Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,538 members, 7,840,269 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? (45170 Views)

Hilarious Throwback:can You Recognise This Celebrities In This Throw Back Photo? / Throwback: Can You Spot The Famous Musician In This Photo? / Tboss Stars In 'Kada River' Her First Nollywood Movie With Eniola Badmus (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by luvinhubby(m): 10:10pm On Jun 10, 2017
Abeg lalasticlala, this is front page worthy so as to help us separate the men from the young boys of today.

I know you agree with me. grin

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by NwaAmaikpe: 12:54pm On Jun 11, 2017
angry

Naptu2

My Nairaland mentor.
Thanks for that Nigerian History thread.
I fall for you sir.

I wish someone can upload videos of the 1991 peak milk advert... The one that had a boy whose friends came over to play games (ludo) and the boy's mom was making tea while his friends were salivating..then his mom invites them too
It goes something like..
"That's coco kiddie"
Kids: "that's time"
Boy's friend: "urm, peak milk does taste good, mommy must change to peak".

Then the Pears baby oil advert of 92 where a girl sued her mom to court for using another baby oil on her kid brother.

Guilty or not guilty, I plead guilty....

Something like that.

Help me out Oga Naptu2 and Ishilove

I also need a link to the Icheokwu drama series on NTA Enugu in the very early 90s that had Cortuma.
I visited the NTA channel 8 TV station sometime in 2014 and they weren't of help.

Finally I need the Nigeria '99 official theme song...that had all the musicians come together somewhat like MJ's we are the world.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by sleeknick: 1:03pm On Jun 11, 2017
Can they identify me?
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by banmee(m): 1:07pm On Jun 11, 2017
Ishilove:
Naptu2, Nairaland's resident Walking Encylopedia Nigernica

It's called Google research. Try it.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Ishilove: 1:13pm On Jun 11, 2017
banmee:

It's called Google research. Try it.
You don't know naptu2 as well as I do so no, it's more than just google research.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Ishilove: 1:16pm On Jun 11, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
angry

Naptu2

My Nairaland mentor.
Thanks for that Nigerian History thread.
I fall for you sir.

I wish someone can upload videos of the 1991 peak milk advert... The one that had a boy whose friends came over to play games (ludo) and the boy's mom was making tea while his friends were salivating..then his mom invites them too
It goes something like..
"That's coco kiddie"
Kids: "that's time"
Boy's friend: "urm, peak milk does taste good, mommy must change to peak".

Then the Pears baby oil advert of 92 where a girl sued her mom to court for suing another baby oil on her kid brother.

Guilty or not guilty, I plead guilty....

Something like that.

Help me out Oga Naptu2 and Ishilove

I also need a link to the Icheokwu drama series on NTA Enugu in the very early 90s that had Cortuma.
I vitisted the NTA channel 8 TV station sometime in 2014 and they weren't of help.

Finally I need the Nigeria '99 official theme song...that had all the musicians come together somewhat like MJ's we are the world.
If you're old as this post suggests then why do you post the kind of fuckery I've been reading from your handle? undecided

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by phranq(m): 1:17pm On Jun 11, 2017
Stars........Sun, mars, Jupiter, Neptune. Thank you.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by stagger: 1:19pm On Jun 11, 2017
Danladi Bako and Onyeka Onwenu - 1st pic
Pamela Mojekwu and Onyeka Onwenu - 2nd pic
Pamela Mojekwu and Danny Gwira or Femi Segun- 3rd pic
Danny Gwira/Femi Segun and Tyna Onwudiwe - 4th pic

Danny dated Pamela. They had a messy breakup. Pamela also had a falling out with Onyeka. Won't mention the details here.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by donqx: 1:26pm On Jun 11, 2017
none
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by sisisioge: 1:27pm On Jun 11, 2017
Thank you OP for the entertainment history.Onyeka is the only familiar face I know there. How time flies...
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by NwaAmaikpe: 1:35pm On Jun 11, 2017
Ishilove:

If you're old as this post suggests then why do you post the kind of fuckery I've been reading from your handle? undecided

Did you ever read that senility a good sense of humor comes with age?
Help me if you can...okay?
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by cloud7: 1:42pm On Jun 11, 2017
OP,you have taken some of us down archival memory lane, you mentioned the duet by KSA and ONYEKA ,Does any one knows other duets/collabo done by early artistes apart from Veno Marioghe/Mike Okri,Segun Arinze/Ese Egese ..??
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Imyourex(m): 1:44pm On Jun 11, 2017
hahn:

Naptu abeg do you have any clips of Tina Onwudiwe? I used to watch her growing up and there is this song she sang and part of the lyrics goes "brothers killing brother, children fighting wars" etc

I always sing it to my wife but will love to have her listen to the song herself

Eeyah! So its that lady that sang that song, I still love to sing it tho dont know thy lyrics well.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Ishilove: 1:48pm On Jun 11, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

Did you ever read that senility a good sense of humor comes with age?
Help me if you can...okay?
You're in your early/early mid 30s...your posts should reflect sensitivity and wisdom born out of increasing age angry angry

I'll search Youtube, although I suspect those ads will be lumped together with many other old ads. You'll have to go through many old ads just to get one. I think that's why you haven't been able to locate them.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by sukkot: 1:54pm On Jun 11, 2017
first pic is oyakhilome drinking shai
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by DanseMacabre(m): 2:49pm On Jun 11, 2017
Ishilove:

I think it's his version of graveyard humour, but he takes it to the extreme some times. He's a brilliant fellow too, it might be surprising to note.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by LyfeJennings(m): 2:50pm On Jun 11, 2017
naptu2:
Answers

The common denominator here, is the tv show Morning Ride.

1) Woman with Onyeka Onwenu in the second photograph and with Femi Segun in the third photograph.

Pamela Mojekwu was the most famous fitness trainer in Nigeria in the 1980s and early 1990s. She had her own tv show on Lagos Television, an exercise segment on Morning Ride (on NTA2 Channel 5) and columns in Vanguard Newspaper, Lagos Weekend newspaper and many magazines.

She also owned an exercise studio called The Bodyshop. Its headquarters was in Ilupeju, with branches at Surulere and Festac. Stars like Onyeka Onwenu, were regular customers at The Bodyshop.

She had a little daughter that suffered from sickle-cell disease. The daughter used to appear in some of her exercise sessions on Morning Ride, performing exercises for children and sicklers (the daughter was around 7 or 8 years old at that time).

She and her assistant (the karate instructor at The Bodyshop) also appeared in a Vitamalt advert.

She left Morning Ride in the mid-1990s, in order to take care of her daughter (in fact, she practically vanished from the scene).

Pamela Mojekwu moved to the US in the early 2000s, partly in order to get treatment for her daughter. She was involved in a car accident in 2009, in which her (now grown up) daughter died.

The City of Chicago charged her with vehicular homicide. The court found her guilty of vehicular homicide and she was jailed.

2) Man in the first photograph

Danladi Bako created Morning Ride in 1988. He was the host of the show from 1988-1992.

It was the best breakfast show on Nigerian tv at that time. Participants at all the weekend's entertainment and social events usually appeared on Morning Ride to promote their shows.

Contestants in Miss Intercontinental, Most Beautiful Girl In Nigeria, Miss Nigeria and other such beauty pageants usually appeared on Morning Ride the morning before the show. I predicted that Miss Jamaica (Sandra Foster) would win the 1989 Miss Intercontinental pageant after seeing her on Morning Ride with Danladi Bako.

Foreign and Nigerian music stars usually appeared on Morning Ride before performing at concerts in Lagos. Musicians also appeared on Morning Ride while trying to promote their latest album. They also had reports from Super Eagles training camps (before any important match), clips of the latest society wedding, etc.

Danladi Bako also created Master Sports (a popular sports programme on NTA2 Channel 5) in 1991. Master Sports had the best sports presenters at that time (Paul Bassey, Chris Eseka, Mitchel Obi and Sam John). He was the first producer of the show and he often appeared as a guest (another regular guest was Mumini Alao).

President Obasanjo appointed him as the director general of the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) in 1999 and he resigned in 2002 to go into politics.

He was turbanned as the Kogunan Sokoto by the late Sultan of Sokoto in 2001.

3)Woman in fourth picture
Tina Onwudiwe had two massive hits in Nigeria in the early 1990s: Black On Black (Asiko Lo Laiye) and a remake of Bob Marley's Turn Your Lights Down Low.

Miss Onwudiwe was also a stylist/fashion designer and she designed most of the costumes that were used in her videos (and some of the costumes that were used in Charlie Boy's videos).

She was nicknamed African Oyinbo because she had a Nigerian father and a British mother.

She brought Charlie Boy to Lagos in the early 1980s, helped him to get a record deal, paid his house rent for two years and helped him to develop his image.

She died of lung cancer in Johannesburg in 2001. Several Nigerian musicians, especially Charlie Boy and Onyeka Onwenu, tried to raise funds for her treatment when a magazine published an article about her battle with cancer. They staged a concert called Time Out For Tyna.

4) Man with Pamela Mojekwu in third picture and Tyna Onwudiwe in fourth picture

Femi Segun was a polyglot. He studied modern European languages at the University of Ife and he spoke English, French, Spanish, Portuguese and a host of other languages. He worked as an interpreter/protocol officer at the Presidency/CVU from 1983-1990.

He was the third host of Morning Ride (after Danladi Bako and Okojie). He hosted the show from the early 1990s to the late 1990s. The two pictures above were taken on the set of the show.

He was Yeni Anikulapo-Kuti's husband (and therefore, Fela's son-in-law). There are rumours about why they divorced, but I won't go into that here.

He was killed in a sports bike accident on Admiralty Way, Lekki in 2014.

I believe that everybody can recognise Onyeka Onwenu (carrying the dumbbells in the second photograph). I don't need to introduce her.

She has appeared on Morning Ride many times. I remember one particular occasion, when she appeared with King Sunny Ade to promote their songs about family planning ( "Choices" and "Wait For Me" ) in 1990. Danladi Bako was interviewing them and they were responding to his questions, when an air force officer sitting near me exclaimed, "Wow!" He was shocked because he didn't know that King Sunny Ade could speak proper English. He kept on exclaiming throughout that segment, "Wow! You don't mean it! This is Sunny!".

Princess 'Deun Adedoyin-Solarin was probably the youngest presenter on Nigerian television in the late 1970s, when she started presenting programmes on the NBC (NTA) at the age of 17.

She co-hosted Morning Ride in the mid-1990s and she currently has her own show, Princess Arise on Ben Tv.

Tina couldn't have died in 2001
I was a big fan of her in the 90s
I remember the Black on Black video and a lot of her interviews so well
She died in the 90s
THAT I AM 1000% SURE OF
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Ishilove: 2:50pm On Jun 11, 2017
DanseMacabre:

I think it's his version of graveyard humour, but he takes it to the extreme some times. He's a brilliant fellow too, it might be surprising to note.
His version is very unsettling.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Ishilove: 2:51pm On Jun 11, 2017
LyfeJennings:

She died in the 90s
THAT I AM 1000% SURE OF
It's 2001. I remember it like it was last year.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by DanseMacabre(m): 2:56pm On Jun 11, 2017
I love Tina's posture in the fourth picture, she seems like a woman completely aware of and at ease with herself.

naptu2, please I wouldn't mind a mention too whenever you create these kinds of threads. I basically wander through the cobwebbed corridors of this place looking for such.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by DanseMacabre(m): 2:58pm On Jun 11, 2017
Ishilove:
His version is very unsettling.

The frequency makes it so.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Ishilove: 3:01pm On Jun 11, 2017
DanseMacabre:

The frequency makes it so.
It makes me wonder how he can possibly type all he has been posting with a clear conscience. The guy's heart be like stone
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by BayodeAkinola(m): 3:02pm On Jun 11, 2017
Back in those days..... Lol...

[url=http://www.mykinhood.com.ng/2017/06/watch-and-download-bovi-man-on-fire2013.html?m=1]click here to watch and download bovi man on fire 2013 PRESIDENTIAL SPEECH[/url] grin cheesy smiley shocked
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by fergie001: 3:05pm On Jun 11, 2017
hahn:

Naptu abeg do you have any clips of Tina Onwudiwe? I used to watch her growing up and there is this song she sang and part of the lyrics goes "brothers killing brother, children fighting wars" etc

I always sing it to my wife but will love to have her listen to the song herself
Asikololaye
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 3:06pm On Jun 11, 2017
LyfeJennings:

She died in the 90s
THAT I AM 1000% SURE OF

You are totally wrong. She died in 2001. Can you provide proof that she died in the 1990s and I'll provide proof that she died in 2001?
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 3:08pm On Jun 11, 2017
Ishilove:

It's 2001. I remember it like it was last year.

Yeah, there was a lot of publicity about her illness because they were trying to raise funds for her treatment.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by DanseMacabre(m): 3:09pm On Jun 11, 2017
Ishilove:

It makes me wonder how he can possibly type all he has been posting with a clear conscience. The guy's heart be like stone

grin grin grin grin grin grin

I think it's either he's going through midlife crisis and can't find a better therapy, or he's an oldie here who's disappointed with the way things are turning out here, and is contributing his quota to the madness.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 3:10pm On Jun 11, 2017
DanseMacabre:
I love Tina's posture in the fourth picture, she seems like a woman completely aware of and at ease with herself.

naptu2, please I wouldn't mind a mention too whenever you create these kinds of threads. I basically wander through the cobwebbed corridors of this place looking for such.

Ok. I was going to create a thread today, but I'll have to create it tomorrow or on Tuesday. I'll tag you when I create it.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by DanseMacabre(m): 3:14pm On Jun 11, 2017
naptu2:

Ok. I was going to create a thread today, but I'll have to create it tomorrow or on Tuesday. I'll tag you when I create it.

Thank you kindly sir.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by nams77: 3:17pm On Jun 11, 2017
naptu2:

Tina Onwudiwe - Black On Black (Asiko Lo Laiye).

Unforunately I don't have a video clip of the song.
Ha. That song that year! The video clip use to baffle me then. Those guys with faces painted white and black
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by donsheddy1(m): 3:24pm On Jun 11, 2017
hahn:

youtube still exist for people like u so research on youtube you'll find the track

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Michael Ugwu: “Why I Bought Banky W’s Range Rover For N2.3 Million” / Regina Askia To Work At Ebola Center In US (She's A Nurse) / #BBNaija: TTT, Miyonse & Uriel At Club Joker Last Night (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.