Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters (5191 Views)

Obasa: 64 Bank Accounts Linked To BVN Of Lagos Assembly Speaker- SaharaReporters / Precious Chikwendu Feeds Femi Fani-Kayode To Prove Saharareporters Wrong (Video) / Oby Ezekwesili Blasts NASS: "Senate Of Scandals, Fat Allowances, Tragi-Comedian" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by ImperialYoruba: 3:52pm On Mar 26, 2017
ivandragon:
I really don't see what is wrong with the letter.

the Senate clearly said, "... subject to your internal mechanisms...".

that shows that while the Senate is asking for a reconsideration of the matter, it would still be subject to the investigations of the Customs.

the problem this regime has plunged this nation into is serious. now every action is viewed through the prism of nepotism, corruption & tribalism.

same people shouting that this PARTICULAR issue is evidence of corruption were quiet when it was revealed that cronies of this regime were getting dollar at N30 to $1 to import INVISIBLE ITEMS when genuine businessmen & employers of labour where battling to get dollars at N450 get to stay afloat...

the whilst blower was even arrested for blowing open the scam & all supporters of PMB could say is that the man talks too much & should be thought a lesson.

Each commitee has its own official letterhead. When a committe corresponds as a matter of official duty the letterhead belonging to the committee is used and members sign the letter into record.

This communication from Senator Uzo is a deviation. This is not a committee letter nor a correspondence of the committe, rather one senator falsifying records and lying to the Comptroller General in order to influence and reverse their decision against this importer who also cheated by importation license for rice to bring in yeast, as documented in the bill of lading.
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by Lexusgs430: 4:14pm On Mar 26, 2017
ciggy000:

am not here to castigate anybody whether mr senator or mr minister but u raised a wrong impression which I corrected perhaps u were misinformed or u opted for d grapevine. I still insist rice importation through d sea ports is very legal.

I concur with your point. So long as the grapevine is grown, harvested and processed in Nigeria. I would happily consume it......
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by ivandragon: 4:31pm On Mar 26, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Each commitee has its own official letterhead. When a committe corresponds as a matter of official duty the letterhead belonging to the committee is used and members sign the letter into record.

This communication from Senator Uzo is a deviation. This is not a committee letter nor a correspondence of the committe, rather one senator falsifying records and lying to the Comptroller General in order to influence and reverse their decision against this importer who also cheated by importation license for rice to bring in yeast, as documented in the bill of lading.

first off, I hold no brief for the senator or anyone else for that matter so let's clear the air on that.

secondly, the senator is the chairman of the committee on customs & tariffs... so using his letterhead is not out of place.

thirdly, your position on the correspondence been the action of one man would become valid IF other members of the committee come out to deny knowledge of the contents of the letter. & knowing that there is no honour among thieves, if the letter was done underhand, Nigerians will get to know soon enough;

fourthly, apropos of my third point, the content of the letter does not suggest any arm twisting or intimidation of Customs. in fact, it clearly recognises the authority of customs by clearly stating subject to internal mechanisms of customs.

fifthly, I am not privy to the documents referred to in the letter, so the issue of falsifying records... I do not know about. but the letter clearly shows that the importer initially declared the 30 containers appropriately, but the agent tried to short change both the importer & customs & the senator is saying that the agent should be sanctioned which means it recognised that a 'crime' has been committed, but it feels the wrong party is been punished for the crime, hence the need for a review...
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by ImperialYoruba: 6:03pm On Mar 26, 2017
ivandragon:

secondly, the senator is the chairman of the committee on customs & tariffs... so using his letterhead is not out of place.

It is practice but not within process. Fraud creep into Government business because people practice out of process and frustrate accountability and due dilligence. A senator must never write a committe decision and standing on his personal letterhead, it is irresponsible and lack honor.
Acts like this has become ingrained in our society to the point we are beginning to see business cards and letterheads in hands of people that have no business using the Seal of Government to run business.

"Friend of the Honorable Senate President", bearing full seal of the senate.

"Cook to the Honorable wife of His Excellency Governor of Isialanga State"

"Tailor to His Eminence, the Chief Justice of Igbala Supreme Court"

When a legislator misappropriates power, he encourages abuse of process and protocol. All must act within process, first time, everytime!

thirdly, your position on the correspondence been the action of one man would become valid IF other members of the committee come out to deny knowledge of the contents of the letter. & knowing that there is no honour among thieves, if the letter was done underhand, Nigerians will get to know soon enough;

We dont need to setup an inquiry and investigation on a simple call for responsibility and respect to the office of a legislator, or do we?

Why is a denial needed to correct an improper way of doing government business and protocol?

In a society of great minds, what you are inferring is reprehensible.

fourthly, apropos of my third point, the content of the letter does not suggest any arm twisting or intimidation of Customs. in fact, it clearly recognises the authority of customs by clearly stating subject to internal mechanisms of customs.

Can you tell me why Senate is even dabbling into seizure of imported goods belonging to a trader? Why does the trade business of one man need to go to a committee deliberation in the legislative house? Has this trader exhausted civil line of redress, has he taken the Customs tobthe courts, and if so why is senate not addressing the court but going straight to customs?

I suspect you are Ibo, you are used to cutting corners, to you this practice is business as usual, is it not?
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by Olril18(m): 6:09pm On Mar 26, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:
I doubt if you can​ read
are you Dino melaye in disguise?
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by ivandragon: 7:06pm On Mar 26, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

It is practice but not within process. Fraud creep into Government business because people practice out of process and frustrate accountability and due dilligence. A senator must never write a committe decision and standing on his personal letterhead, it is irresponsible and lack honor.
Acts like this has become ingrained in our society to the point we are beginning to see business cards and letterheads in hands of people that have no business using the Seal of Government to run business.

"Friend of the Honorable Senate President", bearing full seal of the senate.

"Cook to the Honorable wife of His Excellency Governor of Isialanga State"

"Tailor to His Eminence, the Chief Justice of Igbala Supreme Court"

When a legislator misappropriates power, he encourages abuse of process and protocol. All must act within process, first time, everytime!

We dont need to setup an inquiry and investigation on a simple call for responsibility and respect to the office of a legislator, or do we?

Why is a denial needed to correct an improper way of doing government business and protocol?

In a society of great minds, what you are inferring is reprehensible.

Can you tell me why Senate is even dabbling into seizure of imported goods belonging to a trader? Why does the trade business of one man need to go to a committee deliberation in the legislative house? Has this trader exhausted civil line of redress, has he taken the Customs tobthe courts, and if so why is senate not addressing the court but going straight to customs?

I suspect you are Ibo, you are used to cutting corners, to you this practice is business as usual, is it not?

your last statement confirmed you as a very narrow minded & parochial individual.

what has ethnicity got to do with this discussion?

well, I will let you stew in your quest about my tribe.

all your above submissions are mere speculations & are borne out of a crude desire to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

the first paragraph clearly referred to the "... accompanying documents...", do you know if those documents also contain the resolution(s) of the committee?

on the issue of the senate dabbling into the matter, the senate has the right to dabble into any matter as it deems fit as long as it refers to Nigeria & Nigerians.

there is also what is called lobbying & protecting constituency interests which is normally in politics.

its best you rid yourself of ethnic bias. it only marks you out as someone who is close minded & unexposed.

1 Like

Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by jom28gy(m): 8:02pm On Mar 26, 2017
Saharan reporters are busy body people,are you journalist and also investigative bureau?
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by greenmonk: 9:42pm On Mar 27, 2017
Caveatemptor:

Agent is the representative of the importer .
In the (CEMA) Customs and Excise management act it is assumed the clearing agent is acting on behalf of the importer.
The penalty for fraudulent evasion of appropriate duty to the (1)Importer-Forfeiture of goods to the government. (2)Agent-Forfeiture of his licence and a outright ban from operating the licence in any Customs formation nation wide.

The question I want ask is who fixes the import duty for goods in this country.
If the power is vested solely on customs then the law should be reviewed as the actions of the customs in recent years leaves much to be desired.
policy summersaults are not the best way to run a country and for the fate of 200 million people to rest on the whim of a single person is very wrong.
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by Caveatemptor(m): 4:38am On Mar 28, 2017
greenmonk:

The question I want ask is who fixes the import duty for goods in this country.
If the power is vested solely on customs then the law should be reviewed as the actions of the customs in recent years leaves much to be desired.
policy summersaults are not the best way to run a country and for the fate of 200 million people to rest on the whim of a single person is very wrong.

An ECOWAS committee on Customs fixed the tariff for the West African region so that tarriff I'm all West African nations are uniform and simple.
Tarriff go.from 0% for certain goods. 5% for others. 10%,20% and 100% for luxury goods.

All sub regional Customs are under the World Customs Organization (WCO).
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by AsiwajuNdigbo: 5:49am On Mar 28, 2017
Senator Uzodinma acting alone or in team with a committee has no business interferring in an issue between customs and a importer. This is obstruction of justice, period!

This is not a legislative issue. What's Senate business on an issue that ought to be fought in civil courts?
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by SmartchoicesNG: 7:00am On Mar 28, 2017
Now I am convinced Nigeria has no right thinking youths!

where is the obstruction of justice here?

AsiwajuNdigbo:
Senator Uzodinma acting alone or in team with a committee has no business interferring in an issue between customs and a importer. This is obstruction of justice, period!

This is not a legislative issue. What's Senate business on an issue that ought to be fought in civil courts?
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by Lexusgs430: 3:35am On Mar 29, 2017
ciggy000:

am not here to castigate anybody whether mr senator or mr minister but u raised a wrong impression which I corrected perhaps u were misinformed or u opted for d grapevine. I still insist rice importation through d sea ports is very legal.

The so-called rice, was imported as yeast (hence the seizure)....
Rice is probably not banned, but yeast transforming to rice (would be seized)....
But if rice was not banned, why would our senator import rice under false documentation?
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by ciggy000(m): 11:47am On Mar 29, 2017
Lexusgs430:

The so-called rice, was imported as yeast (hence the seizure)....
Rice is probably not banned, but yeast transforming to rice (would be seized)....
But if rice was not banned, why would our senator import rice under false documentation?
check your facts properly the 30 containers of rice was not imported by the alleged senator rather by uche ogah d owner of masters energy and former abia state gov candidate
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by Lexusgs430: 3:13pm On Mar 29, 2017
ciggy000:

check your facts properly the 30 containers of rice was not imported by the alleged senator rather by uche ogah d owner of masters energy and former abia state gov candidate

So why is the senator getting involved ? I bet you, the senator invested in the importation. He has interest or shares in this dodgy importation.......
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:01pm On Mar 29, 2017
In other, more civilized, countries this scandal is more than enough to force a resignation. But, alas, its Nigeria--- the land where crime is legal--- we're talking about.

What a shame.
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by ciggy000(m): 8:33pm On Mar 29, 2017
Lexusgs430:

So why is the senator getting involved ? I bet you, the senator invested in the importation. He has interest or shares in this dodgy importation.......
masters investment filed a petition to the Senate committee on excise and customs of which the committee chairman wrote d customs.d committee chairman only realised d content of d container was not actually what was declared when customs CG personally responded to d earlier letter. I would advice u check ur facts well
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by LionDeLeo: 10:15pm On Apr 15, 2017
[quote author=SmartchoicesNG post=54955542]
Re: FLASH: Nigerian Senate Of Fraudsters- Saharareporters by LionDeLeo: 10:16pm On Apr 15, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NCC Remits N51.3bn To FG In Q1 / BREAKING: Bad News For APC As Tinubu Sickness Worsen / Tinubu’s Administration Will Wipe Away Your Tears - Akpabio Tells Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.