embarrassed and immediately went into some quick researches when I had gone home. I was able to quickly scribble some of these points to get the professor know I wasn't a lazy student when I must have returned to him the next day to answer him.

Summary of the points:

One Month in Igbo calendar is Izu Asaa (7 weeks). The 4 market days multiplied by 7 weeks give you 28 days, which make one month in Igbo cosmological interpretation of a full moon cycle. Perhaps, Ndigbo derive all other arrangements of numbers from this very full moon cycle which they hold as natural. Thus, relating with other parts of the world in their belief that man imitates nature in many of his ideas and concepts.

In my part of Igboland which is Ihiala, Anambara State, when a man is inducted into the prestigious Ọzọ Order — in the pure traditional and ideal setting — he's meant to stay indoors for Izu Asaa (7 weeks). Then again, after 7 days, if he survives the sanctification and purification times, he is fit to go for Afịa Ọzọ (a special shopping of onye Nze).

Egwurugwu (rainbow) naturally has 7 colors. In Ihiala, when Egwurugwu is 'unusually' seen, it is taken that onye ọzọ (especially the aged) is about to die. This belief has birthed a saying among Ihiala people, that "onye Nze hie egwurugwu, ọ naa" (when an Nze 'transfigures' into a rainbow, he joins his ancestors).

Hehe! Igbo dị omimi! Igbo is deep!

Biko, my elder sisters and brothers here, I'd appreciate if you can add to this and educate some of us the younger ones, who'd appreciate to learn. Thanks. http://igbobia.com/?q=the-real-interpretation-and-meaning-of-7-days-izu-asaa-in-igbo-calendar-chijioke-ngobili.html

1 Like

Re: The Real Interpretation And Meaning Of 7 Days (izu Asaa) In Igbo Calendar by Youngadvocate(m): 8:49pm On Mar 21, 2017
While you identify with the truths in the information and contents from this Moniker...don't forget the source is Igbobia.com...the Pan-Igbo forum that reveals real facts about and discusses the Igbo people.
A friend of mine introduced me to the site as soon as it was launched a month ago, and ever since, I fell in love with it for the unique knowledge and unknown facts it springs. Of course, anyone can register there...it is fast rising

(1) (Reply)

Questions Every Virgin Bride Has On Her Wedding Night / m / Tribal Difference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.