Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,259 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain (1479 Views)

Dasuki & Co' Trial: Stop This Injustice / Defiant Nnamdi Kanu Rejected Help From Uk Government - British MP / Ibori, Others To Complete Jail Terms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain by Edoji: 12:11pm On Dec 22, 2009
A few weeks ago, the Nigerian Liberty Forum was alerted to the existence of a five-page letter dated 24 September 2009 written by Mr Tony Baldry, the Conservative MP for Banbury, to the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, the Rt Hon David Milliband MP, and copied to the Attorney-General, the Rt Hon Baroness Scotland QC, the Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice, the Rt Hon Jack Straw MP, and the Secretary of State for the Home Department, the Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP.

In this letter, Mr Baldry apparently sought to persuade these senior Cabinet Ministers of Her Majesty’s Government of the need for the Her Majesty’s Government to discontinue the ongoing prosecution of the associates of the former Governor of Delta State of Nigeria, Mr James Ibori, for various money laundering offences at the Southwark Crown Court purportedly on the grounds that the prosecution is damaging to the interests of her Majesty’s Government.

http://elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2481:the-british-mp-trying-to-stop-the-james-ibori-a-co-trial-in-britain&catid=25:politics&Itemid=37
Re: British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain by Lagosboy: 1:38pm On Dec 22, 2009
This is the rot that exists in the so called "democratic state". Democracy i will always insist is not a perfect system neither is it how we are made to believe it is. Imagine if this guy is successful in stopping this trial , then 3 million Nigerians will have lost and he would have gained.

On the other hand , i do not blame him or the British govt if they stop the trial but i do blame the 150 million Nigerians living in Nigeria and have Ibori amongst them. He his a free man , has being acquited by the courts, his assets in Nigeria have not been frozen. Why should the Briish govt do Nigeria's dirty job for them.

This is the same arguement the French authorities give when accused of habouring IBB's wealth , they say " why should we seize the assets of a free man in your country whose assets have not been seized by you".

The only solution to Nigerias problem is a targeted revolution at Nigerias ruling class , otherwise we would forever be holding conferences , talks and shows like the recent one by Chinua Achebe in the US. This conferences will forever be a talking shop. Nigeria's problem has gone beyond talking , it has gone beyond the Nigerian courts, it only needs on solution - force.

In the words of Obama when he recieved the Nobel peace and a commander in chief in war he explained that force is sometimes neccesary to repel the evil that talking will not solve. Lets be real here 49 years and our ruling elite are more or less the same people who have spoiled Nigeria (In Fela's words).
Re: British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain by SkyBlue1: 1:53pm On Dec 22, 2009
Lagosboy:

This is the rot that exists in the so called "democratic state". Democracy i will always insist is not a perfect system neither is it how we are made to believe it is. Imagine if this guy is successful in stopping this trial , then 3 million Nigerians will have lost and he would have gained.

On the other hand , i do not blame him or the British govt if they stop the trial but i do blame the 150 million Nigerians living in Nigeria and have Ibori amongst them. He his a free man , has being acquited by the courts, his assets in Nigeria have not been frozen. Why should the Briish govt do Nigeria's dirty job for them.

This is the same arguement the French authorities give when accused of habouring IBB's wealth , they say " why should we seize the assets of a free man in your country whose assets have not been seized by you".

The only solution to Nigerias problem is a targeted revolution at Nigerias ruling class , otherwise we would forever be holding conferences , talks and shows like the recent one by Chinua Achebe in the US. This conferences will forever be a talking shop. Nigeria's problem has gone beyond talking , it has gone beyond the Nigerian courts, it only needs on solution - force.

In the words of Obama when he recieved the Nobel peace and a commander in chief in war he explained that force is sometimes neccesary to repel the evil that talking will not solve. Lets be real here 49 years and our ruling elite are more or less the same people who have spoiled Nigeria (In Fela's words).

What on earth has what you think about democracy got to do with the issue? Gosh
Re: British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain by mbulela: 2:00pm On Dec 22, 2009
Lagosboy:

you have only added to the talk shop.
lead the way, since you know the way.
others are waiting or you.
Pls do not disappoint.
Re: British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain by Lagosboy: 3:08pm On Dec 22, 2009
Sky Blue:

What on earth has what you think about democracy got to do with the issue? Gosh

This is a british MP, who was the for chairman of intenational development committee (which oversees international affairs) of which Nigeria is international. He has many interests in west african business affairs and he is about to use his office to influence the CPS to drop a case. This is a single man about to influence that deals with millions of Nigerias wealth in a democracy due to his position as an MP.

Several of these MP are stooges of business interests and different lobbies and only dance to the tune of their sponsors. If he his successfull then Ibori would be said to have been successful in getting his lawyers to influence the CPS to drop a case.

Now my saying democracy is not a perfect system doesnt mean I do not acknowledge its benefit neither did i say it is a useless form of govt. It is just demo - Crazy (in felas words again) grin

mbulela:

you have only added to the talk shop.
lead the way, since you know the way.
others are waiting or you.
Pls do not disappoint.

I do accept this , and i hope we can have a courageous leader to lead this struggle sooner rather than later or the latter generation will suffer for ever. I do not have the resources neither have I acquired the necessary intellectual skills to lead a movement, when i have maybe yes!! wink
Re: British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain by Nobody: 12:07am On Dec 23, 2009
My response is off topic cause of another off topic comment I saw.

Democracy is a do as you wish system as far as the people supports you. People can still vote to install a military government, it's still democracy. Nigerian democracy in my own definition is government of the people by the people for my pocket.
Re: British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain by 18platoon(m): 12:21am On Dec 23, 2009
Tony Baldry MP
working for you in North Oxfordshire

text only

* Banbury
* Bicester
* Issues
* News
* Events
* Parliament
* Media
* Gallery
* Blog

25 years serving North Oxfordshire

"Tony has demonstrated energy and commitment to issues well beyond the call of his official duties, both at home and overseas." Christian Aid nominating your MP for the ePolitix Charity Champion award. Tony won the award after a vote of all MPs.

> PROTECT OUR POST OFFICES PETITION

> find out more about Tony
search
newsletter
contact
Contact Tony

Tony is always pleased to hear from you so contact him on the following:

Write to:

Tony Baldry MP
House of Commons
London
SW1A 0AA

Telephone:

020-7219-6465

Arrange an appointment at his next surgery (normal times - Bicester: 9-10am; Banbury: 4-5pm or 5-6pm):

Banbury:
Friday 20 November 2009
Friday 18 December 2009

Bicester:
Saturday 21 November 2009
Saturday 19 December 2009

Please call Barbara at the Banbury Office to make an appointment on: 01295-673-873

Or you can email below:

name

email address

building number or name

postcode

telephone number

Creative Commons Licence
Re: British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain by 18platoon(m): 12:24am On Dec 23, 2009
guys dis wot i could get from the MP's website, please the number above and tell'em wot you feel, thanks.
Re: British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain by JNdupu: 9:24am On Dec 23, 2009
The best thing would be to write to his boss (who is desperately trying to be presentable for the elections next year and would "drop it like its hot" if any whiff of embarassment is seen to be attached to his MPs). I will be doing so.

David Cameron
House of Commons
London
SW1A OAA

Since he also received the original letter, it would be interesting to get his perspective on things.

The other angle would be for the NLF to involve a newspaper (like the Guardian, avoid the "Torygraph" or other right wing leaning tabloids like the Sun or Daily Mail) in the case which is more significant now the Home Office is seen to be hiding under vague exemptions to avoid releasing the letter following a request under the Freedon Of Information Act.
Re: British Mp Trying To Stop The James Ibori & Co Trial In Britain by oge4real(f): 5:42pm On Dec 23, 2009
Would it be out of place to say that the guy has recieved from Ibori's largese? Afterall Nigeria learnt her corruption from her master Britain.

(1) (Reply)

Dora Akunyili And Maurice Iwu Are In London! / Alao-akala's Achievements Are Visible To All - Primate Ola Makinde / Edo,delta not part of Niger delta,Why Abacha And North Created The Niger Delta,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.